Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Did you ride today?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Did you ride today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-09, 07:33 PM
Allegheny Jet

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Did my first ever TT today in the Tour of the Valley Stage Race in the Youngstown area. I don't have a TT bike but attached a clip on aero bar onto my road bike. It was a short TT of only 5.63 miles. There is a discrepancy on my time. The official race time shows me @ 13:20. My HR monitor shows me at 12:50 and my computer still showed 26+ mph about 1 minute into my cool down . We started every 30 seconds and I passed two riders and finished within 100 yds of the guy who started 1:30 ahead of me. Also the guy who started 30 seconds behind me said that I was over 45 seconds ahead of him at the 1/2 way point and that he couldn't close any, yet the official time shows him beating me by 18 seconds. Oh well it's not life changing it's just a race that really put the hurt on me.

About 3 hours later I was in a 30 minute crit and couldn't do anything except ride at the back of the pack just hanging on for dear life. My legs just wouldn't turn over coming out of all the turns. Tomorrow is a 32 mile road race with some challenging hills. Hopefully I'll recover enough to be in the mix. I entered the Cat 4 races because the Masters 40+ only had two entries with one day left to register, which means a lot of the racers are 1/2 my age. The Master's now have a field of 14 which I would have fit in just fine. I wish I had better hindsight.
Old 07-10-09, 11:14 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
Did my first ever TT today in the Tour of the Valley Stage Race in the Youngstown area. I don't have a TT bike but attached a clip on aero bar onto my road bike. It was a short TT of only 5.63 miles. There is a discrepancy on my time. The official race time shows me @ 13:20. My HR monitor shows me at 12:50 and my computer still showed 26+ mph about 1 minute into my cool down . We started every 30 seconds and I passed two riders and finished within 100 yds of the guy who started 1:30 ahead of me. Also the guy who started 30 seconds behind me said that I was over 45 seconds ahead of him at the 1/2 way point and that he couldn't close any, yet the official time shows him beating me by 18 seconds. Oh well it's not life changing it's just a race that really put the hurt on me.

About 3 hours later I was in a 30 minute crit and couldn't do anything except ride at the back of the pack just hanging on for dear life. My legs just wouldn't turn over coming out of all the turns. Tomorrow is a 32 mile road race with some challenging hills. Hopefully I'll recover enough to be in the mix. I entered the Cat 4 races because the Masters 40+ only had two entries with one day left to register, which means a lot of the racers are 1/2 my age. The Master's now have a field of 14 which I would have fit in just fine. I wish I had better hindsight.
Congrats on the TT and Crit good luck on the road race tomorrow.
Old 07-10-09, 11:16 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
One hour Z2 ride. Race tomorrow and Sunday.
Old 07-11-09, 11:02 AM
kenkayak

Bikes: Trek 7300/cannondale mountain bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
ya im with you/Hermes and Jet/ DID THE LONG LOOP on the old bean cannondale stayed on the middle ring and used the seven rears so I would have to huff the hills good old goat training ride.I had a wart on the bottom of my right foot that got taken half off ///so I finnished the job./IVE IODINED it and a bandaid It doesnt bother rideing but is sencetive walking.Kenneth
Old 07-11-09, 12:58 PM
BikeWNC
Climbing Above It All

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Left early in the morning for an hour drive over to the Devil's Fork Metric, part of the Hot Dogget 100. I rode 64 miles with a claimed 6150' of climbing in 3:50 ride time 3:59 total time. Beautiful low traffic course, I'll be back for sure.

edit. I forgot to mention I parked next to a guy that had just completed RAAM. His team was called the Georgia Chain Gang and they finished the 4 man in 5th overall and 1st in the 50-59 category. He was kind enough to talk about his experience and give me some tips on how to setup my bike for my cross country ride next year. Pretty cool. The century ride he was doing today was his first ride after RAAM.

Last edited by BikeWNC; 07-11-09 at 05:15 PM.
Old 07-11-09, 06:26 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Today I needed to make up some hours I missed at work during the week, so I rode in by bicycle. The hybridized MTB got the nod for this ride since I needed a rack to carry a change of clothes. I am always surprised at how much fun it is to ride that bike on the hilly 12 mile route to work, a route I would normally choose to ride on a drop bar road bike. It may be a little slower and less aggressive in its approach to the hills, but it always provides a pleasant ride. The one real drawback was not being able to play out my Tour de France fantasies. Oh well.

