Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-21, 11:28 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
My wife gets her second shot next week. Of all the people she knows who have gotten it only one has had an adverse reaction. That was basically flu like symptoms for a few days. Sore arms, though, are pretty common. Still I find I'm personally reluctant. Getting sick even for a day isn't on my list of things to do. It was just about a year ago that I got sick, and I'm really just pulling my life together.
Old 01-28-21, 11:57 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
How does it compare to the tetanus shot? For me that's the worst one (I feel like a horse kicked me in the shoulder for a few days after that one), though I've heard that the shingles one is pretty awful.
As I remember it is about the same as tetanus. I was going to get a shingles shot. However, I paused only because the shot can deliver flu like symptoms and I did not want to get flu like symptoms and then wonder if it was the shot or something else. Once I get covid vaccination process behind me and recovered for a couple of weeks, I will get the shingles shot.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 01-29-21, 08:34 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
For years I always wondered what the big purchase in my life I am going to regret, and I've been pretty lucky until now. I usually research and review for hours and that's worked out well. However, we bought an espresso machine for $1600 in December, and it died a week ago. We've only gotten ahold of a tech once, he hasn't been returning my calls and is out until Monday. I don't think they're being shady, just overwhelmed (hopefully) however I'm getting a bit peeved. I always think because I'm overly nice to be they take advantage of that. Its built well and all the parts are replaceable, so my guess is its a blown fuse and its not catastrophically dead. These things are built to last for years. I could probably have a tech out here fix it for $200, but its under warranty and I shouldn't even have to consider that (but I love my lattes!).

We ordered it from the East Coast, so if we have to send it back that's at a minimum a 2 week turnaround since its 70 lbs, hopefully that's not the case. Maybe I'll hit up my neighbor for a volt meter and try to figure it out myself, but that's way outside my scope.
Old 01-29-21, 08:50 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
For years I always wondered what the big purchase in my life I am going to regret, and I've been pretty lucky until now. I usually research and review for hours and that's worked out well. However, we bought an espresso machine for $1600 in December, and it died a week ago. We've only gotten ahold of a tech once, he hasn't been returning my calls and is out until Monday. I don't think they're being shady, just overwhelmed (hopefully) however I'm getting a bit peeved. I always think because I'm overly nice to be they take advantage of that. Its built well and all the parts are replaceable, so my guess is its a blown fuse and its not catastrophically dead. These things are built to last for years. I could probably have a tech out here fix it for $200, but its under warranty and I shouldn't even have to consider that (but I love my lattes!).

We ordered it from the East Coast, so if we have to send it back that's at a minimum a 2 week turnaround since its 70 lbs, hopefully that's not the case. Maybe I'll hit up my neighbor for a volt meter and try to figure it out myself, but that's way outside my scope.
Everyone should own a multimeter and know the basics.

A very useful tool.
Likes For Enthalpic:
Old 01-29-21, 08:52 PM
furiousferret

I think I'm going to buy one tomorrow. I electrocuted myself trying to fix an electric piano when I was 5 and that's the extent of my electrical expertise.
Old 01-30-21, 09:19 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8285 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts
I think I'm going to buy one tomorrow. I electrocuted myself trying to fix an electric piano when I was 5 and that's the extent of my electrical expertise.
I don't know about espresso machines but you might be able to find troubleshooting and diagnosis tips on line. If it's completely dark it might be a power supply problem but if it has IC controls it might be tough to diagnose. Good luck! And don't void your warranty!
Likes For big john:
Old 01-30-21, 10:43 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
We bought some lower end but not absolutely rock bottom espresso machines which ended up with leaking water. I would love a more premium one but afraid of stuff breaking. We settled on a nespresso for a few years now and am happy with that (I also drink Dunkin’ coffee so I’m like super basic lol)
Old 01-30-21, 01:44 PM
furiousferret

