Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Official Trek DS owners thread

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Official Trek DS owners thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-17, 06:35 AM
Be79n

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jase33
As for the recall you should first verify that you have an affected model; 3700D or 3900D with date codes CK110301 thru CK110731. If you have one try contacting a Trek dealer and ask them if they can take care of it. If they push back you can try reaching out to Suntour directly.

If you decide to replace the fork yourself you can use a carbon rigid fork. Make sure the steerer tube is the correct size for your frame and try to keep the axle to crown and rake measurements close to stock unless you know what you're doing. A fork described as 700c or 29er will work as they both fit the same size diameter wheel. The difference is that a 700c fork usually does not have the tire clearance a 29er would because generally you would expect a wider or taller profile tire on a 29er.
Fantastic thank you, so any 700 fork will fit then?. (Same tube etc)
Old 04-27-17, 05:07 PM
DonMcCleary

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I havenarrowed my bike selection to Trek DS 4 or Specialized Crosstrail Elite basedon component levels that I was interested in. They were out of stock so I won’tbe able to ride them until next week. Looking for any advice as far as choosingone over the other. Is Shimano M445 disc brakes any better than the Tektro FlowSet Control? Is the Specialized Fitness Brain suspension better than the Trek SRSuntour NRX ATB rated? Thanks for your assistance.
Old 05-07-17, 11:06 AM
crodge

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tyres - Recomendations

Just purchased the Trek DS-4... loving it! I'd like to change the tyres to something more suitable for road use. Maybe a slick or ballon tyre with some kind of puncture protection.

Any recommendations? What is the widest tyre i can get on this bike?

Looking forward to your replies...

Cheers
Old 05-07-17, 06:54 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by crodge
Any recommendations? What is the widest tyre i can get on this bike?
If the current DS frame is the same as 2015's, you should be able to get a 45-622 tire in there. My dad has shoe-horned some WTB Nano 29x2.1s on his, but they're wider than I'd be comfortable with. I think they're marked 52 or 53mm, so a 45 should fit relatively easily. Bontrager has an H5 in 45-622 that they put on the current Verve lineup. Your Trek dealer might be willing to swap for you at little cost.

H5 Hardcase Ultimate on Trekbikes.com

The website says they're out of stock on the 700x45 size (45-622), but your dealer likely can get a hold of some.

I personally like the Continental SpeedRIDE, and have that on my Trek Verve. It's marked 42-622 (for 42mm wide), but it inflates up to only about 38 or 39mm on my AT-750 wheels (you may have the same wheels on your DS). Good for me, as the Verve has a fender mount tab down between the chain stays that would conflict with a larger tire. I don't think you have to worry about that with the DS.
Old 05-07-17, 08:01 PM
therealjoeblow

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 1 | 2002 Giant Sedona LX | 1980s Norco Monterey SL

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not sure what your DS4 has on it from the factory, but if you are planning any kind of mixed use, then a big +1 on the Conti SpeedRide's, I'm riding them on a Giant Roam which is pretty much the same as a DS, on mixed terrain consisting of half road and half trail and they're just excellent all-rounders. Very fast and silent on pavement, and grip like crazy on gravel and dirt. I just got them this winter and have around 400km's on them now and love them. I wish I would have discovered these beauties years ago to be honest!

Cheers
TRJB
Old 05-07-17, 09:11 PM
jase33

Bikes: 2017 Trek DS 4, 2014 Niner RLT 9 [storage], K2 Shadow 9 [indoor trainer]

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a set of Maxxis Rambler's on my DS4 and love them. I ride some hard pack trails that can shift to loose rock or sand and they dig in very well. On paved rides they are super quiet and fast.
Old 05-08-17, 08:54 AM
crodge

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. I have been looking at the Schwalbe Marathon Supreme HS 28x2.0

Do you think this tire would fit in the DS-4 ? Don't want to order them only to find that they don't

Cheers
Old 05-08-17, 09:07 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by crodge
Thanks for the suggestions. I have been looking at the Schwalbe Marathon Supreme HS 28x2.0

Do you think this tire would fit in the DS-4 ? Don't want to order them only to find that they don't

Cheers
They would be tight. If they're the 50-622 tires here:

https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_t...rathon_supreme

...then they'll probably be pretty tight. My dad's 2015 DS 4 has the tightest clearance at the chain stays, and he runs a 2.1, but he keeps it aired down to about 50 psi so that it doesn't rub. It's REALLY close. Too close for me...I'd prefer something closer to a 45mm tire for slightly more clearance.

