Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-18, 12:19 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Another bad a** retro mod from ROS.
Thank you! We're in for a bunch of continuous rain up here, so all I can do is look at it and not ride it. Being under the weather has me not riding (or at work) either. I'll be wrenching on a few other bikes here in the mean time.
Old 11-26-18, 12:26 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7350 Post(s)
Liked 2,475 Times in 1,438 Posts
Yesterday, I changed the saddle for my wife on our tandem bike. That didn't work out well, so I reverted the saddle choice for her.

I changed my seatpost on the same bike. I discovered the seat angle is too slack, and my saddle was too far back. I installed a straight seatpost and installed a clamp "backwards" so I could get the saddle farther forward. Much improved.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-26-18, 12:36 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,388 Times in 3,673 Posts
Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
Thank you! We're in for a bunch of continuous rain up here, so all I can do is look at it and not ride it. Being under the weather has me not riding (or at work) either. I'll be wrenching on a few other bikes here in the mean time.
You're welcome, you've got a knack for this without a doubt, this one is especially smokin for me, not something I would have thought if we had just been talking about it.

Sounds like its time for chicken soup, zinc, vitamin C and an indoor test track/velodrome, hang in there.
Old 11-26-18, 01:49 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Originally Posted by merziac
You're welcome, you've got a knack for this without a doubt, this one is especially smokin for me, not something I would have thought if we had just been talking about it.

Sounds like its time for chicken soup, zinc, vitamin C and an indoor test track/velodrome, hang in there.
Thank you for the well-wishing. Rocking the Zicam, staying warm, and trying not to exert myself and induce any coughing, which is likely on the menu at some point. Though, if the track record of this illness is anything to go by, it may not be long in duration or extremity. That would be nice.

So far today, I've just sanded the right front canti post on my '90 Cannnondale ST so that the Tektro CR720 caliper/arm rotates smoothly when the retaining/mount bolt is fully tightened. This was after spending a good bit of time reducing the radius on the left front post as it was a good 0.1mm over the size of the other posts and was nigh impossible to get a canti caliper/arm on there, let alone rotate smoothly. With this taken care of, I can now remount a saddle and seat post, as well as a bar, stem, brake levers and cabling. The purpose is to test brake strength and squeal prone-ness. If all that is good, then the bike is cleared for a build up, which will necessitate drilling a larger hole into the frame at the shifter boss location--this frame has the original ones missing and I have replacements. This ST was originally slated for a full rain bike + touring/pannier ready duty, but due to various canti and V-brake setups not working (or squealing in an instant), the build was shelved for a quicker and proven rain bike build. If @Lascauxcaveman can have a red '91 ST with the same brakes, big tires (35mm), fenders, and all the touring-related mounts and bosses; well dang it, I can have a pretty blue one!
Old 11-26-18, 01:50 PM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 267 Posts
Decided I got a bit carried away upgrading my 66 Super Sport after the 2016 Clunker challenge. So, I Pulled Its derailleurs and the Campy Veloce triple off to use on other bikes.

I found a well used Shimano triple for cheap at our co-op. Also got a near new, long cage, 1st gen, Cyclone rear derailleur. Someone had completely eliminated its "B" screw mount & screw, so it was cheap like the crank.

While searching my cupboard for silver paint to dress up the crank, I saw a can of hammered copper leftover from a vintage saw restoration. Prominently labeled "Hides scratches and surface flaws". It was a good match to the coppertone paint of the SS. Just need a front DR and retape of the bars to be back in service. Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Shimano-Triple-2.jpg (1.03 MB, 473 views)
Shimano-Triple-1.jpg (961.1 KB, 467 views)
Shimano-Triple-4.jpg (1.48 MB, 470 views)
Shimano-Triple-5.jpg (1.20 MB, 461 views)
Old 11-26-18, 01:59 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,388 Times in 3,673 Posts
Thank you for the well-wishing. Rocking the Zicam, staying warm, and trying not to exert myself and induce any coughing, which is likely on the menu at some point. Though, if the track record of this illness is anything to go by, it may not be long in duration or extremity. That would be nice.

