Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-18, 07:58 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Tried to go out mountain biking today as it's been warm and looking at the hills from my apt they looked dry and clear. Nope. Still too much snow and mud. Found a fwe trails I could ride, but meh. I'll give it a bit more time. The new mtb rides awesome though!
Old 03-07-18, 08:00 PM
Radish_legs

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Radish_legs
Attacked on the group ride today going up a hill. Stayed away for a good bit of time (for me at least) til we hit a red light. One guy bridged up to me and went right by me. I don't know him. But now I do.

Last edited by Radish_legs; 03-08-18 at 05:08 PM.
Old 03-08-18, 08:52 AM
therhodeo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jacksonhandy
Isn't he basically describing decoupling? It seems like he is saying you should decouple. Which is something that I thought you were supposed to watch via the pw:hr metric and keep it under 5% or whatever.
Then I guess I need to ask, should someone with a decent base decouple that much over a 1 hour workout?
Old 03-08-18, 09:41 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
One of those nights where I slept well but feel like I didn't sleep at all. Probably going to do my lunch vo2's and then an easy ride after work (if that).
Old 03-08-18, 10:12 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
snow day here, gotta try out the new snow thrower I was hoping I wouldn't have to open this year. Did 2hrs z2, and power cut off for a few seconds, which made me thankful I primarily use trainerroad on the ipad because I had zwift running on my PC and that shut down. situations like this make me realize I should probably get a dumb trainer back in the fold for the off chance of an extended power outage!
Old 03-08-18, 12:01 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2640 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 1,660 Posts
Fixie commute into work today. Will ride home tomorrow.

Openers tomorrow on the race bike after I configure it, then Tour de Murrieta this weekend. Looks like we could be in for some rain/wet on the crit - I am NOT excited about railing those final two brick lined corners in the crit... If that's the case I'm going to tailgun and live another day.
Old 03-08-18, 12:31 PM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk

Openers tomorrow on the race bike after I configure it, then Tour de Murrieta this weekend. Looks like we could be in for some rain/wet on the crit - I am NOT excited about railing those final two brick lined corners in the crit... If that's the case I'm going to tailgun and live another day.
Oh man that does not sound fun. However, it may be a good day to break away!
Old 03-08-18, 01:31 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

or you could do that
Old 03-08-18, 01:38 PM
furiousferret

Originally Posted by TMonk

Which Category are you racing? 3's?
Old 03-08-18, 01:51 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Yeah. Going to do the 30+ 3/4 in the morning too, just on Saturday. How about yourself?
Old 03-08-18, 02:00 PM
furiousferret

I'd do the same one but I'm leaning against it because of the rain. Going to Rosena Ranch next week for sure.
Old 03-08-18, 05:28 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Feb 17, Feb 28, March 8

did lose a couple, maybe 2, lbs. then I ate cereal and gained it right back with carb-water-weight
Old 03-08-18, 05:50 PM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
Still over 2 minutes faster than my best time. Though to be fair I haven't done that climb since moving down here.
Old 03-08-18, 06:05 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by wktmeow
Still over 2 minutes faster than my best time. Though to be fair I haven't done that climb since moving down here.
the times are still pretty disappointing, tbh. Weight had been slowly trickling down then a couple cereal binges and bang, back to just as fat!

it's amazing though how much easier the effort feels, just for being acclimated again to climbing and being able to edge right up to too-deep.
Old 03-08-18, 06:17 PM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf

did lose a couple, maybe 2, lbs.
isn't a couple "two"?

a pet peeve is when people say "a couple, three" instead of "two or three."

bummer on the weight. i haven't been within 12# of the high end of race weight in more than a year. every time i try to drop a bit of weight i'm back in the same spot (or higher) a couple, three weeks later.
Old 03-08-18, 06:23 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tetonrider
isn't a couple "two"?

yes. in my mind I was thinking "I lost a couple, maybe three, pounds..." or "I lost 2-3 lbs." and somehow conflated both iterations into "I lost a couple, maybe 2..."

on one hand I'm finding out how little "good" vs. "very good" climbing matters when all the climbing races go to the "exceptional" climbers anyway. On the other, it's irritating to know I burn like 500k calories on the bike each year and can't put aside 35k to get back to "very good" climbing.
Old 03-08-18, 06:24 PM
furiousferret

isn't a couple "two"?