It looks like you're going for full-on slick. There's also the Michelin Protek Cross in 700x40, but I understand it's actually a bit larger than its nominal size, more like 43 or 45mm wide.
Old 05-08-17, 12:56 PM
Be79n

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At the moment I have a set of Schwalbe CX Comp 700x30c Cylocross tyres and it flys on the road, managed 41.9mph on a hill last week. (My old LT3s only ever managed 38mph).
Old 05-18-17, 01:08 PM
aj_4_u

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have anyone tried bontrager H2 hybrid tire, size 700 X 28 on their trek DS? Will they fit?
Old 05-18-17, 08:18 PM
intransit1217

Bikes: 2 Masi giramondo

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by aj_4_u
Have anyone tried bontrager H2 hybrid tire, size 700 X 28 on their trek DS? Will they fit?
Yes and yes. I tried an older model h-2 and got exactly what I expected. A good fast rolling tire. I was very happy with them overall, but you will lose some cush in the ride. I also tried a pair of vittoria randonneurs at 37 m. Better riding, but slower.

OTOH, My Masi Giramondo came with clement mso's which seem to be the best of both worlds. The center rib rolls extremely well while keeping the cushy width. Great for crushed limestone. Their caveat is when the substrate gets really loose, not so good.

On a set of kenda 40 m tires on the masi right now. Cushy and fast. But not for off road.

hth!
Old 05-25-17, 06:23 PM
Be79n

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My 700x30s are a tight fit and a little hard to get on and off to be honest but I can't see 28mm being much harder. You really notice them on the hills, you just seem to roll for ever. Of course there much more bumpy and not as comfy.
Old 06-02-17, 08:58 AM
Brooke1687

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Hi Ds owners. Pending a long test ride I hope to be the owner of a Neko in the next few days. I'd like to add a rear rack for hauling my yoga mat, groceries, a 6 pack etc. The amazon reviews I've seen indicate that modification need to me made for Trek bikes, and that they require extenders. They range for $20-$35 on Amazon but that would go up if I have buy extenders, better hardware etc..The rack at Trek is $45 and they'll install it before I pick it up. Seems like that might be the best options but I wanted to get other opinions and options.
Old 06-03-17, 01:20 PM
jase33

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
@Brooke1687 My finace has the Bontrager Interchange Deluxe Bag and rack on her Neko 2. She had a Topeak setup on her old bike and says that she likes them both the same as far as functionality and ease of use but she like the look of the Bontrager more. I am not and have never been a user of rear bags or panniers but from what I can tell much of it comes down to how you use it & how it looks to you. There are so many brands and options to choose from that I suggest you just get online and start looking. Find bike shops that carry them and check them out in person. Read product reviews and here on Bike Forums as well. Good luck with the search and the new bike. I hope you enjoy it as much as my fiance does.

P.S. We paid $29 for the Bontrager Back Rack disc at our Trek dealer. Not sure if it was on sale though.

This is how it looks on her bike.

Last edited by jase33; 06-03-17 at 01:33 PM.
Old 06-05-17, 12:01 PM
fourwinds

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brooke1687
Hi Ds owners. Pending a long test ride I hope to be the owner of a Neko in the next few days. I'd like to add a rear rack for hauling my yoga mat, groceries, a 6 pack etc. The amazon reviews I've seen indicate that modification need to me made for Trek bikes, and that they require extenders. They range for $20-$35 on Amazon but that would go up if I have buy extenders, better hardware etc..The rack at Trek is $45 and they'll install it before I pick it up. Seems like that might be the best options but I wanted to get other opinions and options.
I bought a Neko 3 this spring and I'm fairly happy with it, but I may raise the handlebar angle or go to swept back style. I bought a Bontracker back rack for $32.59 installed. It works fine without extenders and will take panniers if I ever want them. I'm really glad I also got the Bontrager trunk bag for $84 (during a Bike Gallery sale) which with a button push releases easily. It has a spot to mount my rear light. It has plenty of room to store my keys, phone, pump, patch kit, spare tube, tools, U lock, a small medical kit, a jacket, sunblock and some food. I took it on a hill loop and went to the store and by unzipping the expansion I added a large bag of chips, several bunches each of cilantro and mint and a bag of nectarines and nothing was squished.
Old 06-05-17, 02:31 PM
fourwinds

