Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

BDop DIY Kinlin wheelset or Shimano 6800 wheelset?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

BDop DIY Kinlin wheelset or Shimano 6800 wheelset?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-15, 06:49 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by BoSoxYacht
That's a deal breaker.
Properly stress relieved spokes last indefinitely unless you over-shift a chain into them, have chloride stress corrosion cracking (sometimes where crossed spokes meet and catch salty road sludge), or get really creative.

Rim brakes wear out rims so they require periodic replacement, and often an obstacle or crash gets rims before that. When that happens it's nice to have replacements available. I can still get rims which match my 1997 Mavic Reflex clinchers (now Open Pros) on both ERD and cosmetics; although doing the same with last year's boutique wheel might not work.

Consequently I stick to builds using commodity rims - Open Pros, GP40s, Kinlin XR300s, and most recently Velocity Fusions available with a neat retro-reflective powder coating.