Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Introduce Yourselves!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-06, 11:44 PM
WheresWaldo
Ride it like you stole it

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale EVO Ultegra Di2, Pedal Force Aeroblade, Rue Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe
I was a definate superclyde 13 months ago at 581 pounds. 13 months ago, I had bariatric surgery and took up cycling as a low impact exercise. 300+ pounds lighter now and currently training for the Lotoja in 2007! I currently ride an old Royce Union mountainbike set up and converted for touring. Sorry 'bout the grainy pic, it's from a cameraphone when I was out on a 106 mile tour March 11. This is the bike I want!
Tom I also had bariatric surgery, this past January. I was at 346 lbs in December 2005. Dropped to 321 by the time of the surgery. Now three months later I am at 275. Doc expects me to be under 200 by this time next year. I will just be glad to see 200.
Old 04-23-06, 06:41 AM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by WheresWaldo
Tom I also had bariatric surgery, this past January. I was at 346 lbs in December 2005. Dropped to 321 by the time of the surgery. Now three months later I am at 275. Doc expects me to be under 200 by this time next year. I will just be glad to see 200.
Hmmmm, looks like us post bariatric bicyclists are popping out of the woodwork!
Have you been by this thread? I think as a fellow post surgical, you may well have something to contribute!

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 04-24-06, 03:56 PM
dsb137

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
xx

Last edited by dsb137; 09-21-09 at 06:16 AM.
Old 04-26-06, 01:16 AM
douchebagonwhlz
www.onecycles.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
never pass up a chance....

To post a pic of my bike.
I am 6'8", probably pushing 250 right now.
The pic is of my Zinn bike on an early spring ride in Dinosaur Natl Mon. The road still had a gate on it, so, no cars! But the asphalt was kind of spongey underneath my tires in spots from snowmelt....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0406.JPG (74.1 KB, 144 views)
IMG_0405.JPG (71.8 KB, 58 views)
Old 04-26-06, 05:10 AM
trekkie820

Bikes: 2004 Trek 4600 SS, 2016 Cannondale Cujo 2 SS

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow! Your bike relieves my fears of riding 24h paired spoke Bontrager wheels! I am also pushing 250, and just got a 2006 Lemond Reno with bonty SSR wheels, which are paired spoke, 20h front and 24 rear.
Old 04-26-06, 06:01 AM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Originally Posted by WheresWaldo
You will be flat amazed to see the results, Waldo! I fully expect to see 185 by the end of the year (after I have some excess skin removed). Good for you and remember to follow your dieticians and Drs instructions and watch you B complex vitamins! We have absorption problems with those, post surgery, so you may want to jack the B12 to 12000 units weekly, liquid, sublingually and B1 @ 100 mg/day. Any excess will dump through the kidneys(assuming of course you have normal kidney function) and before you do this TALK to your Dr! As always, this wasn't medical advice, I'm not a Dr.

Old 04-26-06, 03:37 PM
Bill98006
Improving every day!

Bikes: Trek Pilot 5.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LeMond not too small

Originally Posted by richjac
Great thread! I'm at 6'2", 240, and looking at various bikes - Lemond Big Sky SL (57cm), Giant OCR1 (XL) - both great bargains... and several others. My main concern is getting the fit right - i.e. is the Lemond too small or the Giant too large? , and the wheels/tire size. Both have fewer rather than more spokes, which the shops tell me are stronger - that defies logic - but as long as they stand behind it, should I be concerned enough to either swap the wheels or look at different bikes? And should I change the tires to the widest that will fit, or stick with the stock 28c or 25c size? All opinions welcome, and I'll be hanging around this thread for a while - I can't remember being below 200 lbs.
Richjac,
The LeMond is NOT too small for you. I got the Chambery model last year. I'm 6'1 and bought the 57. It's a little big for me because of the long top tube. I just replaces the 130mm stem with a 110mm and now it fits well. The Big Sky will support you because of the 28mm tires. The Chambery I bought had those Bontrager Race XL tires on them and I had about 6 or 8 pinch flats before I took them off and replaced them with Ultra Gatorskin 25's. Now, no more flats! Also, the Chambery came with a racing saddle. Not good! Too small for a Clyde! I replaced the race saddle with a Serfas Rx saddle and am much happier. 15 months ago I was at 276 lbs and now I"m at 230 just by riding and not over-eating. I eat the same food, just a bit less and ride whenever I can. I'm hoping to get under 200 again.
Bill
Old 04-26-06, 03:57 PM
richjac

