Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What’s your top end sprint speed?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What’s your top end sprint speed?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-19, 06:46 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
2018 Stage 4 TDF. 1.3% uphill finish with a headwind. Not quite flat.
Thank you. Didn't know that.
Old 08-28-19, 08:30 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 633 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
Justin's the one who won our local crit a couple years ago with erratic speeds. He did complete the final lap with an average speed of 60kph including some tight corners. https://www.strava.com/activities/1076316079/overview

Final lap of crit

Final lap of crit
Those power numbers are insane. Yet, in the TDF, he'd probably be relegated to being a mere lead-out man, if that.
Old 08-28-19, 10:04 AM
devianb

Bikes: 2008 Dawes Haymaker 20XX Leader LD515 TotoCycling Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts
On my single speed 46x16 I am mechanically limited to 26mph with or without wind.
On my mtb 15 no wind 18-20 with wind.
Old 08-28-19, 10:31 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by em_525
It's just as easy to get on the internet and "call someone out" simply because they either want to troll, are misinformed, can't do it them self, or have never seen it done.
You realize one of the guys replying to you races track and has a pretty elite kid racing track also, right?

It's not some kind of internet harassment to ask for proof, that's life.

Again, give good proof that even a 40mph sprint is as "common" as you make it out to be. A link to the local hammer ride would suffice, we could look at the "flybys" to find the other activities and get a sample of what everyone was doing that day.

Everyone has local hammer rides with a mix of A-clubbies up to maybe a few Cat 3's and a single Cat 1 or 2 rider. The local pro gathering doesn't count, the claim was made that 40 is pretty "normal".

Here's a downhill leadout with some very very capable folks, and a national champ. Netting 42mph. You can tell it's a bit downhill as when the one guy pulls off you can see him softpedal it not losing much.

What average clubbies and pack fodder racers are going to go 40 on the norm?

Old 08-28-19, 10:39 AM
em_525

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
To this point, this thread has been an interesting intersection of plausibility vs. probability. Most of the numbers have been plausible, but I'm not so sure they're probable. Just a smidge of downhill, a bit of favorable wind, or a bus going by at just the right moment and you can toss those power numbers right out the window.

A local ~0.97 mile straight segment has the KOM at 38.8mph, and 2nd place is 35.1mph. The KOM-holder readily admits he got "uncomfortably close" to the back bumper of a logistics truck to make that number. Second place had a tailwind. Oh, the segment is about a .7 percent downgrade. So 37 or 38 for a second, plausible and probable. For any amount of time longer than a moment? Ehhhhh....
I never personally claimed anything other than that. I didn't state I held 37-38 or 42 with a tailwind; I said I hit those numbers.
Old 08-28-19, 10:49 AM
em_525

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
You realize one of the guys replying to you races track and has a pretty elite kid racing track also, right?

It's not some kind of internet harassment to ask for proof, that's life.

Again, give good proof that even a 40mph sprint is as "common" as you make it out to be. A link to the local hammer ride would suffice, we could look at the "flybys" to find the other activities and get a sample of what everyone was doing that day.

Everyone has local hammer rides with a mix of A-clubbies up to maybe a few Cat 3's and a single Cat 1 or 2 rider. The local pro gathering doesn't count, the claim was made that 40 is pretty "normal".

Here's a downhill leadout with some very very capable folks, and a national champ. Netting 42mph. You can tell it's a bit downhill as when the one guy pulls off you can see him softpedal it not losing much.

What average clubbies and pack fodder racers are going to go 40 on the norm?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuOrGu_OVsg&t=215s
As I said previously, I don't know you or any of those people. This is a forum to discuss topics. I posted my experiences. I don't need to prove anything to you or anyone else. You or anyone else asking for proof is a bit absurd.

Nothing I stated is outlandish. I claimed 42 with a slight tailwind. I have no idea what the actual tailwind was that day but I made sure to mention it.

As far as 37-38 on a regular basis when I've tried, I still don't consider that at all abnormal. When I've done that, I'm not racing; I'm not pushing the edge for hours at a time. No, I'm riding alone.

The above video or what was posted by the other poster are races where people are cycling on the edge and are spent.

When I'm talking about myself or the people I personally know of, I never said I do that daily or even they do; I said they and I can regularly, as in if I or they choose to, we regularly can.

