Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

The Helmet Thread 2

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.
View Poll Results: What Are Your Helmet Wearing Habits?
I've never worn a bike helmet
10.40%
I used to wear a helmet, but have stopped
4.80%
I've always worn a helmet
41.60%
I didn't wear a helmet, but now do
25.20%
I sometimes wear a helmet depending on the conditions
18.00%
Voters: 500. You may not vote on this poll

The Helmet Thread 2

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-16, 07:22 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,585 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
I was on a solo ride this morning, downtown Roswell in an area frequented by a local group I am contemplating joining. I rolled up beside a roadie type, who looked me over for a few seconds and declared "Put a helmet on, Man"......
To me that's the crux of the helmet controversy. Those of us who chose to ride without a helmet have no problem understanding why others prefer to wear one. However
the situation isn't symmetrical, and we're constantly subjected to the "helpful" advice of those who cannot fathom why anyone would choose to ride without wearing a helmet.

Over the last 30 years or so, this kind of thing is one reason I ride mostly solo, or with a few among small circle. I also pass on organized rides because of their mandatory helmet rules.

The ultimate irony was this fall when I was almost T-boned by a car jumping a red as it was about changed, the collision only avoided with good reflexes and brakes. The driver rolled down his window and called out the classic, "what? no helmet?".

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 05-08-16, 07:34 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
To me that's the crux of the helmet controversy. Those of us who chose to ride without a helmet have no problem understanding why others prefer to wear one. However
the situation isn't symmetrical, and we're constantly subjected to the "helpful" advice of those who cannot fathom why anyone would choose to ride without wearing a helmet.

Over the last 30 years or so, this kind of thing is one reason I ride mostly solo, or with a few among small circle. I also pass on organized rides because of their mandatory helmet rules.

The ultimate irony was this fall when I was almost T-boned by a car jumping a red as it was about changed, the collision only avoided with good reflexes and brakes. The driver rolled down his window and called out the classic, "what? no helmet?".
Yep, not only failing to understand why, but having some sense of entitlement with regards to random strangers. In fact, all I want to know from Bike Roswell is whether they have an agenda with respect to mandatory helmet laws, and if they encourage members in this sort of behavior. I have had at least a small amount of local notoriety in the past, and I don't want to lend that to that sort of agenda.
Old 05-09-16, 02:07 AM
CarinusMalmari

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1662 Post(s)
Liked 226 Times in 131 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Would you care to walk up to a 350 pound football player, and tell him he looks stupid with his helmet on?
No, I wouldn't. Unlike some people here I don't feel the need to bother random strangers with my opinion on helmets.
Old 05-09-16, 02:18 AM
CarinusMalmari

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1662 Post(s)
Liked 226 Times in 131 Posts
Yep, not only failing to understand why, but having some sense of entitlement with regards to random strangers.
It reminds me of the behavior of some reformed smokers. Typically the ones that aren't all that happy about the new situation, and try to reaffirm themselves by bashing random smokers. Perhaps deep down the more verbal helmeteers long for the feeling of the wind through their hair?
Old 05-09-16, 09:57 AM
Joe Minton

Bikes: Gary Fisher Hi-Fi Deluxe, Giant Stance, Cannondale Synapse, Diamondback 8sp IGH, 1989 Merckx

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Professor Hugh H. Hurt and Professor "Red" Lombard developed the basic modern helmet at the University of Southern California around 1960, perhaps a bit earlier. They were fulfilling a U.S. Navy contract aimed at reducing the number of deaths and severe head injuries to pilots crashing onto carrier decks.

They found that Styrofoam was the best material. It remains the best material. The essence of helmet performance is to reduce peak loads commonly expressed in "g"s; the higher the peak loading, the greater likelihood of lesions in brain tissue.

There was one study, involving cadaver heads, that found that a head with a half-inch of hair only needed a drop of 3.5 feet (as best I recall) onto a cement surface to produce a fractured skull and certain brain damage. If one were to fall over backwards on a sidewalk so that one's head hit first, he/she would never be the same again if, that is, they survived. Modern DOT helmets prevent such injuries with an eight foot drop. CPSC bicycle helmets do the same from a two meter drop. Helmets work, of that there is no doubt.

When Professor Lombard retired Hugh "Harry" Hurt became the professor of safety at USC. Though he was a most effective spokesman for the use of helmets, he privately did not support the compulsory use of helmets. He once told me that he was against such laws. I agree with that position. However, I do believe that the truth about helmet effectiveness ought to be widely known so that one can make an informed decision.

Jobst Brandt's error was believing that every event was foreseeable; he did not foresee that his frame might break in two. What was foreseeable were the possibilities and even likely consequences of such a failure. He disregarded those threats and shortened his life, and -- we lost a fine contributor to our sport.

