Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What is Your End Goal?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What is Your End Goal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-20, 12:53 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
very comprehensive CAD work! Those extended chainstay spigots are not featured in the images but should be.

what program(s)?

the builder might wish to nudge the seat binder bolt up a bit.
Thanks! Programs are Rhino 5 for the CAD work, and KeyShot 4 (super old) for the rendering. KeyShot of this era is not nearly as good at rendering things as it's 8 and 9 editions (we use 8/9 at work), but I own both Rhino 5 and KeyShot 4 outright--no bootleg copies here--and had purchased them years ago. I built the entire thing myself, using existing bike frame elements as templates.

There are several changes I'd like to make to the model, which include the seat binder bolt position. You will have to explain what "chainstay spigots" are as I am unable to find any information on them.
Old 11-12-20, 01:20 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7349 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts
I don’t really have a goal. I decided not to acquire any new bikes, and that hasn’t been hard. I picked a bike out of the trash this week because it was free, and it wasn’t a stupid move, because I have wanted a mountain bike. It’s crazy for me not to have one given all the trails and such around me.

I look at these modern bikes and think I’d love to have a gravel bike, but my newly rebuilt Super Course is pretty fantastic.

I might like to have one or two bikes that suit most of my riding purposes, so I toy with the idea of replacing most of my bikes with fewer and more expensive bikes. But I’m not close to doing that now.

I was inspired by a post here several years ago by a member who noticed that he keeps building the same bike for himself. I decided to observe myself in the same way. I seem to like two types: 1. all-purpose, all-weather bikes that are good for commuting, errands, etc and are also fun to ride, and 2. fairly zippy bikes that are fairly light and stripped down. And I have these. My fully equipped Super Course is only about 32 pounds, so I can’t even complain about that.

A modern MTB would be a whole lot nicer than an old one, but they’re expensive.

I might like a nice folding bike or mini velo.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 11-12-20, 01:54 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
My end goal is to have a handful of bikes that I love riding and serve me well for all my interests. Im mostly there.
- handbuilt modern steel road bike built in a frame class that fits perfectly and is fantastic quality.
- vintage schwinn premis road frame with modern 2x11sp drivetrain for indoor zwifting and to randomly ride outside.
- modern steel gravel bike with carbon fork, thru axles, hydraulic disc brakes, etc etc.
- modern steel frame with traditional looks and 3x9 drivetrain for commuting and touring(back when those were done...long ago last year).

I want 2 types of bike-
- hardtail mountain bike. rigid would be fine too, actually. A c&v frame would be great if I came upon one that fits in size, otherwise itll need to be a modern frame since they have better stack and reach measurements. Right now I use my gravel bike on the twisty flat singletrack around me and while its fun, a hardtail or rigid with larger tires and 1x would be really nice.
- a quality road bike built in 1981. dont care if it comes in the form of a frame only or if its a full bike. I have this idea that a bike from my birth year would be neat. Half of me thinks spec'ing it with period correct components would be great and half thinks yet another modern build would make it more appealing for heavy use. quality road frame in my size from 1981 is quite the specific search, and so it continues.
Old 11-12-20, 01:59 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
I suppose my end goal is to obtain, via purchase of an existing frameset or having one built, one bike to be the sole focus of a build and then riding for forever. I have pretty much the whole thing built in my mind (or in CAD) in either road/race form or touring.
My '74 Paramount is my sole ride at present...
What happened to the Landshark Road Shark? That thing was sweet, and I thought it fit your proper bike fit numbers.
You with the goal of a single bike is wild to think about, considering how many you have gone through over the last 5 or so years. Based on your indecision on if itll be road or touring oriented, perhaps the door to owning multiple bikes is still a bit ajar?
Old 11-12-20, 02:33 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
What happened to the Landshark Road Shark? That thing was sweet, and I thought it fit your proper bike fit numbers.
You with the goal of a single bike is wild to think about, considering how many you have gone through over the last 5 or so years. Based on your indecision on if itll be road or touring oriented, perhaps the door to owning multiple bikes is still a bit ajar?
The Land Shark is gone. It was indeed sweet, and was/is the template for my bike numbers. A custom frame allows me to address a few of the hindrances I had with the Land Shark. 1) I'm fine with 23s and 25s for tires, but want easy room for 25s, if not 28s--just sort of some breathing room. The Land Shark was 23mm only in front (suuuuper short axle to crown, brake pads fully up in their slots) and rear (seat tube clearance). 2) Change to vertical dropouts in back so as to be able to mount a tire fully inflated into the frame, and more easily. 3) Paint color of choice. The Land Shark's paint schem is very unique, 1 of 2 (the other is a 'funny bike') that I know of. It was in iffy condition, but still presented alright, and I would have been crucified for changing it, and even I in my mind didn't want to do it unless I needed to, and with the other hang-ups, I thought it better to let it lie and be with someone else.