Originally Posted by hubcyclist
We bought some lower end but not absolutely rock bottom espresso machines which ended up with leaking water. I would love a more premium one but afraid of stuff breaking. We settled on a nespresso for a few years now and am happy with that (I also drink Dunkin’ coffee so I’m like super basic lol)
I had a $600 Breville that lasted 2 1/2 years, but the parts were plastic and not replaceable. The expensive espresso machines typically have metal and silicone pieces, most of the parts can be swapped out if you are fairly mechanically savvy (which I'm not). If you're one of those people that goes to Starbucks everyday its worth it to get one. We spent $10 a day on coffee and now we spend about $2 for better coffee.
Likes For furiousferret:
Old 01-30-21, 09:00 PM
archi_jbg4
LookingforaStowe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
New here, testing out the search functionality

Hey new here, I am testing the search functionality. I am looking for a Stowe frame to replace my smaller frame and somehow it directed me here LoL
Old 01-31-21, 10:05 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
I had a $600 Breville that lasted 2 1/2 years, but the parts were plastic and not replaceable. The expensive espresso machines typically have metal and silicone pieces, most of the parts can be swapped out if you are fairly mechanically savvy (which I'm not). If you're one of those people that goes to Starbucks everyday its worth it to get one. We spent $10 a day on coffee and now we spend about $2 for better coffee.
Before the 'rona one of the primary reasons I drive most anything W of Kansas instead of flying is to take my espresso setup (and I was already sick of flying)
Just unpacked. I like doing things the hard way. I'm driving ~45 min tomorrow to a local roaster to get my stash.

Likes For Doge:
Old 01-31-21, 10:10 PM
Doge

BTW - did you buy one? I know a fair amount about espresso. All we do last 30 years. Do you want to make it a hobby, or just get caffeen in your system?
Old 01-31-21, 11:43 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Doge You coffee maker reminds me of something Dr. Frankenstein would have in his laboratory.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 02-01-21, 08:02 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
We'll see if the place turns out to be kind of scammy, but I found a replica jersey place and bought a pair. I like to keep a couple of cheapo jerseys around for those shorter warm weather rides where you don't need any true "performance" from a standpoint of fit, the pockets, cooling, aero etc.......... Just farting around town.

I got a replica La Vie Claire jersey and a replica of the ridiculous EF Education "palace" duck jersey thing. Just for fun.

Only reason I mention "scammy" is I always thought replica jerseys was kind of a gray market deal. I can't imagine the real places would give up the licensing that fast. If they come, we'll see what they look like.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 02-01-21, 09:52 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8285 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
BTW - did you buy one? I know a fair amount about espresso. All we do last 30 years. Do you want to make it a hobby, or just get caffeen in your system?
He was thinking of buying a multimeter to try and diagnose his espresso machine.
Likes For big john:
Old 02-01-21, 01:12 PM
furiousferret

Originally Posted by Doge
Before the 'rona one of the primary reasons I drive most anything W of Kansas instead of flying is to take my espresso setup (and I was already sick of flying)
Just unpacked. I like doing things the hard way. I'm driving ~45 min tomorrow to a local roaster to get my stash.

Nice, a La Pavoni. I really thought about getting one but I went semi automatic. Those require a bit more nuance.

I guess its a hobby now; when you have an espresso machine its not a chore to make coffee but you have a workflow. I also plan on doing some upgrades, like flow control. Sometimes I try latte art but tbh we usually make a weak espresso so we can have more to drink the morning. With a proper shot my art is okay....