Joe

A useful link: (Helmets: Bicycle Helmets)

Last edited by Joe Minton; 05-28-16 at 07:53 PM. Reason: added statement re CPSC helmets
Old 05-09-16, 11:45 AM
howsteepisit

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
so where is any indication that a
Brandt's stoke was caused by a head injury? me, i wear a helmet at times at times not. Your source warns against false claims on both side.

Oh yeah, DOT is for motorcycle helmets,not bicycle helmets

Last edited by howsteepisit; 05-09-16 at 11:50 AM.
Old 05-10-16, 08:47 AM
Joe Minton

Bikes: Gary Fisher Hi-Fi Deluxe, Giant Stance, Cannondale Synapse, Diamondback 8sp IGH, 1989 Merckx

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I was the technical editor for Bicycle Rider in 1986 and chose to research and write an article about bicycle helmets. This was a follow-on to the similar article I researched and we published when I was the tech editor at Motorcyclist magazine.
The research consisted of gathering a couple of dozen helmets, taking them to the helmet test lab at USC (University of Southern California) and drop testing them. The data we collected formed the content and conclusions I wrote into the article.
At the time, there was no governmental standard for bicycle helmet impact performance. We created our own standard (Harry, Dave and I). We decided that a reasonable drop height ought to be about the same as a bicycle rider’s head above the ground. To establish what that height ought to be, Dave took three rolls of film (108 pix total) of bicycle riders passing his carefully calibrated yard stick stuck in the sand next to the bike path on the beach near his home in Redondo Beach, CA. The average was 5’7”. So --- that was our drop height.
We tested using the already-established helmet test machinery:
  • Flat anvil
  • Hemi anvil
  • Highly developed head forms
  • etc

There was one surprise (to me, not, I suspect, to Dave or Harry). I learned that it was possible to make a helmet that was more dangerous than not wearing one at all. One helmet used neoprene wet-suit foam and was rather popular. It was a disaster! It seems that the neoprene foam, when completely compressed, ‘kicks back’ and produces a very high but very short ‘g’ number. What the data clearly showed was that this particular helmet was dangerous to wear and that the best thing one could do when wearing said helmet was to throw it off when engaging an oncoming accident.
My article put that company (and 15 people) out of business. I regret that those folks lost their jobs. However, I do not regret telling the (verifiable) truth.

Joe

Last edited by Joe Minton; 05-10-16 at 05:09 PM.
Old 05-10-16, 08:57 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by blue192
I really do not understand why the hate about bicycle helmets. You can buy a cheap one for 20$ or an expensive one for 200+$ they get tested to the same standards. Also with the state that USA healthcare is in with this "Obamacare" thing (I am in Canada so don't understand it) wearing a helmet is probably cheaper than whatever co-pay option you guys do when in a hospital.
It's not hate for bicycle helmets. Most of the bare-head brigade couldn't care less if you choose one or not. However, issue is taken when ignorant comments are made in association with helmet use or non-use, like "...wearing a helmet is probably cheaper than whatever co-pay option you guys do when in a hospital."
Old 05-10-16, 09:01 AM
mconlonx

This:

Personally I don't really care if anyone wears a helmet or not.
...combined with this:

...because everyone must pay for the hospital visit for the cyclist via our taxes. And we want to have them out of hospital quicker to allow more injured people to be treated.
...is a contradictory statement. Do you care whether people wear a helmet or not, or do you care that your taxes go to pay for hospital care of the infinitesimally small percentage of cyclists who crash, without a helmet, and need hospital care?

You can't have it both ways...
Old 05-10-16, 09:06 AM
mconlonx

Originally Posted by Joe Minton
Remember Jobst Brandt? ...He would still be with us had he worn a helmet.
Really? 'Cause lots of people die and are seriously injured while wearing helmets. How on earth can you legitimately make this claim?

Here, I will make a counterclaim with as much to back it up: Had Jobst Brandt been wearing a helmet and considering the circumstances of the crash he suffered, he still would have suffered serious TBI and died as a result of complications from it.
Old 05-10-16, 09:20 AM
Joe Minton

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The Christmas turkey: paraphrasing Bertrand Russell:
A turkey concludes that it will always be fed in the early morning based on its 300+ days of experience. However, the evening before Christmas, someone cuts its throat.

The black swan:
All Swans are white, until, that is, you go to South Africa where there are black ones.

Helmets are not necessary ---- until they are.
You make your choice; you take your chance.

I simply don't want you to make a choice in ignorance or through misdirection.

Joe
Old 05-10-16, 09:27 AM
mconlonx

Buy the ticket, take the ride.

You do what you want; I wear a helmet, not because it will save my life, but because helmets are way cool and it might save me from minor injury which would still be a total inconvenience any given day.