The point of any forum is to exchange ideas and have conversations, not challenge whether someone is being truthful or not and be a smart***.

I have nothing further to say on this because it takes far too much time to continually respond and assert something that's simply not that incredible.

Good day
Old 08-28-19, 11:00 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
If our discussion in the forums isn't based on truth, then it isn't very genuine or helpful.

People with good subject matter knowledge have asked for clarification, and you refuse. So all we can assume is that the information isn't worthy of being included in our discussion.

You can be angry about that if you like, your prerogative. But having members of the forum with relevant experience question information presented is actually helpful and beneficial to the community.

It's not beneficial to the community to make claims, but refuse to use any kind of logic, reason, or data points to back it up to ensure that the information is helpful to the community.

It's not helpful to the community post anecdotes claiming them as truth, but you can't ensure that it is.

The community is actually being more helpful by "policing" your post than letting possible misinformation win out.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 08-28-19, 12:01 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2326 Post(s)
Liked 5,013 Times in 1,784 Posts
As usual, it's getting testy around here, LOL!

So, I've been digging though my Strava records. I do see that the shortest sprint I do regularly and have my 37 mph on is showa a -1 grade over the 2/10ths of a mile. Drops 13 ft. So I guess that helps some. It is a curve and I do know there was a tad of headwind for the first of that area.

Several of the 36 mph times are actually uphills. So there again, know that I never attempt these with a noticable tailwind I'm still thinking a good cyclist CAN hit 40 on their own. Or is that extra 4 mph that hard to reach? I mean maybe it is but it sure doesn't seem like it should be.

I do know that eveytime I hit a high speed I've felt afterwards that it had to be "perfect" conditions. Meaning no wind, getting up to at least 27 mph before, and then standing and getting that explosive effort which means being in the right gear. Many a time (like yesterday's first attempt) I know after a couple of pedal strokes if it's going to happen on not.

I'm actually over my various routes looking for a safe, truly flat area, to start making attempts at. Normally I "conserve" a bit to hold speed throughout a set distance. But if all we are doing is absolute top end that gives me leeway in my mind. So let's quite bickering and turn this into a positive thread and see who all can get (if anyone) to 40 on the flat, unaidded, with no tailwind.

Heck, with what I've dont this year I'll be happy to see 34 mph...
Old 08-28-19, 12:43 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I'll be the first one to volunteer that I absolutely cannot. Under the constraints of no wind, flat ground, no outside assistance/draft, I physically cannot produce enough power to accelerate myself and a bicycle to 40mph. Ain't happening now, ain't never happenin'. As I mentioned above, it would take a thousand watts if I had a decent tailwind. I take solace in the fact that I can do unassisted solo 24-25mph for extended periods-- over an hour. It takes away some of the sting, at least.
Old 08-28-19, 01:27 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

I'll be the first one to volunteer that I absolutely cannot. Under the constraints of no wind, flat ground, no outside assistance/draft, I physically cannot produce enough power to accelerate myself and a bicycle to 40mph. Ain't happening now, ain't never happenin'. As I mentioned above, it would take a thousand watts if I had a decent tailwind. I take solace in the fact that I can do unassisted solo 24-25mph for extended periods-- over an hour. It takes away some of the sting, at least.

See, and that's what I can't do for sure.

I think my PR for my 20 mile route is just barely over 21 mph and I know for the 25 mile base route it's like 20.5 mph. I just don't have the endurance to run your speeds for any distance.

Although, living and biking at around 5000 ft I want to do a biking trip down around sea level and see how much faster I am down there the first day or two. Free blood doping!
Old 08-28-19, 03:53 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by em_525
As I said previously, I don't know you or any of those people. This is a forum to discuss topics. I posted my experiences. I don't need to prove anything to you or anyone else. You or anyone else asking for proof is a bit absurd.
You can state anything you like and people are free to believe your comments or discard them.

