Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-17, 06:58 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Ttoc6
Speaking of jobs.. I may be taking on a part time weekend gig with the bike shop I've been frequenting. Dropped the hint that I know how to wrench well enough and they are looking for someone. Realistically the money will probably be ****, but I'm so sick and tired of paying full price for everything after years of having a bikeshop job or close contact. We'll see how that pans out.
I'm retired with a decent income, but have a part time job in a bike shop for the same reason. It's nice for consumables like tires and tubes, and friggin' awesome for wheelsets, framesets, and bikes, of which I've bought one each.

Demain, on roule!
Old 09-16-17, 08:07 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just got back from a verrry long day in Boston visiting colleges with my kid. My main takeaway from the visits is that I wish I could go to college. Also he's lucky he's the oldest and we are not yet impoverished, his youngest brother might not be so lucky :/

Apropos of the resume and job application conversation, one place we visited was Northeastern University and I was really impressed by their focus on actually teaching kids how to apply for and get a job, and what to do when you get one. They have a required course that is all about resume composition, interview skills, etc, and all students end up taking basically an extra year to do several semesters of actual paid work experience, not internships, while living on campus. It seems like such an obviously useful thing to teach but we certainly didn't get anything like that when I went to college.
Old 09-16-17, 08:41 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Photos from this morning's ride, by Newman.

Old 09-16-17, 09:00 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Nice!

Demain, on roule!
Old 09-16-17, 09:45 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,062 Times in 4,483 Posts
Is that bird poop all over the rocks in the second shot?
Old 09-16-17, 09:46 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by globecanvas
I just got back from a verrry long day in Boston visiting colleges with my kid. My main takeaway from the visits is that I wish I could go to college. Also he's lucky he's the oldest and we are not yet impoverished, his youngest brother might not be so lucky :/

Apropos of the resume and job application conversation, one place we visited was Northeastern University and I was really impressed by their focus on actually teaching kids how to apply for and get a job, and what to do when you get one. They have a required course that is all about resume composition, interview skills, etc, and all students end up taking basically an extra year to do several semesters of actual paid work experience, not internships, while living on campus. It seems like such an obviously useful thing to teach but we certainly didn't get anything like that when I went to college.
My co-op experience was invaluable. I still graduated in four years, but I had enough credit coming in from AP classes I was able to work two semesters plus two summers at one company. Living at home though, not on campus. Full time. By the time I graduated I had a job already lined up and had enough experience that I was already useful and valuable.
Old 09-16-17, 10:00 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,062 Times in 4,483 Posts
Originally Posted by globecanvas
It seems like such an obviously useful thing to teach but we certainly didn't get anything like that when I went to college.
I was an instructor at a private trade school and part of their training when they first came on was how to act at work. These were mostly guys 18-22, or so, mostly with some trouble in their past, but they seriously had no idea how to behave, how to get through a workday.

Later, I taught a special education class for L.A. school district. I learned that "special education" included everyone from emotionally and mentally challenged to seemingly normal guys who couldn't read, to just mean anti-social jerks.
At both places the best gratification came when one of the students got a job. Some of them were good learning the material and good working with their hands, (think auto shop), but it was hard to convince them they could get a job and actually support themselves.
Old 09-16-17, 10:37 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by big john
Is that bird poop all over the rocks in the second shot?
No, that's just what the quartzite conglomerate looks like.
Old 09-16-17, 10:42 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Flatballer
My co-op experience was invaluable. I still graduated in four years, but I had enough credit coming in from AP classes I was able to work two semesters plus two summers at one company. Living at home though, not on campus. Full time. By the time I graduated I had a job already lined up and had enough experience that I was already useful and valuable.
That's really useful to hear, thanks!
Old 09-16-17, 12:34 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
I got my haircut this morning. They definitely cut more off on the left side than the right.

Also, I went to college in Boston. It was fun. My roommate married a girl who went to Northeastern.
Old 09-16-17, 01:05 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by topflightpro
I got my haircut this morning. They definitely cut more off on the left side than the right.

