Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-17, 09:48 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
I recorded the Steelers game yesterday to watch at night (since I never, ever have time to actually sit down during the day on a weekend to watch something, I'm not sure who those people are who do) and we had it on in the background while we decorated. Third quarter was about over and I was in and out of the room, so I paused it so I could actually sit down and enjoy the fourth quarter.

Xfinity goes to screensaver, I walk in the room. News thing in the bottom corner: "Patriots pull out miracle comeback against Steelers". ****ing hell Xfinity, YOU KNOW WHAT I'M WATCHING RIGHT NOW YOU ********!

I didn't bother watching it. Maybe if the Steelers had won I would've bothered.
Old 12-18-17, 09:57 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
You should have watched it. The last two minutes were really good.

(Note: I would have liked to have seen both team lose horribly, as I hate both.)
Old 12-18-17, 11:53 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
yeah, that's what upset me more. I went online and everyone is like "that was the best fourth quarter this year".
Old 12-18-17, 12:06 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Took the nephews to see Star Wars last night. During the intro screen with the scrolling text, the guy directly in front of us showed up with a bunch of food and stood there as he passed it out. Without even thinking I blurted out, 'Are you (expletive) kidding me?' He stared at me for a sec but then 3 other people started screaming at him and he finally got the hint. Part of me feels bad for swearing in front of a bunch of kids but had I not said anything that probably would have annoyed me more.

Oh yeah, enjoyed the movie, 8/10.
Old 12-18-17, 12:10 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
I'd change teams if they used hincapie
or canary, or pactimo...
Old 12-18-17, 12:40 PM
topflightpro

Originally Posted by furiousferret
I would rate it as a "Meh."
Old 12-18-17, 12:44 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
i love it when luke skywalker goes nuts and kills everyone

j/k i haven't seen it, I may have to do a late night showing alone since my wife doesn't really care for the movies and it might be a little too intense for my 6 year old. but I have to basically avoid a lot of sites I do like to go to to avoid spoilery headlines
Old 12-18-17, 12:53 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2640 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 1,660 Posts
forgot, i've also done Squadra twice - it's equally 'meh'.

At this rate I prefer to buy multiple sets of the (same) nicer generic black bib shorts that see most of my riding, and one (or two) sets of team bibs for racing and short rides only. Jerseys I buy 2-3/season and also 1 skinsuit.

We get 1 free set of clothing/season and I usually just go for the skinsuit as I have a hard time justifying purchasing one myself.
Old 12-18-17, 01:00 PM
topflightpro

Originally Posted by hubcyclist
i love it when luke skywalker goes nuts and kills everyone

j/k i haven't seen it, I may have to do a late night showing alone since my wife doesn't really care for the movies and it might be a little too intense for my 6 year old. but I have to basically avoid a lot of sites I do like to go to to avoid spoilery headlines
Your six year old will probably be fine. It wasn't that scary, and there are several scenes designed to cater specifically to children of that age, as well as to sell them new products.
Old 12-18-17, 01:04 PM
topflightpro

In other news, I'm testing out a new hearing aid. My first one fit completely in my ear, but it wasn't quite right - it was started to cause severe discomfort and pain, so they sent it back to have it remade.

This new one is an over the ear one, and because it is larger, it has Bluetooth built in, so it is already paired with my phone. The problem is, while I can hear everything around me, including the woman around the corner and three cubicles down, I cannot understand a damn thing from the phone. It's just gibberish.

Also, if you haven't noticed by my posting frequency, things are kind of slow at the office today.
Old 12-18-17, 02:15 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
or canary, or pactimo...
don't know the backstory. But Hincapie was a **** even as junior. And even though he's treated as a conquering hero every time he comes back to NY, I never liked the guy or the sense of entitlement that's always surrounded him. So my clothing money will always go elsewhere.
Old 12-18-17, 03:23 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
LUX went from Hincapie to Castelli.
USAFA went from Pactimo to Castelli.
Castelli Sanremo size M made in USA (Portland I believe).

Seems each size of something is made in a different location. All in all, great stuff.
Old 12-18-17, 03:40 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
My team went to Castelli 4 years ago when Hincapie quality went down the tubes. But I have some 6 or 7 year old Hincapie bibs I really like(d). The material is getting see-through but the pad and leg grippers have always been comfortable. I keep holding on to them to wear under tights.
Old 12-18-17, 03:48 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
Took the nephews to see Star Wars last night. During the intro screen with the scrolling text, the guy directly in front of us showed up with a bunch of food and stood there as he passed it out. Without even thinking I blurted out, 'Are you (expletive) kidding me?' He stared at me for a sec but then 3 other people started screaming at him and he finally got the hint. Part of me feels bad for swearing in front of a bunch of kids but had I not said anything that probably would have annoyed me more.

Ha, that's awesome you said something!

Saw it Friday for work - err, work took us there or whatever, because we're a bunch of man-children who like kid's movies.

The last two "Star Wars" movies have seem so contrived to me, it's all kind of running together. "We have to get to the unit to disable it so XYZ can happen!!!11" They just keep doing that over and over again.

At this point I feel like they should have stopped after the first three (the originals from the 80's) and called it a day.

Maybe I'm just old & grumpy. In fact I am getting old, since I felt like the IMAX place we saw it at seemed way too loud to me. I think that's a sign you're getting old right?

my race videos
Old 12-18-17, 03:56 PM
topflightpro

Originally Posted by mattm
Maybe I'm just old & grumpy. In fact I am getting old, since I felt like the IMAX place we saw it at seemed way too loud to me. I think that's a sign you're getting old right?
Not in my case. In fact, it's the opposite. Going deaf sucks.

