Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2013!! How Was your Commute Today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2013!! How Was your Commute Today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-13, 09:51 PM
Mr. Hairy Legs
Super-spreader

Bikes: shiny red tricycle

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 97 Posts
Oh please no, there needs to be a junk drawer for all this stuff. Perhaps Trollheim.

My commutes today? Excellent! I nearly wiped out going down an icy hill but just managed to hold on. I'm now 18 months crash free.
Old 12-12-13, 05:58 AM
dcb23

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cold! 28F/-2 C with a biting headwind at times.

Also...a military honor guard was carrying a coffin into the U.S. Capitol building in the cold dark morning, not sure who it was.
Old 12-12-13, 07:28 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Cold morning but dry, which is fine by me. It actually was a bit warmer than forecasted, low 30s rather the upper 20s that were predicted. Not that it makes that much difference. Still adjusting to the slower pace of winter rides. I keep feeling like something is wrong because my speeds are slower than usual but I know it's just the cold and continual wind this time of year.
Old 12-12-13, 08:21 AM
dramiscram
ouate de phoque

Bikes: Bianchi, Nakamura,Opus

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tarwheel
I keep feeling like something is wrong because my speeds are slower than usual but I know it's just the cold and continual wind this time of year.
Same here, my all time best this last summer was 58 min., so far with the winter bike my best is 1h23 (last night)

This morning it was quite cold at -17° celcius (1.5°f) and -22° with the windchill factor. I Wonder if the windchill factor is real when you don't expose much to Wind? Anyway, I wore 4 layers on my upper body this morning and my sweat was frozen between the two upper layers, it surprised me as I was still very comfortable when I got to work.
Tonight's ride should be interesting with the same temperature but a good 25-35 kmh headwind and some snow (if the forecast is correct)
Old 12-12-13, 08:56 AM
spivonious

Bikes: 2012 Trek Allant, 2016 Bianchi Volpe Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cold ride in this morning. Thermometer read 18F when I left home with a slight headwind. I had to leave about 30 minutes earlier than normal for a department-wide meeting this morning.

It had been a week since I rode last, so my legs and lungs weren't used to the cold weather. Plus I feel like I'm getting sick, so I had to take a short break at the top of the biggest hill on my route.

I managed to stay warm, although my toes were getting a bit chilled by the time I arrived at work. My water bottle had some ice starting to form.

Last edited by spivonious; 12-12-13 at 09:00 AM.
Old 12-12-13, 09:37 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
I keep feeling like something is wrong because my speeds are slower than usual but I know it's just the cold and continual wind this time of year.
+2 and I'm certain I'm slower than last winter, though my memory is selective. No ride this morning, have to pick up my daughter this afternoon. Good thing, it was 3F when I left home with -10 wind chill
Old 12-12-13, 01:59 PM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Your bike was shaking cause it was Cold.

Cool Story Old Man.

Your body may be 73, but your mind is 16 ..Keep the Fun going.
Cool, This morning, no snow, but had to watch for the ice... That ride in the dark with ice and traffic, one better have bright llights, I tell you that...
Old 12-12-13, 02:26 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Mine was fun, and my winter clothing is doing the job down to about 0 F.

People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 12-12-13, 03:30 PM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
Cold morning but dry, which is fine by me. It actually was a bit warmer than forecasted, low 30s rather the upper 20s that were predicted. Not that it makes that much difference. Still adjusting to the slower pace of winter rides. I keep feeling like something is wrong because my speeds are slower than usual but I know it's just the cold and continual wind this time of year.
Same here... i was prepping to ride in 22 -27F and it ended up being 30F still my coldest commute ever. I felt good though only my feet got cold. I dont think that riding home is going to be as warm as they predicted but I will take it if it is dry. It took me 44 minutes which is only 4 minutes off of normal time. I figure that is not bad considering the cold and how bundled up I was.

Pretty cool but I was (well everyone who competed in the summer challenge) featured in an article about bike commuting through work's internal website today. I thought that was pretty exciting. Although the real success story is another coworker who has lost 45lbs this YEAR bike commuting.

Last edited by RidingMatthew; 12-12-13 at 03:34 PM. Reason: first time in a while
Old 12-13-13, 06:11 AM
dcb23

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
30F/-1C, and they were out there again practicing a funeral procession at the U.S. Capitol...must just be prep for when it is needed.