Also, I went to college in Boston. It was fun. My roommate married a girl who went to Northeastern.
My 6 month review at work is next week or something. My last haircut was for the interview. It's probably time.

Also, there needs to be some difference between a yield sign on the interstate where you get a quarter mile acceleration lane, and one where you're about 4 feet from being dumped into a traffic lane. Up here they use just a yield sign for both situations. It's often a blind approach so you can't tell unless you just know the area.
Old 09-16-17, 02:41 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
being around boston now and having gone to school not too far from the city I can attest to it being a great place all around.

I need some better kit to race unattached, I have some castelli stuff from my prior club that I like but obviously would be poor form to represent a club I'm not paying dues to. The only generic stuff I have are some loose quarter zip garneau jerseys, definitely not a cool look lol
Old 09-16-17, 04:06 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I was an instructor at a private trade school and part of their training when they first came on was how to act at work. These were mostly guys 18-22, or so, mostly with some trouble in their past, but they seriously had no idea how to behave, how to get through a workday.

Later, I taught a special education class for L.A. school district. I learned that "special education" included everyone from emotionally and mentally challenged to seemingly normal guys who couldn't read, to just mean anti-social jerks.
At both places the best gratification came when one of the students got a job. Some of them were good learning the material and good working with their hands, (think auto shop), but it was hard to convince them they could get a job and actually support themselves.
Growing up I was kinda of like that; my mom checked out when she got leukemia and we spent half our time in foster care and those kids were pretty messed up; the foster parents just wanted to rid of us asap. None of us knew how to act properly. Schools didn't want us, and to be fair, it was for good reason. Some of those foster kids are dead or in prison now, the others I don't care to ever see again. Most of them never had a chance in life, they're just too messed up.

Marine Boot Camp really helped me out, I think what helped the most was I was a fair bit smarter than most of those kids.
Old 09-16-17, 05:53 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by furiousferret
I think what helped the most was I was a fair bit smarter than most of those kids.
That's not always enough to make it, but it certainly helps a helluva lot.
Old 09-16-17, 05:55 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by hubcyclist
being around boston now and having gone to school not too far from the city I can attest to it being a great place all around.

I need some better kit to race unattached, I have some castelli stuff from my prior club that I like but obviously would be poor form to represent a club I'm not paying dues to. The only generic stuff I have are some loose quarter zip garneau jerseys, definitely not a cool look lol
Are you in the same area as that club? If not, I would be tempted to use it anyway, their sponsors certainly wouldn't mind some extra advertising, and you're not going to confuse anyone. I haven't raced up here, but I definitely ride in all my old team stuff, because they're 800 miles away and not going to care.
Old 09-17-17, 09:44 AM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcyclist
I race in my old team's kit + college stuff now that I'm down here in UT. I also get to wear some kit I never got to wear due to a team change right after joining, which is pretty nice.

For racing I wear college skin suits and I bought some knock-off Rapha gear from China. High quality, not over the top branding and just straight black. Actually, its some of my favorite kit to wear now a days despite being about half the cost. I have heard complaints from others that you can see right down by ass-crack through the mesh in the racesuit, but IDK. I can't see back there.

The bibs are excellent for the price though. I need to order another couple of those next pay check. They just take a long time to get here.
Old 09-17-17, 11:05 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Last year in collegiate race in Boulder, CO the two on the same team had different color kits and it was allowed. I got a real strange look for even asking about it.

The wearing a kit for a team you are not on/color rule is pretty regionally enforced. The kids in the SoCal area could never get away with that. They did get away with different sleeve length, but even color (black kit vs white kid) would invite a lecture. But these are the folks that didn't like number gluing either. At Redlands, they wouldn't let Junior use a state TT kit in the ITT as it was from another team and awarded for a junior TT. In hind site he should have as it was a $20 fine.
Old 09-17-17, 11:45 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
Growing up I was kinda of like that; my mom checked out when she got leukemia and we spent half our time in foster care and those kids were pretty messed up; the foster parents just wanted to rid of us asap. None of us knew how to act properly. Schools didn't want us, and to be fair, it was for good reason. Some of those foster kids are dead or in prison now, the others I don't care to ever see again. Most of them never had a chance in life, they're just too messed up.

