Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Am I crazy spending $2.5k on my first real bike?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Am I crazy spending $2.5k on my first real bike?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-20, 02:39 PM
DaverSomething

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
A bike is not an investment. It is a depreciating asset. But, if you have the money (do NOT finance a depreciating asset) set aside, and you can meet your other financial goals without needing this money, then you can consider spending it on a bicycle. Whether or not you will notice the difference between a $2.5K bike and a $1.5K bike can be debated by others. I'd say to set a goal to spend half of what you planned. It will still be an improvement over what you had been riding.
Meh. Money is money. It all comes from the same collection, it all ends up in the same collection. If it costs less to finance a depreciating asset than it costs to finance an appreciating asset, then smart money is money saved.

Back on topic.. whatever gets you riding, if you can afford it. The time to save money on a bike is when you can't afford it or you're not sure you're gonna use it. Price is arbitrary, we don't know or care how much money you have to spend.

My bike was an investment in myself. I put down the miles, I lost the pounds, I got my cardio in shape. That's a huge ROI for my body, which is also a depreciating asset.
Old 08-14-20, 02:44 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by GAtkins
A very astute observation. We're just talking to ourselves, aren't we?

Glenn
Seems that way.
Old 08-17-20, 11:14 AM
wewillie_one

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You will feel good with your purchase wether new or used.
Old 08-17-20, 11:19 AM
jbrown3

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2.5 K budget

$2.5 should buy you a truly fine ride, what ever your application. You will find a lot of attractive options and you could find a remarkable one on the used market. Happy hunting and biking. J/B
Old 08-17-20, 11:19 AM
jbrown3

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
$2.5 should buy you a truly fine ride, what ever your application. You will find a lot of attractive options and you could find a remarkable one on the used market. Happy hunting and biking. J/B
Old 08-17-20, 11:26 AM
Bill63
Bike Mechanic

Bikes: Road, and MTB

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My personal opinion, no you are not crazy, i would consider a 2 to 3K bike as a middle of the road price range bike. That should get you something that has good components that will stay in adjustment and doesn't cost you tons in service provided you stay on top of basic cleaning, lube, and watch chain stretch. 10, 11, &12 speed cassettes it is suggested to replace chain at .50 % stretch where 9 speed and below is suggested at .75
Old 08-17-20, 11:27 AM
oldukbkr 

Bikes: '59 Rory O'Brien, 49/72 Holdsworth Trike, '66 Bates BAR, '74 Bob Jackson

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
There's a lot to be said for riding a bike you really enjoy. One thing you might consider is a good used bike. If there is a bike co-op/nonprofit nearby you will generally find good advice and interesting bikes without the sales pressure.
Old 08-17-20, 11:37 AM
Solo_rider

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
TBH, yes. Are you rich ? Or are you going to buy it on credit -like many people do ? I never buy anything on payment. It's a hole a lot of people seem to like putting themselves in then they start crying. But the other question, WHAT does a $2500 bike offer that a $800 doesn't ? If it's lighter, by how many pounds ? I don't think there's a whole lot of difference in ride quality between all decent quality bikes. A more expensive bike isn't going to make you ride longer of faster. Nope. Also, you can always buy used and get a very good quality bike -in excellent condition- for a lot less. But I don't know. It's your money and it's always wise to use your money wisely.
Old 08-17-20, 11:41 AM
alanf

Bikes: Devinci Millenium, Gary Fisher Joshua

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by GAtkins
Buy once, cry once.

Glenn
I agree with the posters who said go for it.

Years ago I was going to buy a very used Hobie 16. It required driving a long distance to look at it in snowy conditions and a lot of guesswork re: was the drive worthwhile/safe and was the boat really a wreck??? My wife said to me....

"Is that what you realllllly want? Are you just going to want to upgrade next year. Buy it once.."

I bought a faster and lighter than stink Hobie Tiger. We ended up talking a deal between two dealers, got it new for a song and 'What a blast'. No regrets.

I just bought a cello. Same thing I bought a nice one.

My bike was 3000 on sale for 2000. CanD, 20 years ago that I still ride and no need to replace.