When in doubt, I default to road/race. It's lighter, more responsive, looks great, faster, and I don't find them uncomfortable. A touring build can have most of that speed and responsiveness, but with fenders and carrying capacity. Perhaps its a subconscious desire for a pickup truck in bike form. Aside from a rainy day and no fenders, I don't lose with a race frame--I'll never get over them, plus, I can put all the pretty Dura-Ace components on them without having to dilute the groupset "purity" with different brakes or whatever.

The red frameset I built in CAD is pretty much a "greatest hits" of bikes I've had. 74° ST angle from the Land Shark and early Waterford Paramounts (as well as road/race Schwinns of the mid-late '80s). 73° HT angle is from those same Paramounts and racing Schwinns, as well as Trek racing bikes. Same goes for the 40mm offset forks to get a trail number at 62mm. That head tube angle also allows me to use a normal quill stem that isn't angled down due to a 73.5-75.0° HT angle like so many tall bikes. This gives me the most classic and modern stem/bar options. BB drop is 75mm, which is taken from my '74 Paramount (ok, that's actually 3" or 76mm..., but you get the idea). 58cm TT and resulting reach matches the Land Shark, and gives me many stem length, bar type, and brake/shift lever options depending on how I outfit it. The 67cm size obviously gets me the height I want, with the ability to run as tall or "slammed" a 'normal' quill stem as I like. The frameset has vertical dropouts and clears 28s with no issue. Seat cluster is taken from some other bikes and just looks soooo good. The spike/peak at the top of it takes inspiration from my former '85 Paramount. Long point lugs are just pretty, and also perhaps an ode to the chromed long point lugs of late-'70s Centurions (and other Japanese bikes).
Old 11-12-20, 03:00 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,601 Times in 1,764 Posts
A little over ten years ago I bought an old racing bike for twenty euros. I'd grown up with bikes, but never owned a proper racing bike, and I thought it'd be fun to have one, and make it into a nice sports bike.

In my search for parts and repair plans for that bike I stumbled across this forum (and a few other ones), became a member, an subsequently learned stuff and met a lot of nice people from all over the world.

Fast forward to today: "a nice sports bike" has evolved into "the ultimate credit card touring bikes" for mrs non-fixie and myself, and doing whatever it takes for us to have a good time at the Retroronde, L 'Eroica and similar events with the many C&V bike-loving friends we have made over the years.

Like others have said before, the journey is a lot of fun, and I am in no hurry whatsoever to reach any goal, as long as I am enjoying myself and can test my new builds like this:

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 11-12-20, 05:45 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by francophile
There's a lot of good souls on here, and that's pretty unusual for the many corners of the internet.
Here, here...
Likes For robertorolfo:
Old 11-12-20, 06:07 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,804 Times in 1,408 Posts
Do more. Buy less.
Old 11-12-20, 06:27 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
I looked at one today, for the wheel set. But they didn't spin freely, so I bought rims instead.

Old 11-12-20, 07:17 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7349 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts
@non-fixie, it's only been ten years for you?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-12-20, 07:19 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
Thanks! Programs are Rhino 5 for the CAD work, and KeyShot 4 (super old) for the rendering. KeyShot of this era is not nearly as good at rendering things as it's 8 and 9 editions (we use 8/9 at work), but I own both Rhino 5 and KeyShot 4 outright--no bootleg copies here--and had purchased them years ago. I built the entire thing myself, using existing bike frame elements as templates.

There are several changes I'd like to make to the model, which include the seat binder bolt position. You will have to explain what "chainstay spigots" are as I am unable to find any information on them.
spigots, sockets- the bottom bracket appears to have extensions at the top and the bottom of the chainstays, the views don't really show them, but would be seen from above, (or below) Bob Jackson did less elegant extensions underneath the down tube and behind the seat tube on the Olympus model.
Old 11-12-20, 08:58 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Originally Posted by repechage
spigots, sockets- the bottom bracket appears to have extensions at the top and the bottom of the chainstays, the views don't really show them, but would be seen from above, (or below) Bob Jackson did less elegant extensions underneath the down tube and behind the seat tube on the Olympus model.
I see what you're getting at. Yeah, it's all there, elongated points and smooth transition to the BB shell.
Old 11-12-20, 11:09 PM
Markeologist

Bikes: Since new: 86 Rodriguez Tandem, wife's 87 Gitane Team Pro, 92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, 85 Fisher Comp, 88 Puch Pro, two 92 Bridgestone X0-1s; later: 66/67 Gitane Champion du Monde, 70 Gitane Super Corsa, 70 Carre, 87 Gitane Team Pro, 77/78 Ritchey Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 366 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
No real long term plans. For the short-term, I have a bike's worth of '80s Campagnolo for which I'm hunting a nice 56/57 frameset. Parting-out is no fun. Still on the long-term lookout for a 531SL, maybe a Mondia Super. In the next few years, I'd like to thin down to three-four bikes. I'm currently at six.
I just parted out a Mondia Special...if you are looking for a clean frame let me know...I might even let it go with the Campy NR headset and bottom bracket!!!

Last edited by Markeologist; 11-13-20 at 12:09 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-13-20, 04:15 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Originally Posted by noglider
@non-fixie, it's only been ten years for you?
Yes, I was actually a normal citizen for most of my life.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 11-13-20, 12:42 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
I decided not to acquire any new bikes .... I picked a bike out of the trash this week because it was free, and it wasn’t a stupid move, because I have wanted a mountain bike. It’s crazy for me not to have one given all the trails and such around me.
Ditto!

Coming back from an errand, I saw this sitting on the curb 2 blocks from my house, but covered in cobwebs, dust & bird crap, and no shortage of rust on the steel parts (1st pic below after washing the funk off). With some BF love from Mad Honk and Digger Goreman along with a little bits I had around the shop, buying a new bar, grips and noodles, and some time/effort, I was able to get it rolling, up-and-going for under $125 (2nd pic).

I'd really love to replace the 7spd drivetrain and heavy beast of a crank with something lighter, and throw some knobby tires on it, but I've already taken it on a few rides after repacking everything and it's weird riding upright, but overall fun and good, and a perfect fit with the "XL" frame which didn't expect at all! Can't seem to find a good place to get used knobby tires. Can't see spending $70+ on a pair for this specific bike.

Not vintage, but it works and was "free", and something I haven't ridden yet.

Likes For francophile:
Old 11-13-20, 12:59 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

(...) I toy with the idea of replacing most of my bikes with fewer and more expensive bikes. But I’m not close to doing that now. (...)
On another forum someone saw some of my builds and commented "why don't you just buy a new bike and be done with it?" He and I are clearly not on the same page.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 11-13-20, 01:48 PM
LittleGinseng 
lurking nightrider

Bikes: '84 Lotus Supreme, '85 Club Fuji, '86 Schwinn Peloton, '87 DS Ironman Expert, '87 Maruishi Professional, '88 Takara

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
I don't have room for any more bikes.

