Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Raleigh Technium 440

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Raleigh Technium 440

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-18, 03:55 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
OP I like that steel blue color of the Frame
Old 09-21-18, 07:03 PM
ScottD961
Zeke

Bikes: 1972 Raleigh Gran Prix,1984 DeBernardi Olympic, 1988 Schwinn Caliente

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ryansu
OP I like that steel blue color of the Frame
Thank you. yes I do too. It is a VERY close match to the high temperature Engine paint Pontiac motor division used on their Engines from 1967 to @ 1971. Pontiac called it Silver Blue Metallic. I would like to try to match it but the painter hasn't seen it yet. It may end up Irradesant Pearl White.
Old 09-21-18, 07:08 PM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Slightly OT, but I saw for sale locally a Raleigh Competition, from the Technium era for sale recently on Fresno CL. I didn't know Competitions were made during that era, so this bike must be relatively rare. I still like the older Carlton ones better, but I suppose these are a piece of history. And in my size too!

Owner is asking $450, and while it's very nice, it's just not my cup of tea, I predict it will languish, and maybe sell at around $300, which is far more realistic in this area of the country, IMO.
Old 09-21-18, 08:42 PM
ScottD961
Zeke

Bikes: 1972 Raleigh Gran Prix,1984 DeBernardi Olympic, 1988 Schwinn Caliente

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
That is a gorgeous bike !To bad I'm on the right coast otherwise I think I would grab it. Hope you can get it at a good price
Old 08-13-19, 08:44 AM
jimjim58

Bikes: '18 Trek Domane SL6

Liked 30 Times in 8 Posts
A lot of good information in this thread.

Here's a photo of my Technium 440 that I purchased in 1986.

Likes For jimjim58:
Old 08-15-21, 03:54 PM
Ellivy

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good stuff. I made an account just to reply.

I purchased a 440 from my great-uncle just a few weeks ago for very cheap. I'm planning a load of upgrades for it. Most notably I just bought some cheap Sora STI shifters and derailleurs.
That Sora upgrade also involves swapping the stock 6 speed freewheel for a 7 speed. I'm having a heck of a time trying to figure out what FWs will fit between my chainstays and which ones won't. So far, I haven't seen any satisfactory info.

I'm also planning to repaint and refinish the frame at some point. I'm thinking black with a grey fork.
Likes For Ellivy:
Old 08-16-21, 09:43 AM
Jacky Choon

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
magnifique
Old 08-16-21, 03:57 PM
rgvg
Car free since 2018

Bikes: Mostly japanese ones

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by Ellivy
Good stuff. I made an account just to reply.

I purchased a 440 from my great-uncle just a few weeks ago for very cheap. I'm planning a load of upgrades for it. Most notably I just bought some cheap Sora STI shifters and derailleurs.
That Sora upgrade also involves swapping the stock 6 speed freewheel for a 7 speed. I'm having a heck of a time trying to figure out what FWs will fit between my chainstays and which ones won't. So far, I haven't seen any satisfactory info.

I'm also planning to repaint and refinish the frame at some point. I'm thinking black with a grey fork.
I have a 440 frame it measures out at 126mm at the back. Sheldon brown says this is spacing for 6 or 7 speed freewheels. I would think any 7 would work, though I haven't tried it myself.
Old 12-08-21, 11:43 PM
CallmeChester

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I currently have an '86 440 listed on craigslist in my area. I'm thinking about getting it and turning it into my daily commuter. It's in pristine condition with perfect paint and all original parts except for the saddle. Supposedly it's been in storage for ~2 decades. Any idea what price I should try to get it for. Even thought it's in really good shape I think the current listing of $250 seems steep...

I'd post a link and/or pictures but apparently I can't do that yet (somewhat long-time lurker, newbie account). If anyone wants to see it to give an opinion search Raleigh Technium in Milwaukee, WI craigslist to take a gander. I'm hoping to get it for a decent price because, even though after looking at the old catalogs it's not my favorite of the early colors, it was love at first pic and I can't even tell you why!

Thanks in advance for advice. I originally started looking to buy a semi-competitive road bike that would pull double duty as my commuter when not on group rides but then multiple people on here suggested it may just be better to get a dedicated, cheaper, commuter bike and save up for a nicer bike to use otherwise. That lead me to finding this listing in my area and diving into the forums trying to figure out what was up with the "thermal bonding" dissimilar metals and all the other details I could find.
Likes For CallmeChester:
Old 12-12-21, 09:06 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
It's a $100 frame. And, if the original Araya wheels are on it ........ then, maybe another $100 for them. It's a great bike. But, it's old. The cables are probably shot to hell. And the tires are wiped out. If you don't have any mechanical skills then, forget about it. I can't believe all the morons on this web site that have some kind of magical thinking that old bikes are valuable. You actually have to break it down to the bare frame and, re-build it back to "like new" condition for it to have value. It's hard work. It's not easy. Here's a nice one that I ride frequently................................

Likes For ramzilla:
Old 04-28-23, 02:10 PM
Technium440

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have that exact same bike (from the original post), the Technium 440. I bought mine new in 1987 or '88 from a local bike store. I was in either 8th or 9th grade My cousin had either the 460 or the 480. they got lighter and better components the higher the model number.

Fortunately, my parents kept it in their barn and I retrieved it a few years back for casual rides. Now, after bouncing around on mountain bikes and single speeds, this is my daily commuter. I love this bike. It brings me much joy. $50 is a steal if that one is for sale.
Likes For Technium440: