Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

SPD myth busting

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

SPD myth busting

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-15, 09:16 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
^^^ Triple Win!!!
Old 03-09-15, 11:13 AM
davlafont
No newbie

Bikes: 2001 Specialized Expedition Sport | 1972 Raleigh Sprite 27 | 1973 Raleigh Super Course | 1984 Trek 720 | 2019 Cannondale SuperX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tjspiel
I'm also toying with a "clipless toe clip" system.
That's an interesting idea. My patent lawyer says I might make a mint...

j/k
Old 03-09-15, 11:20 AM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by tjspiel
Well, for those that are uncomfortable with the idea of a triple sided pedal, I'm also toying with a "clipless toe clip" system.

Basically it's a toe clip mounted to the pedal via SPD cleat. I'm sure the brilliance of this idea will be apparent after a little thought. You can use regular shoes and you can cinch those shoes down as tight as you like. To get out in an emergency, just twist your foot and the whole shebang comes loose.

If anyone steals that idea, I will be pissed.
I mentioned in another pedal thread the possibility of a cleat that could clamp to any type of footwear like an old-fashioned roller skate. Not everybody wants or can afford a closet full of compatible footwear for all conditions.

BTW, it was a post of yours about campus pedals that was the straw that broke the camels back, motivating me to give foot retention one more try. Trouble maker.
Old 03-09-15, 12:47 PM
spare_wheel

Bikes: NA

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by kickstart
Its kinda interesting, the obviously blind enthusiasm some have for their personal preferences, and the need for it to be beyond reproach.
Spds do not imbue the user with special powers, are not especially difficult to use, and are not a commuting badge of honor. They are just pedals.
Old 03-09-15, 02:01 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
After years and years of toeclips, I finally made the change to SPDs.
Somewhere I have leather shoes with cleats for the toeclips... what a pain to walk in those.

I don't find the SPDs to be perfect for walking. Fine for errands, but I like to change shoes if I'm planning on wearing them for a few hours off the bike, or perhaps heading out to do outside work. The soles are hard, and more slippery than other shoes, but presumably wear less too (only 1/8" or so and one wears below the cleat). But they are far more comfortable (and safer for walking in) than my old Italian road shoes.

As far as foot retention, (toeclips or SPDs (or others)), I personally like it. I've been riding a bike with the toeclips for so long that I feel very uncomfortable without it. But, I can certainly ride a bike, at least for short distances without it.

I don't know what my average crank stroke is like. I do know that I pull up from time to time, especially when accelerating, climbing a hill, or pulling a heavy load. And, I get a better short-term power boost from the cleats. Once clipped in, I never have to worry about where the feet are.

Good or bad, I wonder if the clips/cleats give better calf muscle exercise, as many people ride with a mid-foot position with flats.

Anyway, I agree that it isn't a one-size-fits-all thing. Cleats are good for some people. Not necessary for others. I don't see a lot of them around town, but when I did the DRT race, almost everyone had them.
Old 03-09-15, 02:31 PM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
I mentioned in another pedal thread the possibility of a cleat that could clamp to any type of footwear like an old-fashioned roller skate. Not everybody wants or can afford a closet full of compatible footwear for all conditions.

BTW, it was a post of yours about campus pedals that was the straw that broke the camels back, motivating me to give foot retention one more try. Trouble maker.
I should be more careful about what I write. I'm not sure I can handle the responsibility that goes along with someone actually paying attention.

Not everyone likes campus pedals. I was pretty luke warm about mine when I first got them, - before I figured out that they do hang a certain way which makes clipping in more reliable. For some early winter riding I replaced them on my fixed gear with a set of cheap pinned platform pedals. The weather is starting to get nice enough that I can put them back on again.

Looking forward to it.

Last edited by tjspiel; 03-09-15 at 02:41 PM.
Old 03-09-15, 02:32 PM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by spare_wheel
Spds do not imbue the user with special powers, are not especially difficult to use, and are not a commuting badge of honor. They are just pedals.
Just because they didn't give you any special powers...

