Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Masters Racing (All Disciplines)
Reload this Page >

Masters Misc Race Report Thread

Search
Notices
Masters Racing (All Disciplines) Race on the track or road or on your mountainbike in the Masters Category? Want to talk tactics, strategy and training with your peers?

Masters Misc Race Report Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-16, 03:58 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathpack
I am possibly a little too well-insulated to be at my best in the heat.
At my Masters peak, I had 15% body fat. Not exactly prototypical bike racer physique. I think it's more my metabolism. I sweat like a pig.
Old 04-15-16, 04:06 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by shovelhd
At my Masters peak, I had 15% body fat. Not exactly prototypical bike racer physique. I think it's more my metabolism. I sweat like a pig.
Probably my metabolism too. For an actual workout (ie where I won't have any stopped time to get cold), its got to be below 30F for me to even wear a jacket any more.
Old 04-15-16, 04:38 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathpack
Nice TTs, @Racer Ex. I'm a little jealous that you have two weeknight TTs to ride locally. I'm going to have to talk someone into doing that here in town eventually.

I'm not a huge fan of wind. But 42F is my favorite temp for any kind of intense effort.
We have two weeknight series, both are a mix of TT's, RR's, and crits. We also have a twilight stage race over three nights.
Old 04-15-16, 04:48 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Originally Posted by Racer Ex
We have two weeknight series, both are a mix of TT's, RR's, and crits. We also have a twilight stage race over three nights.
Now if you also had an ocean, I'd be all over moving to Reno.
Old 04-15-16, 06:33 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

We have a lake. And wind.

Old 04-16-16, 09:36 AM
happybday29475

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
race report thread...

...I was planning on my first race back this weekend...but as SnowBombZilla says, "everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth".
Attached Images
Old 04-16-16, 08:54 PM
Cleave
Old & Getting Older Racer

Bikes: Bicycle Transportation: 2022 Hyundai Kona Electric, 2019 Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
@Racer Ex, I dream of having a best TT effort like your off effort.
@rapwithtom, ouch!
Visit my blog at https://cleavesblant.wordpress.com/
Lightning Velo Cycling Club: https://www.lightningvelo.org/
Learn about our Green Dream Home at https://www.lawville.org/
Old 04-16-16, 09:27 PM
Cleave

Bikes: Bicycle Transportation: 2022 Hyundai Kona Electric, 2019 Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Did the Tuesday night TT at what we like to think is world-famous, El Dorado Park. Six laps, about 10.3 miles. I was about 1:19 slower than my PR from last summer, but worse is that I was almost 50 watts down on my NP while my average HR was 2 BPM higher(!) on Tuesday than last year's PR. Talk about being fat and slow.

Going to try to hang in at tomorrow's L.A. Circuit Race.

After tomorrow, only TTs through May.
Old 04-17-16, 09:10 AM
IBOHUNT

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 10 Posts
Argyle ITT; 28K with 750' gain.
M55+
Finished 9/23

Picked up the new TT bike on Friday night and threw it together finishing at about 8 pm. Managed about 30 minutes of trainer time getting the fit as close as I can. Only issue is that my disc is a 10 speed and this is 11 speed so I'd have to race with a lot of spokes on a 25C rear.
Gathered up all my stuff and piled it into the truck for the drive in the morning. Had to arrive at 6 am to help setup the course and to insure everything is set as it's my team that puts this deal on.Warmed up on the trainer then put the first 4 miles on the new bike riding to the start. Arrived in enough time to slot in and throw some water down.
I had a wattage number told to me that I should try and hold and a strategy for the start as the first couple of miles have some terrain. I managed to not be able to hold the number very well and was a bit over target. Setteled in during the middle portion of the race and paced fairly well, at least I think until I am told otherwise. With one 1K to go I gave what I had left in the tank and crossed the uphill finish.

End of the day a 9th place finish of 23 which I'm happy with given where I woke up 11 days prior to the race.
Stats had my wattage at what I was told +3
Old 04-17-16, 10:55 AM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Tom, FWIW the Denver storm wiped out our NYC trip, flight cancelled and only alternatives were red eyes that shaved a day and change off the stay.

Nice job IBO. First ride on a new bike after the TKO and all the other stuff...solid.
Old 04-17-16, 01:22 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Nice racing @IBOHUNT! Way to keep your head together in some trying times.
Old 04-17-16, 07:41 PM
Cleave

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
@IBOHUNT, nice job! Glad that your recovery was quick.
Old 04-17-16, 07:54 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11403 Post(s)
Liked 4,761 Times in 2,770 Posts
@IBOHUNT, well done!
Old 04-17-16, 08:12 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
IBO - ya dun good!