Originally Posted by big john
He was thinking of buying a multimeter to try and diagnose his espresso machine.
Yep, got it. Everything is getting juice except under the boiler, which I suppose is a good sign. I'm going to have to call the guys again today; the hard part is they're open when I work and my work has been crazy.
Old 02-01-21, 01:17 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
As I remember it is about the same as tetanus. I was going to get a shingles shot. However, I paused only because the shot can deliver flu like symptoms and I did not want to get flu like symptoms and then wonder if it was the shot or something else. Once I get covid vaccination process behind me and recovered for a couple of weeks, I will get the shingles shot.
I need to ask for the shingles shot. I had it in law school and was told at the time that it was a fairly mild case. It was still pretty awful. I would not want to get a non-mild case.
Old 02-01-21, 01:30 PM
Doge

... Those require a bit more nuance....
You can also get into tamping and grind with any. Bottomless portafilters are fun. Some put mirros on to watch the shots.
Check out this with Campy QR handles to make it BikeForum friendly
Old 02-01-21, 11:07 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Speaking of humans turning literally anything into a hobby (espresso?) we got my daughter a hamster for her birthday. My wife has had a bunch before. I had no idea the lengths you could go to with fancy, huge cages with tons of stuff and apparatus and extensions and tubes and accessories.

It's a whole world, and of course I'm obsessive so my wife is already upset that I want too much and too big for the hamster.
Likes For Flatballer:
Old 02-02-21, 08:35 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
I like to refer to Minneapolis as a giant hamster village, because all the buildings are connected by enclosed bridges or tunnels, allowing you to traverse the city without stepping outside.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 02-02-21, 11:08 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by topflightpro
I like to refer to Minneapolis as a giant hamster village, because all the buildings are connected by enclosed bridges or tunnels, allowing you to traverse the city without stepping outside.
Never thought of that. It is a cool feature. Charlotte used to have one or two, but they aren't allowed to build more (they want people at ground level for retail). Duke Energy had a couple between their own buildings, so when they tore down one building, they left the bridge, just in case it came in handy later.
Old 02-02-21, 12:10 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
I've only been to Minneapolis once, and it was years ago, but I remember there being a lot of retail on all those buildings' second floors. It was like a giant mall, but in office buildings. I remember wandering for an hour or so, and coming to realize that I'd walked through so many buildings and tubes and tunnels, I wasn't sure I could remember how to get back to my hotel. Then I looked out the window and saw my hotel was directly across the street, so I went down to the first floor and crossed the street.
Old 02-02-21, 12:15 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by topflightpro
I've only been to Minneapolis once, and it was years ago, but I remember there being a lot of retail on all those buildings' second floors. It was like a giant mall, but in office buildings. I remember wandering for an hour or so, and coming to realize that I'd walked through so many buildings and tubes and tunnels, I wasn't sure I could remember how to get back to my hotel. Then I looked out the window and saw my hotel was directly across the street, so I went down to the first floor and crossed the street.
Yeah, Charlotte has some similar stuff (I've been to Minneapolis but I never left my hotel). There's an area downtown that's all connected (a couple blocks at least) that you can walk between, and there are a ton of restaurants and shops and stuff inside that level, and it connects across to another thing called Epicenter, which is all a contained thing. No idea what that place is like thanks to Covid though. It was almost entirely office workers during the day, and clubs at night. Those office workers are all working from home I'm sure, and the clubs I don't think are open.
Old 02-02-21, 01:33 PM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer
Speaking of humans turning literally anything into a hobby (espresso?) we got my daughter a hamster for her birthday. My wife has had a bunch before. I had no idea the lengths you could go to with fancy, huge cages with tons of stuff and apparatus and extensions and tubes and accessories.

It's a whole world, and of course I'm obsessive so my wife is already upset that I want too much and too big for the hamster.
When you have a power meter on his hamster wheel you have gone to far.
Old 02-02-21, 01:45 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by cmh
When you have a power meter on his hamster wheel you have gone to far.
I want to say it didn't occur to me.

I want to say that.

Ok, I didn't think about a power meter, but I did think about some sort of odometer to track her. She runs all damn night, she must cover a lot of ground. They run like 5 or 6 miles a night, which is bonkers, on those tiny little legs. I can't imagine.
Old 02-02-21, 02:57 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer

Someday I will get some rats. They are apparently pretty fun pets.
Likes For Enthalpic:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.