Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The price of C&V membership

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The price of C&V membership

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-22, 10:08 AM
RandolphCarter
PeopleCode delaminator

Bikes: 1986 Trek 310 Elance, 1997 Schwinn HydraGlide, 1987 Trek Antelope 800, 2003 Haro F4, 198? Allsop Offroad Climber

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 67 Posts
Price of C&V membership?

Being able to use the phrase "It’s a complete bike but it needs everything" and expecting people will know what you mean.
Likes For RandolphCarter:
Old 03-10-22, 10:59 AM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie
..., the Pletscher rack:

These racks are sooo bad. They always looked good in the stores and were sold everywhere, it's just that they sukd. Note how the frame clamp has slipped down and destroyed the paint. I wonder how many millions of frames were damaged by this crappy mounting method. Note how the rack is now interfering with proper operation of the rear brake. They also weigh a ton because of the steel, spring loaded clamp. That clamp never held anything tight enough, so you still needed bungee cords, or squished it down thru the rack onto the rear tire where it was damaged.

Jim Blackburn racks came out much later, after a decade of damaged frame paint by Pletscher, but they were such an improvement Blackburn racks were the obvious way to go.

My advice - get rid of the rack; get rid of the spoke protector; consider getting rid of the chainring protector.

Last edited by Bad Lag; 03-10-22 at 11:05 AM.
Old 03-10-22, 12:29 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,611 Times in 1,765 Posts
Originally Posted by Bad Lag
These racks are sooo bad. They always looked good in the stores and were sold everywhere, it's just that they sukd. Note how the frame clamp has slipped down and destroyed the paint. I wonder how many millions of frames were damaged by this crappy mounting method. Note how the rack is now interfering with proper operation of the rear brake. They also weigh a ton because of the steel, spring loaded clamp. That clamp never held anything tight enough, so you still needed bungee cords, or squished it down thru the rack onto the rear tire where it was damaged.

Jim Blackburn racks came out much later, after a decade of damaged frame paint by Pletscher, but they were such an improvement Blackburn racks were the obvious way to go.

My advice - get rid of the rack; get rid of the spoke protector; consider getting rid of the chainring protector.
We are on the same page here. Rack and dork disk have been disposed of long ago. The chainring protector I have kept. Because it a nice aluminum Stronglight item, and it might come in handy if I am ever going to build a city bike I want to be able to ride in a three-piece suit.

Old 03-11-22, 08:26 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie
We are on the same page here. Rack and dork disk have been disposed of long ago. The chainring protector I have kept. Because it a nice aluminum Stronglight item, and it might come in handy if I am ever going to build a city bike I want to be able to ride in a three-piece suit.
Yes, we are on the same page, including your keeping the chainring protector. Many people like them and they are a bit iconic. While I don't care for them and would remove it, I would not throw it away. I would dispose of the spoke protector, as you did.