So far today, I've just sanded the right front canti post on my '90 Cannnondale ST so that the Tektro CR720 caliper/arm rotates smoothly when the retaining/mount bolt is fully tightened. This was after spending a good bit of time reducing the radius on the left front post as it was a good 0.1mm over the size of the other posts and was nigh impossible to get a canti caliper/arm on there, let alone rotate smoothly. With this taken care of, I can now remount a saddle and seat post, as well as a bar, stem, brake levers and cabling. The purpose is to test brake strength and squeal prone-ness. If all that is good, then the bike is cleared for a build up, which will necessitate drilling a larger hole into the frame at the shifter boss location--this frame has the original ones missing and I have replacements. This ST was originally slated for a full rain bike + touring/pannier ready duty, but due to various canti and V-brake setups not working (or squealing in an instant), the build was shelved for a quicker and proven rain bike build. If @Lascauxcaveman can have a red '91 ST with the same brakes, big tires (35mm), fenders, and all the touring-related mounts and bosses; well dang it, I can have a pretty blue one!
I have very good luck with the zinc and C if I use the lozenges of both and bathe the throat by alternating especially with cough /sore throat version of the crud.

Chicken soup always deployed whether it helps or not, usually does.
Old 11-26-18, 02:46 PM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
... If @Lascauxcaveman can have a red '91 ST with the same brakes, big tires (35mm), fenders, and all the touring-related mounts and bosses; well dang it, I can have a pretty blue one!
I know you got close enough to see for yourself, but I don't mind reminding you that the fit of those brakes on that C-dale of mine should probably be best described as 'adequate' and only by using the narrow (20mm) rims I have on there. So, while the build lives up to my standards, I'm not sure it if meets yours

Originally Posted by ollo_ollo
...While searching my cupboard for silver paint to dress up the crank, I saw a can of hammered copper leftover from a vintage saw restoration. Prominently labeled "Hides scratches and surface flaws". It was a good match to the coppertone paint of the SS... Don
Pics make it look like a good match indeed. Be interesting to see how it wears over time. I guess it'd be easy enough just to spray a fresh coat on every couple years, if needed.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Last edited by Lascauxcaveman; 11-26-18 at 02:55 PM.
Old 11-26-18, 03:11 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
Originally Posted by ollo_ollo
Decided I got a bit carried away upgrading my 66 Super Sport after the 2016 Clunker challenge. So, I Pulled Its derailleurs and the Campy Veloce triple off to use on other bikes.

I found a well used Shimano triple for cheap at our co-op. Also got a near new, long cage, 1st gen, Cyclone rear derailleur. Someone had completely eliminated its "B" screw mount & screw, so it was cheap like the crank.

While searching my cupboard for silver paint to dress up the crank, I saw a can of hammered copper leftover from a vintage saw restoration. Prominently labeled "Hides scratches and surface flaws". It was a good match to the coppertone paint of the SS. Just need a front DR and retape of the bars to be back in service. Don

That hammered copper is so cool! I'm going to have to find a way to factor that into one of my upcoming builds. Can you tell me what brand you used?

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.

USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!
Old 11-26-18, 03:16 PM
ollo_ollo

It was Rustoleum, and several years on the shelf since I had last used it on the 1952 Comet Radial arm saw. Well aged, but seemed normal to use. You can put it on fairly heavy. Thicker the better to hide flaws. Don
Old 11-26-18, 03:23 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts

Found it! I hope you don't mind, but I think I'm going to copy your crank treatment on my "art bike / patina preservation project" 1949 Raleigh Clubman.

This has hammered aluminum fenders that are powder-coated copper, and I'm going to paint a black border around the outside of those.

Then I'll paint the crankarms hammered copper, with a black chainring for a visual echo effect.

This will look either stunning or stupid; hopefully the former. The best part is that I can reverse it if it's not what I wanted.

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.

USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!
Old 11-26-18, 03:34 PM
ollo_ollo

I think "Stunning" will be the results, so have at it. Mine turned out way better than expected. It just naturally follows from Shimano's combination of shiny metal chainrings with painted arms. Don
Old 11-26-18, 07:59 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman
I know you got close enough to see for yourself, but I don't mind reminding you that the fit of those brakes on that C-dale of mine should probably be best described as 'adequate' and only by using the narrow (20mm) rims I have on there. So, while the build lives up to my standards, I'm not sure it if meets yours

I didn't actually look at it closely and I wish I had, but that was a year and a half ago. I've saved your picture of it (from the "Flagship" thread) to my desk top and have used it has hope and reference for my '90 ST's build. You're running 35mm tires, correct? Or are they 32mm? I just got done putting the actual 700C wheels onto it and the rims are 23.5mm wide. Surprisingly, the brake pads line up well and I still have some vertical slot movement available, as well as some angle/pitch. The front has less adjustment available, but if it fits it fits and that's what counts. I want to use 35mm tires but there are a few challenges to overcome:

1) The steerer under the fork crown area has an oddly tight radius which interferes with the ability of a fender to be snugged up tightly against the underside of the fork crown. It appears you don't have this issue as your fork is a traditional and fully sloping design unlike my why-did-they-do-this unicrown fork. I can file away these fang-like extensions without impacting the structural integrity of the fork, but will try to fit a 35mm tire and fender initially. My 28mm Continental tires in the pictures are actually 29-30mm (vertically) and my 35mm Paselas on 20mm rims measure 32-33mm (vertically), so the situation is not as challenging as it could be.

2) The chain stay reinforcement bridge is surprisingly close to the tire--close enough that I will likely mount the rear fender on the front side of the bridge instead of the back side. If I mount it as per tradition, it's going to be a very tight squeeze. Thankfully I don't have horizontal dropouts to contend with.

Old 11-27-18, 01:50 AM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
I didn't actually look at it closely and I wish I had, but that was a year and a half ago. I've saved your picture of it (from the "Flagship" thread) to my desk top and have used it has hope and reference for my '90 ST's build. You're running 35mm tires, correct? Or are they 32mm? I just got done putting the actual 700C wheels onto it and the rims are 23.5mm wide. Surprisingly, the brake pads line up well and I still have some vertical slot movement available, as well as some angle/pitch. The front has less adjustment available, but if it fits it fits and that's what counts. I want to use 35mm tires but there are a few challenges to overcome:

1) The steerer under the fork crown area has an oddly tight radius which interferes with the ability of a fender to be snugged up tightly against the underside of the fork crown. It appears you don't have this issue as your fork is a traditional and fully sloping design unlike my why-did-they-do-this unicrown fork. I can file away these fang-like extensions without impacting the structural integrity of the fork, but will try to fit a 35mm tire and fender initially. My 28mm Continental tires in the pictures are actually 29-30mm (vertically) and my 35mm Paselas on 20mm rims measure 32-33mm (vertically), so the situation is not as challenging as it could be.
First off: suffice to say our forks are not comparable. (I'd forgotten yours was a unicrown model - you sure your bike is a 1990?) I'm guessing your canti posts are a wee bit further apart than mine, but you also appear to have slightly lower profile brake pads, which makes a difference. My tires are indeed 35mm Paselas which I think measure 34 or 35mm the way they are currently mounted. Supposedly a little 'too wide' for those skinny rims, but they are a solid, tight fit on the rim and I run them pretty hard (70-75psi) and they handle just fine, even cornering fairly hard during very fast descents. That bike is freight train, no doubt about it; nothing really compares! As to your fork construction with the steer tube that extends way past the bottom of the unicrown, yeah, that should be easy to grind off and make room for fenders. But if those are 28mm tires in your pics, then I don't see how you're going to do it with 35mm tires.

