Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

The Photo Thread of You Riding Your Bike aka Action Jackson

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

The Photo Thread of You Riding Your Bike aka Action Jackson

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-13, 03:55 PM
Training.Wheels
Cool Guy

Bikes: Jamis Sputnik, Leader 722 Heritage Edition, Brompton, Bianchi Via Nirone, Robinson SST, Diamondback Sorrento

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you ever feel like you'd be better off with bullhorns and crosslevers since you seem to like to stay on the tops?
Old 03-11-13, 04:19 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 118 Posts
Why in the world would bullhorns be a good idea?

There's nothing wrong with rolling on the tops for a majority of riding, that's why drop bars exist. Lots of hand options.
Old 03-11-13, 04:31 PM
Training.Wheels
Cool Guy

Bikes: Jamis Sputnik, Leader 722 Heritage Edition, Brompton, Bianchi Via Nirone, Robinson SST, Diamondback Sorrento

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
Why in the world would bullhorns be a good idea?

There's nothing wrong with rolling on the tops for a majority of riding, that's why drop bars exist. Lots of hand options.
If you have drop bars with hoods, it's a good idea to be on the hoods the majority of the time. Not sure if you ride a modern road bike but the average fitter would tell you that being on the tops the majority of the time on bars like that means that either you're a beginner or you don't fit into your bike. After all, the hoods are where the brakes are. Also, he's running single speed; safety first. Also, not tryna be a jerk but from seeing some of my bigger buddies who bike, a lot of them don't like to stretch out or go low, so I'm assuming that he is rarely on the hoods or drops (if I'm wrong, I apologize). So what's your argument as to why bullhorns would be a bad idea? I suggested it for better brake position and also since he said he likes to climb.

Last edited by Training.Wheels; 03-11-13 at 04:49 PM.
Old 03-11-13, 04:48 PM
Spoonrobot 

Let's see.

You jumped to a huge conclusion based on two pictures.

If anyone takes the time to look at your previous posts it's obvious you're either new to this or just generally not very knowledgeable about cycling in general. Your advice is probably going to be poor.

Fitting bullhorns to a bike currently fit with drop bars is going to require a shorter stem.

Bullhorns offer only two hand positions, both of which are essentially on the same plane.

And finally, the poster you're giving ****ty advice to is a lady. Based on the amount of riding she's done and the videos she posts I'm fairly certain she doesn't need your advice.
Old 03-11-13, 04:59 PM
Training.Wheels
Cool Guy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Let's see.

You jumped to a huge conclusion based on two pictures.

If anyone takes the time to look at your previous posts it's obvious you're either new to this or just generally not very knowledgeable about cycling in general. Your advice is probably going to be poor.

Fitting bullhorns to a bike currently fit with drop bars is going to require a shorter stem.

Bullhorns offer only two hand positions, both of which are essentially on the same plane.

And finally, the poster you're giving ****ty advice to is a lady. Based on the amount of riding she's done and the videos she posts I'm fairly certain she doesn't need your advice.
Ok, you're wrong. You don't need a shorter stem. A shorter stem would change your positioning on the tops. If anything, people would prefer shorter stems on road bars (to reach the hoods without stretching out), not bullhorns. And yes sure I may be relatively new but I have volunteered at various shops and have learned a lot within a short amount of time - I still have things to learn through experience but I'm not exactly clueless. As for the lady, I apologize. But as for you, Spoon, don't be so rude and it seems that your advice isn't so perfect either with that whole shorter stem deal.

Last edited by Training.Wheels; 03-11-13 at 05:11 PM.
Old 03-11-13, 05:13 PM
Spoonrobot 

Let's follow your logic chain:

1. Rider is always on the tops, bike must not fit. From this we assume the bike is too large.

2. You recommend bullhorns, which, for the vast majority of styles will push the forward most hand position out further than drop bars.

3. Keep the same stem as you recommend.

4. Now, finally you state the reach to the tops won't change.

So why in the world would someone switch to bullhorns? Following your advice has just made the reach longer and eliminated at least two hand positions.

lol.

Like I could see the future. Please stop.

Read a little, post less:
https://www.google.com/search?num=50...hp.mLrhfchO5mo
Old 03-11-13, 05:21 PM
Training.Wheels
Cool Guy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. I never said the bike is too large, just that the reach to the brakes seemed too far for what I assumed was her riding style. Her frame fits fine. I guess I wasn't the only one making bold assumptions.

2. bullhorns, on the tops, would stay in the same position as the drop bars with the same stem.

3. yes, keep the same stem.

4. It wouldn't change, and that's what I wanted since I assumed she likes to be on the tops (why would I change the position of where she likes to be). Also, not all bullhorns have the same reach, just as all drop bars don't as well. But that's besides the point, I recommended the horns so that she can have crosslever brakes on the tops (which I assumed is where she likes to stay based on her reach and positioning in the pictures) and be able to climb on the horns. If she's good with the drops, then my bad! I didn't know her experience level. But really though, please look at her current body angle and reach on the tops and try and tell me that you can imagine her on the hoods at a comfortable position. I personally can not.