Demain, on roule!
Old 04-17-16, 08:30 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice to have you back.
Old 04-17-16, 10:03 PM
YogaKat
Padawan

Bikes: Orbea Mitis Dama, Bridgestone Sirius, Cranbrook Cruiser, Cheap Mountain Bike

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
IBO.. Sweet and well done!
Cleave... I'm not a racer yet, but even in my cycling world: those days happen. The main thing is "did you have a good time regardless?"
Old 04-20-16, 08:20 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
@Cleave...El Dorado park is World Famous...look who's raced there...

IBO, really, really SOLID effort! Proud of you, man! Way to overcome it all and crush it.
Old 04-24-16, 07:07 AM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rio Grand RR SW3, 6th/9 (14 started)

We raced with the P12 & 40+ scored separately, and it was good turnout, so it was a big (for me) field of about 40, with 14 in my race. the course is a 17.2 mile loop on rolling farm roads, with one mile of dirt. The dirt is the first mile, and was in loose and washboard condition. It was neutral on lap 1. We did 3 laps. I was really apprehensive about the dirt.

The P12s in the mix made it a really different race, none of the 3s were very active, we were all just sitting in while the two big P12 teams managed the front of the race. First lap was fairly mellow. Second lap there were a few attacks on the northbound rollers, but again fairly reasonable to sit in. Then there was a race to be first on the dirt, and I didn't really try to stay up front, since pretty much I feel like I'm going to blow it and screw it up for other people. So, that's what happened, I dug in my front wheel in loose spot and nearly crashed, came to a near stop. Luckily it was right when the loose turned to hardpack, so I was able to stay pretty close to the pack and chase back on once we returned to pavement.

There were some attacks (by 3s!) on the northbound hilly leg on lap 2, but no danger of detachment for me. Then at the start of lap 3, I screwed up the dirt again, much earlier in the dirt section, and let a big gap open. That was the end of being in the group for me - rest of the race was a solo TT effort. It was kind of a blessing in disguise, though, there was a crash (someone's bike broke in half!! for no reason!!!) which included a team mate. I stopped to see if she needed help or wanted to pace back, but she wasn't sure if she would continue and sent me on my way. There was another crash at the sprint finish, which I also missed.

So, not what I wanted or expected out of this, I thought I would at least be in the mix until the final northbound rollers, but the dirt handling messed me up again. I'm going to either have to learn how to ride dirt or stop doing dirt races.
Old 04-24-16, 07:36 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Sorry your race was not what you expected, @valygrl. But way to miss the crashes!
Old 04-24-16, 08:06 AM
LAJ
So it is

Nicely done, @valygrl. I know the section you are talking about, and it was either that or washboard.

15/40 starters

If I couldn't get away, I was done, as contesting the sprint in this thing is suicide. A teammate and one other gave it a whirl on the rollers before the dirt, and I was at the front soft-pedaling, and no one was passing me... I thought he had a chance, but they pulled the plug. A shame. I gave it a shot on the back side right before it headed west, and thought maybe. No help. I was caught, then the pack did the sprint, stop, sprint, stop nonsense on the rollers. I was boxed in with bikes doing the spread across the road bull****, so I dropped to the back of the pack in order to try and get up there. About a mile to go there's a little uphill section, and they finally started to break up. I worked my way up, and saw my teammate about third. He rocked it at the last TT and RR, so I figured I could drag him to the line. Got in front,. drilled it, and as the line came into sight, was swarmed. I think I helped some folks go WAY to early, as I was likely 25th, then reeled an easy 10 back in. Teammates were third and eighth, though 3rd wasn't the person I thought it was going to be. Oh well.

I'm going to try something different today. I really hate trying contest sprints, but it may be what I have to do.
Old 04-24-16, 09:12 AM
happybday29475

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by valygrl
Rio Grand RR SW3, 6th/9 (14 started)

We raced with the P12 & 40+ scored separately, and it was good turnout, so it was a big (for me) field of about 40, with 14 in my race. the course is a 17.2 mile loop on rolling farm roads, with one mile of dirt. The dirt is the first mile, and was in loose and washboard condition. It was neutral on lap 1. We did 3 laps. I was really apprehensive about the dirt.

The P12s in the mix made it a really different race, none of the 3s were very active, we were all just sitting in while the two big P12 teams managed the front of the race. First lap was fairly mellow. Second lap there were a few attacks on the northbound rollers, but again fairly reasonable to sit in. Then there was a race to be first on the dirt, and I didn't really try to stay up front, since pretty much I feel like I'm going to blow it and screw it up for other people. So, that's what happened, I dug in my front wheel in loose spot and nearly crashed, came to a near stop. Luckily it was right when the loose turned to hardpack, so I was able to stay pretty close to the pack and chase back on once we returned to pavement.

