Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

The Helmet Thread 2

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.
View Poll Results: What Are Your Helmet Wearing Habits?
I've never worn a bike helmet
10.40%
I used to wear a helmet, but have stopped
4.80%
I've always worn a helmet
41.60%
I didn't wear a helmet, but now do
25.20%
I sometimes wear a helmet depending on the conditions
18.00%
Voters: 500. You may not vote on this poll

The Helmet Thread 2

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-14, 09:09 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Yes, You have a point, BUT, "My helmet saved my life" can have many meanings...
1; It actually saved a life. (maybe)
2; It saved some major trauma. (maybe)
3; It saved some injury. (probably)
4; It saved some lumps. (almost certainly)
5; It saved some skin rash. (certainly)

People who have crashed do have a tendency to maybe put more into how the helmet helped, but... Just because a helmet isn't as good as most people think... Saying one doesn't need to wear one is just not right. One should always say (I am willing to take the chance) not that it just isn't worth it because nothing is going to happen and it won't save me from major trauma anyways. JMO

EDIT; Like I said, if (so I'm willing to take the chance) just like when walking, jogging, taking a shower was in every non-helmet wearers vocabulary, this thread would disappear... But that's not what I see, I see statements like, it's useless, can cause an increase in injuries.. JMO

Last edited by 350htrr; 12-18-14 at 10:44 PM.
Old 12-18-14, 10:17 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Six jours
Originally Posted by njkayaker
Who is claiming that helmets are "adequate protect" against extreme collisions?
Wphamilton, in the post to which I was responding, which you then attacked. Don't you think it would be a good idea to read before responding?

Nope. I mainly refuted the claim that helmets can provide no protection during collisions with automobiles.

in other words, it's about as "adequate" in car-bike collisions as it is falling off the bike, but that doesn't mean that it adequately protects you from injury in either case.

Last edited by wphamilton; 12-18-14 at 10:20 PM.
Old 12-18-14, 11:05 PM
Six jours

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
in other words, it's about as "adequate" in car-bike collisions as it is falling off the bike, but that doesn't mean that it adequately protects you from injury in either case.
That's splitting the hair very finely, especially in light of your claim that "The helmet is primarily for hitting the ground and that's generally going to happen regardless of how the accident occurs. Unless we're thrown up in the air we'll hit the ground with the same impact whether we're hit by a car, or riding 30 mph, or fall over at a light."

Last edited by Six jours; 12-18-14 at 11:08 PM.
Old 12-19-14, 03:19 AM
CarinusMalmari

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1662 Post(s)
Liked 226 Times in 131 Posts
Originally Posted by 350htrr
Yes, You have a point, BUT, "My helmet saved my life" can have many meanings...
1; It actually saved a life. (maybe)
2; It saved some major trauma. (maybe)
3; It saved some injury. (probably)
4; It saved some lumps. (almost certainly)
5; It saved some skin rash. (certainly)
This is just ridiculous: I can see that people feel that their life is saved when something saved them from a crippling injury, and that's already pushing definitions of the concept "life-saving".
Old 12-19-14, 07:55 AM
wphamilton

That's splitting the hair very finely, especially in light of your claim that "The helmet is primarily for hitting the ground and that's generally going to happen regardless of how the accident occurs. Unless we're thrown up in the air we'll hit the ground with the same impact whether we're hit by a car, or riding 30 mph, or fall over at a light."
That's a fact, not splitting hairs.

Risk of injury is overall higher when a car hits you. The particular injuries resulting from the head hitting the ground are about the same however, and the helmet affords the same protection from that in either case.
Old 12-19-14, 08:20 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
The point remains tho------------------------people that say their helmet saved their live WERE wearing a helmet, and after the crash, they ARE still alive.
Old 12-19-14, 09:32 AM
wphamilton

Originally Posted by rydabent
The point remains tho------------------------people that say their helmet saved their live WERE wearing a helmet, and after the crash, they ARE still alive.
So, those times where I crashed, not wearing a helmet, and I AM still alive ... not wearing a helmet saved my life?
Old 12-19-14, 09:35 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
I get tattoos as talismans against death, and I AM still alive...

Whereas THE ONLY HEAD INJURY I've sustained in recent times was a bike crash when I WAS wearing a helmet.
Old 12-19-14, 09:37 AM
wphamilton

Originally Posted by mconlonx
I get tattoos as talismans against death, and I AM still alive...

Whereas THE ONLY HEAD INJURY I've sustained in recent times was a bike crash when I WAS wearing a helmet.
But you're still alive, so the helmet saved your life after all. That AND the tattoos.
Old 12-19-14, 10:13 AM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Originally Posted by CarinusMalmari
This is just ridiculous: I can see that people feel that their life is saved when something saved them from a crippling injury, and that's already pushing definitions of the concept "life-saving".

Oopps, That's how I meant to say it and give those examples as to what really/probably happened...
Old 12-19-14, 11:13 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4299 Post(s)
Liked 1,382 Times in 962 Posts
Then I pointed out that sometimes helping and sometimes hurting are not mutually exclusive,
This is useless. It's true of everything!!

and now you're shifting to "whether they help more than they hurt".
Again, it's not that they can hurt, it's whether they help more or not than they hurt.