5. Since you're poor, I could assume that you settle for vintage bikes that don't necessarily fit you, have only owned conversions, and don't have the money to get professionally fitted and thus don't have that much reliable experience, either. But you know what? I won't judge you on past posts but only on what you write at the moment. You felt like my advice was bad, and I feel like your retort was just as bad. You have absolutely no right to say I'm wrong here; I was merely stating a preference of mine. It may not agree with what you like, but it's not wrong.

Last edited by Training.Wheels; 03-11-13 at 06:18 PM.
Old 03-11-13, 05:57 PM
Nagrom_
Fixie Infamous

Bikes: 2007 CAAD Optimo Track, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10, 1996 GT Force restomod, 2015 Cannondale CAADX

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Can we keep it tight butthole, please? We don't need a cock show, you guys both have giant penors. We get it.
Old 03-11-13, 06:01 PM
Training.Wheels
Cool Guy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nagrom_
Can we keep it tight butthole, please? We don't need a cock show, you guys both have giant penors. We get it.
Thanks Morgan, haha. Ok fine. He can have his two cents. Different strokes.
Old 03-11-13, 06:20 PM
Spoonrobot 

You must not know who Bitech is the parent company of. But what do I know, I only work in this industry.

Old 03-11-13, 06:23 PM
Training.Wheels
Cool Guy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How's it feel being janitor? Jk, man - you made your point. I'm still not wrong, though.
Old 03-11-13, 06:25 PM
Spoonrobot 

You have no idea. There's a reason I've been pushing for "Customers Only" signs and procedures for store restrooms.
Old 03-11-13, 06:26 PM
Training.Wheels
Cool Guy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 03-11-13, 06:56 PM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I'm pretty sure the poster is a male, considering he said he was wearing baggy clothes and had the go pro on the helmet...the guy in those pictures seems to fit the description.

I have no input on the handlebars. Carry on amongst yourselves.

Old 03-11-13, 07:23 PM
hockeyteeth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whoa, this is a fantastic discussion.
Old 03-11-13, 07:24 PM
Cyril 

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The poster is a woman.
Check out her videos in the Athena and Clyde forum.
She's witty, articulate, and a hell of a climber.
Old 03-11-13, 07:45 PM
Jandro 

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Please bring this back on topic before I have to step in further. freighttraininguphill is an experienced rider; if she wanted fit advice, she would have asked.

Thanks.

Freight, I'm really surprised you don't wear more bike-specific clothing. Do you at least wear a chamois under the shorts? With the amount of climbing and such you do, I would think it would be super uncomfortable not to. P.s. keep kicking out the awesome videos. You rock.

P.s. I did Dalewood here in SF the other day after some Twin Peaks repeats. Have you done it? It's a killer. https://app.strava.com/segments/1767523

Last edited by Jandro; 03-11-13 at 07:53 PM.
Old 03-11-13, 07:46 PM
Adrian_

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
*edit*lol nvrmind

Last edited by Adrian_; 03-11-13 at 07:49 PM.
Old 03-11-13, 07:50 PM
hockeyteeth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Goddammit. Look at her profile and you will see the poster is a woman. You guys are morons.
Old 03-11-13, 08:01 PM
Jandro 

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Practicing what I preach. Here a couple from this weekend's club ride up the Coastal Trail to Mt. Tamalpias.

Making silly faces as we got to the Pantol Ranger station:

Old 03-11-13, 08:04 PM
freighttraininguphill

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jandro
Freight, I'm really surprised you don't wear more bike-specific clothing. Do you at least wear a chamois under the shorts? With the amount of climbing and such you do, I would think it would be super uncomfortable not to. P.s. keep kicking out the awesome videos. You rock.
I apologize for the low quality pictures. They were posted on the Meetup page for the women's cycling club I'm a member of, and I copied them and posted them on my Photobucket account. Yes, the baggy clothes make me look androgynous, but I need to lose 20-30 pounds before I would even consider wearing cycling clothing. I may be more comfortable with less flab.

I don't wear chamois.

I posted a video from this ride in the "weekend ride reports" thread in the NorCal subforum.

I haven't done Dalewood, but one of my YouTube subscribers has. He posted video of it, and judging by his breathing it's a hell of a climb! I will do it next time I visit SF.

Last edited by freighttraininguphill; 03-11-13 at 08:09 PM.
Old 03-11-13, 08:12 PM
Adrian_

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jandro
Practicing what I preach. Here a couple from this weekend's club ride up the Coastal Trail to Mt. Tamalpias.

Making silly faces as we got to the Pantol Ranger station:
Gnar, looks like 60-70 degrees maybe more. Aren't your feet hot in those booties?
Old 03-11-13, 08:12 PM
hockeyteeth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You are indeed Beard Champion, sir. Looks like a fun ride.

Here's an old photo of me riding somewhere in Pittsburgh a while back:

Last edited by hockeyteeth; 03-11-13 at 08:19 PM.
Old 03-11-13, 08:17 PM
Nagrom_
Fixie Infamous

Bikes: 2007 CAAD Optimo Track, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10, 1996 GT Force restomod, 2015 Cannondale CAADX

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Sweet jump, haha.
Old 03-11-13, 08:53 PM
IthaDan 

Bikes: Click on the #YOLO

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Me OTF.

Airball:

Shimano : Click :: Campy : Snap :: SRAM : Bang

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.