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's a photo of my Neko 3 bike rack and pack
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2017-06-05 13.26.25.jpg (96.5 KB, 524 views)
Old 06-05-17, 04:29 PM
jmohme

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fourwinds
I bought a Neko 3 this spring and I'm fairly happy with it, but I may raise the handlebar angle or go to swept back style. I bought a Bontracker back rack for $32.59 installed. It works fine without extenders and will take panniers if I ever want them. I'm really glad I also got the Bontrager trunk bag for $84 (during a Bike Gallery sale) which with a button push releases easily. It has a spot to mount my rear light. It has plenty of room to store my keys, phone, pump, patch kit, spare tube, tools, U lock, a small medical kit, a jacket, sunblock and some food. I took it on a hill loop and went to the store and by unzipping the expansion I added a large bag of chips, several bunches each of cilantro and mint and a bag of nectarines and nothing was squished.
I have the same rack and bag on my DS. It is a really nice setup.
I also have a briefcase to carry my laptop. It's not the Bontranger, but still locks onto the rail of the rack.
Old 06-05-17, 07:56 PM
jase33

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fourwinds
Here's a photo of my Neko 3 bike rack and pack
Good Lookin' Bike
Old 06-14-17, 02:18 PM
Its4theme

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2014 DS 8.5 owner here. I love my bike. I've ridden a couple of thousand miles in Western WA State and in Oahu. Oahu has proven kind of challenging but that's a different story. I am heading back to WA State and have been thinking about a new bike; something more fitted for endurance riding but can go off road as well (gravel, packed dirt trails) and maybe do some commuting as well. A "do-it-all" bike. While I've looked at bikes such as the Crossrip, Felt V85, etc., I realized that the answer may lie in the bike that I already have. My DS is super comfortable and can do all these things. The problem I have, is that it seems to start losing some of that comfort at distances beyond 20 miles. Also, while not looking to break speed records, I'd also like the option to get where I need to go in a hurry, so some extra speed would be appreciated when needed. WA State has quite a few hills. While I generally don't have too many problems climbing on the DS, I'm wondering what options are out there to make it a little easier. Overall, I'm looking at upgrades that can make my DS:

1) More comfortable for longer rides (40-70 miles)
2) Provide a little speed boost (yes....I know I can pedal faster....I'm trying, dangit!)
3) Little easier for hill climbs (under 15%)

Other than the Bontrager Commuter Gel CRZ+ saddle, Ergon GPS3 Grips/Bar ends, and Shimano A530 pedals, the bike is stock.

I'm a newbie when it comes to components (drive trains, cranksets, etc.), and while not opposed to turning some wrenches, I'm looking to avoid difficult DIY upgrades if at all possible. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.
Old 06-18-17, 12:42 PM
zachstep

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Its4theme
2014 DS 8.5 owner here. I love my bike. I've ridden a couple of thousand miles in Western WA State and in Oahu. Oahu has proven kind of challenging but that's a different story. I am heading back to WA State and have been thinking about a new bike; something more fitted for endurance riding but can go off road as well (gravel, packed dirt trails) and maybe do some commuting as well. A "do-it-all" bike. While I've looked at bikes such as the Crossrip, Felt V85, etc., I realized that the answer may lie in the bike that I already have. My DS is super comfortable and can do all these things. The problem I have, is that it seems to start losing some of that comfort at distances beyond 20 miles. Also, while not looking to break speed records, I'd also like the option to get where I need to go in a hurry, so some extra speed would be appreciated when needed. WA State has quite a few hills. While I generally don't have too many problems climbing on the DS, I'm wondering what options are out there to make it a little easier. Overall, I'm looking at upgrades that can make my DS:

1) More comfortable for longer rides (40-70 miles)
2) Provide a little speed boost (yes....I know I can pedal faster....I'm trying, dangit!)
3) Little easier for hill climbs (under 15%)

Other than the Bontrager Commuter Gel CRZ+ saddle, Ergon GPS3 Grips/Bar ends, and Shimano A530 pedals, the bike is stock.

