Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Where Did Your Hybrid Take You Today?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Where Did Your Hybrid Take You Today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-10, 11:54 AM
javal

Bikes: Monark sportser 1970, Monark sportser 1970ish, Monark folder, Mustand 1985, Monark Tempo 1999, Monark 318 1975, Crescent 319 1979, Crescent 325 c:a 1965, Crescent Starren 2002 (hybrid/sport), Nordstjernan 1960`s cruiser.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Still winter. But raising degrees during miday keeps the road fairly ice free. In these conditions the hybrid is a superior choice if you want to speed it up! ...and a pic of the bike doing the stuff!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P1231227.jpg (99.9 KB, 44 views)
P1231226.jpg (96.5 KB, 46 views)
PB151048.jpg (97.5 KB, 77 views)
Old 01-23-10, 06:56 PM
kh6idf

Bikes: Cervelo RS

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
28 miles today around Friendswood and Pearland, TX. 73 degrees, almost feeling a bit warm already. I think 65-70 degrees is the perfect riding temperature for me.
Is anyone else using this crossingways.com site? I carry my mobile phone running "gps cycle computer" in my back jersey pocket and it takes gps readings every minute, then I upload the gpx file to crossingways. I can also set it to show live, my dad was watching last weekend while I was riding and he could see me in real time on the map.

https://www.crossingways.com/Track/Fr...3_2010_9770.en

Last edited by kh6idf; 01-23-10 at 09:06 PM.
Old 01-28-10, 09:34 PM
Chris_in_Miami
missing in action

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 29 Posts
I did a solo ride on Saturday in the Florida Everglades, 27 miles of unpaved levee. I'm probably going to get a bike with a suspension before I do that again, even these vultures thought I was a fool...

Old 01-30-10, 12:04 PM
mikeybikes

Bikes: Tons

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ended up in the Highland neighborhood of Denver yesterday, and decided to cut through downtown instead of going around it. They built this new bridge over the Interstate-25 I thought I would hop on. Get to the other side (the downtown side), and find this weird piece of art:

Just wtf is that supposed to be?

Nice bridge though. The downtown side has this spirally ramp that's fun to go down all fast like.
Old 01-30-10, 12:12 PM
mikeybikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bjjoondo
I've been down that way before, not by bike. I have a friend who is all into trains and trolleys and stuff. Pretty neat to see the old street cars.

Its really sad that neither Denver nor Colorado Springs has the huge network of streetcars that both cities used to have.
Old 01-30-10, 01:30 PM
wrafl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rode around the neighborhood and did 11.2 miles in this frigid weather, 19* at start and 21* when I pulled on the driveway. First ride in sub 20* temp ever. The key to riding is to put layers of clothing, used old wool socks over my full finger insulated gloves and go. It was sunny this morning so I thought I'd take a chance to ride. I don't usually ride in the winter month's (Dec - Feb) but I thought I'll try this for the new decade.
Old 01-30-10, 07:54 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeFor
Those roadies might as well be laughing at their good fortune of just being there on that fine day.

Great job sampling Maryland's wealth of trails.

"You've done us proud, son"
I rode the East Coast Greenway again today
Old 01-30-10, 08:33 PM
bjjoondo 

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by mikeshoup
I've been down that way before, not by bike. I have a friend who is all into trains and trolleys and stuff. Pretty neat to see the old street cars.

Its really sad that neither Denver nor Colorado Springs has the huge network of streetcars that both cities used to have.
Howdy, you'll be happy to know that there "thinking" seriously of bringing the "trolley's of some sort back to Colorado Springs! Big meetings going on at the moment, haven't heard what the outcome was! FYI.

Old 01-30-10, 10:32 PM
Chris_in_Miami
missing in action

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 29 Posts
Looks like some sort of monument to sausages. Freud would have a field day.

Originally Posted by mikeshoup
Ended up in the Highland neighborhood of Denver yesterday, and decided to cut through downtown instead of going around it. They built this new bridge over the Interstate-25 I thought I would hop on. Get to the other side (the downtown side), and find this weird piece of art:

Just wtf is that supposed to be?