But I generally agree with your assessment of the movie. The Force Awakens seemed like a remake of Star Wars. Last Jedi seemed like they pulled a bunch of scenes from Empire and Return of the Jedi, tossed them in a hat, pulled them out in a new order and made a movie from that.
Old 12-18-17, 04:00 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I guess it's not canon anymore, but I think some of the best Star Wars stuff was the Star Wars Rebels animated series.
Old 12-18-17, 05:54 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
Ha, that's awesome you said something!

Saw it Friday for work - err, work took us there or whatever, because we're a bunch of man-children who like kid's movies.

The last two "Star Wars" movies have seem so contrived to me, it's all kind of running together. "We have to get to the unit to disable it so XYZ can happen!!!11" They just keep doing that over and over again.

At this point I feel like they should have stopped after the first three (the originals from the 80's) and called it a day.

I've learned that being old you have to dumb down you're expectations a bit. We've seen at least 3,000 movies and they're all variations of 10 different plots. 95% of the time you can tell you who's going to die, who's going to live, the general plot, just by seeing the trailer. At this point I just expect entertainment, in the past 10 years there's been maybe 5 movies that have impressed me. Star Wars have such strict rules set up on it (kids, merch, etc.) I'm not expecting to be awed.

Spoiler
The movie was a bit mechanical, where everyone had to do something to get somewhere and it wasn't natural. Also seemed a bit copied from the originals (but not as bad as the first one this series). The only legit 'dumb' part was the person in flying in space.

Last edited by furiousferret; 12-18-17 at 05:58 PM.
Old 12-18-17, 07:36 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I guess it's not canon anymore, but I think some of the best Star Wars stuff was the Star Wars Rebels animated series.
Since then, the only previously published material still considered canon are the six original trilogy/prequel trilogy films, the Star Wars: The Clone Wars television series and film, and the stand-alone Dark Horse Comics arc Star Wars: Darth Maul—Son of Dathomir; which was based on unproduced scripts from The Clone Wars TV series.[1] Most material published after April 25—such as the Star Wars Rebels TV series along with all Marvel Star Wars comic books and novels beginning with A New Dawn—is also considered part of the new canon, on account of the creation of the Lucasfilm Story Group, which currently oversees continuity as a whole. Characters under the Legends banner are still available for use as needed, even if events concerning them are no longer canon.

--wookiepedia.

I was a little dissapointed in the movie walking out, but after sleeping on it and listening to an interview with the director on NPR the next morning, my opinion has shifted. Not my favorite star wars movie, but not the worst. Looking forward to seeing it again with my Dad when i fly home for xmas.
Old 12-18-17, 07:37 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer
That's a shame. It's so hard these days to keep things secret with as much tracking as goes on. If you share a computer you have to browse in incognito or something to prevent targeted ads ruining it. If you share an amazon account you have to be super careful with the e-mails and notifications and recommendations.

My wife and I have prime, so this year we finally did the household thing and split it out so I have my "own" account, that still has the prime from the main account, but I get my own e-mails and recommendations and stuff.

Even with that, I know I'm getting something from the NFL shop, and I know I'm getting some socks. The first one I picked up her phone and the notification bar had an e-mail up. The second, my not quite 2 year old tattled on her because she took her shopping and said they were getting socks for daddy. So as soon as I got home "daddy socks, daddy socks, shopping".
Fun story.. I found out that Santa wasn't real when I found the letter my parents had put together as a MS publisher file on their computer. Why I was snooping around in their files, I don't remember..?
Old 12-18-17, 08:41 PM
johnybutts

Bikes: Type of horse.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wylde06
Or not..

I had an interview this morning for a data entry/payment processing job and I have another interview for a financial analyst position at the University this afternoon.

Something needs to happen here soon.
My wife was laid off from a nice O&G job 2.5 years ago. She worked some part time gigs and went back to get a masters degree in that time. Last week she got a offer from her dream company. A miracle in my eyes and an enormous weight lifted off our shoulders.

Good things will come buddy. Work hard, work smart, be strategic, and stay humble.
Old 12-18-17, 11:59 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
“Canon”?

Is this really what Star Wars fans say? Seems a bit much.
Old 12-19-17, 07:41 AM
topflightpro

Originally Posted by Ttoc6
Fun story.. I found out that Santa wasn't real when I found the letter my parents had put together as a MS publisher file on their computer. Why I was snooping around in their files, I don't remember..?
Wait, Santa's NOT real? WTF!
Old 12-19-17, 08:11 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
how about a spoiler alert, jackass

Old 12-19-17, 01:11 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Wait, Santa's NOT real? WTF!
he's real, and my boy will never forget that he's always watching
Old 12-19-17, 02:35 PM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by Ttoc6
I found out he wasn't real when I asked "Santa" for a Dallas Cowboys helmet for Christmas (my old man was Landry, Dorsett, and Staubach fan so that meant I was too, plus it was before the Seahawks came into the league) and I got a Denver Broncos helmet. My mom bought presents and to her, it looked like a Dallas Cowboy helmet because there was a big "D" on the side and a horse. So it was a Dallas Cowboy helmet. I was 5 when I figured out Santa wasn't real because he'd have to know the difference between the two right?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.