Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Official Trek DS owners thread

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Official Trek DS owners thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-14, 07:15 PM
steve_cay

Bikes: 2013 Trek 8.4 DS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Went for a 4h ride (on-road and off) today, first real ride on my new RST Vita fork. Before I left, noticed my tires were a bit soft at 30PSI ... surprised the LBS did not properly inflate them before handing the bike back. So up they went to 80PSI.

Ride was definitely firmer with more vibration than before! Most likely more due to the tire pressure than the new fork, I wonder how many people think the RST is rougher because the shop pumped up their under-inflated tires

I do think however the previous plush ride (that I was used to) was now a little missing when on the pavement with fork locked ... on the RST locked is LOCKED! On the Suntour there was still a 1/2 inch of travel when locked which was probably enough to soak up much of the vibrations. On the RST you can always dial it back two clicks from lock, and there is some travel as well.

Hard to go from memory, but I think there is a little less bobbing than before when unlocked which is a good thing. The knobs also feel of much better quality.
Old 07-30-14, 10:49 AM
ROB DS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got my bike back 3 weeks ago and have now put on almost 200 miles (189.25) on the new RST forks. All pavement (road) hill sprint rides; the forks (locked) are certainly more firm or ridgid with less give/bounce. This is really noticeable when my speed going downhill exceeds 25 mph or so. My tire pressure is 75 PSI and I check it 3 times a week so pressure is a non-issue for me. I'll try dialing it back the two clicks that you recommended to see if this is more of an equalizer in comparison to the Suntour, thanks for the tip.

I really like my adjustable stem from Bontrager and rode today with some new grips (XC Contour grips from Specialized), I like the feel of these grips, maybe it's because the flange is not as large and fits my hands better.

I guess in the big scheme of things getting the replacement forks (8.4 & Neko) was well worth the two week wait but I thought the coordination of my LBS and Trek was subpar.

Have a great & safe ride.

Last edited by ROB DS; 09-21-14 at 11:26 PM. Reason: format issue
Old 07-31-14, 12:14 PM
ROB DS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by steve_cay
Went for a 4h ride (on-road and off) today, first real ride on my new RST Vita fork. Before I left, noticed my tires were a bit soft at 30PSI ... surprised the LBS did not properly inflate them before handing the bike back. So up they went to 80PSI.

Ride was definitely firmer with more vibration than before! Most likely more due to the tire pressure than the new fork, I wonder how many people think the RST is rougher because the shop pumped up their under-inflated tires

I do think however the previous plush ride (that I was used to) was now a little missing when on the pavement with fork locked ... on the RST locked is LOCKED! On the Suntour there was still a 1/2 inch of travel when locked which was probably enough to soak up much of the vibrations. On the RST you can always dial it back two clicks from lock, and there is some travel as well.

Hard to go from memory, but I think there is a little less bobbing than before when unlocked which is a good thing. The knobs also feel of much better quality.
I went for a ride this morning and tried dialing the RST fork off the locked position by 2 clicks. It's my opinion that the two clicks (travel) has the same play or give as if the fork was in the full open position, I don't see any difference. Any thoughts on this, thanks.

Last edited by ROB DS; 07-31-14 at 12:17 PM. Reason: format issues
Old 07-31-14, 12:39 PM
steve_cay

Bikes: 2013 Trek 8.4 DS

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ROB DS
I went for a ride this morning and tried dialing the RST fork off the locked position by 2 clicks. It's my opinion that the two clicks (travel) has the same play or give as if the fork was in the full open position, I don't see any difference. Any thoughts on this, thanks.
On mine, one click from lock still seems locked, and two click from locked seems firmer than full open. Although it still seems to have the full travel, just more resistance. This is from pushing down on the steering with my weight, while off the bike.

