Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Has folding bikes replaced normal bikes for anyone?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Has folding bikes replaced normal bikes for anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-17, 08:21 AM
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Hisamatsu
Should I
  1. Supplement my existing bike by buying a Brompton for travel. I like it's ability to fold small and fast for city commute, but it won't be as comfortable or versatile for touring.
  2. Sell my bike and replace it entirely with a Pocket Rocket. Give up a bit on folding speed, ease and size. This is under the assumption the pocket rocket could come close to replacing my normal sized bike.
To state the obvious, some of this depends on finances and space. But abstracting away from these issues ...

If you're a serious racer and regularly use gears well above 100", you'll want to keep your road bike. Otherwise, the folding bike choice might be better for you. Although I think that 406 wheels -- NWT or the Pocket Crusoe -- has better tire choices than 451 -- Pocket Rocket/Pro. Put on some decent components, go with the packable seat mast rather than the folding version, the appropriate swan stem, and maybe an aluminum or titanium seat mast, I think your bike will be at home with the club rides provided you like the ride and feel of the bike. The geometry will be somewhat different. It will take a test ride or two to figure out whether it's the best move for you.

If you really want something as small or convenient as a Brompton or a Strida or a few other models, you won't be happy with a PR Pro. If you really want something that rides well for touring and "spirited" rides like a PR Pro, you won't be happy with a Brompton/Strida. I think that they're generally poor substitutes for each other.

If you're a super serious roadie, I'd keep the road bike for serious club rides and races and get a NWT or some other 20" folder as the commuter, tourer, and "all-rounder" bike. If you're still looking for something small to take everywhere then I'd start considering a 16" wheel folder. If you really enjoy the all-rounder bike, then it would make sense to sell the road bike and go all in with a high end folder.