I'm a newbie when it comes to components (drive trains, cranksets, etc.), and while not opposed to turning some wrenches, I'm looking to avoid difficult DIY upgrades if at all possible. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.
I'm actually wondering the same thing. I bought my DS 8.4 in 2015 (apparently a 2016 model) and have only gone off road a few times. The guy I used to ride with moved so now I'm mostly on paved bike paths and would love more speed (I've only been able to get up to 14mph on flat ground, I don't count the speed going downhill) and start doing some of these longer rides with some groups. I know most of it is get into better shape and pedal faster but I'm thinking that the bike itself also has something to do with it (that heavy fork for example).

Anyways, what's the fastest anyone has gotten their DS up to? The groups I see posting on facebook in my area seem to stay in the upper teens on average speed.
Old 06-22-17, 04:07 PM
redfoxdogs

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi folks! I've had my Neko since last summer and I love everything about it....except for the saddle. It is murder on the seatbones. I have tilted the saddle so the nose is slightly higher and that helps a bit, but it's still murder. I have a Brooks 66 on my Raleigh 3 speed and I have ridden that for 27 miles with not much of a problem, while 13 miles is a bear on the Neko. Has anyone replaced the saddle on a Neko? It is supposed to be comfortable for the female anatomy...not so much. I am 5'7" and weigh 155, which is about 15 pounds overweight for me.
Old 06-22-17, 07:44 PM
Brooke1687

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by redfoxdogs
Hi folks! I've had my Neko since last summer and I love everything about it....except for the saddle. It is murder on the seatbones. I have tilted the saddle so the nose is slightly higher and that helps a bit, but it's still murder. I have a Brooks 66 on my Raleigh 3 speed and I have ridden that for 27 miles with not much of a problem, while 13 miles is a bear on the Neko. Has anyone replaced the saddle on a Neko? It is supposed to be comfortable for the female anatomy...not so much. I am 5'7" and weigh 155, which is about 15 pounds overweight for me.
The dual sport I rented before buying my Neko had a bontrager gel saddle that I really liked. It wasn't overly thick but was comfortable for my 20 mile ride. I haven't gotten a chance to even try the Neko yet, I wanted to give it a try before I spent even more money on another saddle but I suspect I'll be in the same boat as you when I'm finally able to ride it. Anyone have any slightly cheaper options than the bontrager?
Old 06-23-17, 11:55 AM
Zig2k143

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New to me Trek DS 8.3 2014

I'm enjoying my new ride... It's a bit larger for me at 22inches but it was free. I cut down the seat post and moved the saddle all the way up. It helped a lot.
Attached Images
PHOTO_20170617_195353.jpg (100.0 KB, 432 views)
PHOTO_20170622_192239.jpg (100.6 KB, 440 views)
PHOTO_20170622_192328.jpg (99.5 KB, 433 views)
Old 06-23-17, 02:41 PM
1911bg

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by zachstep
I'm actually wondering the same thing. I bought my DS 8.4 in 2015 (apparently a 2016 model) and have only gone off road a few times. The guy I used to ride with moved so now I'm mostly on paved bike paths and would love more speed (I've only been able to get up to 14mph on flat ground, I don't count the speed going downhill) and start doing some of these longer rides with some groups. I know most of it is get into better shape and pedal faster but I'm thinking that the bike itself also has something to do with it (that heavy fork for example).

Anyways, what's the fastest anyone has gotten their DS up to? The groups I see posting on facebook in my area seem to stay in the upper teens on average speed.
I have had my DS 2 up to 18 mph on flat ground .
Old 06-24-17, 10:37 PM
1911bg

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here is a pic of my DS 2

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.