Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Touring crankset advice

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Touring crankset advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-20, 07:22 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
Well there you go, all set.
Have you ever done touring? I can't recall if you mentioned.
The troll is an interesting bike, and you'll see that with tire size changes, you'll be able to ride on all kinds of surfaces.
if on trails and what not, this crankset is particularly useful.
what year is it? Is it stock?
they are not light bikes, but as the marketing has always said, it's a bike that can be set up and changed for all kinds of riding. Mine has been in mtb mode with flat bars, tried trekking/ butterfly bars, and then finally dropbars.
even have some Jones h bars if ever do that sort of trip off road.
Old 02-19-20, 07:41 AM
SpacyJa

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR3, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
Well there you go, all set.
Have you ever done touring? I can't recall if you mentioned.
The troll is an interesting bike, and you'll see that with tire size changes, you'll be able to ride on all kinds of surfaces.
if on trails and what not, this crankset is particularly useful.
what year is it? Is it stock?
they are not light bikes, but as the marketing has always said, it's a bike that can be set up and changed for all kinds of riding. Mine has been in mtb mode with flat bars, tried trekking/ butterfly bars, and then finally dropbars.
even have some Jones h bars if ever do that sort of trip off road.
I haven't done any touring yet, so looking forward to it. It's not a stock Troll, just a frameset, 2016 I guess, in Maroon. I'm going to build it with drop bars. So far I've installed a bottom bracket and headset, crankset is the next step.
Old 02-19-20, 07:48 AM
djb

Re the bb and crank install. It was the first time for me with hollow tech, so be sure to read proper installation info and get torque and preset tightness right, crucial to proper bearing life. Get it checked out by a store after, that's way I did when getting wheels checked out. Same with head bearing settings.

what are you thinking shifters? You know you can't use road brifters?
Old 02-19-20, 08:06 AM
SpacyJa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, I think I mentioned this earlier in the thread. I'm going to use bar end shifters from Microshift
Old 02-19-20, 09:09 AM
OverTheTop98 
Oldie but a Newbie

Bikes: Specialized Diverge Pro Carbon, BH Prisima, Bianchi Volpe, (previously Intense Spyder MTB)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Two ring alternatives.

I have one three ring bike and the left hand up shifting requires way too much force and throw for my arthritic hands. I currently use a 11-40 cassette with a medium length rear derailleur and a Wolf Tooth RoadLink™ derailleur hanger extension on two bikes that originally had standard road compact gear setups. This gives me plenty of climbing power and keeps the top end. That should be adequate for all but the heaviest fully loaded touring.
Old 02-19-20, 09:43 AM
djb

Originally Posted by SpacyJa
Yes, I think I mentioned this earlier in the thread. I'm going to use bar end shifters from Microshift
Oops, of course you did. Have fun building.
Old 02-19-20, 12:14 PM
SpacyJa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
Oops, of course you did. Have fun building.
Thanks, I do! Pressing the headset without pro tools was a bit pain in the ass, but it pays off eventually
Old 02-22-20, 12:16 PM
str

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 240 Posts
with a 30/46 crankset and a 11-36 cassette you can go everywhere.
Old 02-22-20, 01:57 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by OverTheTop98
I have one three ring bike and the left hand up shifting requires way too much force and throw for my arthritic hands.....
I do not have arthritis, so perhaps my suggestion is a bad one. But if your bike has a brazed on fitting that can be used for a friction downtube lever, that might allow you to shift with less or no pain? On my rando bike I have a brifter for the rear but a friction downtube shifter for the front where I have a triple. When I built up that bike the friction downtube shifter was intended to be temporary but now four years later, it is looking more and more permanent. Some communities have a bike charity and they often have buckets of old old used parts for sale for not very much.

Old 02-22-20, 02:06 PM
djb

Originally Posted by str
with a 30/46 crankset and a 11-36 cassette you can go everywhere.
unless like me, you are old and carry too much crap, with a 44/32/22 and a 11-34 then I can go anywhere ;-)
Likes For djb:
Old 02-22-20, 05:29 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
A lot will depend on what roads you are touring on. Hills and/or prolonged headwinds can really eat up your gears. My dropbar MTB with 26" x 2.125" knobby tires has a 24 teeth inner chainring and a 34 teeth rear cog for touring on dirt/gravel logging/mining roads and often when I hit an uphill stretch with a loose surface I wish for a slightly lower gear like a 36 teeth or 38 teeth rear cog. My touring setup is 7 cogs in the rear at the moment. I might go to an 8-speed cassette if my old school Deore derailleur will handle it.

A lot also depends on the loads you carry, how fit you are and also how tired you are during the ride. When I tour those logging/mining roads I'm carrying about 40 pounds all up of weight including food and water and possible repair tools since I'm totally self-supported and many miles from civilization.

Cheers
Old 02-25-20, 05:32 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
I think triples are great but ultimately its about having the right gear range. I use a compact triple with just 2 rings. Sort of a super compact double. 20 and 40 with a 12-34 cassette. Very rarely do i use the 20 but when i need it its great.