Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why only 10mph with a bike trailer?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why only 10mph with a bike trailer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-20, 10:42 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Cannondale built the original two-wheel bike trailer---the "Rear Bugger," as they named it. Some time in the early 1980s, a cyclist took a sharp downhill turn at speed with his infant child in the trailer, with the consequences you'd expect. He sued Cannondale on the grounds that there was no label on the trailer warning him not to do that. He won. Big settlement.

Any reference for that? I'm skeptical, and a lot of these "a guy sued" stories are made up.

The most famous example of the fake law suit is the guy who used his lawn mower to trim hedges. Never actually happened--was a story made up by an insurance industry lobbyist.
Old 03-02-20, 10:59 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by wgscott
As you speed up and approach the speed of light, the mass of the trailer will increase, but you will not notice it in your reference frame. So best to keep it about 10 mph, because 3 X 10^8 m/sec isn't just a good idea. It's the law.

There's that, but the worst part about riding that fast with a child is having to tell him his mom died about 100 years ago while we were riding.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-02-20, 11:19 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,579 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions

The most famous example of the fake law suit is the guy who used his lawn mower to trim hedges.
Razor is much easier.
Old 03-02-20, 04:04 PM
408mopar

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I have bungee corded our beach buggy to my wife's Schwinn Collegiate. She has gone 11 MPH!
Old 03-06-20, 10:13 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
Sometimes I take the dog to the park in the dog trailer. I went around a corner just a little too fast, and Millie (my dog) was leaned over (her tether in the trailer was too long), and BOOM down we go! She was completely unscathed, no harm done, but it was a big surprise and easily could've been painful.

So it's best not to go too fast. The trailer might get away from you - around a bend, down a hill, etc.

Here's a youtube video of the incident.

https://youtu.be/N2z8q93X60Y
I have nothing to add except a picture of another Millie.

Likes For rosefarts:
Old 03-07-20, 07:39 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2486 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Any reference for that? I'm skeptical, and a lot of these "a guy sued" stories are made up.

The most famous example of the fake law suit is the guy who used his lawn mower to trim hedges. Never actually happened--was a story made up by an insurance industry lobbyist.
Sorry, no reference. The Cannondale sales rep told us shop guys the story, back in the late '70s or early '80s. Assuming that he wasn't making it up and that I'm remembering it correctly, finding an account of the suit on line should be possible, but a quick search turned up nothing (or, rather, plenty, but all irrelevant).

I imagine that the story might have come up in response to one of us noting that the Rear Buggers had suddenly begun showing up with warning stickers applied. Who knows?
Old 03-07-20, 10:32 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
It is not an urban legend that Cannondale had mad Photoshop skills before Photoshop:

-mr. bill
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 03-07-20, 04:15 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by mr_bill
It is not an urban legend that Cannondale had mad Photoshop skills before Photoshop:

-mr. bill

Gotta say, I can't imagine who thought Bugger was a good name for any product.