The manual also seems to say the same thing:
https://www.rst.com.tw/UploadFile/EN/...%20MODELS).pdf

"Lock-out situation: By using the lever to adjust the forks compression from fast to slow gradually, then to locked out position at the end."
Old 07-31-14, 04:11 PM
ROB DS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Steve for the info. Mine appears to have the same travel and resistance/feel at two clicks or when completely open. I'm testing it the same way by pushing down on the steering with my weight while off the bike but really no change at all. Maybe my fork calibration senses are out-of-whack because of my sinus cold? I'm curious if some of the other riders can tell the difference. Thanks & have a great & safe ride.

Last edited by ROB DS; 07-31-14 at 04:14 PM. Reason: format issues
Old 08-05-14, 04:41 AM
Sunsanvil

Bikes: 2013 Trek DS 8.4

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by steve_cay
Trust me, its the fork. No questions the stock Vita spring is a firm whereas the SunTour came with a medium (relatively speaking).

This all just underscores the fact that while no one likes to talk about it, really, the correct fork spring for a given rider is a function of rider weight. In truth when buying a bike we should all be weighed and the fork spring swapped out as need be (exception of course is air sprung forks which just need the correct PSI for you weight). The odds of any bike coming with the right spring for you are 1 in 3 at best. Case in point: my wife doesn't fit into the 90lb-soaking-wet mold which Trek's WSD are made for so her old fork was actually way too soft for her and this swap has sort of worked out in her favor. For me, at 180lb, I think the old one was closer to ideal (I get 0 sag now whereas I use to get ~5-10mm).

Last edited by Sunsanvil; 08-05-14 at 04:54 AM.
Old 08-06-14, 05:25 PM
Eagle1

Bikes: Trek 8.5 DS, Mongoose Switchback SX

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Been two weeks since my LBS sent in my fork recall claim information...., still waiting for my forks
Old 08-06-14, 06:43 PM
sfrank

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you, Eagle1. Haven't heard a peep from my local shop either.
Old 08-07-14, 06:13 AM
Fast ed

Bikes: Trek 8.6 DS, 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Four weeks and no forks yet, took bike back from lbs , not happy with the recall shock going to keep bike the way it. Is, 2013 8.6 .

Last edited by Fast ed; 08-07-14 at 06:37 AM.
Old 08-08-14, 05:00 PM
bgraham111

Bikes: 1996 Specialized Hardrock Sport FS, 2011 Fuji Newest 1.0, 2015 GRC-Single Gecko, 2016 Waterford RS-22

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, Trek and my Trek Dealer never contacted me about the recall. I just happened to stumble upon it today. (Mt LBS doesn't even have it on their website, but they do have other recalls.... )

Taking my 2013 Trek 8.4 DS in tomorrow morning. I assume I'm going to lose it for weeks, which will directly interfere with some of the trips I'm taking. I'm in SE Michigan, so it's not like I have a long summer.

Sounds like I'll get the wrong color, heavier, different angle (thus different handling), weird lockout fork. Not very excitied. And the guy I talked to from Trek wasn't very helpful. Basically told me that's what they are doing, and we'll have to like it. Pretty disappointing. But I'll learn more tomorrow.
Old 08-09-14, 12:39 PM
JFiz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am a new owner of a Trek DS 8.2, as well new to cycling. Can anyone offers some thoughts on upgrades. I am considering bar ends and thinner tires. After riding 90 mile in my first week, I can see how both will be beneficial. I ride primarily on pavement, but will occasionally ride on crushed gravel trails. Over all, I am very happy with this bike, I just want to push it more to the road side and away from the MTB side.

Any thoughts, suggestion, or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-11-14, 11:52 AM
Sojourner62

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bar Ends and Tires

Originally Posted by JFiz
I am a new owner of a Trek DS 8.2, as well new to cycling. Can anyone offers some thoughts on upgrades. I am considering bar ends and thinner tires. After riding 90 mile in my first week, I can see how both will be beneficial. I ride primarily on pavement, but will occasionally ride on crushed gravel trails. Over all, I am very happy with this bike, I just want to push it more to the road side and away from the MTB side.

