Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I Rode With The Big Boys

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I Rode With The Big Boys

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-18, 09:41 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
You’re welcome, Seaman Salmon.
Old 09-30-18, 10:53 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by Abu Mahendra
"Men go crazy in congregation. They only get better one by one."
Exactly.
Old 10-02-18, 10:40 AM
Spinay70

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Sunday morning I set out for a leisurely ride on the Lynskey Backroad flat bar touring bike. Not too long after I hopped up on the MUP atop the MS River Levee, a group of 10 or so riders came up behind me. I was spinning at about 17 MPH and they closed the gap quickly. As the last rider passed, we exchanged pleasantries. I asked if I could latch on. He made a comment something like this, "your engine may be up to it, but I am not sure your machine is, but go ahead."

It felt surprisingly good to ride a 21-22 MPH pace line for the first time in years. I laid off the back a little further than normal to try to give them a level of comfort since the didn't know me. About 6 miles after I joined them, the rider that made the comment and 3 others fell off the group. I stayed with the main group for another 3-4 miles before I decided that if I wanted to make it back home I better conserve some energy.

One of the guys was riding a sweet Renovo wooden bike. About 5 miles from where I fell off, the group stopped to take a break. I pulled up, stopped and thanked them for pulling me for a while. One rider smiled and said "no problem." The other riders paid me no attention. When I complemented the guy's wooden bike, he briefly glanced at me and didn't say a word. Us cyclists seem to be a socially awkward group as a whole.

My quads are feeling my effort today. I need to get back into more sporting rides. Maybe I will after my surgery. I like challenging my fitness.
Maybe they were all wearing Rapha gear?
Old 10-02-18, 12:58 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Spinay70
Maybe they were all wearing Rapha gear?

The Rapha gear is the one you spin to get nowhere but look good doing it, right?