So let's keep our eye on the ball here: I'm still looking for you to back up your claim that some people here have stated that helmets cannot prevent injury.
I made no such claim! Saying that helmets can hurt isn't an argument against them!

I have never said that helmets are not useful.
I didn't say that you did.

I have pointed out that they are not very useful when struck by high-speed motor vehicles, and in support of that argument I have noted that helmets used for high-speed motorsports are much heavier and stronger than bicycle helmets.
The existance of better helmets doesn't establish that bicycle helmets are not very useful (especially since "high speed" isn't clear)! Bicycle helmets might still be very useful compared to no helmets. Better helmets suggests that they could be better (but there are trade-offs that make those heavier helmets impractical for bicycling).

Who is claiming that helmets are "adequate protect" against extreme collisions?
Wphamilton, in the post to which I was responding, which you then attacked. Don't you think it would be a good idea to read before responding?
Let's look at that again. I doubt that wphamilton was talking about "car racer" speeds! (Talking about "car racers" is moving the goal posts, by the way.)

I don't see the helmet as less useful with bike-auto collisions. The helmet is primarily for hitting the ground and that's generally going to happen regardless of how the accident occurs. Unless we're thrown up in the air we'll hit the ground with the same impact whether we're hit by a car, or riding 30 mph, or fall over at a light. So it's not really true that the helmet is useless when high-speed autos are involved - at most we can say that it's sometimes superfluous, if the collision itself causes critical injury. But that doesn't always happen.
The helmet is less useful in bike-auto collisions because fatal bike-auto collisions usually involve multiple massive injuries. That doesn't, of course, mean that no one has ever had his life saved by a helmet in a bike-auto collision. I just don't see significant objective evidence that it happens very much. If bicycle helmets really were effective in such scenarios, then why would motorcyclists and car racers wear such big heavy helmets?
You make two mistakes in your reply here: 1) you are saying the bicycle helmets and heavy helments have be equally effective (they don't) and that the scenarios each is addressing are the same type and frequency (that doesn't appear to be true at all, especially since bicyclists or car traffic aren't really travelling at the speeds that "car racers" do).

Again, the existance of better helmets doesn't contradict wphamilton's comment at all. If you read what he wrote, you didn't understand it. "High speed" is too vague anyway and with your "car racer" comment, it seems you are talking about a much higher (and irrelevant) "high speed".

The existance of helmets heavier than bicycle helmets suggest (one or more and not limited to):
* That collisions they are expecting to be useful for are different.
* That they are practical where they are being used and impractical where they are not.
Yet another strawman, based entirely on arguments that no one here has presented, except for you.
No, it describes why what you said above is wrong.

Last edited by njkayaker; 12-19-14 at 11:59 AM.
Old 12-19-14, 11:22 AM
mconlonx

But you're still alive, so the helmet saved your life after all. That AND the tattoos.
Yabbut, according to Rydalogic(tm) it may have been BECAUSE I was wearing a helmet that I RECEIVED A HEAD INJURY...
Old 12-19-14, 11:23 AM
mconlonx

You make two mistakes in your reply
No, he made one mistake: engaging you in conversation.
Old 12-19-14, 11:31 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by mconlonx
No, he made one mistake: engaging you in conversation.
He shouldn't be making such bad arguments then.

At least his arguments aren't as bad as "bicycle safty classes that people don't take even if they are free are better than helmets" one that I've seen somebody make.

Last edited by njkayaker; 12-19-14 at 11:51 AM.
Old 12-19-14, 12:38 PM
wphamilton

The helmet is less useful in bike-auto collisions because fatal bike-auto collisions usually involve multiple massive injuries. That doesn't, of course, mean that no one has ever had his life saved by a helmet in a bike-auto collision. I just don't see significant objective evidence that it happens very much. If bicycle helmets really were effective in such scenarios, then why would motorcyclists and car racers wear such big heavy helmets?
Again, the existance of better helmets doesn't contradict wphamilton's comment at all. If you read what he wrote, you didn't understand it. "High speed" is too vague anyway and with your "car racer" comment, it seems you are talking about a much higher (and irrelevant) "high speed".

No, it describes why what you said above is wrong.
I took it as rhetorical since the literal answer is trivial. Race car drivers use heavier helmets because they work better. Cyclists do not, because they are an impediment to the physical activity.

Neither of those answers relate to the question of whether a bicycle helmet is effective at all in a bicycle crash involving a car.
Old 12-19-14, 02:40 PM
njkayaker

I took it as rhetorical since the literal answer is trivial.
Talking about "car racers" isn't rhetorical. Motorcyclists by themselves can reach high speeds. And collisions between motorcyclists and other vehicles has a fairly reasonable chance of having much higher combined speeds than collisions between cyclists and motor vehicles.

Race car drivers use heavier helmets because they work better. Cyclists do not, because they are an impediment to the physical activity.
I said this. And it should have been obvious to other people. And the collisions race car drivers may be subject to are different.

