Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Hoo-ray! Earliest sunset today.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Hoo-ray! Earliest sunset today.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-20, 12:10 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,802 Times in 2,286 Posts
Originally Posted by droppedandlost
I find this kind of thing fascinating. At the risk of derailleuring the thread, do you have any thoughts regarding something like the Hafele–Keating experiment?
I say we all ride bikes really fast eastward. Immortality!
I was told that riding a bike makes us immortal, as long as you keep the rubber side down.
Old 12-10-20, 01:58 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
Originally Posted by conspiratemus1
Yes, from mow until the summer solstice, the sun will be up in the evening a little longer every day. The shortest day is not until 21 Dec. but owing to the elliptical nature of the earth’s orbit, the apparent movement of the sun gets enough out of kilter with the clocks this time of year that the clock timing of sunrise, noon, and sunset gets shifted. By Christmas, you will notice the afternoon sun definitely lasting longer.

The downside for those who have to get up early is that latest sunrise doesn’t occur until about 10 Jan. So those post-New Year commutes make for awfully dark mornings.

This “time-shifting” has nothing to do with the seasons per se. It’s just the orientation of the ellipse happens to make the effect strongest in that portion of the orbit that we call December. “The equation of time.”​​​​​​
I heard Christmas was canceled.
Old 12-10-20, 02:25 PM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Like others have said, knowing that the morning light will be coming a bit earlier every day now is something to look forward to. Right now any little thing to look forward to is welcome, and for that I thank the OP.
I hate to harsh your mellow, but we're going to keep losing morning daylight for about another month--it's in the evening that we're making small gains.

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash
Old 12-10-20, 06:44 PM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by droppedandlost
I find this kind of thing fascinating. At the risk of derailleuring the thread, [good one! ] do you have any thoughts regarding something like the Hafele–Keating experiment?
I say we all ride bikes really fast eastward. Immortality!
This experiment testing time dilation in ordinary objects at ordinary speeds was published during my first-year physics course while we were learning about special relativity. There was some controversy about it at the time, as the Wiki page alludes to. The post-doc who was leading our tutorial group reminded us that to critique it, you had to know general relativity, too, which we wouldn’t get to until second year. But it was still cool to be discussing something topical, unsettled, and right up to the minute in an undergraduate course.

(There was a story at the time, perhaps invented, Albert Einstein was asked by a newspaperman, “Professor Einstein, is it true that only two people in the world understand your Theory of General Relativity?” Einstein paused...then, “I’m just trying to think who the other fellow might be.” Now they probably teach it in high school.)

My recollection is that the flight was taken, fittingly, in a then-new Pan Am 747, an iconic aircraft on an iconic airline. It is still the fastest subsonic airliner ever, and if you were going to fly around the world, Pan Am was the way to go.

Cycling even at our steadily declining speed keeps us young, so-what if not immortal.
Old 12-10-20, 11:25 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
Originally Posted by BFisher
Pics or it didn't happen. ...Is this still a bike forum?

Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 12-11-20, 07:41 PM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by conspiratemus1
Thanks for sharing this painful story, John.
I think the editor treated you in a detestably shabby manner. In no way did you deserve to be thrown under the bus publicly. The editor ought to have taken responsibility for your article at two occasions. First he should have done his own fact-checking before running it. Editors are supposed to have Rolodexes full of people they can call up for a second pair of eyes. Then he could have said, “Uh, John, I think you’re a little off base here...” and saved you both, and the magazine, a lot of embarrassment.

Second, he should have manned up about the critical letters and admitted that he made a mistake personally in running the article as written, without publicly humiliating you for it. There are face-saving ways to do this, even if it’s just the wishy-washy “Mistakes were made...”. But better would have been, “Yankee Magazine acknowledges responsibility and regrets its errors.”

Early in the pandemic, The Lancet ran an article that appeared to debunk anti-malarial drugs in treating Covid-19. Within days it was clear that the authors had invented their findings using imaginary data and the journal had to apologize to its readers for its negligence in editorial oversight. The findings were literally too good to be true. Sure, the study’s authors were bad guys but the journal didn’t get off the hook just by saying, “Oh, well, we got scammed, tra la, tra la...”. It goes to the heart of their scientific credibility and integrity.

I do hope your writing career recovered and thrived from that learning experience. (And here I’ll feel a little silly if you turn out to be a Pulitzer or Nobel winner unbeknownst to me.)

-Les
Thanks for taking my side, but really, it's okay. The New Yorker and other big magazines have fact-checking departments, but the middle-of-the-road magazines I used to write for didn't and don't (to the extent that any of those magazines still exist). You were on your own, and knew it. An editor might catch a big technical mistake, but more likely not. (Later, when I was an editor myself, I did catch a few things before they made it into print.) As far as being thrown under the bus goes, well, it was basically done in good humor. Even as the wheels were going over me, it struck me as a pretty good way to handle a deluge of angry letters.

Alas, I never did win a Nobel Prize, or even a Pulitzer. I think the equation of time debacle turned the prize committees against me. The closest I came was a Gold Award from the National Regional Publishers' Association for the best essay of 1995 (or thereabouts.) If I remember correctly, the award itself, which came to me in the mail, was hand-written with magic marker on a paper plate.

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash