Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Are all GPS cycling computers glitchy?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Are all GPS cycling computers glitchy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-18, 03:21 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I'm hoping to find a good MVNO. There are many and it's a very competitive field. I'm might try Mint SIM next, but I have some doubts -- not about Mint itself, but because they use T-Mobile. They're offering an introductory rate of $15/month when prepaying $45 for three months of unlimited talk/text and 2 GB 4G LTE data per month (not sure about any carryover data).

But first I want to check feedback from existing Mint SIM customers to find out whether they're getting true high speed data or throttled like Simple Mobile using T-Mobile's network. I'm a bit wary of T-Mobile because CEO John Legere is a "character" and you remember how Nick the bartender in It's A Wonderful Life felt about "characters".

Otherwise I'll probably look for an MVNO using AT&T or Verizon. FreedomPop (via AT&T) has full speed data. It's just their proprietary app interface and billing that are weird... well, unusual compared with the rest of the industry.

Old 05-01-18, 03:25 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Incidentally, I rode an errand last night simultaneously comparing Google maps/voice navigation via data connection on my Android phone, with maps.me voice navigation via offline mode on my iPhone 4s. The nearest grocery store is half a mile from my apartment, so I took a meandering 2-3 mile ride around the neighborhood to see how both apps and phones would react.

As I've noticed recently, Google maps voice navigation seems to keep getting better. Every time I'd deliberately take a "wrong" turn, it would quickly reroute to accommodate any changes.

But maps.me mostly kept repeating "Make a U-turn. Make a U-turn." Not very helpful.

To be more thorough I'll need to compare maps.me on my newer Android phones, both online and offline.
Old 05-01-18, 03:43 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7349 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts
For what it's worth, I rarely need the audio and normally mute it. I can glance and see what's next.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-01-18, 04:51 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
For a little closure: I started looking more closely at the ride files I was creating in ridewithgps.com, and noticed that it was inserting far more turn-by-turn instructions than needed: it seemed like it would insert a prompt each time the road curved a bit, and so I would get a lot of "Turn left on Methodist Road" when I was already ON Methodist Road. So, I figured out how to remove individual instructions before loading the file into the Lezyne app.

I also noticed that, before loading the file into the Lezyne app, I was checking the box "Add turn-by-turn instructions." And apparently I don't need to do that, as it adds MORE instructions. This is a separate issue from the first one, but was obviously user-error.

So, I am making these changes and experimenting. Seems to work better so far.

Thanks, all!
Old 05-01-18, 07:32 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,363 Times in 945 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
For a little closure: I started looking more closely at the ride files I was creating in ridewithgps.com, and noticed that it was inserting far more turn-by-turn instructions than needed: it seemed like it would insert a prompt each time the road curved a bit, and so I would get a lot of "Turn left on Methodist Road" when I was already ON Methodist Road. So, I figured out how to remove individual instructions before loading the file into the Lezyne app.
I've used RWGPS heavily. I suspect that much of this is related to something you are doing. If you still have a route with this issue, PM me with a link and I'll look at it.

RWGPS will sometimes add cue items where a straight road happens to change names.

​​​​​​It's possible you are adding too many control points (the white circles).
Old 05-01-18, 09:52 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

I've noticed Google maps voice navigation will also add unnecessary instructions. The most annoying is the "slight right" prompt, which sounds like "slide right" and is often superfluous when it's a single road that meanders around to follow rivers and natural terrain. And the way some of my family and friends drive, they don't need any encouragement to slide one way or another while driving.
Old 05-03-18, 06:34 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by njkayaker
I've used RWGPS heavily. I suspect that much of this is related to something you are doing. If you still have a route with this issue, PM me with a link and I'll look at it.

RWGPS will sometimes add cue items where a straight road happens to change names.

​​​​​​It's possible you are adding too many control points (the white circles).
Thanks for the offer...I might still take you up on it.

I have figured out how to remove errant instructions in ridewithgps...It's a bit of a hassle, but after creating a route, I can see that there are all kinds of extra instructions about turning onto a road that I am already on. So, I delete those before sending the file to the Lezyne Root system. Am still getting some incorrect "Off Course" notifications, though.
Old 05-03-18, 07:21 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,363 Times in 945 Posts
...but after creating a route, I can see that there are all kinds of extra instructions about turning onto a road that I am already on. So, I delete those before sending the file to the Lezyne Root system.
I looked at the RWGPS route he created. The problem is that the OSM mapping data isn't very good in the area he his route is in.

You can verify that the map is reasonable by selecting the satellite view. If the OSM data doesn't correspond well to that, try using the Google map option in RWGPS.

Am still getting some incorrect "Off Course" notifications, though.
You will always get a few of these. These can occur when the location of the road on the map doesn't matches the location of the road in the real world. Keep in mind that it's the centerline of the road the track is following. Riding at the right side already means you are a bit off track.

I treat these as an indication that I need to look at the map.

​​​​

Last edited by njkayaker; 05-03-18 at 03:59 PM.
Old 05-04-18, 06:32 AM
Koyote

Smile

Originally Posted by njkayaker
I looked at the RWGPS route he created. The problem is that the OSM mapping data isn't very good in the area he his route is in.

You can verify that the map is reasonable by selecting the satellite view. If the OSM data doesn't correspond well to that, try using the Google map option in RWGPS.

You will always get a few of these. These can occur when the location of the road on the map doesn't matches the location of the road in the real world. Keep in mind that it's the centerline of the road the track is following. Riding at the right side already means you are a bit off track.

I treat these as an indication that I need to look at the map.

​​​​
Thanks again, njkayaker. I will try the google map option in RWGPS.com. I really appreciate the help!

Geez, modern technology doesn't work perfectly. Who would have thought it?