Marine Boot Camp really helped me out, I think what helped the most was I was a fair bit smarter than most of those kids.
I think people/school districts are starting to really come to terms with this more and more. Our metropolitan district is putting an increasing amount of focus on social/emotional learning (at least in elementary schools) because so many students have no idea how to cope with anything. They never learn how to disagree with someone, or approach a problem without resorting to violence, or finding a solution that doesn't involve personal or material destruction. Some kids just freak out and break down at the slightest thing.

And their parents (if there are any in the picture) don't know, either, which is the primary reason so many act the way they do. It's a vicious cycle.

But there is no end to the craziness and despite all sorts of daily and weekly intervention, I would not at all be surprised at a good number of my students ending up in jail or worse by their early 20s. There's just too much baggage and desperation from home life. 10% of my school's students are homeless. On more than a few occasions I've had a kid coming in complaining about being hungry because they hadn't eaten since yesterday's school lunch. Have had multiple kids walk in to school off the bus wearing nothing but short sleeves when it's 30 degrees outside. Two of my kids were talking Friday. They both lived in a hotel but one had just been kicked out. Had no clue what was going to happen next. Not something an 8 year old should be worried about, but an increasingly common reality.

Desperation leads to bad things, and so many kids are desperate from birth.
Old 09-17-17, 01:36 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Winter nearly here? We've delved deep into the hand wringing and over thinking stuff early.

You own clothes? Wear them. It's pretty simple.
Old 09-17-17, 02:34 PM
rideaz

Bikes: Giant TCR, Giant Anthem, Felt CX

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=furiousferret;19866101
Marine Boot Camp really helped me out, I think what helped the most was I was a fair bit smarter than most of those kids.[/QUOTE]

My son is in marine corps boot camp right now! Were you at MCRD San Diego?
Old 09-17-17, 02:47 PM
miyata man

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 09-17-17, 03:12 PM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
Last year in collegiate race in Boulder, CO the two on the same team had different color kits and it was allowed. I got a real strange look for even asking about it.

The wearing a kit for a team you are not on/color rule is pretty regionally enforced. The kids in the SoCal area could never get away with that. They did get away with different sleeve length, but even color (black kit vs white kid) would invite a lecture. But these are the folks that didn't like number gluing either. At Redlands, they wouldn't let Junior use a state TT kit in the ITT as it was from another team and awarded for a junior TT. In hind site he should have as it was a $20 fine.
The sport is struggling to attract new riders and I can't imagine parents calling out riders wearing non-color coordinated kits or officials getting upset about sleeve length does much to keep people coming back. At this point, just be happy they're out there at all.
Old 09-17-17, 03:24 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Guys on the same team should be in the same kit (as in same color, etc)...not necessarily exact. Teams with multiple color combinations...meh. It gets confusing and isn't really fair.
Old 09-17-17, 04:10 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by hack
The sport is struggling to attract new riders and I can't imagine parents calling out riders wearing non-color coordinated kits or officials getting upset about sleeve length does much to keep people coming back. At this point, just be happy they're out there at all.
Fines are real, officials enforce rules. Different places, different rules are important. I've seen tape on bikes being an issue.
But for teams, I help with, I ask about things, it is not calling then out.
Old 09-17-17, 05:20 PM
globecanvas
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Have had multiple kids walk in to school off the bus wearing nothing but short sleeves when it's 30 degrees outside.

Originally Posted by gsteinb
Winter nearly here? You own clothes? Wear them. It's pretty simple.

Unfortunate juxtaposition there...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.