There were some attacks (by 3s!) on the northbound hilly leg on lap 2, but no danger of detachment for me. Then at the start of lap 3, I screwed up the dirt again, much earlier in the dirt section, and let a big gap open. That was the end of being in the group for me - rest of the race was a solo TT effort. It was kind of a blessing in disguise, though, there was a crash (someone's bike broke in half!! for no reason!!!) which included a team mate. I stopped to see if she needed help or wanted to pace back, but she wasn't sure if she would continue and sent me on my way. There was another crash at the sprint finish, which I also missed.

So, not what I wanted or expected out of this, I thought I would at least be in the mix until the final northbound rollers, but the dirt handling messed me up again. I'm going to either have to learn how to ride dirt or stop doing dirt races.
Dirt: relax, loose, smooth, no abrupt changes. A bit lower tire pressure than a fully paved course. But you know all that.

I would guess that your coach is one of the best in the business in teaching how to ride dirt. Maybe a pre-Koppenberg sesh?

I spent yesterday pre-riding Koppenberg myself. I started with high PSI and some parts were un-rideable. I gradually lowered pressure until...ahhh, no bouncy...and the dirt road on top almost felt like pavement. I ended up with 72.5psi front / 80psi rear (on 25mm clinchers). Latex tubes (this matters).

FYI, I don't like dirt on road races...but neither does it deter me. I think it's a fact of life given the challenges for promoters to find good venues. In the case of Koppenberg, the hill makes the race very tactically interesting....the race is not just 2 hours cruising with a 2' fast finish.
Old 04-24-16, 09:20 AM
happybday29475

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
Nicely done, @valygrl. I know the section you are talking about, and it was either that or washboard.

15/40 starters

If I couldn't get away, I was done, as contesting the sprint in this thing is suicide. A teammate and one other gave it a whirl on the rollers before the dirt, and I was at the front soft-pedaling, and no one was passing me... I thought he had a chance, but they pulled the plug. A shame. I gave it a shot on the back side right before it headed west, and thought maybe. No help. I was caught, then the pack did the sprint, stop, sprint, stop nonsense on the rollers. I was boxed in with bikes doing the spread across the road bull****, so I dropped to the back of the pack in order to try and get up there. About a mile to go there's a little uphill section, and they finally started to break up. I worked my way up, and saw my teammate about third. He rocked it at the last TT and RR, so I figured I could drag him to the line. Got in front,. drilled it, and as the line came into sight, was swarmed. I think I helped some folks go WAY to early, as I was likely 25th, then reeled an easy 10 back in. Teammates were third and eighth, though 3rd wasn't the person I thought it was going to be. Oh well.

I'm going to try something different today. I really hate trying contest sprints, but it may be what I have to do.
LAJ you are for sure one of the stronger riders in the field.

Most of the 50/4's races seem to come down to sprint finishes. This of course favors the lazy sprinters like me, for whom the tactics are relatively straightforward. Trying to make the race play to non-sprint strengths is, I think, much more complicated to do. Maybe those who are good at that will chime in...
Old 04-24-16, 03:00 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Nice racing, @LAJ.
Old 04-24-16, 04:24 PM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yea, good job LAJ. It was so crashy yesterday I'm glad you weren't caught up on one.

rapwithtom - no Koppenburg for me. I wasn't going to do it anyway, but I'm also travelling for work and will be visiting in CA over the weekend.

I didn't race today either, wiped out from yesterday, plus the wind forecast was unsettling. Rode sunshine canyon instead - probably set a new PR on the low side.
Old 04-24-16, 08:25 PM
LAJ
So it is

Thank you, folks.

Today.... 11/27

Son of a gun if some guy didn't take off with 2 corners to go. No one chased him down, and I swore I wouldn't either. A shame, as it stuck. Wrong plan for the wrong day.

I swear, I race with a bunch of old men. Our race yesterday was the same speed as @valygrl and today, we were about ready to get lapped on a 4 mile course by the guys that started four minutes ahead of us. This weird bunching up after a surge... Since I swore I was going to sit in, I did, but lordy it was tough. It also let the squirrels hang in too. It was windy, but not terribly so, but it's still strange to me that folks that you are on good terms with, will try to kill you to take a wheel to get out of the wind. Either way, I was in the lead, coasting around the sweeper to the finishing straight, with a tailwind at my back, watching the guy ride away. I waited, waited, got ready to go just as a couple had the same thought, and went by me. Not a sprinter, did my best, but happy to have survived today.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.