2) The chain stay reinforcement bridge is surprisingly close to the tire--close enough that I will likely mount the rear fender on the front side of the bridge instead of the back side.
Another place where our bikes don't spec out the same. On mine the fender fits just fine with a 35mm tire. It was an easy mount, with the thin plastic rear fender having a little spring clip on the forward facing surface, so it just snaps onto the little reinforcement crossmember. About 1/4" of clearance at that point, which is snug but not unreasonable, IMO:

● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Last edited by Lascauxcaveman; 11-27-18 at 11:02 AM.
Old 11-27-18, 01:34 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman
First off: suffice to say our forks are not comparable. (I'd forgotten yours was a unicrown model - you sure your bike is a 1990?) I'm guessing your canti posts are a wee bit further apart than mine, but you also appear to have slightly lower profile brake pads, which makes a difference. My tires are indeed 35mm Paselas which I think measure 34 or 35mm the way they are currently mounted. Supposedly a little 'too wide' for those skinny rims, but they are a solid, tight fit on the rim and I run them pretty hard (70-75psi) and they handle just fine, even cornering fairly hard during very fast descents. That bike is freight train, no doubt about it; nothing really compares! As to your fork construction with the steer tube that extends way past the bottom of the unicrown, yeah, that should be easy to grind off and make room for fenders. But if those are 28mm tires in your pics, then I don't see how you're going to do it with 35mm tires.

Another place where our bikes don't spec out the same. On mine the fender fits just fine with a 35mm tire. It was an easy mount, with the thin plastic rear fender having a little spring clip on the forward facing surface, so it just snaps onto the little reinforcement crossmember. About 1/4" of clearance at that point, which is snug but not unreasonable, IMO:

The color, graphics, and serial number all nail it down as a 1990. 1991 saw extra graphics added, and 1989 had a different top tube font (thicker letters). In 1990, Cannondale offered a SH600 and SH400, 700C hybrids that came in the same sizes as the STs (minus a 27"/68cm frame offering). The geometry was very very close to the STs, and they had unicrown forks. I wonder if this was a case of "we ran out of normal forks, chuck a unicrown on there!" The paint is exactly the same, and quite nice. The unicrown fork works with the big tube aesthetic, so while I may be sad about a non-normal fork, it at least isn't incongruent visually. I have my 35mm Paselas mounted on my butched-up '74 Paramount and those are too-skinny rims. Like yours, they mount well and feel stable in corners. Our canti posts may indeed be differently spaced, though that didn't stop one of the posts from seeming like it was mounted a few mm too high, dashing my hopes of employing XTR V-brakes!

Your gap there for the rear tire and chain stay bridge looks very close to mine, or what mine would look like clearance-wise with 35mm tires. Snug, but a gap is a gap! The front fork will be...close...with 35mm tires, but I think I can squeak it in. I'll have 32mm tires on there at least. Can't wait to ride the freight train. I'll probably kick this out to a build thread as I've had to put new shifter bosses and other things on this bike. Need also to hunt for another pair of 35s.
Old 11-27-18, 02:04 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
Not bike related and not exactly wrenching. For the past two mornings I have been sawing up copper gutters and downspouts that were removed from my neighbor's house so that he could fit them into his CRV and take them to a recycler. I broke my heart to do it, but the gutters were old and beaten up; and after all, it is his house.

He was going to cut them up with a hack saw and tin snips, so I stepped in with a reciprocating saw. I was able to salvage all of the copper gutter spikes and ferrules for my own gutters however, and he's going to buy me lunch tomorrow.
Old 11-27-18, 03:00 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
On a ride today my rear wheel needed tightening when it pulled to the left as a result of my humoungus power. Or perhaps i had under tightened the wheel nut. I walked to a walgreens and bought a cresent wrench. The ride was breezy.
Old 11-27-18, 04:13 PM
eom 
Eccentric Old Man

Bikes: 1986 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1979 Schwinn Traveler III, Trek T100, 1995 Trek 970, Fuji America

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 87 Posts
Winter/fender build, mostly items from the parts bin.

