Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

DB 531 v. 631OS v. SLX Tubing for Speed & Comfort

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

DB 531 v. 631OS v. SLX Tubing for Speed & Comfort

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-20, 03:50 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,717 Times in 2,614 Posts
Originally Posted by unalteu
ye
hah
Old 05-09-20, 07:36 PM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by Kilroy1988
True, True! I've just been thinking in the narrow mindset lately because the Conti 25c tires are clearly faster than the chunky Kendas I've been used to riding on in recent seasons.

I've read quite a bit to that extent via Jan Heine's blog and such, but am probably looking at frames that wouldn't handle much more than 28mm tires anyway. Bob Jackson won't mess with their fit much on off-the-peg frames, and Tommasinis were made in an era when anything wide on a racing frame would be laughable. If I stick with my older 531 stuff then I should definitely have options, though. Thanks!

-Gregory

(P.s. The reason I'm looking at new frames is because the Raleigh Pro is borrowed from my uncle, long-term if I wish, but it's several hundred dollars of parts swapping away from how I'd want it set up ideally. Investing money in a bike I can't sell or which may make my uncle squint and wonder why, may not be as wise as starting from scratch.)
Wow! There’s a big revelation in there - that a new bike (custom?) is an option.

The conversation so far has mostly talked about bikes as built, (except merziac ’s recent Strawberry experience) and when you’re purchasing used, the limitations are some combination of luck, patience, and budget, plus research like you’ve been doing to determine what bike type and factors you’d prefer, hoping that the stars would align eventually.

But if new is an option...

FWIW, if I was purchasing new, having read every issue of Bicycle Quarterly (but not necessarily drinking all JH’s Kool-Aid), the short list for my noted taste in versatile sports touring frames would be: Jeff Lyon’s L’avecaise, A MAP from Mitch Pryor ( assuming he is still making them after the California fires), or a Terraferma. Van mentioned the importance of face-to-face interaction, which would put Jeff Lyons as a clear favorite, since I’m in the PNW. I’d include the subject of 650B versus 700C wheels in the conversation with the builder(s). If I was looking at something off the shelf, that Crust Lightning Bolt is intriguing.
Old 05-09-20, 07:45 PM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts
Originally Posted by Dfrost
Wow! There’s a big revelation in there - that a new bike (custom?) is an option...
Well, it is, to some extent... Only on the lower end of the budget, which I mentioned. I wish I could put together some choices like those you listed off. MAP would be high on my list, as well as Meerglas, Jaegher, and some others that specialize in that randonneuring style. For now, Bob Jackson off-the-peg frames or something of a comparable nature like the lower end Torelli frame sets (also made with pretty standard options) would be all I could justify affording. My wife and I will be trying to buy a house in 2021 so I can't imagine plunging much more than $2,000 into a full build, with most of that funding coming via a parting of ways with a few current projects.

That's why, ideally, finding a vintage frame that matches my riding style and aesthetic tastes for less than $750 would be great. An Italian make with nice Columbus tubing or another classic British DB 531 frame topped the list when I started this thread, but now I too am staring at these darn bonded aluminum marvels, and have been staring at an Alan-built Guerciotti Sprint that's currently on eBay and ready for a modern drive train with cable adjusters and 130mm rear axle. It would offer a more aggressive stance than my Raleigh Professional, but supposedly the frame has that extra flex that might really make it that much more comfortable...

-Gregory
Old 05-10-20, 06:07 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,717 Times in 2,614 Posts
For a completely different approach, one that’s not as expensive as a domestic custom builder or even Bob Jackson or Mercian, you might check out these folks:

Waltly - Makers of custom high-end titanium bicycle frames, forks and small parts

I have a frame coming my way that’s essentially a copy of the geometry of my Black Mtn Cycles Road, but with provisions for slightly wider tires and disc brakes. Yeah, no C&V content, but that’s where my riding tastes seem to be these days.
Likes For nlerner: