Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Why is ultralight touring so unpopular?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-15, 08:31 PM
mdilthey

Bikes: Nature Boy 853 Disc, Pugsley SS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bmike
Yeah, not carrying the same stuff as someone else usually means 'that you don't have it'

What's your point? Someone traveling UL will very likely have all they need to be sheltered from the weather, stay warm, stay hydrated and whatever else they want to do... But they may or may not carry the same gear as someone who was traveling with a heavier load.

UL and L is a mindset and a method as much it is about carrying specific things.
Exactly. I'd add to that that going UL also usually comes with a lot of planning. If you're carrying less, you scrutinize every detail because you have less room for error.

Not only that, I am also very careful about getting wet, or overheating with too many layers. I'm careful about packing my shelter away from my sleeping bag. Because I only have one of some things, I take care not to needlessly waste anything, and I try not to end up soaking wet and cold.

Someone carrying four outfits may not be as careful, and may end up with wet, sweaty gear. The mentality that "carrying more makes you more comfortable" has less to do with what you're carrying and more to do with your touring mindset and habits. That's universal between gear weights.
Old 11-28-15, 08:34 PM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hueyhoolihan
i like to bring a blow-up but it's not pillow.

i like to read to someone before i turn in... not sure about her weight though. says 200 grams, but. you know women, they always lie about their weight.

BTW, that's not really me on the left. i'm not that good looking.
Did I say hilarous or perverted or both.
Old 11-28-15, 08:40 PM
Buffalo Buff

Bikes: 2015 synapse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera
Here's a pic of my Touring Rig:

Equipped to proceed on a day long ride in challenging terrain to the best of light-weight touring accommodations: a fine old hotel with an excellent chef and a good wine cellar.
We all have our priorities.......Enjoy.

-Bandera
Nice looking bike! Sounds like a great place to end a ride
Old 11-28-15, 08:42 PM
Buffalo Buff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by psy
you might want to rethink the shower shoes if you use public showers of any kind..
I used showers on the coastal beaches in Texas and other states one of my last tours. Didn't need any shoes.
Old 11-28-15, 08:42 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Elite Disc, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
...why...go to the trouble of being UL...
This statement baffled me. From my point of view, bringing less stuff is simple. Packing more stuff is more trouble. We all have different viewpoints, and that makes it interesting.
Old 11-28-15, 09:05 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
................. We all have different viewpoints, and that makes it interesting.
+1

The way I interpret this thread is: One faction says if you bring more gear than I use, you are carrying too much. The other faction says if you bring less gear than I do, you are uncomfortable.

It seems like most of us carry the minimum amount of gear that will meet our needs for a specific tour.

There are so many variables between tours it is almost impossible to make generalizations.

Last edited by Doug64; 11-28-15 at 10:30 PM.
Old 11-28-15, 09:46 PM
psy

Bikes: Salsa Fargo commuter,Litespeed Ocoee titanium mountain bike cannondale caad9 105 road bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Squeezebox
Well you are just flat out wrong. My 2 oz blow up pillow is more comfortable than a crazy bedroom pillow
Oh yeah? I'm a pillow snob I'd love to know which one that is.

I have a sea to summit, exped, and a Kelty luxury. The Kelty is worth the 11 oz. and I don't bother with anything else.
Old 11-28-15, 10:01 PM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by psy

I have a sea to summit, exped, and a Kelty luxury. The Kelty is worth the 11 oz. and I don't bother with anything else.
I find a UL Exped nestled into the hood of my sleeping bag is very comfortable
Old 11-28-15, 10:06 PM
chrisx

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
I am thinking if I get a hammock that weighs 2 pounds I will be more comfortable. That extra 1/4 pound might slow me down though.

My wool shirt makes a beter pillow than my blow up pillow.
The rain jacket was extra weight for 33 days, then it rained a million drops.
Since I pedaled the pacific coast route 5 times everyone should do it my way.

To start with no songs over 3 minutes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0E1efv6mLA
extra pixels slow the rotaton of the earth

Do these 10 lines make since?
More or less than the last 10 pages?
Old 11-28-15, 10:12 PM
chrisx

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
what if somebody figures out that my wool shirt is heavy
oh no
by the by, the fleece is warmer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4evy_IMFKQ
3:35 = minus points
Old 11-28-15, 10:13 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by chrisx
I am thinking if I get a hammock that weighs 2 pounds I will be more comfortable. That extra 1/4 pound might slow me down though.

My wool shirt makes a beter pillow than my blow up pillow.
The rain jacket was extra weight for 33 days, then it rained a million drops.
Since I pedaled the pacific coast route 5 times everyone should do it my way.

To start with no songs over 3 minutes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0E1efv6mLA
extra pixels slow the rotaton of the earth

Do these 10 lines make since?
More or less than the last 10 pages?
meh, more or less...
Old 11-28-15, 10:44 PM
psy

Bikes: Salsa Fargo commuter,Litespeed Ocoee titanium mountain bike cannondale caad9 105 road bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nun
I find a UL Exped nestled into the hood of my sleeping bag is very comfortable
A perfect example of my one and only point, we all have different comfort levels and many of us choose to carry a few extras because we want them. Not because they are poor/ uninformed/ cheap gear choices, as ul proponents often seem to imply. I have that pillow and I find it to be the least comfortable of the three I have. The cheapest and heaviest one is the I use on most trips.
Same with my sleeping bag. My winter bag is a Sierra designs backcountry bed 800 fill down 20 degree bag. For the same price I could have bought a traditional down mummy bag that weighs more than a third less. But I'm a side sleeper and toss and turn, and this is the only bag I've ever owned that I don't get tangled up in. It's really awesome and anyone who hates getting tangled up in their bag three times a night should try one out.
So these are examples of reasons I, and I imagine many others aren't as ultralight as we could be if we sacrificed our comfort, we all have different comfort levels and most of us fall towards the middle of the spectrum.
Old 11-28-15, 11:13 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
This statement baffled me. From my point of view, bringing less stuff is simple. Packing more stuff is more trouble. We all have different viewpoints, and that makes it interesting.
I think just bringing less stuff would put one in the light weight category (if there are such categories). To go UL most people are investing in specific pieces of equipment or materials and adopting a very intentional mindset.

For example, one might tour with a small tent stored in panniers. To go UL they buy a tarp tent or hammock and use bikepacking bags. So the question is, if you are happy with the tent and panniers and can tour in comfort, why go lighter?

It's not something I need convincing about personally. I've done all this to death 30 years ago when I was climbing. I sold UL climbing gear and got wholesale pricing on all my own stuff. I have a bivy sac, thinsulite bag, climbing stove I can suspend in a tent etc... But, that is the sort of question I think many tourers would ask ie. "I'm happy doing what I'm doing with what I have, why do I need/want to go UL?" You would have to convince me that there are troves of tourers out there miserable doing what they are doing and looking for a solution but that doesn't seem to be the case. I don't mean any offense because I'm a nerd myself but it just seems like a subset of tourers that enjoy geeking out on seeing how light they can go.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 11-28-15 at 11:18 PM.
Old 11-28-15, 11:16 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Squeezebox
Well you are just flat out wrong. My 2 oz blow up pillow is more comfortable than a crazy bedroom pillow
When I tour I bring my bed from the bedroom with all the linens and pillows, just certain creature comforts a person needs to have.
Old 11-29-15, 02:14 AM
Buffalo Buff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
"I'm happy doing what I'm doing with what I have, why do I need/want to go UL?" You would have to convince me that there are troves of tourers out there miserable doing what they are doing and looking for a solution but that doesn't seem to be the case. I don't mean any offense because I'm a nerd myself but it just seems like a subset of tourers that enjoy geeking out on seeing how light they can go.
For me its just about making the ride more fun. When I take my bike out for a quick pleasure ride witu no luggage on it, I love how it accelerates and handles. Packing lighter makes it feel closer to that.
Old 11-29-15, 02:54 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Loving this thread. It just keeps giving and giving!
Old 11-29-15, 03:34 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1

In any case when you say axe people here in the US almost universally think of a larger tool designed to be used with two hands.

As far as taking one on a bike tour... either a hatchet or and axe seems pretty excessive to me. I typically don't have fires when touring or backpacking all that often anymore, but back when I did I didn't usually burn anything big enough that I couldn't process it by breaking it without tools other than maybe a fork in a tree. If I did take something for that purpose it would be a saw, but I leave that home too.
Originally Posted by Buffalo Buff
If they asked a genuine question its one thing, but to condescendingly remark about how someone UL touring probably doesn't have much / any experience actually touring, and isn't able to bring any comforts along....that's not going to get a perfectly polite response from me

Agreed. Even when I'm just going camping, a knife and a firesteel is all I need to get a fire going. Gather some tinder and twigs, setup a teepee, have thicker branches broken down and ready to go, make some wood shavings with the knife, then spark them with the steel. Easy stuff.

