Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Where Did Your Hybrid Take You Today?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Where Did Your Hybrid Take You Today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-09, 03:49 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
This is the third ride along that route that I've documented in this thread. Each time, I've posted pictures of deer encountered along the way. This is the second time I've posted pictures of deer inside the airport fence. Picture from an earlier post;

I don't know how they get in, but I was expecting to see some there yesterday. As I approached that area, I decided if I saw deer near the fence, I would wait for some riders to get in the frame to show the proximity of the deer to the trail.
Old 11-01-09, 06:08 PM
waynesworld
Papaya King

Bikes: 2009 Felt X City D, 1985 (?) Trek 400, 1995 (?) Specialized Rockhopper, 1995 Trek 850

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Deers jump high.
Likes For waynesworld:
Old 11-01-09, 06:11 PM
waynesworld
Papaya King

Bikes: 2009 Felt X City D, 1985 (?) Trek 400, 1995 (?) Specialized Rockhopper, 1995 Trek 850

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by qmsdc15
Haha, yeah. He's got the complete costume, from the team bike down to the gloves and water bottles! Not sure about the helmet or socks, but I have a feeling that's all authentic team gear.

It was a little rainy, Note the zip lock bag in his other hand.
Did not notice the bag. Committed. Nice.
Old 11-01-09, 06:55 PM
waynesworld
Papaya King

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Oh, and my Trek hybrid took me to the bar. Three of them actually. All very close by. Great day here. I'm really enjoying riding more lately. Just in time for winter, I guess. Already looking forward to Spring.
Old 11-01-09, 07:50 PM
Fast Cloud

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by waynesworld
Oh, and my Trek hybrid took me to the bar. Three of them actually..
Did you see any gun fights?!?!!! Just kidding.
Old 11-01-09, 09:53 PM
waynesworld
Papaya King

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Fast Cloud
Did you see any gun fights?!?!!! Just kidding.
No gun fights today, though there have been a few gun fights in bars recently in Ohio.
Old 11-01-09, 10:05 PM
Luddite
Mrs. DataJunkie

Bikes: Asama "Luddite" and Kuwahara MTB from the 90s

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hybrid took me nowhere, I went running and consequently had to take a prescription painkiller. Shoulda stuck with the bike!
Old 11-05-09, 05:51 PM
Psy Guy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Le Tour de Widow Maker, Foster Rd, Portland, Or. Short commute to run a couple errands. But dang, I sometimes feel like a wildebeast crossing croc infested waters. No bike lanes, parked cars, new consruction areas, and people driving like they're in labor or just robbed a bank, well about half of them. Cold & drizzlely too.

It's one of those "should I go the fast direct route" or "zig zag through the slow scenic route?"
Old 11-05-09, 07:58 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Very sorry to hear that report of car wars from Portland. The rest of the country looks to you as Bike City USA. Bikers of Portland have a great thing going. Motorists suck everywhere I guess.

I rode my Cannondale H300 from my home in Maryland to Washington, D.C. today.
Lincoln Memorial, Washington Monument, White House, Capitol.

Last edited by qmsdc15; 12-31-09 at 06:25 PM.
Old 11-05-09, 10:03 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
I'm jealous!!!!!
Old 11-05-09, 10:37 PM
Psy Guy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[quote=qmsdc15;9992136]Very sorry to hear that report of car wars from Portland. The rest of the country looks to you as Bike City USA. Bikers of Portland have a great thing going. Motorists suck everywhere I guess.

/QUOTE]

Most of the city is great. There's just some pockets here and there at are not so much so. Your commute looked exciting!
Old 11-06-09, 12:56 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Psy Guy
Le Tour de Widow Maker, Foster Rd, Portland, Or. Short commute to run a couple errands. But dang, I sometimes feel like a wildebeast crossing croc infested waters. No bike lanes, parked cars, new consruction areas, and people driving like they're in labor or just robbed a bank, well about half of them. Cold & drizzlely too.

It's one of those "should I go the fast direct route" or "zig zag through the slow scenic route?"
Now I can say I know exactly what you are talking about as I was there all last week and the word is that only lunatics will ride on Foster (and sandy) which are both overdue for some improvements.

My time was spent pretty close to the core and I went up the east and west sides as well to see things like the handbuilt show, visit friends, and also went zoo-bombing last Sunday night.

My commuting last week was really nice and am sure you will recognize these places... and mebbe you even saw a little green Raleigh Twenty bombing all over the place last week.

That cycle track is great... save for the fact the parked cars have to back into the bike lane to move back into the traffic flow.

I am still working on the few hundred shots I took last week...
Old 11-06-09, 05:59 AM
KShep
Zensunni Wanderer

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wanderer
I'm jealous!!!!!
yeah...me too. Never been to our nations capital...must visit one day.

I pictured DC as a congested, hectic mess. Nice to see a more placid side of the city.

Cool rainbow shot.

Last edited by KShep; 11-06-09 at 06:03 AM.
Old 11-06-09, 05:22 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Well, the National Mall is one of our National Parks, though I don't know if it was featured in the recent Ken Burns series. Not as visually impressive as say, Yosemite, I would guess. Though I've never been to Yosemite, so I can't say for sure.

Too bad the focus wasn't better in the picture that has the Washington Monument in it. In addition to the geese, there were a bunch of Mallards and some cormorants there, but not it this view.

I never know what I'll see on any given day. Native Americans building tipis, Buddhist monks site-seeing... I once saw the Dalai Lama walking down I street. I've met Lance Amstrong by happenstance when he was here campaigning for cancer research. I was in the hall of the Dirksen Senate Office Building when I overheard a certain freshman senator from Illinois confessing to his companions that he didn't know where the room they were looking for was. So green, he didn't even know to ask the bike messenger for directions. Not a crowded hallway, just me, the future President of the United States and two guys in suits I didn't recognize.

PS. Yes it can be a congested, hectic mess. Bad grid lock the last couple days. 17th near the Whitehouse was closed today for a while with at least a dozen emergency vehicles on the scene. A suspicious package, vehicle, who knows what shut it down, but incidents like that are regular occurrences and the impact on traffic lasts for hours. Traffic is heavy under the best circumstances, so when a motorcade goes through, it's as you say, a mess. Solution; ride a bike, cut through it like a hot knife through butter.

Last edited by qmsdc15; 11-06-09 at 05:35 PM.
Old 11-07-09, 01:51 PM
waynesworld
Papaya King

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Today my Felt X City took me to Kroger for beer. I really love that grocery pannier.

I was starting to wonder why I had the Felt, after buying the used Trek, but now it is clear. Boy the Felt is smooth. And stable with the 37s on it. I also really like the single front chainring for this flat town. I may eventually get a set of bars for the Trek that are like the Felt Alberts. Very comfortable.

I have to start remembering my camera. I won't have any pics of the nation's Capitol, but I could at least post something.
Old 11-08-09, 05:45 PM
waynesworld
Papaya King

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Today the Trek took me to brunch. Western omelet, potatoes, wheat toast.

It also took me around the block a few times while I was adjusting the rear brake, and to the trash can in the alley with litter box scoopings. Then I went back to the trash with a full tall sized bag hanging on the left handlebar. Don't ever do that. I very nearly crashed at the end of the driveway. Who knew something like that would unbalance a cyclist

Still no pics
Old 11-09-09, 12:07 AM
dawes56

Bikes: dawes, schwinn, kona

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How could I not ride on a sunny, 72 degree day in November. No pics cuz my wife took the camera with her to visit her mother... so I have NO ADULT SUPERVISION for an entire week! However, six cats will keep me busy at home most of the time.

While the cats were sleeping this afternoon, got out for 10 miles on the local MUT. Lots of oak leaves on the path.. glad they were dry, and I love the smell of them. Tomorrow's forcast looks identical, so I hope to get in around 20 miles on my Kona.

There is a list of things I am supposed to do while she is gone... guess Friday night will be a busy one so that everything is done before she gets back on Saturday.

Pete
Old 11-09-09, 07:13 AM
waynesworld
Papaya King

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dawes56
How could I not ride on a sunny, 72 degree day in November. No pics cuz my wife took the camera with her to visit her mother... so I have NO ADULT SUPERVISION for an entire week! However, six cats will keep me busy at home most of the time.

While the cats were sleeping this afternoon, got out for 10 miles on the local MUT. Lots of oak leaves on the path.. glad they were dry, and I love the smell of them. Tomorrow's forcast looks identical, so I hope to get in around 20 miles on my Kona.

There is a list of things I am supposed to do while she is gone... guess Friday night will be a busy one so that everything is done before she gets back on Saturday.