No point in being the richest man in the graveyard.

Just beware that you are not the only one that wants it and put it in an ultra-safe place when you are not riding.
Old 08-17-20, 11:43 AM
DoJoMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
I always advise people to get an aluminium frame w/105 for their first bike. It's good enough that it won't hold you back for the first couple of seasons. If you're still into cycling an a couple of years, you'll probably want a different bike anyway. If you decide it's not for you, then you still have a decent bike that you can take out from time-to-time but haven't spent thousands of dollars on something you don't use.
This is exactly what I did in the early 1990’s - an aluminum 105 version of a high-end road bike. The day I bought it, I told the shop owner I would come back after I put 5,000 miles on it to order the top-of-the-line carbon version of that bike. During those 5,000 miles I learned what I liked and didn’t like, and most importantly, I realized my aluminum bike was one size too big. On the day I turned over 5,000 miles on the bike, I rolled into the bike shop and ordered my dream bike. 25 years later I still have that bike (although, it is primarily a Zwift bike at this point, but it is still a great bike). Also, over the last 25 years, I have purchased many other high-end bikes (MTB, Fat, Gravel, etc.), and because I now know what I like they are all still in my bike rotation.
Likes For DoJoMN:
Old 08-17-20, 11:46 AM
Bill63
Bike Mechanic

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I do highly suggest anything other than Carbon Fiber frames though regardless of what you end up with.CF is fragile, and can have catastrophic failures, not to mention the annoying problems, like bottom bracket noises, and headset issues. since the above poster brought up the question, what does a more expensive bike get you that an $800 bike doesn't? The answer is yes weight, and also it stays adjusted and doesn't cost you a fortune in constant tuning and the frustration of being out of adjustment. For a car comparison, yes a Yugo will get you down the road, but a descent VW or Honda is a lot more reliable.
Old 08-17-20, 11:48 AM
Bill63
Bike Mechanic

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd rather have titanium than CF, just a personal issue, have found CF to be too soft for me as well as fragile
Old 08-17-20, 12:26 PM
WinterCommuter

Bikes: 2014 Trek Farley, 1993 Gary Fisher Paragon

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Interesting questions. My opinion is, I like to get the best bike that I can afford for the purpose. If you want to move from your citibike to road racing or triathlon bike because that’s how you really see yourself spending your time. A $2500 bike might be right on. On the other-hand, If you simply want to own a faster/lighter commuting bike, $2500 might be over kill. That is, i have a very old mtn bike that i wouldn’t spend $300 to buy that i use as my commuter. Specifically, theft is a very big concern for most of us that commute by bike. So, a very expensive certainly will add to that stress.
Old 08-17-20, 12:37 PM
ericzamora
junior

Bikes: 2020 Surly ECR / 2018 Norco Search XR steel gravel bike with GRX / 1983 Bianchi Campione D'Italia / Gary Fisher Wingra / Motobecane Nomade mixte (daughter's)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
About a week later and the OP hasn't chimed in with any response. I had gems of wisdom to offer of course, NOW what will i do with my day???

eric/fresno, ca.
Old 08-17-20, 12:50 PM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by vgmightyp
Do you have time to ride?
Where are you going to ride? Central Park, 9W, pallisades, etc
Get the bike that's going to take you to the places you want to go and ride with the people you want to ride with.
Oh man, 25 years ago when my wife lived in NYC, we would ride out from Manhattan (she lived near Gramercy park) through Central Park, up 9w and finally, up Bear MTN. Would end up over 100 miles but you would get back to the city and have a HUGE meal and crash. Some of the happiest days of my life...
Old 08-17-20, 01:07 PM
fly135

Bikes: iZip E3 Peak DS, Magnum Metro, GT Tachyon, K2 Sidewinder

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 21 Posts
Last year I got into biking. I bought a weathered GT Tachyon for $160. I put another $150 or so into a bike stand, various bike tools, and parts. I now have a nice 25lb road bike for cheap, and the knowledge and tools to maintain it myself.
Old 08-17-20, 01:17 PM
bikejrff

Bikes: No. 22 Bicycle Great Divide, Lynskey R260, Salsa Colossal Ti, Litespeed T5, Lynskey Peloton, Bianchi Vigorelli, CAAD 10, Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, C-Dale Quick 1

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 18 Posts
My first road bike was a 2011 Trek Project One that I ordered new. A friend of mine now owns that bike.
Old 08-17-20, 02:25 PM
Scout1

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Don’t Pickle your Money, Spend it!