Neither of those answers relate to the question of whether a bicycle helmet is effective at all in a bicycle crash involving a car.
Yes. I also said this. And it should be obvious too.

Last edited by njkayaker; 12-19-14 at 03:26 PM.
Old 12-19-14, 08:11 PM
Six jours

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Just for those keeping score at home:

In post #378 , JoeyBike asks "Is anyone here claiming that helmets don't mitigate injury?:

In post #386 , njkayaker replies "People do make such claims in these threads regularly."

In post #397 I wrote "I'm still looking for you to back up your claim that some people here have stated that helmets cannot prevent injury."

And then in #411 , nj replies with "I made no such claim!"

Mconlonx is right, again: trying to engage njkayaker in conversion is a complete waste of time.
Old 12-19-14, 09:25 PM
350htrr

I believe I made that claim in post 380 (that there were some who claimed that helmets don't help and could actually could cause injury) and njkayaker replied that yes there was some who made that claim. But I also said not in this
thread, not yet anyways... In the previous helmet thread there was a lot more claims like that, but not in this one... And no I'm not going back to find them to prove anything...

Last edited by 350htrr; 12-19-14 at 09:32 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-19-14, 09:32 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12873 Post(s)
Liked 7,797 Times in 4,136 Posts
Just for those keeping score at home:

In post #378 , JoeyBike asks "Is anyone here claiming that helmets don't mitigate injury?:

In post #386 , njkayaker replies "People do make such claims in these threads regularly."

In post #397 I wrote "I'm still looking for you to back up your claim that some people here have stated that helmets cannot prevent injury."

Mconlonx is right, again: trying to engage njkayaker in conversion is a complete waste of time.
The 'yaker and the ryda are both bots, I'm pretty sure.
Old 12-20-14, 08:09 AM
rydabent
Banned

I hate to be the one to break the news to the world greatest cyclist that seem to post here, but the fickle finger of fate can and will reach out and goose you when you least expect it. A slick spot, a instant flat, loose gravel, or maybe a dog can put you on the ground. But then maybe these worlds greatest cyclist they NEVER go down have a bungee cord hooked to a cloud that will keep them from hitting the ground. The bungee cord idea is as believeable as thinking they will never crash.

Have you seen the helmet cam video that is on the internet in the last few days that show a rider going along at a good clip when UNEXPECED AND SUDDENLY a deer jumps in front of him and takes him down? Hmmmmm------better make sure your bungee cord is hooked up before you ride.
Old 12-20-14, 08:22 AM
wphamilton

Getting put on the ground and banging your head are two different things Ryda, the latter not inevitable. I do want my helmet on if I hit the ground - even after a car-bike collision, Mr Jours - but if I happen to not have it, I'll deal with it and most likely without a head injury.
Old 12-20-14, 08:31 AM
rydabent
Banned

Not hittin your head on the ground in a crash is like playing Russian roulette.

As the Boy Scouts say---------------be prepared----------------wear a helmet.
Old 12-20-14, 09:10 AM
wphamilton

Not hittin your head on the ground in a crash is like playing Russian roulette.

As the Boy Scouts say---------------be prepared----------------wear a helmet.
As long as we're being general, at what level of risk should I be prepared? One in a hundred chance of hitting my head given an accident? In a thousand? Just a general ballpark from your perspective, and I won't ask you to justify the number.
Old 12-20-14, 09:55 AM
njkayaker

What I said was people regularly say that helmets don't just "not work" but they cause injuries (suggessing that you are worse-off generally using one).

Meanwhile did so repeatedly (with the "helmets cause rotational injuries).

Originally Posted by meanwhile
There probably isn't one:

Cycle helmets are useless, says brain surgeon - Telegraph

Cycle helmets: an international resource

However, it doesn't matter: death or serious neurological injury from cycling accidents are incredibly rare.

If you're really concerned, then this is probably the best helmet available:

BiOS -!- anatomical protection helmets invented by a neurosurgeon
Closetbiker repeatedly said that helmets help with cuts or "minor
injuries" (which no one is concerned about) did did nothing else beyond that.

https://www.bikeforums.net/advocacy-s...l#post11470225

You either know that they did this (repeatedly) and are "forgetting" or you did't read any of the prior threads.

Keep in mind that no one is really talking about mitigating "trivial" injuries.

Last edited by njkayaker; 12-20-14 at 10:09 AM.
Old 12-20-14, 10:17 AM
wphamilton

What I said was people regularly say that helmets don't just "not work" but they cause injuries (suggessing that you are worse-off generally using one).

Meanwhile did so repeatedly (with the "helmets cause rotational injuries).

Closetbiker repeatedly said that helmets help with cuts or "minor
injuries" (which no one is concerned about) did did nothing else beyond that.

https://www.bikeforums.net/advocacy-s...l#post11470225

You either know that they did this (repeatedly) and are "forgetting" or you did't read any of the prior threads.

Keep in mind that no one is really talking about mitigating "trivial" injuries.
Well you're right. Except that mitigating the trivial injuries is the largest benefit for me, since they're much more likely.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.