Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Fave ride of the year?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Fave ride of the year?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-20, 06:24 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 305 Times in 217 Posts
I just did a few days cycling across Florida, a full writeup is on CycleBlaze here.

Day 2 I did a 79 mile ride from Auburndale to Mt. Dora was one of my most fun rides in a while. It included a 35 mile stretch on the TECO/Auburndale and Van Fleet trails, followed by back country riding and a stop at the Yalaha Bakery - awesome. Then riding along Lake Shore Drive along Lake Dora was very scenic too.

The only downside was to get to the Lake Dora area I had to cross a half mile bridge over Little Harris Lake that had construction and no bike lane or shoulder left. I had to claim the entire lane and traffic built up behind me, and a few impatient drivers squeezed by on the bridge. Not sure how long that construction will last.
Old 01-23-20, 09:28 AM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by HarborBandS
I'm seriously considering doing the RAW in 2020 or 2021. But I'm uncertain if I want to do the sleep over in Plover, WI, or just continue through for a one day ride. I've only completed one Century ride in the past, so this is a significant step up in distance for me.

It looks like the last 40% of the ride is considerably easier than the first 60% or so, with the majority being downhill. Did you find this to be true? Were any of the climbs particularly draining? They all look pretty short, though the two near mile 50 look like they might sting a little.
I've never done the ride, but from looking at the elevation graph, you won't notice the downhill. Descending 400' over ~90 miles is not a downhill. What will kill you is the rollers or wind you have to deal with on tired legs. Or a blow-out back/neck from not having enough long rides under your belt.
Old 01-23-20, 09:45 AM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Cypress
I've never done the ride, but from looking at the elevation graph, you won't notice the downhill. Descending 400' over ~90 miles is not a downhill. What will kill you is the rollers or wind you have to deal with on tired legs. Or a blow-out back/neck from not having enough long rides under your belt.
I guess the graphic is deceiving, since the vast majority of that ride exists between 800 and 1000 feet.

It's hard for me to understand what happens in that last 100 miles or so. I felt pretty good after my Century last year, and definitely had some more in the tank. My average speed was only 16 mph, but I was with a friend who was perhaps a little slower than me. It seems to me that I'd have to keep that average speed the entire distance to finish this 225 miles in one day, otherwise they'd shut it down on me.

Seems like training may involve a Century one month out, perhaps a 200k, and then 150 miles a week or two before? That's a challenging month of riding leading up to this.