Congratuations on your new bike. I have bar ends on my DS and would not want to be without them. Not only do they give me additonal hand holds on long rides but also provide leverage when climbing hills. I currently have a little over a thousand miles on my bike and am considering upgrading my tires to Michelin Supremes. These tires get great reviews, are flat resistant, and look like they would be satifactory on hard packed trails and lite gravel. In addition, they appear smoother than the stock tires and so perhaps a bit faster. However, they are expensive.
Old 08-11-14, 07:22 PM
agentfox1942

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
still waiting on my recall to be processed. I have a 2013 DS 8.5 with the NRX. I really hope the new forks are at least equal to the SR NRX. From reading on here, most riders have 8.4's and they seem to like the new Vita's. The 8.5 has remote lock out. The white with blue piping is an awesome color scheme for me and I guess I'll be losing that. It's been three weeks now of no riding and summer is almost over. Although fall riding is much better anyway. My question is why didn't they just replace my 2013 forks with the 2015 NRX's? Trek is still running them on there 2015 models. Same color scheme too.

Just stumbled on to this forum. Looks like a great group of riders with little bickering. I like that. I hope to contribute as much as taking away.
Old 08-11-14, 11:45 PM
ROB DS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride on asphalt, the average elevation gain for my 15 mile ride is now between 900-1100 feet. I typically do this ride in under 75 minutes, I'm not sure how beneficial the bar ends would help me on my specific rides/areas so I really have no opinion/knowledge on that. However, I did switch out the stock pedals for Smimano Pd-MX80 Platform Pedals, I feel more connected to the bike (less slippage) especially on the climbs. I think I would look into changing the pedals first, especially if you're doing road riding in a hilly area or plan to "Push" up your pace in the flats.

I like the feel of the Bontrager LT3 700x38 (Mr.Tuffy Liner) and no flats after 9 months, not sure how much a thinner tire would help with the type of riding I do. I was told (LBS) that I would be very disappointed in flat resistant tires as far as feel is concerned.

Have a great ride & take care.

Last edited by ROB DS; 08-11-14 at 11:50 PM. Reason: format issues
Old 08-12-14, 04:15 AM
arthos

Bikes: TREK 8.6 DS 2115

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hi im new and not sure if reply to thread is ok to ask new question ?
I have bought a trek 8.6 ds,but when i tried to buy mudguards i found no front wheel mountings?
Trek say the only mudguard i can use are crud ?
does anyone know how to fit a full fender to this bike?
regards
arthos

Last edited by arthos; 08-12-14 at 04:23 AM. Reason: mis spelling
Old 08-19-14, 07:43 AM
tamirK

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just got the new fork on my 2012 8.4DS.
Attached are a before and after pictures.
The new fork looks so unbelievably cheap,as if it came out of a 50$ bike.
I don't understand how can trek sell a defective product and then replace it with a lesser one.
These is my 2nd and last Trek bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20140819_162012.jpg (98.5 KB, 486 views)
IMG_20140819_150555.jpg (85.9 KB, 498 views)
Old 08-19-14, 08:45 AM
JJ1330

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JFiz

This is what I did to my 8.3 to tune it more to my riding conditions: I replaced the suspension fork with a Niner carbon fork, replaced the bar with a Ritchey high rise carbon bar, added Ergo 3 grips and a Brooks saddle and changed to a 40 degree stem. The bike lost about 4.5 lbs. and is now much quicker and a bit faster. The most noticeable difference is the improvement in the front braking system over the original set up.
Attached Images
image.jpg (98.1 KB, 297 views)
Old 08-19-14, 11:16 AM
blue_cheese

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I am not so sure about that ....
Personally the original NRX fork looked way worse to me, and performed like a lower quality fork. Perhaps the RST fork is indeed inferior for some other non obvious reason, but at least appearance wise I have to completely disagree.