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6, Santana Sovereign (2021)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the advice and encouragement. I ended up buying the OCR1, mainly because the shop is much closer to home and offers a 30 day return or exchange policy. The Giant's fit seems good after swapping for a 100mm stem. Now I just need to get out and ride, but I'm out of town (heck, out of the country) on business for a week - but the LBS said I could have 60 days if I want

So, is there a 50+ , Clydesdale, Road biking, sometimes commuting forum with advice on training and nutrition? I'll keep hanging around all of them - great information and support!
Old 04-26-06, 07:38 PM
latteubetcha

Bikes: 1998 Specialized Stumpjumper, Serotta Colorado III

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 6'3" 255, down from 275 would like to be around 220. Just started road biking in January 2006, mountain bike occasionally. Just trying to lose weight and get in shape. I just bought a 2002 Serotta Colorado III in December off ebay, and really like it. I also have a 1998 Specialized Stumpjumper. An old friend from high school and myself are going to "Ride the Rockies" this June.
Old 04-27-06, 05:57 PM
douchebagonwhlz
www.onecycles.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Tom Stormcrowe]I was a definate superclyde 13 months ago at 581 pounds. 13 months ago, I had bariatric surgery and took up cycling as a low impact exercise. QUOTE]
holy poo!
bariatric is the stomach reduction surgery?
Old 04-27-06, 06:40 PM
Tom Stormcrowe

[QUOTE=******bagonwhlz]
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe
I was a definate superclyde 13 months ago at 581 pounds. 13 months ago, I had bariatric surgery and took up cycling as a low impact exercise. QUOTE]
holy poo!
bariatric is the stomach reduction surgery?
Yuppers! Here's a link to what I had done, I had the Roux-N-Y procedure, done laporoscopically, adn the fact of the matter is I would probably be dead now without it!

Old 04-30-06, 03:06 PM
TomM

Bikes: Surly SteamRoller

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by dsb137
Hopefully I can leave some significant weight on the hills around here...
I was up in Dahlonega last week and saw those hills. Keep riding them and you will be mistaken for an anorexic.
Old 04-30-06, 03:40 PM
jeb0921

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK. After reading some of your post, I feel like I belong.

5'11" 222lbs. I have just begun to commuteand pick up my riding. I am also 49 going on 50. Here are the pics of my bike.

A little vintage stuff for ya. I got it Last summer still in the box.

Jim
Attached Images
HPIM0099.jpg (91.1 KB, 126 views)
Old 05-01-06, 10:54 AM
Starven_Marven

Bikes: Trek TCT5000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am 6'1" and come in at 225.

I am going to the gym and riding as much as I can. I am currently working for my first century, and should hopefully achieve this by the end of the summer.

I bought my first road bike 2 months ago (Trek TCT5000).
Old 05-01-06, 12:14 PM
tecpatl4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
6'1". ranges from 250 to 270 depending on how the Crohn's disease is behaving itself. For the last nine years rode a Mongoose hardtail, learned very quickly I'm no good at off road so I put slick tires on it and used it for urban riding (Lived near downtown). A few years ago I moved and now live in the suburbs with lots of long straight country roads. Last week on a ride the frame broke near the rear dropout. I bought a Kona Dew, we'll see how it holds up.

Before the Mongoose I had a Peugot hybrid... broke the frame on that one too, but since it was a year old it was all under warranty
Old 05-01-06, 08:01 PM
Cactusron

Bikes: Surly Pacer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey all, am a fellow clyde (currently 45yrs 6'1" 250). Started at 270 and started riding the stationary back in January and about a month ago, bought the first bike I've owned/ridden since I was in my 20's. Picked up an '05 Fuji Team for $1095. Great bike at a great price with mostly Ultegra drive train (Truvativ Crank and triple chain ring). Upgrades needed so far:
Put Continental Gator Skins 700X25 tires on- improved ride and durability and installed a Fizik Arione saddle.
Oh yeah, a set of Look clipless pedals.

So far, that's it and it works I've needed. Bike rides well and other than dumping it in a corner as I was going way too fast for my skill level, the bike has worked out great for me. Performance has them in their stores for $1477, found it at a Bikes Direct brick and mortar store for $1095, and got Performance to match the price. MSRP was just over $2,000 last year, so this could be a great bike for some one else to get back into the "saddle" again. I can post pics if anyone is interested. You can still check out the specs on Fuji's web site under '05 model year. https://fujibikes.com/2005/bikes.asp?id=8. The only difference in the specs is that they are not using Velomax Vista wheels, but are using Shimano 550's. So far, working well for me.
Old 05-02-06, 04:38 AM
nm+
Ultra-clydesdale

