Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Old Bottom Bracket shell ID - from strange clean out

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old Bottom Bracket shell ID - from strange clean out

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-20, 04:41 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by ramzilla
omg!.......wow! ,,,,,, (and i thought i had problems).
+1
Old 06-27-20, 05:39 PM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
I'm really glad to see the containers weren't all really mayonnaise jars -- who could ingest that amount of mayonnaise (and stay sane)? I mean, I like it, but a jar lasts way too long in this family at best! Always at least half left when the expiry date was a year ago.
Old 06-28-20, 01:13 AM
barnfind

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Charles Wahl
I'm really glad to see the containers weren't all really mayonnaise jars -- who could ingest that amount of mayonnaise (and stay sane)? I mean, I like it, but a jar lasts way too long in this family at best! Always at least half left when the expiry date was a year ago.
They aren't 'all' mayonnaise jars but there's still a ton of them. Of course, it may represent a families life time consumption of mayonnaise?
Unless he came across a source for empty jars somewhere?
(When I was a kid, my grandmother worked for a catering company and restaurant for years, she brought home ever 1 gallon or larger jar they used in the kitchen). When she died we found hundreds of jars full of pennies in the basement all in huge pickle jars and glass water cooler jugs. It took four trips with my work van at the time to haul them away. I still have a few filled with steel pennies from during the war that she saved.

Finding old jars used as parts containers is common, there's usually just not so many of them in one place. Its the first time I saw someone had cut up thousands of inner tubes to make their own rubber bands. I have seen new tubes rapped in cut pieces of inner tube before, so I figure that's where he got the idea.

Give most people a reason and they'll hoard or save just about anything, apparently the thing to hoard now is toilet paper.
Old 06-28-20, 06:56 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
I felt sure that "477" was a typo(?).

Are the rubber bands still good???

477 jars wouldn't take hours. It would require rest days.
Maybe there was a paper cutter involved

Likes For seedsbelize:
Old 06-28-20, 07:19 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Also, my dad, who would be 97 now, never passed up the opportunity to cut up a larger, car or truck-sized inner tube. I remember, in the early 90s, we were at a farm auction together and he was so excited to find a truck inner tube on the ground. He told me they had become quite rare since the introduction of tubeless tires. He always kept a few in the trunk of the car, and had another stash in the garage and in the basement. I have a few here, that I inherited from him. And, now that I think about it, I had a friend who was a contemporary of my dad, who had an even larger stash. He once assembled the entire rigging of a home built sailboat with these home made bungies. Different times.

Old 06-29-20, 06:05 AM
barnfind

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 31 Posts
My grandfather was like that, he threw away nothing, he saved everything 'just in case'. Even old paint cans, he'd clean them out and used them to keep things in under his work bench. He also made tie downs with old tubes, but only big tubes. Bike tubes are too thin for much else than rubber bands. He never cut up 400+ jars worth of them though.
I spent yesterday sorting through boxes and parts, I got the one trailer almost empty, but my basement and screen room are full. I took the new parts into the basement, where I've got cabinets to sort them all into with parts I've already got. Yesterday produced a lot of trash though, I probably tossed as much as I saved. used rusty bearings, rusty spokes, wrecked saddles, bent seat posts etc. But the good far outweighed the junk. My trash cans are filled to the top and I filled four barrels with just scrap.
I did find the majority of a 1952 Schwinn Tourist, Stainless rims, stainless fenders, AW hub, etc. It's frame is fillet brazed on all joints, and its a good bit lighter than a mid 50's Traveler in the lot. There was also a '49 New World but that already found a new home, along with all the early Varsity models.
I picked up a stainless parts wash tank off CL cheap, its on wheels and can be left outdoors. I'll use that to wash stuff like chains and the really encrusted parts, most likely with old gas. When the gas gets too dirty, I'll just drain it into jugs and get rid of it. A buddy can burn it in his waste oil furnace.

I have a pile of chains in there now, and a few old hubs that were full of petrified grease.
A buddy of mine who only messes with old BMX has been helping dig through some of this stuff, I think he wants to make sure he has first dibs on anything BMX.
So far there's only been a few wheels, a half dozen blue tires, some freestyle accessories, and a few double clamp stems.
He's volunteered to do the parts cleaning since I let him take the BMX stuff. Wait till he sees all the barrels of chain.

So far I've counted 319 seat posts, but only a few dozen saddles, I counted 207 various stems, but only 23 pairs of handle bars. Most of the bars are aluminum, with most being from England and France. There's also far fewer cranksets vs. bike frames.
One of my helpers from last week said one of his sons said he never scrapped anything, he buried it in his garden because he believed that rust did the plants good. I didn't hear that myself but we were split up in different areas of the house while moving this stuff. Maybe he buried the handle bars and cranks in the yard.
I did find a new old stock pair of 26" Schwinn S7 rims, and a couple of pair of 27" Dunlop rims, likely from a later Sprite or older road bike.

There's a couple of Bendix two speed hubs and at least two New Departure Twin Streak hubs too.

Old 07-23-20, 04:12 PM
brewerkz 

Bikes: '85 Schwinn Madison, '46 Higgins Ultralite, 1950s Wally Green, '85 Trek 660, '82 3Rensho Export, '90 Trek 970, '91 Schwinn Paramount, '78 Dawes, '78 Trek 730

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 108 Posts
Is the bottom bracket a threadless model ? Looking for one