I can now turn invisible and travel through time.
Old 03-09-15, 03:16 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7350 Post(s)
Liked 2,475 Times in 1,438 Posts
Originally Posted by modernjess
Myth #1 - Clipless pedals are better for you: Plausible.
Myth #2 - Platform pedals are better for you : Plausible.
Myth #3 - What works for me is what's best for you : Busted
Myth #4 - What works for you is what you should ride: Confirmed.
Can we close the thread now? If I say cleats are better, you can bust that as a myth, but if I say I like them, you can't. Why can't we have our own preferences and leave it at that?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-10-15, 08:05 AM
RoderWrench

Bikes: Cannondale Slate and the rest don't matter anymore.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I'm experimenting with velcro.
Old 03-10-15, 10:57 PM
AlTheKiller

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
In true Mythbusters fashion, a completely unscientific approach was used one time, to form a very strong opinion and claim busted/plausible/etc... bravo

As a guy who commutes on both platforms and SPDs, and did a few years of toecage commuting I can say one thing for sure, the OP got most of it wrong.
Old 03-11-15, 08:20 AM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by AlTheKiller
In true Mythbusters fashion, a completely unscientific approach was used one time, to form a very strong opinion and claim busted/plausible/etc... bravo

As a guy who commutes on both platforms and SPDs, and did a few years of toecage commuting I can say one thing for sure, the OP got most of it wrong.
"Most of it wrong" with no explanation?
My post was a less than serious attempt to share my impression of SPD pedals, and address some of the blind enthusiasm, and bike shop sales pitch that over emphasizes its advantages while glossing over their limitations.
Old 03-12-15, 02:08 PM
gregjones

Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Pedals, Shimano SP-324 pedals which are SPD on one side and standard MTB cage on the other...................Its been almost 30 years since I last used clipless pedals, yet I was able to immediately clip in and ride with hardly any effort, and with the tension set to minimum, its so easy to clip out I can't imaging having a "clipless moment". Even after increasing tension, clipping out can be done without conscious thought.
With no thought of agreement with either side of any safety or efficiency issues.....

I just got back from my first ride on the 324s that I got yesterday. This makes the sixth model of SPD pedals from 2 manufacturers that I have used. They are BY FAR the easiest "clipping" of the pedals that I have used. I took the wrench with me to adjust them and stopped within the first half mile to increase the tension.
Old 09-18-16, 06:53 PM
HiintheSky

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pedal journey

Im no stranger to clipless pedals, having tried several different brands and models. In the end however im a fixed gear addict who cant stand being attached to his pedals. Clips and straps for me. Distance and speed are no issues at all for me. Granted im not racing but more frequently on and off the bike with a lot of in traffic riding. I wont ever clip in again, i just love the freedom of flat pedals too much.
Old 09-18-16, 07:16 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by yankeefan
The people who think clipless pedals are somehow more dangerous are usually the people who've never ridden them, or haven't been riding them long enough. I had many of the same reservations that you had, and upon trying them I was an immediate convert. Don't worry, your clipless moment will come soon! It took me three rides before it happened
I've ridden with them for about 10 years, and I'm ambivalent about them. To me they're a mixed bag compared to toe clips. I don't think I would change to SPD if I had to go through the expense of pedals and shoes again, I'd probably just keep riding with toe clips.

Since I have them on both of my bikes anyway I'll probably just keep riding with them, though I do switch to platforms for the dead of winter when I'm riding with big stompy boots.
Old 09-18-16, 07:23 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by RoderWrench
I'm experimenting with velcro.
Let us know how it works out for you. It was about 6 years ago I showed off my velcro non-clicky clipless on a thread here ... no one was impressed. Including me. But I can't help wanting to revisit the idea from time to time. Let's see what you come up with.
Old 09-18-16, 09:42 PM
Phloom

Bikes: Too many to list here

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2
I have a pair of these, and with SPD cleats, you don't sound like a horse clip clopping along. They are comfortable enough to walk around in as well. They don't look like biking shoes which is great.