If you want people to believe you (which I assume you do given the number of replies you've made) you need to establish some credibility. An easy way is to just throw up a Strava page showing your speed. I've looked a reasonable number of local crits and it's not uncommon for the winner to be under 40mph in the 1/2 Cats. That tells me it's not easy or common to be hitting 40mph without some assistance.
Old 08-28-19, 05:55 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
1kw is about right. Here's the Strava segment for the county line sprint on the local Saturday A ride. https://www.strava.com/segments/12983790 It's dead flat and usually has a tailwind during the summer, so nobody is accelerating to 40mph on his own, but everyone on this list is a local shmoe. The KOM is a 45+ Cat 3.
Old 08-28-19, 10:50 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
If our discussion in the forums isn't based on truth, then it isn't very genuine or helpful.

People with good subject matter knowledge have asked for clarification, and you refuse. So all we can assume is that the information isn't worthy of being included in our discussion.

You can be angry about that if you like, your prerogative. But having members of the forum with relevant experience question information presented is actually helpful and beneficial to the community.

It's not beneficial to the community to make claims, but refuse to use any kind of logic, reason, or data points to back it up to ensure that the information is helpful to the community.

It's not helpful to the community post anecdotes claiming them as truth, but you can't ensure that it is.

The community is actually being more helpful by "policing" your post than letting possible misinformation win out.

Preach on bro. Like I said, hitting 40 out on the open road unassisted requires a special talent to do it. But hey on the net anyone can do it lol.

On a related note, so far in this thread, everyone is focusing on top speed. But we all know that top speed, while important, is only half the equation. The other half is acceleration. Small guys such as Cavendish (w/ ~1400w peak power) , while don't have the all out top speed of the bigger guys, have extreme fast accleration. That means that smaller guys, behind a fast leadout train (and Cav had the best in the business with HTC) can acclerate REALLY fast to their top speed and hold that speed for longer period. Bigger guys may have a faster top speed, but it'll take them longer to get to top speed and by then the sprint is over. Cavendish accleration out of the his leadout was simply amazing and a science. His speed didn't come form his measly (by sprinters standards) 1400w peak power alone.
Old 08-29-19, 07:26 AM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by aclinjury
Preach on bro. Like I said, hitting 40 out on the open road unassisted requires a special talent to do it. But hey on the net anyone can do it lol.

On a related note, so far in this thread, everyone is focusing on top speed. But we all know that top speed, while important, is only half the equation. The other half is acceleration. Small guys such as Cavendish (w/ ~1400w peak power) , while don't have the all out top speed of the bigger guys, have extreme fast accleration. That means that smaller guys, behind a fast leadout train (and Cav had the best in the business with HTC) can acclerate REALLY fast to their top speed and hold that speed for longer period. Bigger guys may have a faster top speed, but it'll take them longer to get to top speed and by then the sprint is over. Cavendish accleration out of the his leadout was simply amazing and a science. His speed didn't come form his measly (by sprinters standards) 1400w peak power alone.

and I'll keep trying until the day I can't turn those pedals anymore. Never let anyone tell you you can't do something, live life!
Old 12-02-19, 08:45 PM
Lowerkeys

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Personal best yesterday at 32.5 mph. It amazes me that someone can do 40+
Old 12-02-19, 09:38 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Let's see... 65 gear inches, maybe 100 cadence, probably about 19 mph?
Old 12-03-19, 07:29 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Y'all have me curious now. I may have to give this a shot next time out. I am 56 with bad knees and haven't been riding much. I'll bet I can get 33. Flat goes without saying here. Neutral wind may be hard to find.
Old 12-03-19, 10:16 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 248 Posts
Current world record for flying 200 meters is 9.1 seconds. Nicholas Paul of Trinidad, September 4, 2019 at Cochabamba track. That works out to over 49mph. That is also the average speed for the full 200 meters, not a momentary peak speed.

Lots of riders can best 40mph and they could do that 40 years ago when there was aero nothing.

Considerable confusion on this thread as to what a sprint is. A sprint is a short anaerobic effort. It is not slowly muscling up to speed. It is a sudden release of energy. It is normally a one-shot jump. After the jump maybe the sprinter can maintain and maybe not. Even at 200 meters it is just one jump. Antonio Maspes was said to be able to double, that is to sprint a second time while already in full flight. Earned him seven world champs. Normally only animals double, humans don't. Race fans say Maspes did it, physiologists say he didn't.
Old 12-03-19, 11:17 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
I take solace in the fact that I can do unassisted solo 24-25mph for extended periods-- over an hour. It takes away some of the sting, at least.
That is flipping impressive.