Although it was fairly cool when I rode in, I was sweaty enough to appreciate the shower stall in the exercise room at work. A very nice recent addition.

The ride home was considerably warmer and as luck would have it, hillier. Another shower, a few hours watching today's Tour stage, leftovers for supper and Saturday is gone.

Last edited by BluesDawg; 07-11-09 at 06:37 PM.
Old 07-11-09, 06:31 PM
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Today I needed to make up some hours I missed at work during the week, so I rode in by bicycle. The hybridized MTB got the nod for this ride since I needed a rack to carry a change of clothes. I am always surprised at how much fun it is to ride that bike on the hilly 12 mile route to work, a route I would normally choose to ride on a drop bar road bike. It may be a little slower and less aggressive in its approach to the hills, but it always provides a pleasant ride. The one real drawback was not being able to play out my Tour de France fantasies. Oh well.

Although it was fairly cool when I rode in, I was sweaty enough to appreciate the shower stall in the exercise room at work. A very nice recent addition.

The ride home was considerably warmer and as luck would have it, hillier. Another shower, a few hour watching today's Tour stage, leftovers for supper and Saturday is gone.
IMHO a commute should not be about how fast you get there but how much you enjoy the ride. My commute although short is done at the geezerly pace of about 13mph. If I treated it like just another training ride it would mean i started my work day just that much sooner.
Old 07-11-09, 07:21 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclinfool
IMHO a commute should not be about how fast you get there but how much you enjoy the ride. My commute although short is done at the geezerly pace of about 13mph. If I treated it like just another training ride it would mean i started my work day just that much sooner.
I hope I didn't give the impression that speed was important to me on this ride. I thought I was basically saying the opposite. I don't do training rides.

However, I reject the idea that any ride should or should not be about anything. If someone wants to make his commute a quest for speed, so be it. No rules, just rides.
Old 07-12-09, 08:20 AM
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did two rides yesterday. The first was the "Bike for the Health of It" program with Five Rivers MetroPark. The threat of rain kept many people away but we still had 45 riders for a nice 15 mile ride along the local trails. The rain started shortly after the ride while we were enjoying breakfast No pictures from this ride.

The second ride was a night ride along the Little Miami Scenic Trail. By this time the rain had passed and it was a great night for riding. Our destination was a local dairy for their fabulous ice cream.

This was taken at the Yellow Springs station along the trail. Many of the small town along the trail have built or restored the train stations to provide restrooms and water for trail users.

I cut the route number off in this picture but this is Ohio State Bike Route #1. Yes, it does say 68 miles (south) to Cincinnati - this is the longest paved trail in Ohio. It continues another 10 miles north where it connects with another trail. I know this sounds like an advertisement for our local trails but I do like riding them

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 07-12-09, 08:41 AM
bikegeek57
Senior Moment

Bikes: Fuji Absolute 4.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wahoo! that Hospitality Highway trip was a blast. The DOT here in Atlanta shutdown 3 miles of a major highway for a fund raiser for the Georgia Transplant Foundation. What a thrill to ride with 1000 other riders on a 4 lane superhighway. Unbelievable. It was a lot of fun. I took the 31 mile route through the area and had a lot of fun. course I was not expecting so many hills. lord does Roswell have hills. whew... more riding for me that' for sure. Hope they do this annually. It really is a hoot.
Old 07-12-09, 11:22 AM
kenkayak

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
PaulH that sounds a great use of that bikeing toolKenneth
Old 07-12-09, 11:32 AM
BikeWNC
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just a short 30 mile, 2500' climbing group ride this morning in 1:45. I'm taking a recovery week until next weekend when I'll get in a good long Z2 ride.
Old 07-12-09, 11:36 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Started early today, on the road by 6 AM.

Rode about 18 miles along the Chicago lakefront, from my home to Hyde Park.

Turned around and rode from the south side of Chicago to Waukegan IL.

Turned around and followed the lakefront through Lake Forest, Wilmette, Evanston and Chicago.