Nice bridge though. The downtown side has this spirally ramp that's fun to go down all fast like.
Old 01-31-10, 04:01 PM
Panthers007
Great State of Varmint

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by qmsdc15
I rode the East Coast Greenway again today

I hope that's a thermos in that bottle-holder - full of hot chicken-broth! Yow!
Old 01-31-10, 04:41 PM
bjjoondo 

17 miles, on rail-trails, thru city park, round about the town with the wife, not even 40F, filtered sunshine, although it did finally get sunny as we headed home and made the days supposed high temp of 42F from 3-4PM. Stopped at a little corner store for a piece of homemade choc. cake, YUM! 203 miles for the month of Jan. on the "frankenbrid", a LOT more miles/hours on the trainer, hope it start's going the other way soon!

Old 01-31-10, 08:14 PM
mikeybikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Howdy, you'll be happy to know that there "thinking" seriously of bringing the "trolley's of some sort back to Colorado Springs! Big meetings going on at the moment, haven't heard what the outcome was! FYI.
I've heard about that. There's also talk in Denver as well, specifically down Colfax Ave.

It would be great to see street cars back in town.
Old 03-08-10, 08:26 PM
cc_rider
Calamari to go

Bikes: Trek 750

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First ride of the season.
25 miles. Arlington VA to Eastern Market DC
Ride report is on my link below, and photos are in the "K Street" thread in the Southeast regional forum.
Old 03-09-10, 04:32 AM
katcorot

Bikes: 2013 Surly Big Dummy, 2008 Giant Rincon, 1980's Raleigh Century, 1970's Apollo Deelite

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Took an old broken printer down to the recycle center.

Printer 001.jpg
Old 03-09-10, 09:52 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Can't believe the amount of snow the right coast is getting... we are supposed to get a little toouch of the stuff today and then the forecast is for more unseasonaly warm temps.

Our snow is vanishing and our roads are clear and dry.
Old 03-09-10, 03:36 PM
bjjoondo 

The bike took me from the shop to home, after getting, my new Shimano Deore triple crank/chainwheel set installed, along with a new Sram 8 speed casette and chain so the "frankenbrid" has a new drivetrain! You can actually feel how much "stiffer" the new crankset is over the OEM set that came with the bike (Suntour). It's a nice upgrade and will make a enjoyable bike even more so, jmho. Of course the clouds chased me home from the bicycle shop, there talking about SNOW tonight, rats!

Old 03-09-10, 04:54 PM
cc_rider
Calamari to go

Bikes: Trek 750

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
...getting, my new Shimano Deore triple crank/chainwheel set installed...!
That's the same upgrade I had done last week. Felt good. The new bottom bracket is much smoother than my old one. Didn't notice any difference in speed (44T instead of 42T) but I'll watch my averages over the year and see if there is a difference.
Old 03-09-10, 08:41 PM
Panthers007
Great State of Varmint

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
It was night & day when I upgraded to Ultegra triple - 53 - 39 - 30T from the stock cranks that came with my Trek 7.5 FX, 48 - 36 - 26T M443 Octalink. Much smoother and the better transfer of energy were very notable. I like these external bottom-brackets.

Good luck with yours Deore's! Those are nice.
Old 03-09-10, 10:57 PM
dawes56

Bikes: dawes, schwinn, kona

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Finally the planets aligned and I was able to squeeze in a ride today. Being retired, you would think I would have all the time in the world.. but the list of things I need to do just keeps getting longer. Anyway, first ride since Feb 1, after all the snow in Feb, and the crud filled roads and blocked MUTs, everything is clean now. Nearly 50, sunny, light breeze, and a whopping 13 glorious miles on the MUT around BWI airport (Baltimore - Actually Glen Burnie). I will possibly do it again tomorrow before the rain moves in for the next 4 days. Daylight Savings Times starts Sunday...Spring in a couple weeks!