Came with a Wheelsmith built rear wheel,nice STX hub laced to a Cowpie rim. Big hop but paid for.

Was mostly primer gray when I started the acetone rubdown.

FD was undersize, so no paint left in that area. Reflective tape hides a lot.

Loaded up some cone wrenches and bearings this morning and rode over to my brother in-law's house for a 6:30 am service call.
A Bucket Boss Jr. fits just right in a Wald 137 basket.

Old 11-27-18, 05:14 PM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts

I finally finished the refurb on this Miyata 1200. I was waiting on the leather look bar tape I ordered from E bay that took about 2 months to come from Thailand by canoe.
This baby is top drawer all the way from the Superbe brakes and derailleurs to the AT crank and Aero seat post, Cinelli bars and Mavic rims. the saddle even has a built in blinkie .

Now it goes back to the silicon Valley Bicycle exchange where I hope it fetches a price commensurate with it's value.
Old 11-28-18, 07:57 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 241 Posts
I finally finished up a complete overhaul of this mid '80s Basso I picked up this summer. It is too small for me so I will pass it along next Spring.
BTW, the three file cabinets it is leaning up against are filled with bike parts.

Old 11-28-18, 08:39 PM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 122 Posts
Just finished building up my Cannondale M500 frame a few days ago, but when I went to mount water bottles, I found some pretty severe galvanic corrosion in the downtube. Drat.

Good thing I got the frame on the cheap. As I'm already prepping my other bikes for use this coming year, I'm gonna strip the parts and see if my daughter wants to build up the yellow Giant for herself. That's the bike that I found at a thrift store for $20, with LX parts... which went to build my single speed Bridgestone "Ramp Rat".

I think it'd be a great Dad/Daughter project. Of course, at her age, just about everything is lame... but I can give it a shot anyway.
Old 12-01-18, 01:53 PM
tyler_fred

Bikes: American, Italian, and Japanese.. in no particular order.

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 128 Posts

PolyU clearcoating on this chilly 79 degree day.
Old 12-02-18, 11:26 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by jim dandy
Winter Project is coming along well ...
JD

1986 Alan Record Carbonio.
gonna need 3 bottle holders.
Old 12-02-18, 07:52 PM
Freqman1

Bikes: Bunches

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Just tore down my '41 Schwinn Autocycle and will carry the paint parts home for Christmas. My dad says he's bored and needs something to paint. While he's doing that one I'll start on the '38 Motorbike. V/r Shawn
Old 12-02-18, 08:17 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

I've been wrenching on a bike for a friend of my family's (they work with her). She had unfortunately forgot that she had her very nice 58cm carbon Trek 5200 (9-speed Ultegra so circa 2000 or so) on top of her car and the high-fiving with the garage/house did not go well. So we found a slightly smaller (she had complained of being a little stretched out) Planet-X RT-80 carbon road frameset (SUPER light!) and she drove up from PDX to have me swap parts as she would be taking it on a Christmas and extended vacation to ride. She had been wanting to parts swap for a while, ever since the accident months ago, but had never got around to seeing how it could be done. My mom suggested me, and here we are. I couldn't get the frame done in time, and the woman I was doing this for needed to get back to PDX before she fell asleep (had been tired from the day before), so the bike is with me and I plan on finishing it up by tomorrow. The accident threw us a few curve balls but everything is transferring over well. A new shorter stem, compact drop bars, and 9-speed shifters (her 9-speed Ultegra STIs were missing shifts) will go a very long way in having her fit the bike much better and more comfortably. She's excited about it (great!) and I'm excited to help someone get back on their bike and have their biking experience be (hopefully) better than before!

I gotta finish up my 1990 Cannondale ST400 though. Thankfully we have a long (COLD!) dry spell coming up so I can just ride pretty bikes, albeit with gloves. The Cannondale is shaping up quite nicely.
Old 12-04-18, 05:27 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 601 Posts
Mocked-up some parts on my revised dropbar project.

IMG_6254 by 2cam16, on Flickr

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.