Returned home after 93 miles before noon, 5 hours & 15 minutes of riding time according to the bike computer. Perfect weather... a good way to start the day.

Michael
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 07-12-09 at 02:49 PM.
Old 07-12-09, 11:57 AM
dendawg

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Slept in longer than I should have,but still managed 21 miles before getting ready for work.
Old 07-12-09, 01:22 PM
kjc9640
Slo Spoke Jim

Bikes: 1982 Raleigh road bike & love it

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sunday 7/1/09... Beautiful day in central Florida for a bike ride.

No matter who you are or how far/fast you ride HYDRATE... HYDRATE... HYDRATE...

Todays distance 50.15 (s)miles
Total distance this mo. 317.64 (s)miles
Total distance this yr. 3567.30 (s)miles

GO LANCE ARMSTRONG....7 time Tour De France winner, I hope he makes it #8, currently in 3rd place...
Old 07-12-09, 08:41 PM
Bud Bent
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode the Boomer 200k permanent yesterday with 4 friends. It was 102 degrees in the afternoon, making the ride a bit tough. In fact, one friend had to DNF. I ended up with 126.3 miles and finished in 10:00 (8:26 riding time). That's a pretty slow pace for a 200k that doesn't have a lot of climbing, but the way I was fading at the end, it would seem to be all the speed I can muster in those conditions.
Old 07-12-09, 10:22 PM
Monoborracho

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Yesterday I rode the Peach Pedal in Weatherford, Texas along with a couple of thousand of my close friends.

It was so warm I buggered out on the metric century and did the 40 miles. Total ride time 2:48. Total time about 3:30. Max was 37mph on one of the hills. It was hot and it was hilly.

Two miles from the finish, I took a rest in the shade.

Old 07-13-09, 11:08 AM
kenkayak

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Good things to ya Monoborracho Thats a gang on such a hot day/ I did a training ride on the old cannondale ;It was a beautiful day low 50s I rode well but felt tired had to force myself to push./Kenneth
Old 07-13-09, 03:35 PM
cranky old dude

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rode in to work this evening. It's a 5 mile commute. I'm looking foreward to a nice, indirect ride home at 05:30 tomorrow morning!
Old 07-14-09, 08:41 AM
Bud Bent
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did an easy 25 mile recovery ride from home after work yesterday. I waited until 7:00 pm to start the ride, and the temperature had dropped all the way to a nice 104 degrees, so all was good.
Old 07-14-09, 10:51 AM
bikegeek57
Senior Moment

Bikes: Fuji Absolute 4.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
rode to work this morning (as I do every morning). 10.5 miles/ 71 deg. / clear weather. had to wait for a train to pass through. Nice to sit back a watch the sky for a bit at 5:30am. life is good.
Old 07-14-09, 12:02 PM
kenkayak

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I did two rides today //My daughter wished the use of my car to take granddaughter back to camp./20miles after leaving her the car back to the wood lot to pick up the jeep. Then A 7mile mtb. woods ride in the bugs //horse flys and mosquitos//glad I had screened hat.///ran into some road guys pounding over some very ruff gravel with skinny tires thay were big guys but still were haveing all to do to keep upright thay were still smileing/Kenneth
Old 07-14-09, 12:52 PM
kjc9640
Slo Spoke Jim

Bikes: 1982 Raleigh road bike & love it

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tuesday 7/14/09... A beautiful day in central Florida for a bike ride, I didn't feel like riding but did 20 anyway

No matter who you are or how far/fast you ride HYDRATE... HYDRATE... HYDRATE...

Todays distance 20.07 (s)miles
Total distance this mo. 337.71 (s)miles
Total distance this yr. 3587.37 (s)miles

GO LANCE ARMSTRONG....7 time Tour De France winner, I hope he makes it #8, currently in 3rd place...
Old 07-14-09, 03:13 PM
cranky old dude

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A brisk 12.5 miles home from work this morning in 51 degree weather, a very pleasant ride. Did 5 miles this afternoon commuting to work against 15-20 mph headwinds...less pleasant. I expect to take a longer, slow ride home in the morning.
Old 07-14-09, 04:18 PM
kenkayak

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
ID like to see the old mountain goat win again but im afraid he will be dammed if he does win or not.The nature of being at the top of the tree./Kenneth

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.