- The NRX had this cheap looking obvious gold sticker band (just like the rest of the gold on that frame), to me THAT looks cheap. the new one, the decals are at least flush and don't look like they will peel first thing they scrape on a branch.
- The lockout knob on the NRX was plastic, and would pop off every time the suspension bottomed out while riding, the RST fork has a metal knob that is screwed down
- The preload knob on the NRX looked like one from a $100 toys R us bike, it would just keep turning and clicking, dong something appearently, the new one has a pop out thumb knob and clearly tenses, and stops when it gets to a limit
- the old fork lockout was ********, it would not lock out completely (always had some play) and you had to stop riding, and take your weight off the bike(fork) to lock it out or it would lock out compressed sloping the bike fit forward, the new fork locks out and returns to uncompressed position WHILE riding at speed.

So unless you are just opposed to the glossy finish, I think you are overlooking a couple of things.
BTW I have the same model and color scheme, but they changed out my black matte NRX fork for a black glossy Vita, personally I kind of like the look of the white one on your bike. And what is up with that riser stem and suspended seat post?!

Last edited by blue_cheese; 08-19-14 at 11:20 AM.
Old 08-19-14, 03:12 PM
Shanej

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JJ1330
This is what I did to my 8.3 to tune it more to my riding conditions: I replaced the suspension fork with a Niner carbon fork, replaced the bar with a Ritchey high rise carbon bar, added Ergo 3 grips and a Brooks saddle and changed to a 40 degree stem. The bike lost about 4.5 lbs. and is now much quicker and a bit faster. The most noticeable difference is the improvement in the front braking system over the original set up.
What 40degree stem dim you use?
Old 08-19-14, 07:30 PM
tamirK

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blue_cheese
And what is up with that riser stem and suspended seat post?!
Back problems...
Old 08-19-14, 11:10 PM
blue_cheese

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
It is interesting to see the bike set up almost like a comfort cruiser.... does it help? I was ending physio/ostio for a lower back problem when I got my bike. My therapist almost had a heart attack when I told him I am getting back into biking with a trail bike. He was insistent I get a rear suspension bike or suspended seatpost, I never did and I am not sure to say if he was right in his suggestion.

Keep in mind my problem was that my core deteriorated and got so weak due to several years of nearly minimal exercise while I used to have a very active lifestyle, not really a big injury. I figured nothing a bit of Yoga and biking can't fix. I found trail riding especailly helpful on strengthening my core due to the effort it takes to stay balanced.
Old 08-20-14, 06:24 AM
JJ1330

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shanej
What 40degree stem dim you use?
Bontrager stem for the larger diameter bar.
Old 08-21-14, 07:37 PM
since197three

Bikes: 2015 Trek Farley 6, 2013 Trek 8.4 DS, '85 Hutch Trickstar, Schwinn S1 Cruiser

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I'm happy that I decided to jump on the site after a long hiatus. First, was stoked to find this thread. Second. I never received an Email from Trek about this fork recall !! Will be calling my LBS tomorrow to see what the deal is. Has anyone taken their bike to a shop they did not purchase it from?? I moved since buying my 2013 8.4 and hope this shop doesn't give me a problem.

UPDATE: just called my LBS and they are honoring the recall. I'll be bringing my bike in this evening.

Last edited by since197three; 08-22-14 at 09:12 AM.
Old 08-22-14, 07:24 AM
kingfish51

Bikes: Trek 8.6 DS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just joined this forum and mainly want to share my Trek experience. I bought a new 8.6 DS in Mar and was thrilled with the bike. I got the black matte finish and upgraded the stock tires to puncture resistant. Five weeks ago I took my bike to the shop for the recall. I am disgusted that it has been this long and I still don't have my bike. The LBS said that since I have a remote lockout it is taking longer. I have been missing some prime riding time and summer is drawing to a close. I went to the Trek website and sent their customer service an email about my situation. It has been 3 days and I haven't heard a thing from them. So much for customer service. I think it is a disgrace that they can't fix my 6 month old bike that I paid a lot of money for. They are selling new bikes with remote lockouts. I have been a faithful Trek rider for years but I am rapidly becoming a Trek hater. Just had to blow off some steam..... I am so sorry I got the Trek now.
Old 08-22-14, 08:18 AM
Shanej

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It really is a shame that you guys are having to wait this long.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.