Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Helmets cramp my style

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Helmets cramp my style

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-09, 11:41 PM
varminter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by closetbiker
you're right. Smoking kills far more than impacts to heads
Now you're just flat out lying with baseless nonsense.
The Mace alone has probably killed more people than the entire history of tobbacco

Last edited by varminter; 05-10-09 at 11:54 PM.
Old 05-11-09, 12:08 AM
varminter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trombone
Especially when coupled with a sedentary lifestyle, it also raises the likelihood of a massive stroke, which 'csn cause you to drool and studder for the rest of your life' [sic]
Having a stroke that MAY have been caused by smoking when you're 60-70 years is a far cry from a 14 -15 year old kid smashing his head on the pavement which in turn 'cause you to drool and studder for the rest of your life' definately without a doubt caused from cycling without a helmet
Old 05-11-09, 12:24 AM
varminter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by John C. Ratliff
Trombone,

You and the others are right here--we've found a point to agree on. If I could find a way to compromise, and say that all smoking was completely eliminated in exchange for the right or privilege to ride a bicycle without a helmet, I'd do it in a nanosecond. My Mom died in 2001 of lung cancer and emphysema caused by her smoking. That is why, on this Mother's Day, I can only look back and remember her. She was 76, and my grandmother on her side lived well into her 90s. She failed to see several grandchildren married, and next week to see one receive his PhD.

My Mom, Maurine C. Ratliff on her bicycle on Christmas day, 1999. This was my Christmas present to her. Happy Mother's Day, Mom!

John
That's unfortunate. My grandmother was ravaged by Alzheimers. She had multiple strokes her left side was completey paralyzed and by the time she was 77 she couln't say one coherent word, at 78 years old she died a very undignified death. She didn't smoke nor did she drink alcohol,ever.
My mother died at 36 years old from some sort of liver disease yet she didn't drink alcohol, nor did she smoke.

Last edited by varminter; 05-11-09 at 12:30 AM.
Old 05-11-09, 04:31 AM
East Hill
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Hey everyone, this thread is getting a bit too long to load well. If you want to start a new thread, feel free to do so.

East Hill