Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike Multi Tool

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-20, 12:33 AM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
A serious question

Originally Posted by veganbikes
I want something that uses a proper JIS screwdriver. Really if they made a lightweight version of the CrankBros M10 with a JIS screwdriver and ti tools that would be fine by me. Though the tool from Spurcycle is nice (minus the lack of JIS) and is certainly easier to use in tighter to reach bolts. Loosing the small bits would suck and isn't hard to do but I do like the weight and size of it.
I have a serious question: :What is a JIS screwdriver? It is a driver with parallel sides (not angled)? I have never heard the term before.
Old 03-01-20, 05:50 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
Japan Industrial \Standard---just a little different than the Phillips head angles and proportions the rest of the world uses, because they had to steal the design and "improve" it.

Just like other JIS parts, English pretty much swaps straight across, or close enough to get the job done.
Old 03-01-20, 09:32 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4359 Post(s)
Liked 4,000 Times in 2,669 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill in VA
I have a serious question: :What is a JIS screwdriver? It is a driver with parallel sides (not angled)? I have never heard the term before.
Japanese Industrial Standard. It is a crosspoint screwdriver that is a bit more precise than Phillips so you are less likely to cam out a screw. Shimano derailleurs use JIS screws and having a proper and precise tool to work on them I think is quite important.

I do understand you can work on limit screw and not cam it out with a Phillips if you are careful but as someone who strives to be a professional in the industry I want to use the proper tool. If you can have a tool that is designed for one screw and works better on another why the need for a Phillips screwdriver? I will admit yes the Phillips is easier to find but if you buy a quality tool you won't need to replace it often so heavy availability isn't as needed. However now with Park Tool's DSD-2 you can get one quite easily in the U.S. if you cannot find Vessel.
Old 03-01-20, 09:49 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
With so many multi-tools already, you have to ask yourself what feature or benefit can you provide that isn't already available? If you can't come up with an answer then you should reconsider whether this is the type of product you want to invent.

One thing that might be nice is a configurable tool. One that allows you to remove bits that you don't need or add optional ones that the average person wouldn't.
Old 03-01-20, 11:30 AM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Japanese Industrial Standard. It is a crosspoint screwdriver that is a bit more precise than Phillips so you are less likely to cam out a screw. Shimano derailleurs use JIS screws and having a proper and precise tool to work on them I think is quite important.

I do understand you can work on limit screw and not cam it out with a Phillips if you are careful but as someone who strives to be a professional in the industry I want to use the proper tool. If you can have a tool that is designed for one screw and works better on another why the need for a Phillips screwdriver? I will admit yes the Phillips is easier to find but if you buy a quality tool you won't need to replace it often so heavy availability isn't as needed. However now with Park Tool's DSD-2 you can get one quite easily in the U.S. if you cannot find Vessel.
Thanks. I have heard of that precision "phillips". To avoid that issue I swapped out the stop screws on my one bike's front and RD with metric allen bolts
Old 03-01-20, 12:47 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by Bill in VA
Thanks. I have heard of that precision "phillips". To avoid that issue I swapped out the stop screws on my one bike's front and RD with metric allen bolts
You could do that, it does solve that issue. I am fine with the JIS screwdriver because I can use it all over the house and on my derailleurs and don't have to swap bolts out. There are things that do use a crosspoint screw so might as well have something to fix it.
Old 03-01-20, 01:00 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
https://www.crankbrothers.com/products/m19

Tough to improve on these two options. So I start here and go from there with your improvements?
All seriousness- an aluminum case would be nice, like what the f15 uses. it would help reduce rusting on the tool, keep it from opening up when stored in a wedge bag, and take up.
+1 for the Crank Brothers m19, which did come in an aluminum case for me, I have one in all 3 of my saddle bags: road, commuter, & MTB. But I've always wished the multitool had small pliers or maybe something like a sharp pick to get sharp debris out of a tire during a flat repair. And maybe a built in spoke nipple wrench, for emergency truing.
Old 03-01-20, 01:16 PM
DroppedChain
Slow but Steady

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Different bikes have different tool needs. If you make one for all of them, it will be big and bulky with a lot of unnecessary tools on it for any single bike.

I like the idea of a 1/4" bit holder with a tube that holds the bits. The buyer would load the tube with bits that are specific for their bike and leave the rest home. That would cover hex keys, torx, various sockets, phillips and flat tip tools.
Old 03-01-20, 02:13 PM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
I didn't know this. Thanks.
Old 03-01-20, 08:45 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by BCDrums
I didn't know this. Thanks.
No worries, always happy to help! A goal in life is to get more people using JIS screwdrivers. I got one because I knew I needed it and once I actually started using it I was sold right away.