Bikes: Titus Racer-X AL/Trek 520(RIP)/Trek 930

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
6'4" and over 250.
I ride my trek 520 and do qite a bit of touring (so the bike gets me and 80lbs of crap) with stock wheels
Also ride a Titus racer-X AL with 36 holes XT/Mavic X517
I used to ride a fisher mt tam, but cracked that twice, got it replaced twice and sold it so someone a bit lighter
My Trek 930 used to pull dual duty with 36 hole Xt/X517 for mountain biking and 36 hole LX/Sun Rhyno Lite rear and Xt/X517 front on slicks for touring/road. Held up very well after i got teh right wheels. Snapped an STX crank once though, that hurt!
Gonna be riding across the country this summer and hope to knock off a few punds in the process, but thats not the full goal.
Old 05-02-06, 05:03 AM
Tom Stormcrowe

Originally Posted by Cactusron
Hey all, am a fellow clyde (currently 45yrs 6'1" 250). Started at 270 and started riding the stationary back in January and about a month ago, bought the first bike I've owned/ridden since I was in my 20's. Picked up an '05 Fuji Team for $1095. Great bike at a great price with mostly Ultegra drive train (Truvativ Crank and triple chain ring). Upgrades needed so far:
Put Continental Gator Skins 700X25 tires on- improved ride and durability and installed a Fizik Arione saddle.
Oh yeah, a set of Look clipless pedals.

So far, that's it and it works I've needed. Bike rides well and other than dumping it in a corner as I was going way too fast for my skill level, the bike has worked out great for me. Performance has them in their stores for $1477, found it at a Bikes Direct brick and mortar store for $1095, and got Performance to match the price. MSRP was just over $2,000 last year, so this could be a great bike for some one else to get back into the "saddle" again. I can post pics if anyone is interested. You can still check out the specs on Fuji's web site under '05 model year. https://fujibikes.com/2005/bikes.asp?id=8. The only difference in the specs is that they are not using Velomax Vista wheels, but are using Shimano 550's. So far, working well for me.
Looks like a nice ride, except for one little thing! No brazeons for tour racks! Other than that.........sweet!

Old 05-02-06, 08:52 AM
Tom Stormcrowe

Check out this Multimedia

It's my last year in retrospect. Click Here to go to the video link This is a good view of the life changes I've made!

Old 05-03-06, 02:03 PM
mcolesjr

Bikes: 1999 Klien Quantum; 1989 Centurion LeMans

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 44 y.o., 6'2", 250+.
I ride a 1999 Klein Quantum. Shamino 105 group. Upgrades: DuraAce rear derailleur, SRAM Chain, Neuvation M28 Aero rims (2006).
I use to hammer when I was younger, but chillin out in my old age. The Klein actually responds better when you hammer it a bit. It's sweet with my new wheels. Love the color. Klein calls it Purple Haze. (scuse me, while i kiss the sky!!!)
Attached Images
IMG_02261b.jpg (73.9 KB, 97 views)

Last edited by mcolesjr; 05-03-06 at 03:00 PM.
Old 05-03-06, 07:08 PM
aham23
grilled cheesus

Bikes: 2010 CAAD9 Custom, 06 Giant TCR C2 & 05 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Looks like I am out of the club. Started Jan 2006 at 236 lbs and as of this week I am at 198.4. Hopefully, my Clyde Days are behind me. Later.
Old 05-04-06, 03:02 AM
Tom Stormcrowe

Congratulations! Good on ya!

Old 05-04-06, 02:08 PM
oj411

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I'm 6'3'' and at about 225lbs and I'm looking for a lite road bike that can last. Reading through out the forum on the wieght weenie models I know most of those models would not work with people in the clydesdale category so basically I'm looking for a weight weenie version for clydesdale...hahaha Im looking for the lightest setup that can still stop on a dime with my weight. I'm looking to spend around
$3k on one.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-04-06, 02:31 PM
Primetime75

Bikes: Felt F65 / Raliegh M80

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know some 250 Clydes that ride Orbeas full Carbon rides.
Old 05-04-06, 02:57 PM
Tom Stormcrowe

Originally Posted by oj411
So I'm 6'3'' and at about 225lbs and I'm looking for a lite road bike that can last. Reading through out the forum on the wieght weenie models I know most of those models would not work with people in the clydesdale category so basically I'm looking for a weight weenie version for clydesdale...hahaha Im looking for the lightest setup that can still stop on a dime with my weight. I'm looking to spend around
$3k on one.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Specialized Tarmac would be my suggestion, CF Frame asnd <20 lbs rolling!~ Multiaxis CF Frame, stiff and sporty! Very nice bike! Look here
About $2800.00, and a fine bike!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.