I been wanting to buy a new Road bike since February. From February through May I tried out Specialized Roubaix Sport, Trek Domane, Pinarello Gan, Cannondale Synapse and a Giant Defy. All the bikes were available with Shimano 105 chain sets, with prices ranging around $2000-$3000. When I finally made up my mind on the Roubaix Sport, the COVID stay home orders drove bike sales through the roof and I couldn’t find the bike in my size (54). Dealers were telling me it maybe next April before you can get one. Last week a local bike shop had a 54cm S-Works Roubaix for sale at $6000. I road it and a day later bought it. Is it an overkill for my needs as a causal rider at age 65? Probably! Nevertheless, it will last me 10 years and I can say without hesitation this bike is incredible!

Life is to short...
Likes For Scout1:
Old 08-17-20, 02:57 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,187 Posts
It's been 6 days since the OP posted and hasn't been back. You're talking to yourself.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 08-17-20, 04:36 PM
jjankie

Bikes: NOW: Trek Checkpoint ARL 4; PAST: Trek Boone 5 - stolen Nov 2019; Bianchi Volpe lost in MN River July 2014

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
Cheaper than therapy and a second girlfriend, better than a gym membership. Price on miles per smiles? Most here might have 5-10 + bikes. I have 9, just getting by.
YOU have NINE? Unreal.
Old 08-17-20, 06:11 PM
altondavis2

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Road bike, get a good frame and 105 components
Basically decide if you want aluminum or carbon.
Specialized, Trek or Giant all make good value bikes.
Old 08-17-20, 06:24 PM
Artmo 

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by wannabespeedy
Looking to pick up my first road bike. I'm upgrading from a Citibike membership and want something that's actually fast, which would make longer rides way more enjoyable. I'm also interested in Zwifting during the winter. I've biked for a long while but have always rented/owned cheap bikes and would like to make an investment. I would like something that isn't 50lbs and that I can actually ride on the road fast enough.... looking at a sick Diverge Comp which would be great for the rough tracks.

Am I crazy to want to buy a nicer bike with a budget of $2.5-3k as my first real bike? Should I start with something cheaper and work my way up? I feel like I know what I want out of a road bike and have had the opportunity to test different brands and frame sizes. I would be buying used locally and would try the bike out before purchase. My thoughts are that if I get a nicer bike initially I would save money down the road by not needing to upgrade, but is a $3000 bike built that much better than a $1500 bike?

This purchase would be just for fun, not commuting regularly. Worth investing in for savings down the line or should I initially go for less?
Go for less! Upgrade later when you know what you really need/want
Old 08-17-20, 10:48 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by laxpatrick
"Cheaper than a heart attack" is what I tell my wife...
I gotta remember that one the next time I'm thinking of buying a new bike and I'm getting some resistance from the other half.
Old 08-17-20, 11:00 PM
InvertedMP 

Bikes: 2021 Scott Addict RC 20

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 104 Posts
Not crazy at all. I spent 3500 on 2 bikes for myself (Scott Metrix 10 hybrid, and a Specialized Allez Elite road bike) as my first two bikes in decades. I then sold the Allez Elite after 3 months and built a Cervelo R3. If you have the money, do it!
Old 08-17-20, 11:15 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 227 Posts
If you watch closely to bike clubs that have "For Sale" pages on their website it's quite possible that you could score a used year or two year old bike that is in very good condition for a fraction of the cost new. Craig's List is also good but beware of stolen bikes. There are a lot of guys out there that are always looking for the newest, latest, greatest, bike and need to off load the current bike.
Likes For SpeedyBlueBiker:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.