bummer on the weight. i haven't been within 12# of the high end of race weight in more than a year. every time i try to drop a bit of weight i'm back in the same spot (or higher) a couple, three weeks later.
My wife freaks out about that too. I've always seen a couple as a random small number =\

the times are still pretty disappointing, tbh. Weight had been slowly trickling down then a couple cereal binges and bang, back to just as fat!

it's amazing though how much easier the effort feels, just for being acclimated again to climbing and being able to edge right up to too-deep.
You'll get there, just lock in and keep the crap out of the house. Those binges are a killer.
Old 03-08-18, 06:29 PM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yes. in my mind I was thinking "I lost a couple, maybe three, pounds..." or "I lost 2-3 lbs." and somehow conflated both iterations into "I lost a couple, maybe 2..."

on one hand I'm finding out how little "good" vs. "very good" climbing matters when all the climbing races go to the "exceptional" climbers anyway. On the other, it's irritating to know I burn like 500k calories on the bike each year and can't put aside 35k to get back to "very good" climbing.
i feel you. the # of calories burned is staggering. i cut back my volume and it is amazing i haven't gained 30 pounds based on reduced calorie burn. hard for the appetite and habits to drop to lower levels.

at the level you are racing you need "exceptional" to win. still, climbs present such cool, objective challenges in their own right.

it's great you are killing it on the numerator; natural to think "what if i had that power ALONG WITH my lowest weight ever?"
Old 03-08-18, 06:49 PM
hubcyclist

Weight had been slowly trickling down then a couple cereal binges and bang, back to just as fat!
i hear you, I could easily go through a family size box of honey nut cheerios in a day, and I'm right now my rides max out at around 1500, but are usually in the low 1000's cal. I've got 3-5lbs to lose, fortunately have come down from 174 to 157-8ish since the beginning of the year
Old 03-08-18, 06:51 PM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
My wife freaks out about that too. I've always seen a couple as a random small number =\

You'll get there, just lock in and keep the crap out of the house. Those binges are a killer.
personally i find this to be a challenge when not living alone -- esp with a kid.

for example, i can be super disciplined, but my wife may bring home something tempting -- and my kid constantly has stuff around that i find very hard to resist.

it all falls on the shoulders of the person putting the food in their mouth, but those things do not make it any easier.

doesn't help that i have a huge sweet tooth and basically love all the carb-rich foods we have around for my kid.
Old 03-08-18, 06:51 PM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcyclist
i hear you, I could easily go through a family size box of honey nut cheerios in a day, and I'm right now my rides max out at around 1500, but are usually in the low 1000's cal. I've got 3-5lbs to lose, fortunately have come down from 174 to 157-8ish since the beginning of the year
used to eat so much cap'n crunch it would make the roof of my mouth sore!
Old 03-08-18, 06:54 PM
hubcyclist

used to eat so much cap'n crunch it would make the roof of my mouth sore!
I actually really love quaker oatmeal squares cereal but those are a calorie bomb, I try to keep it "healthy" with honey nut cheerios and wheaties
Old 03-08-18, 06:56 PM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcyclist
I actually really love quaker oatmeal squares cereal but those are a calorie bomb, I try to keep it "healthy" with honey nut cheerios and wheaties
i love honey nut cheerios. it's so funny that by sticking the name 'honey' in there we all believe there is something -- anything -- healthy about it.

i think regular cheerios might be one of the only cereals that is actually somewhat healthy, but those are terrible!
Old 03-08-18, 07:35 PM
furiousferret

personally i find this to be a challenge when not living alone -- esp with a kid.

for example, i can be super disciplined, but my wife may bring home something tempting -- and my kid constantly has stuff around that i find very hard to resist.

it all falls on the shoulders of the person putting the food in their mouth, but those things do not make it any easier.

doesn't help that i have a huge sweet tooth and basically love all the carb-rich foods we have around for my kid.
I'm fine when I control what is in the house or where to eat, but if there is junk food in the house or I am taken to a steakhouse, its over. Luckily I do most of the shopping, but since my mother in laws death my wife has brought in 'coping food' that doesn't help.
Old 03-08-18, 08:12 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Dirty 30's today. had a few interrruptions for traffic / railroad tracks, but for thmost part got my 30 intervals in over the course of about 35 minutes. One of my favorite workouts to do. Get to see real high NP numbers and it feels good to go hard.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.