Making actual fires should usually be reserved for emergencies, except of course if you're at a camping site with a dedicated fire making spot and provided fuel. Making fires for fun in the wild is irresponsible, inconsiderate and possibly dangerous.

However I use a woodgas stove, which isn't a fire and thus has a few more requirements than making a pile of sticks and lighting it up. Hence the axe/hatchet comes in really handy since it speeds up wood processing by maybe tenfold. Don'r really get the idea about a saw since it can't split soow. Cutting it is rarely an issue.
That said, even If I had a gas stove I'd still rather always take the axe/hatchet since it's such a multifunctional tool and can be useful for just about anything
Old 11-29-15, 03:50 AM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
Making fires for fun in the wild is irresponsible, inconsiderate and possibly dangerous.
People all over the world make open fires every day, to cook, for warmth, to sit around and enjoy.

Last edited by imi; 11-29-15 at 03:55 AM.
Old 11-29-15, 04:01 AM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by psy

Are you serious? Do you really bring an 11 oz pillow with you? That's really funny. Does it go in the trailer with the bath tub?
Old 11-29-15, 04:29 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by imi
People all over the world make open fires every day, to cook, for warmth, to sit around and enjoy.
Increasingly, open fires are being discouraged, and even outlawed in Australia because of the very real bushfire dangers they present, especially in summer. In World Heritage Areas such as the South-West of Tasmania, open fires are banned, and if you want to cook, take a stove; if you want to stay warm, take more clothing.

I've also been in one North American campground where the woodsmoke from a succession of campfires was disgusting. Like everything else, there are people who know how to build and burn fires with the right wood, and there are those who have a romantic idea, but have no clue.
Old 11-29-15, 04:34 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
Increasingly, open fires are being discouraged, and even outlawed in Australia because of the very real bushfire dangers they present, especially in summer. In World Heritage Areas such as the South-West of Tasmania, open fires are banned, and if you want to cook, take a stove; if you want to stay warm, take more clothing.

I've also been in one North American campground where the woodsmoke from a succession of campfires was disgusting. Like everything else, there are people who know how to build and burn fires with the right wood, and there are those who have a romantic idea, but have no clue.
+1

Campfires are also banned in certain parts of Canada at certain times of the year ... because of the potential for forest fires.
Old 11-29-15, 04:40 AM
bmike
Bye Bye

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by psy
So these are examples of reasons I, and I imagine many others aren't as ultralight as we could be if we sacrificed our comfort, we all have different comfort levels and most of us fall towards the middle of the spectrum.

You know that you can walk away from the keyboard at anytime. At this point your argument goes like this:

OP: I want to run a marathon. I need some gear and training advice.
PSY: Why do you want to run a marathon. People like me have been happy running 10ks.
OP: Becasue I really want to run a marathon.
PSY: I don't run marathons. I usually run a 5k and might do a 10k once a year.
OP: So, I think I have my training plan figured out. What do you experienced runners think?
PSY: Really, there's no need to run a marathon. A 10k is fine for most people.
OP: I'm not most people.
PSY: Well, you should be.
Old 11-29-15, 04:44 AM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 99 Posts

My point was that making a fire in the wild does not per definition have to be irresponsible, inconsiderate and possibly dangerous...
Of course it can be, duh, which is why it is even illegal in many places or at certain times of the year... And totally legal in other places if done in a safe and responsible way.
Old 11-29-15, 07:50 AM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Originally Posted by psy
A perfect example of my one and only point, we all have different comfort levels and many of us choose to carry a few extras because we want them. Not because they are poor/ uninformed/ cheap gear choices, as ul proponents often seem to imply. I have that pillow and I find it to be the least comfortable of the three I have. The cheapest and heaviest one is the I use on most trips.
I don't believe anyone said that you have made inappropriate gear choices. The way I understood your point was that UL people could not take certain items and were therefore less comfortable. I now agree with what you are saying. We all have different comfort levels. Personally, I am just as comfortable with my UL equipment as heavier alternatives and I believe that many people could, and do, feel the same way. I do not lack functionality, (I carry shower shoes, pillow, umbrella etc) I just do it with lightweight gear.
Old 11-29-15, 08:32 AM
nun

Originally Posted by Buffalo Buff
For me its just about making the ride more fun. When I take my bike out for a quick pleasure ride witu no luggage on it, I love how it accelerates and handles. Packing lighter makes it feel closer to that.
+1

I go lightweight as I can maintain camping comfort and improve cycling comfort and enjoyment. It has the added benefit of making travel very easy and if I ever have to lift my bike over an obstacle that is also very easy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.