What I don't do is tell others how they should live their lives or oversell the safety/protective capabilities of bicycle helmets.
Old 05-10-16, 09:53 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Minton
Helmets are not necessary ---- until they are.
You make your choice; you take your chance.
By what process did you determine that a standard bicycle helmet strikes this perfect balance to which you allude? To be more specific, why not a helmet offering a higher degree of protection such as a full face helmet?
Old 05-10-16, 10:18 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts

Being so anti helmet that you wont ride club or other organized rides means you are missing out on a lot of cycling fun. But I guess that is your choice.
Old 05-10-16, 10:40 AM
2 Piece

Bikes: Motobecane Century Pro Ti Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Being so anti helmet that you wont ride club or other organized rides means you are missing out on a lot of cycling fun. But I guess that is your choice.
My goodness where in the post you quoted did FBinNY make a statement that he is "so anti helmet"??? Where has the reading comprehension gone??? Like he says, us non helmet users can easily tolerate helmet users, however helmet users have a hissy with anyone doesn't believe in helmet use.
Old 05-10-16, 12:07 PM
Sargon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow! I have to admire your staying power, and that of njkayaker. I check a year later and you are still holding out against the usual suspects: the fake statistician, the guy straining to make the Dutch experience relevant to America, and the regular trolls.

Here is the winning argument: Let the millions of miles of hard asphalt out there drive the argument home and knock some sense into reticent heads. It is far more persuasive that anything you or I can write.

Do continue...
Old 05-10-16, 12:26 PM
baron von trail 

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mconlonx
Buy the ticket, take the ride.

You do what you want; I wear a helmet, not because it will save my life, but because helmets are way cool and it might save me from minor injury which would still be a total inconvenience any given day.

What I don't do is tell others how they should live their lives or oversell the safety/protective capabilities of bicycle helmets.
I wear my helmet for the visor. It lets me wear clear goggles which then comes in handy when I ride in both daylight and dark conditions on commutes. It also keeps the rain off my face.

Good enough for me.

Safety? Shrug. Sure. It's probably a little safer to wear a helmet than it is to ride without one.
Old 05-10-16, 12:49 PM
2 Piece

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sargon
Wow! I have to admire your staying power, and that of njkayaker. I check a year later and you are still holding out against the usual suspects: the fake statistician, the guy straining to make the Dutch experience relevant to America, and the regular trolls.

Here is the winning argument: Let the millions of miles of hard asphalt out there drive the argument home and knock some sense into reticent heads. It is far more persuasive that anything you or I can write.

Do continue...
What fake statisticians?
Old 05-10-16, 01:24 PM
Sargon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2 Piece
What fake statisticians?
Singular and not you.
Old 05-10-16, 01:36 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,364 Times in 945 Posts
I was on a solo ride this morning, downtown Roswell in an area frequented by a local group I am contemplating joining. I rolled up beside a roadie type, who looked me over for a few seconds and declared "Put a helmet on, Man".
Some members of cycle clubs do that (not all of them). I sometimes point out that it probably doesn't matter.

It's been about 40,000 miles since the last time that's happened. Not a big deal to me what opinion some random ill-informed person has, but he was wearing the jersey of the local group, or the sponsoring shop! Roswell Bikes. I'm not sure if I'll be joining, depending on what the community relations director has to say.
You wouldn't want to make a hasty decision.

There are many people who use helmets who don't care that you and others don't ride without one.

It seems likely that many of the people complaining about cyclists not wearing helmets don't ever cycle. Many of those people would likely rather you not ride at all (making the helmet issue moot).

Last edited by njkayaker; 05-10-16 at 01:56 PM.
Old 05-10-16, 01:46 PM
njkayaker

I guess the Seal's have little faith in helmets as well since they do not wear them on missions.
Not a guess based on facts. If they had "little faith", they wouldn't use them ever.
Old 05-10-16, 01:51 PM
2 Piece

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
Not a guess based on facts. If they had "little faith", they wouldn't use them ever.
I was just playing the same game the pro helmet wearers play, basing my own conjecture not facts. I am finding most pro helmet wearers are more faith based than fact base. It feels good to to give my guesses as fact, I now understand why so many pro helmet users do it.
Old 05-10-16, 02:01 PM
njkayaker

I was just playing the same game the pro helmet wearers play, basing my own conjecture not facts. I am finding most pro helmet wearers are more faith based than fact base. It feels good to to give my guesses as fact, I now understand why so many pro helmet users do it.
Ahh.

Many people who wear helmets don't really care that other people don't. There's many years of "anti helmet" faith based stuff in this and earlier threads too.
Old 05-10-16, 05:04 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
Some members of cycle clubs do that (not all of them). I sometimes point out that it probably doesn't matter.

You wouldn't want to make a hasty decision.

I don't care if any or all of the members are fanatical about helmets, or have any other opinion about it. On the other hand, if it's normal or even expected for their members to act that way, I don't want to be associated with it.
Old 05-10-16, 05:27 PM
njkayaker

I don't care if any or all of the members are fanatical about helmets, or have any other opinion about it. On the other hand, if it's normal or even expected for their members to act that way, I don't want to be associated with it.
I'm not sure if fanaticism is normal or expected. There are drivers who don't cycle who are pretty fanatical about helmets. Certainly, you are free to associate with or without anybody you choose.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.