Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Wheel rim size...700 vs. 27

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Wheel rim size...700 vs. 27

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-14, 12:08 AM
RandomTroll
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
I've never seen a 25mm tire on a bike on the floor at Walmart. They only sell bikes with tires that thin online. They also sell bike tires that thin online. I reckon they figure if you bought the bike online, you can buy the tires online.
I've never looked at bicycles Walmart sells on-line. I buy tubes and cables (they sell a repair kit that has brake and derailleur cables cheaper than I can buy the wires elsewhere; I buy them for the wires.), the jumbo Slime patch kit (in Auto), cleaners, lube.... Disappointed they had only a 38 in 700c tires I was attracted to the bicycles with large '700c' tags hanging on their wheels, wheels that looked like they had tires much skinnier than 38. Some had 25s.

A rim that can accommodate a 25 as the smallest tire can accommodate a 38, so maybe one could use them, but I don't think the rider who wants a 25 will be happy with a 38.
Old 09-18-14, 08:35 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by RandomTroll
If Walmart sells bicycles for which they don't sell replacement tires do they expect the buyers to stop riding them before they need a spare?
Based on their statistics, that's probably a very safe assumption. I recall reading the president of Huffy saying the average lifetime mileage of their bikes was about 75.
Old 09-18-14, 09:47 AM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
And I suspect we've all known people who are inclined to throw away the whole bike when they get a flat tire.
Old 09-18-14, 09:50 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
sadly
i would bet even half of bike shop bikes often see less than 100 miles use
over their life time

i have had mare than one person say to me
when i worked in a shop
i got my bike about five years ago and ive never really ridden it so i guess its time for a new one
Old 09-27-14, 07:33 PM
RandomTroll
Banned.

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
I've never seen a 25mm tire on a bike on the floor at Walmart. They only sell bikes with tires that thin online.
I picked up a tube at Walmart this afternoon. I remembered to check out the bicycles on sale. They had a Men's Schwinn Varsity 1200 with 700x25c (sic) tires. It was on the upper tier, hanging, not literally on the floor, in case this is what you meant.

Schwinn Varsity! there's a blast from the past. Would anyone buy a bicycle because it is a Schwinn Varsity these days?
Old 09-27-14, 07:46 PM
elcraft
elcraft

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by garage sale GT
New 700c rims with 36 holes are definitely out there.

Ebay might have rims or wheelsets which would complement an older bike.

I have a 1988 Schwinn which can take a 27" wheel but there is no room for any but a 1" tire and I am not even sure about that. I did not do a conversion but just trial fit a wheel I had.

You could respace your frame for a more modern wheelset or maybe the wheelset could be respaced if the spacers and locknuts will allow it.
My LBS was able to get a cheap clincher wheel; Low flange hubs, alloy rims and 36 straight guage spokes complete with QR skewer for less than $50!! Just make sure that you get the wheel retensioned and trued. I had to get a quick replacement wheel for my son a few days before he went to Scout Camp and the LBS came through!
Old 09-28-14, 08:36 AM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by jimc101

You do know that the tire width has nothing to do with the diameter? with 1800+ post, would hope you have some idea of what fits..
But it's not true. Bike tires are basically round in cross section, so a wider tire will have a larger diameter.
Old 09-28-14, 09:34 AM
jimc101

Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Grand Bois
But it's not true. Bike tires are basically round in cross section, so a wider tire will have a larger diameter.
read the OP's question, it was about tire width and rims, you've relating it to tires only, so what your'e saying is correct, but not in relation to the original question, my quote above makes no sense without context which was the relationship between tire with and diameter, referring to the 27" / 700c as I mentioned in the missing line of my quote, anyway, the original topic got way of course relating to Whale blubber and 2012 Ford Focus issues, bit like this reply...
Old 09-28-14, 10:14 AM
LastKraftWagen

Bikes: Burley Duet [of some unknown year] (the guinea pig); 2001 Ventana ECDM (the project); And always one less than I think I really need.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RandomTroll
Thanks. I just buy parts at Walmart. I'd give their 700c tire a try if it would fit my rim, but it's too big. While looking I noticed that some of the bicycles advertise having 700c wheels, so I looked more closely and saw that some of them have 700c x 25 tires, but they sell only a 38 in a 700c tire. A rim that can take a 32 can probably take a 38.

If Walmart sells bicycles for which they don't sell replacement tires do they expect the buyers to stop riding them before they need a spare?

Don't know if I would expect, or be distressed, if my Wal-Mart bike didn't outlast the tires.

And, our Wally-World does carry more than 700s than just 38, but nothing I would ride any longer than it would take to get a real tire.
Old 09-28-14, 11:05 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2487 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
If the OP is talking about rebuilding wheels and installing wider tires on his Grandis so that he can use the bike for "gravel grinding," to use his term, he might be better off finding a cheap used mountain bike instead. Every Grandis I've ever seen was a professional-level Italian bike. If the bike is in good shape, it would make sense to keep it that way.