15 years ago I lived in a 2 bedroom apartment and the count was three complete bikes. Now I live in a 4 bedroom house and the count is almost nine. Finite space is the deciding factor.

I still pursue pre-90's lightly used and NOS components on the Bay. I can just store them in a shoe box and no one's the wiser.
"If there hadn't been women we'd still be squatting in a cave eating raw meat, because we made civilization in order to impress our girl friends. And they tolerated it and let us go ahead and play with our toys." Orson Welles
Likes For LittleGinseng:
Old 11-13-20, 02:31 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Originally Posted by LittleGinseng
I don't have room for any more bikes.

15 years ago I lived in a 2 bedroom apartment and the count was three complete bikes. Now I live in a 4 bedroom house and the count is almost nine. Finite space is the deciding factor.

I still pursue pre-90's lightly used and NOS components on the Bay. I can just store them in a shoe box and no one's the wiser.
Same here. I just spent the afternoon removing pedals from bikes, so I can pack them a bit closer and make some room. Not as effective as I hoped ...

Old 11-13-20, 03:43 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
3 pointer at the buzzer for the win, like Jimmy Chitwood.

Oh, you mean the bike hobby. No real goals. Whatever I'm feeling at the moment.
Likes For seypat:
Old 11-13-20, 03:49 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,387 Times in 3,672 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie
Same here. I just spent the afternoon removing pedals from bikes, so I can pack them a bit closer and make some room. Not as effective as I hoped ...
Loosen the stem and turn the bars 90 degrees, retighten lightly, carefully.
Old 11-13-20, 03:52 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

On another forum someone saw some of my builds and commented "why don't you just buy a new bike and be done with it?" He and I are clearly not on the same page.
Bike bias, not even in the same book.
Likes For merziac:
Old 11-13-20, 03:57 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
mostly i have let serendipity and karma work rather than goals

I had 2 bikes for ages a nishiki and a miyata 1400 I bought new

then a friend dropped a torpado super strada on my porch, took a lot work to get on the road and i did several versions of build, learned more about ofmega cranksets than i need to know and did my first tubulars

then the miyata died of a frame crack and I got a de rosa from a forum member. bit large for me but great grail bike

then a neighbor gave me an 84 team miyata....i pulled some newer stuff off of it and put it into eroica ready state with tubies what a fantastic ride even on the smaller range

that put a bug into me to look for a 58 cm team miyata to put modern components on

the torpado went,,still miss it and would grab a super light in 56,57,58 if I find one

a forum member found and facilitated a 85 team miyata frame.......pulled the 105 5800 group from the de rosa, which then went to a forum member

so it has all been karma and help/buying/selling from forum members including gomango Bianchigirll randyjawa RobbieTunes rccardr SJX426 malcala622 and many others

my only end goal if there is one is to eventually add a custom, probably a kirk. I am set a number of goals before I put a order in and am down to 2 left (unless my company getting acquired throws a monkey wrench into current plan)

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 11-13-20, 04:08 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2440 Post(s)
Liked 3,130 Times in 1,969 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
Doomsday... errrr... retirement prepping. I enjoy the mechanical aspect of the hobby and the riding, but need to get back to doing more riding and less wrenching. I expect to have other creative hobbies when I ultimately step away from working.

From your words to my brain. Exactly what I would say...in all aspects.

and I agree with BFisher that there are worse hobbies/habits...one I desperately need to divest myself of.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 11-13-20, 04:20 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Originally Posted by merziac
Loosen the stem and turn the bars 90 degrees, retighten lightly, carefully.
Already did that last time 'round. I'm afraid I'm really running out of space.

Old 11-13-20, 04:23 PM
merziac

Already did that last time 'round. I'm afraid I'm really running out of space.
I hate it when that happens.
Likes For merziac:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.