Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tubeless gurus

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Tubeless gurus

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-16, 10:44 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
I have an ongoing experiment to see if tubeless will get me toward flimsy roady tires like the grand prix 4000, so far jury is out although I know I trust my tubed marathon supremes for the conditions I have to deal with. I definitely like the sealant just autosealing punctures w/o making me even pull over to reinflate. Don't like the longevity of the tires (schwalbe one) but it could be a worthwhile tradeoff, haven't decided. Also really didn't like spraining my knee after a tubeless tire burped on me brought me down hard and fast. Spoke w/ some friends who ride tubeless and they have also had experiences that increase their caution and steer them away from certain brands (hutchinson!!!).
Old 08-21-16, 09:47 PM
BigPoser

Bikes: BAHL Giro, BAHL Uno, BAHL GVL, Cuevas

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
So I see that a lot of people are on the Pro One's and a handful of others on Fusion's. I got my new wheels and I'm ready to take the plunge.

So for me, I want a tire that is similar to the GP 4000SII's since I've been on them for a while now and they are awesome. I also race a bit so I need to have confidence when racing. I prefer to not ride in the rain so I don't need to worry about that.

So Pro One? Fusion? Something else?
Old 08-22-16, 06:59 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3151 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 1,035 Posts
Originally Posted by BigPoser
So I see that a lot of people are on the Pro One's and a handful of others on Fusion's. I got my new wheels and I'm ready to take the plunge.

So for me, I want a tire that is similar to the GP 4000SII's since I've been on them for a while now and they are awesome. I also race a bit so I need to have confidence when racing. I prefer to not ride in the rain so I don't need to worry about that.

So Pro One? Fusion? Something else?
I can't speak to them personally as I haven't used them, but the IRC Roadlight should be worth a look. It's often overlooked, but from what I've read is a mix of performance and durability, perhaps similar to GP4k2.
Old 08-22-16, 08:25 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
My experience with tubeless is that it works best in lower pressure applications. Recent testing has shown that 32mm+ tires with 60 psi can be a very fast setup and tubeless excels in this applications. I think road tires are going where mountain biking and cross have already gone: low pressure, wider more supple casings and tubeless is just better in many ways.

Also, the most frequent problems with tubeless are caused by people using non-tubeless-specific rims and tires. Use the OEM, designed for tubeless stuff and you'll be fine.
Old 08-22-16, 09:52 AM
dalava

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by deepakvrao
Just switched to tubeless.

Schwalbe Pro 1 Evos with Velocity a23 rims. Had an issue when I tried cheapo tape, but with Velotape no issues at all. Just bought a compressor though as I could not get the tyres to seat with a floor pump.

They feel much much nicer than any other tyre I have ridden. Got the 25mms but they measure 28 on the wide a23 rims. Pressure I have is 90 or so.

Mounting the tyres? Reputedly hard, but with these, it takes 10 seconds a tyre.

Where did you buy that pliers?
Old 08-22-16, 10:25 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Originally Posted by dalava
I've seen the BBB stuff in Europe often; the tool model is BTL-78. It's on Amazon coming out of Japan, but Google shows it available from some EU shops, too.

https://bbbcycling.com/accessories/workshop-tools/BTL-78
Old 08-22-16, 11:24 AM
SteelCan

Bikes: LeMond Reno

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone wish to share their knowledge to explain or clarify?

My current perspective, tubeless does not provide benefits for roadies on group rides in my area (we have potholes, gravel but no extraordinary issues like goat weed). However there are a fervent handful who have drank the Kool-Aid and swear by tubeless. (My issue and observation: at least 4 occasions in past 18mths, the self-sealing tubeless did not "take" and we had a BEAR-of-a-time getting the gunk clear to install tube).

Question: Any benefit to a tubeless-ready rim (no spoke holes) while still using rim tape, tube and standard tire (sans the sealant). My cursory understanding (belief) would be a lower incidence of pinch flats. Only benefit (not enough to tip the scales for me) if the roads are wet, and you want to maximize traction by riding a lower PSI).
Old 08-22-16, 11:34 AM
BigPoser

Originally Posted by chaadster
I can't speak to them personally as I haven't used them, but the IRC Roadlight should be worth a look. It's often overlooked, but from what I've read is a mix of performance and durability, perhaps similar to GP4k2.

Thanks for that. They seem to have good reviews but many have stated that they need to have higher pressures to be effective.

The S-Works Turbo tubeless look good as well, but really expensive.

How many miles do you think you get out of your Pro Ones?
Old 08-22-16, 11:49 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Thanks for that. They seem to have good reviews but many have stated that they need to have higher pressures to be effective.

The S-Works Turbo tubeless look good as well, but really expensive.

How many miles do you think you get out of your Pro Ones?
Yeah, I'm interested in the S-Works Turbo as well! You may know that was designed by the lead engineers who were at Continental and responsible for the GP4k, so it may share some of the same design priorities, but I have no idea.

As for mileage on my Pro Ones, I've yet to wear a tire out, but I don't expect much. I got about 1.2k miles out of two Ones, so if that's any indication of what the lighter P1 will do, it doesn't auger well!

My first P1 took what would become a terminal cut in the first 60 miles. It sealed and made it to about 200 miles before it reopened, bigger than the first time. I don't know if it took another trauma at the location, or if the sealant (and bit of KrazyGlue on the tread) just couldn't hold. I have a new P1 on there now, so hopefully I can take this one full use.
Old 08-22-16, 11:54 AM
BigPoser

Originally Posted by chaadster
Yeah, I'm interested in the S-Works Turbo as well! You may know that was designed by the lead engineers who were at Continental and responsible for the GP4k, so it may share some of the same design priorities, but I have no idea.

As for mileage on my Pro Ones, I've yet to wear a tire out, but I don't expect much. I got about 1.2k miles out of two Ones, so if that's any indication of what the lighter P1 will do, it doesn't auger well!

My first P1 took what would become a terminal cut in the first 60 miles. It sealed and made it to about 200 miles before it reopened, bigger than the first time. I don't know if it took another trauma at the location, or if the sealant (and bit of KrazyGlue on the tread) just couldn't hold. I have a new P1 on there now, so hopefully I can take this one full use.

Yup I had seen that Specialized hired the old Conti guys. Not surprising that now they are making some of the best tires on the market. Your mileage doesn't seem to be a lot of miles to be honest. I could certainly see them for racing, but since my race season is over, I'd probably want something that was a little more hearty. Maybe the IRC's or the Hutchinson's would be a better choice. I've also heard that Bontrager R3's are decent although can be tough to get on the rim.
Old 08-22-16, 12:13 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Yup I had seen that Specialized hired the old Conti guys. Not surprising that now they are making some of the best tires on the market. Your mileage doesn't seem to be a lot of miles to be honest. I could certainly see them for racing, but since my race season is over, I'd probably want something that was a little more hearty. Maybe the IRC's or the Hutchinson's would be a better choice. I've also heard that Bontrager R3's are decent although can be tough to get on the rim.
No, it's not a lot of mileage by my figuring either, although I am 225lbs, and sprint and brake hard often, which are factors in wear rate and which I neglected to mention. Probably a lighter, less aggressive rider could squeeze a bit more out of tread life. Still, you know there are some tires you just can't wear out...!
Old 08-22-16, 02:25 PM
deepakvrao

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by dalava
Bike24.com. 7 Euros.

https://www.bike24.de/p150405.html?_...667.1469464594