Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Recovery when riding every day?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Recovery when riding every day?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-08, 08:47 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
This isn't that complicated. You get stronger from hard work (muscles tear down) and recovery (rest days). 28-45 miles per day for 2 or 3 days tears you down. That is unless you are used to 300 miles per week with an 80 to 100 mile weekend day.

You need rest and recovery. Ride for three days and take a day off. It's that simple.

The alternative is keep trying for a week. You'll suffer from all the classic symptoms of overtraining plus risk injury
Old 09-09-08, 09:22 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
This isn't that complicated. You get stronger from hard work (muscles tear down) and recovery (rest days). 28-45 miles per day for 2 or 3 days tears you down. That is unless you are used to 300 miles per week with an 80 to 100 mile weekend day.

You need rest and recovery. Ride for three days and take a day off. It's that simple.

The alternative is keep trying for a week. You'll suffer from all the classic symptoms of overtraining plus risk injury
Why do you think that ordinary cycling tears down muscle? Is there any scientific evidence of this? I'm certainly not aware of any, and I'm fairly well read.

Certainly if you're tired you should rest. But isn't the human body designed to do more than two hours a day of moderate intensity work? If you're doing your commute as a time trial that's one thing. But an ordinary commute to work should not be grueling.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 09-10-08, 08:18 AM
angelaharms
Spark of the Divine Fire

Bikes: Raleigh Detour 4.5, Trek Sole Ride 100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bolo Grubb
just slow down.

I ride close to the same distance. I force myself to take it easy a couple of days each week. I mean real easy. For me it means taking an extra 10 to 15 minutes to do the commute then my average time. I find I have more energy for the weekend rides when I do this.
CCrew, I gotta +1. I was riding this morning, sweating and panting on my little overpass, and it hit me. You are trying to work out! Just like me, I bet, you are riding and pushing yourself at close to your limit. I think you always do, and that is messing you up, because you're doing, as the fibromyalgia folks say "too much." While I happen to love a life that involves doing "too much," there is such a thing as too much "too much."

Or, as the dog (or was it the cat) in one of my favorite kids movies says, "It is possible to over-frolic."

What do you think?

Angela
Old 09-10-08, 10:47 AM
CCrew
Older than dirt

Bikes: Too darn many.. latest count is 11

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by angelaharms
CCrew, I gotta +1. I was riding this morning, sweating and panting on my little overpass, and it hit me. You are trying to work out! Just like me, I bet, you are riding and pushing yourself at close to your limit.
It's entirely possible. Certainly not a plan in my mind, but sometimes as we all know - we aren't always doing what our mind thinks we are. I rode today - and I'm certainly sitting here feeling it ! 13 miles in 58 minutes according to my Cateye. Pretty much going to have to cycle tomorrow, as most of the streets are going to be closed for the 9/11 festivities at the Pentagon and traffic will be nuts getting to my office, so I'll try to make a concerted effort to go easy tonight and tomorrow and see how it goes.

-R
Old 09-12-08, 11:56 AM
AdamD
Biker, Lover, Fighter

Bikes: My own hand built frames

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ccrew- Are you riding with a backpack or a rack/pannier solution? I had been riding with a backpack and just got a new bike with a rack and panniers. This morning was my first ride without a backpack and the difference in how I feel is amazing. I felt like I was barely working without the backpack and when I got to work I had barely broken a sweat. Not sure if this will help you or not, just wanted to throw in another 2 cents of mine.
Old 09-12-08, 01:13 PM
CCrew
Older than dirt

Bikes: Too darn many.. latest count is 11

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AdamD
Ccrew- Are you riding with a backpack or a rack/pannier solution? I had been riding with a backpack and just got a new bike with a rack and panniers. This morning was my first ride without a backpack and the difference in how I feel is amazing. I felt like I was barely working without the backpack and when I got to work I had barely broken a sweat. Not sure if this will help you or not, just wanted to throw in another 2 cents of mine.
Road bike I ride with a backpack. MTB I ride with rack/panniers. I switch back and forth between the two bikes, but would put the road bike as primary... although the MTB is sitting by my desk right now :-)

It's an idea... but I'm working on making it home tonight and I'll see if what I'm trying seems to help... so far it may have. Pretty much a combo of some of the suggestions above with some self analysis thrown in

-R
Old 09-12-08, 01:20 PM
FredOak
SA[in]NE

Bikes: Trek 7200

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 53 and have found that 3 days in a row is about the max for 20 miles or greater on each day. I'll then take a day off and it makes all the difference in the world.

The one day break seems just enough for the aches to work themselves out and the next time riding just feels so much better.

But I have to agree with others that hydration, salt/potassium intake, diet and sleep all effect it greatly.