Pleasant ride in, not nearly the headwind like yetserday.
Old 12-13-13, 07:11 AM
thechemist
In the Pain Cave

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
18F. warm on the bike but cold at hands/feet when I undressed. All in all not terrible considering the temp and duration.
Old 12-13-13, 07:39 AM
droy45
tougher than a boiled owl

Bikes: Fetish Cycles Fixation / Fuji S12S / Gary Fisher MTB / Raleigh Grand Prix / Ross Professional / Kent comfort cruiser

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A good ride in this morning, 9F and slight wind. It felt slow this morning for some reason. I left a little later and the traffic was much worse so maybe that's it. Snow storm coming so could be off the bike for at least the weekend anyway.
Old 12-13-13, 07:39 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Another cold morning with temps in the mid-20s. I'm starting to get used to the cold as well as what clothes to wear. It always takes a while adjusting when the weather makes a big change. The biggest effect it's had on my commute is the run times declining on my headlight, and I decided to order a more powerful light with a longer-lasting battery.
Old 12-13-13, 07:42 AM
bmontgomery87

Bikes: 2013 leader 721. 2015 leader 725. 2012 fuji feather

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mid to upper 20's.
Friday's are casual day and I tried wearing jeans, that turned out to be a little too snug for riding comfortably. Lesson learned.
Not looking forward to my ride home.
Old 12-13-13, 07:45 AM
spivonious

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Felt colder in the garage, but was definitely warmer today. Thermometer read 22F when I left. I'm definitely getting a cold, but I'm hoping the rides in cold air help to keep my nose clear.

Not bike-related, but I'm playing in a big band concert tomorrow that I hope isn't cancelled from the snow. I already missed a concert last weekend. I can usually bring in some decent cash this month from gigs.
Old 12-13-13, 08:05 AM
davy

Bikes: Trek 7.2 fx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
18ºF! It felt like a sauna out there compared to the 0ºF/-18ºC it was the past few days.
Old 12-13-13, 08:27 PM
Ky_Rider

Bikes: Trek Verve Ebike and Surly Wednesday

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wimped out this morning. Wife dropped me off at work. As I was leaving work a coworker asked me if I was riding my bike home. I said yes and told her it was about 18 miles. She thought I was joking! Since I left work early I took the longer scenic route home. Almost no traffic and temps about 40F. Light wind and overcast skies. This is the most enjoyable ride I've had in a few weeks. I just seem to enjoy riding home more than to work. I'm always worried about being late in the mornings.
Old 12-13-13, 09:54 PM
walrus1

Bikes: Schwinn World Sport Jamis Ventura

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So like everyone else I deal with blocked bike lanes on daily basis at this point I tend not to pay any attention at all. However this guy might just take the cake in terms of stupidity. Not only has blocked the bike lane by double parking in front of an empty parking spot. He has somehow managed to park over the buffer, car lane, empty parking spot and bike lane all at the same time. Well done!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20131213_131044.jpg (67.3 KB, 8 views)
Old 12-13-13, 10:28 PM
buzzman
----

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
Great ride in this morning. Temp was around 16F but it felt fine. While stopped at a light a woman looked over at me for a moment like she wanted to ask directions or something. Finally she brought the window down and said, "You have got to be absolutely freezing." I said, "This is going to sound weird but I'm a bit overdressed for today and actually sweating. So it's not so bad but thanks for asking."

The ride home along the bike path at night with the wind whipping across the Charles River out of the Norhtwest was a little more expedition-like but nothing beats the solitude of that path on a cold winter night. I might sound crazy but I LOVE winter commuting!
Old 12-14-13, 08:38 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by walrus1
Not only has blocked the bike lane by double parking in front of an empty parking spot. He has somehow managed to park over the buffer, car lane, empty parking spot and bike lane all at the same time. Well done!
You know it's amazing how easy it is to dent a car - a good kick on the way by does the trick!

29F and snow, about 4" last night expecting another 2" today. It's cold enough to stick but warm enough to be really wet, i.e. yucky to ride in. Go figure, snow in December
Old 12-16-13, 06:44 AM
dcb23

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
10 years at my job as of today...looking at my notebook (I mean paper notebook!) from that very day. Time...

Just above freezing, strong cross wind, Monday!
Old 12-16-13, 08:13 AM
tarwheel 

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Looks like a boring week weatherwise -- just the way I like it! Forecast calls for sunny skies with highs in the 50s and lows about 30F every day. Of course, the 5-day forecasts are next to worthless around here. It seems like every Monday the forecast calls for sunny weather every day and some sort of storm system pops up out of nowhere later in the week.
Old 12-16-13, 08:39 AM
spivonious

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thermometer read 21F when I left, but it felt much colder. My water bottle was half ice when I got to work.

I'm getting to interact with cars a bit more than normal, since the snow plows tend not to plow the shoulders. No problems though; I think the drivers are used to seeing me by now.

I just hope I don't get any more flats. I had two last week - one from running over a staple, and another from running over something sharp. I could barely make it out after feeling it on the inside of the tire with my finger. It was like a very short and narrow pin. If I don't get new tires for Christmas, I'm going out and getting some. The tread on them is fine, but the flat protection has definitely failed. They're Bontrager H2 hard-case lite tires and came with the bike.
Old 12-16-13, 09:34 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
An emergency vehicle came charging down towards me on the Greenway MUP this morning. He stopped and opened his door as I passed by - unfortunately I hadn't seen whatever he was looking for and couldn't help.
Old 12-16-13, 04:21 PM
treadtread

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Mine was fun, and my winter clothing is doing the job down to about 0 F.

Are you missing gears yet?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.