Pete
Six Cats?! Holy cow. I have two, thought about maybe getting one more, but six? I'm not even sure I could afford six cats.
Old 11-09-09, 09:10 AM
cc_rider
Calamari to go

Bikes: Trek 750

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Beautiful weather near DC. Headed west Vienna on the W&OD to Clark's Gap. Not quite enough time to get to Purcelville and back before dark.
Leaf viewing was a bust, the good ones left last weekend. On Thomas Mill, near Leesburg, I went up the mountain and back down. 56 miles for the day.
May post some pictures after I sort through them.
Old 11-09-09, 11:02 AM
dawes56

Bikes: dawes, schwinn, kona

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by waynesworld
Six Cats?! Holy cow. I have two, thought about maybe getting one more, but six? I'm not even sure I could afford six cats.
LOL, that's why I have an inexpensive bike. The newest one, rescued as a kitten from a construction site at the Supreme Court (weighed 13 oz then) gets neutered on Wednesday. He weighs 6 lbs now!

Another beautiful day here...as soon as the last cat returns for lunch and a nap I will be off on the bike.

Pete
Old 11-10-09, 04:16 PM
bjjoondo 

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
Feel'in Frisky

I went out for my normal "exersize"/recreation ride, using MUPS and back streets and for some reason I really went after it! I normally don't bother pacing with other riders or trying to chase them down but today, twice I caught myself, dropping into higher gears and trying to catch riders infront of me This is a strange deal for me, I don't even use a bicycle computer anymore since my last one went bezerk back in May so I'm usually a very, very mellow (read: SLOW) bicyclist.

It was a chilly 40 degrees but mostly sunny and the MTB turned hybrid just seemed to fly under my feet, LOL, don't think I'll be doing this kinda thing too often but I'll admit it was FUN!

Old 11-10-09, 06:10 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
bjjoondo, way to get after it! Just remember to be very safe, slowing down a lot and well in advance in the vicinity of loose pets and leashed children. Slowing down and speeding back up is a better workout anyway. Going fast is fun though! Enjoy the ride!

ccrider, because you said you were gonna (in another thread), I went for a leaf peeping ride Saturday, and like you, did not see much in the way of spectacular fall color. Actually. I only went a few miles out of my way, up Northwest Branch Trail to Cool Spring Road, then looping back on Adelphi. Cool Spring is a pretty, twisty, fun though short road with a steep climb up to University and Adelphi. You should piece it into your ride next time you venture out this way. There is a section of bike trail connecting Cool Spring to the NW Branch trail. Probably a better way to access vs. Riggs Road.

I went in to work a different way today and saw some nice leaves. I think the colorful tree species are more likely to be selected by homeowners and landscapers than by nature. Haha. I must have found one of the prettiest alleys in NE DC this morning. Behind the chain link fence (which I masterfully managed to focus on instead of the trees) is the grounds of the monastery tulip mentioned in one of her posts.

Last edited by qmsdc15; 06-25-11 at 08:47 PM.
Old 11-11-09, 06:55 PM
waynesworld
Papaya King

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I rode to Stauf's coffee house in Grandview, only about a mile from my house, this evening. It was my first trip on the Felt at night, using my new Magicshine headlight and Planet Bike Superflash tallight. The superflash is great, but the magicshine is, well, wow. Just wow. It might be as bright as my car headlights.

Anyway, I made it there and back safely, and it was great fun. A very nice little ride.
Old 11-12-09, 06:42 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I rode my Cannondale H300 around DC all day in cold rain. The Verizon Center around 5pm.

Last edited by qmsdc15; 11-12-09 at 08:46 PM.
Old 11-15-09, 08:46 AM
javal

Bikes: Monark sportser 1970, Monark sportser 1970ish, Monark folder, Mustand 1985, Monark Tempo 1999, Monark 318 1975, Crescent 319 1979, Crescent 325 c:a 1965, Crescent Starren 2002 (hybrid/sport), Nordstjernan 1960`s cruiser.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Leaving the outskirts of my hometown. Heading for the countryside. Typical greyish weather but surprisingly mild (7+ celsius). 40 km of car-free roads!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
PB151049.jpg (85.0 KB, 59 views)
PB151050.jpg (82.3 KB, 53 views)
PB151051.jpg (76.8 KB, 51 views)
PB151052.jpg (90.5 KB, 66 views)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.