As for the clipless vs flats vs straps, this is a never ending battle, and for some, clipless works and others prefer platforms. There is no right or wrong choice, only what works for you. I have been riding clipless now for so long that I don't want to go back to flats. I commute on them and do fun rides with them.
I use these for my clipped as in old school clipped pedals and my daily commuter with simple flat pedals. One of my best acquisitions ever.
Old 09-18-16, 10:03 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
I commuted with pinned platforms for many years for the conventional reasons. When my office moved further away and I increased my cycle commuting up to 4 days/week+, I started to experience severe cramping of my leg muscles during evenings and early mornings. I switched to clipless on the advice of a cycling friend, and the cramps disappeared in short order. Coincidence?

Last edited by Archwhorides; 09-18-16 at 10:08 PM.
Old 09-19-16, 08:57 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Clipless is completely unnecessary for commuters and utility riders who stop frequently during their commutes and run a lot of errands, do shopping and do other activities which involve getting off the bike and walking.

I ride clipless on all of my bikes, mostly because I've already invested in the various shoes, pedals, neoprene booties with cleat cut-outs, etc. But I agree with what @wolfchild says ^. If I were recommending a starting point for a newly commuting acquaintance, it would be simple platform sans pins.
Old 09-19-16, 09:14 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7350 Post(s)
Liked 2,475 Times in 1,438 Posts
Originally Posted by gregjones
With no thought of agreement with either side of any safety or efficiency issues.....

I just got back from my first ride on the 324s that I got yesterday. This makes the sixth model of SPD pedals from 2 manufacturers that I have used. They are BY FAR the easiest "clipping" of the pedals that I have used. I took the wrench with me to adjust them and stopped within the first half mile to increase the tension.
I've been using SPD for many years, and I finally got a pair of these pedals. I agree. I never should have waited.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-19-16, 09:59 AM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I've been using SPD for many years, and I finally got a pair of these pedals. I agree. I never should have waited.

LOL, I tried the Shimano M-324 for a few days and didn't feel the love, happier with two-sided Ritchey SPD mountain-biking pedals. Just goes to show, there is no accounting for taste in pedal selection!
Old 09-19-16, 10:02 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Myth, SPD shoes allow one to walk normally.
Maybe on smooth hard surfaces or carpet, but on anything else it becomes immediately apparent they are not normal shoes, so while they are light years ahead of road shoes for walking, there are still limitations, and they're not equitable to normal foot wear. Another myth busted.
I don't see any cycling shoes as usable off the bike in any meaningful way, the rigid sole is a killer for me, even with the superfeet inserts that I love.
Old 09-19-16, 10:08 AM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg
I don't see any cycling shoes as usable off the bike in any meaningful way, the rigid sole is a killer for me, even with the superfeet inserts that I love.
that greatly depends on the shoe in question. and the person too, i suppose

my recently deceased shimano sh-mt22 SPD shoes lasted 8 years of daily riding and walking as my main everyday shoe.

i couldn't eve begin to calculate how many thousands of miles i walked in them.

i personally think that qualifies as "usable off the bike in a meaningful way".

Last edited by Steely Dan; 09-19-16 at 10:13 AM.
Old 09-19-16, 10:36 AM
alathIN

Bikes: Volagi Viaje (rando/gravel/tour), Cannondale Slice 4 (tri/TT), Motobecane Fantom PLUS X9 (plus tires MTB)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I could jog in my Giro Rumble SPD shoes if I wanted to.

This thread isn't so much about myths as it is strawmen.
Chris Froome took an unexpected hill run recently in his clipless cycling shoes, and it turned out OK for him.
Old 09-19-16, 10:52 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
My SPD shoes are fine for walking around the grocery store, which is the only place I use them for walking...well, I did have to walk up and down a 25% dirt hill one time. They work fine for that purpose, and immensely superior to SPD-SL shoes.

I wouldn't walk around work with them on all day long. But for short periods, they're fine.
Old 09-19-16, 11:14 AM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Campus pedals do have the disadvantage that one must sometimes hunt for the correct side depending what one is wearing, but for my needs its a minor inconvenience for the flexibility they allow. I'm pondering on some sort of clip on weight that will keep the correct side of the pedal up for what I'm wearing.
Once the pedal axle loosens up some they'll gain a preferred orientation (usually SPD side up).

And yes, on any hard, uneven surface SPD pedals are going to make some noise. That's the nature of the metal cleat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.