Pete

Pete
Old 03-17-10, 02:58 PM
bjjoondo 

Did 27 miles of "errands" today, a nice day with a still chilly wind as it's March but was able to bail the ear covers, jacket and full fingered gloves by mid-day! The photo is on the "low bridge" of the Pikes Peak Greenway Trail in Co. Spgs. CO., (sorry for the crummy photo it's my cheapie cellphone camera).

Old 03-17-10, 03:07 PM
bjjoondo 

Originally Posted by cc_rider
That's the same upgrade I had done last week. Felt good. The new bottom bracket is much smoother than my old one. Didn't notice any difference in speed (44T instead of 42T) but I'll watch my averages over the year and see if there is a difference.
Yep, much smoother, the difference I noticed is that I used to be able to "cruz" easy on rollers (little up and down hill's) on the large chain wheel on the 3rd. cog. Now it's seem a bit tough on the new 44T than on the 42T so I'm going to have to "man up" (lol) the speed I guess or use "middle chain ring 5th. cog" more for that type of terrain. Panther's "53T large chainwheel", OUCH, I can feel my old, arthritic knees screaming at me now! I was thinking of having the 44 change to a 46T but not for a while now!

Old 03-17-10, 05:14 PM
wrafl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went to my usual summer ride path today. It was a gorgeous day with plenty of sunshine but I started late so I only managed 36 miles.
Old 03-18-10, 05:23 PM
bjjoondo 

today's 33+ mile ride was my first with the Colorado Springs Cycling Club (CSCC), since 2005. It was a tough one as they set a pace a bit faster than my normal and they took us up and over this unreal 4 stage HILL!! Man it was a killer, the only thing that didn't make me feel to bad, that I had to get off and walk the bike a bit was I made it farther than most of the group before I started walking the last steep incline before the top! Not bad for the guy with the least amount of "conditioning" and the "heaviest bicycle" It was nice to ride in a group again, it's been 5 years.

This group is kinda neat as it's a Thursday ride, called the Old Pharts Ride, most the guys and gal's are retired and older, LOL, at 54, I might be the "baby of the group"! Well it's supposed to "Winter Storm" tonight, Friday and Saturday so it was great to get a "taste" of Spring for a few days!

Old 03-20-10, 01:27 PM
Surfindixon
Vegetable Rights!

Bikes: Cube Nature 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep, much smoother, the difference I noticed is that I used to be able to "cruz" easy on rollers (little up and down hill's) on the large chain wheel on the 3rd. cog. Now it's seem a bit tough on the new 44T than on the 42T so I'm going to have to "man up" (lol) the speed I guess or use "middle chain ring 5th. cog" more for that type of terrain. Panther's "53T large chainwheel", OUCH, I can feel my old, arthritic knees screaming at me now! I was thinking of having the 44 change to a 46T but not for a while now!
Deore cranks are great. Have been using the 48\36\26 config for over a year now. I think this years unit is lighter with an alloy middle ring instead of a steel. I managed about 2500 miles out of the Deore BB cups then sourced the XT cups as a replacement. They lasted in excess of 6000 miles. They are nearly twice the price of the Deore cups but sometimes the XT cups are on deal.

I was looking to replace all the rings and actually found that it was cheaper to buy an OEM Deore (sans cups) than source all three rings. Economics of madness.

Best thing about the Deore external units is their ease of maintenance.

Enjoy!

Today I took my Hybrid (Cube Nature 2009) East along the Clyde Valley then along the Forth and Clyde canal for a bit before zipping back along the river Kelvin. Passed through Glasgow city centre then cycled on up to Strathaven. 70+ miles. Beautiful spring day and perfect conditions. Magic!
Old 03-22-10, 10:53 PM
Cyclepup

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Today my Allant took me to the supermarket and, later, to the local recycle center for a day's total of 27.9 miles. My first long (to me) ride on this bike and it felt perfect!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.