Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bike hoarding was the sensible buyer behavior

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bike hoarding was the sensible buyer behavior

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-20, 12:07 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,182 Times in 1,184 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Hmmm, maybe I need one....

RT,
Based on your collection and "needs", you may want 2, one in a medium and small size frame.
Best, Ben
BTW, when you get PM's how long for a response?

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 12-29-20, 01:37 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by xiaoman1
Understand about the Vair much underappreciated much like the TRI-A....missed the marketing hype of the I.M.

If you didn't like Turbos...maybe this would solve the issue.

Not mine but I have had both variants....no T-lag with Webers, but no whoosh and jolt either!
Buy what you like, cheeseburger or salad....if that makes you happy the "investment" and your enjoyment are all that counts, in the end, remember you can't take it with you and as others have said, sometimes giving is better than receiving.
Best, Ben
those intake manifolds were not around in 1977.
I looked for true Corsa heads... nope, well not cheap. Kurt's Corvair in Sun Valley Ca had them $$$
There was an article I found on adding a second intake port. set that aside. California and NOx regs.
Was good learning. I did go over .060 and 9.25:1 compression.
the fanbelt was a routine maint item. I had my tool set up and things worked so I could change it in 5 minutes.

Next vehicle was new.
Old 12-29-20, 02:10 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts

Believe me, sometimes giving stuff away has a far greater profit margin.
Amen, Brother.
Old 12-29-20, 02:41 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3891 Post(s)
Liked 6,491 Times in 3,213 Posts
Getting back to the op's question...

I have two too many, but I just can't rid anything right now. Gonna wait till I really need some funds ... or buy another keeper.

If I did rid something, it might be one I've been bragging about, and how would that look? I saw someone here recently that started a long thread about this great new build he had been dying for... And then I recently saw it on craigs. And it's not pretty. I mean ...

Old 12-29-20, 05:29 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,703 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
This year, finding a bike in my size with the features I might seek is nearly impossible.

So, if hoarding was smart then, is selling smart now?
If your question is 'are people looking for the bikes you have' then, yes, selling is smart. If you want to sell your stuff.

I haven't gotten there yet.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 12-29-20, 06:02 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
And I’ve paid to see that, my friend!

What you need is a guy like yourself.
Not gonna happen. Special mold there, Mike.
I used to think that my interest and opinions are distinct. Not so. I recently made acquaintance with an American my approximate age living in Italy. Recently married to an Italian native, enjoys cycling, skiing, drives an ALFA Romeo. When I needed someone to act as my agent since my daughter couldn't travel, I didn't hesitate to ask. He not only had all the business and language skills needed, he enjoyed helping me complete a once in a lifetime transaction. I can count several similar acquaintances, you have to know the global situation.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 12-29-20 at 06:15 PM.
Old 12-29-20, 06:10 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2339 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,545 Posts
I know of at least one bike in Barrettscv collection that I have seen, is my size, does not meet his move to italy specifications, is special and will tempt the hell out of me

Old 12-29-20, 06:11 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
I know of at least one bike in Barrettscv collection that I have seen, is my size, does not meet his move to italy specifications, is special and will tempt the hell out of me
Name your price. Considering the bond, it's yours for the asking.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 01-04-21, 08:49 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
Originally Posted by xiaoman1
RT,
Based on your collection and "needs", you may want 2, one in a medium and small size frame.
Best, Ben
BTW, when you get PM's how long for a response?
I travel between two domiciles, and basically, my time at each is dictated to me, long before I get there.
(Like going to the gym at 6 am this morning to be thoroughly thrashed by a personal trainer that was an Amazon in a previous life)
I actually now know where that 650c fork is, and I've put the note in my phone, which is ultimately more powerful than my memory.
Old 01-04-21, 12:58 PM
wbc4406

Bikes: '21 Litespeed Cherohala; '12 Felt Dispatch; '85 Fuji Club Sport; '86 Cannondale Chameleon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cudak888
Are you enjoying the hobby?
  • Yes
  • No
The answer you choose will answer your question.

-Kurt
Very philosophical.
Contemplate this, I will.
Likes For wbc4406: