Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Swapping Italian carbon for new Italian steel! Help!!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Swapping Italian carbon for new Italian steel! Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-20, 04:08 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by jadocs
Your Colnago was the catalyst that really pushed me to search until I found one.
Glad it worked out. Italian steel bikes will always be in demand.

Ride safely my friend.
Likes For eja_ bottecchia:
Old 03-10-20, 11:13 AM
Johnk3

Bikes: Simoncini, Wilier (2), Cinelli Supercorsa, Cicli Barco XCr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Welded main traingle with brazed stays? Interesting mix.
My Fairlight gravel frame is joined this way.

Obviously- pics of the frameset before and after build, please.
The frame was finished yesterday.

Old 03-10-20, 11:20 AM
Johnk3

Originally Posted by LewisFernandes
Hi everyone! This is my first post so be gentle!

I thought I’d register on the forum, as my plan to start building a new steel bike will provide lots of opportunities to ask for advice and then pass it on in the future!

I’m trying to sell my 54cm De Rosa SK Pininfarina Ultegra to fund a new project that I feel resonates more with who I am as a cyclist. A new modern-retro steel beauty.

I’m currently weighing up and researching bikes like the Colnago Master & Arabesque, Cinelli Supercorsa, Wilier Superleggera and maybe a De Rosa Nuovo Classico. All the new frame sets. Having trouble deciding between these frames and wondering if anyone could help decide between them. I know for example that some of them differ with threadless forks etc which will mean quill stems will be possible on some and not others (I prefer quill) and other similar characteristics which set them apart.

It does have to be Italian I’m afraid, not because I am uninitiated and trendy, but because they really get me going and I have a real passion for Italian culture and craftsmanship.

If someone can help me pick one of these frames to build, I will be so so very grateful! Also, if anyone has one of these frames, I’d be interested to hear how they fit compared to a road bike like the one I have now.

Thanks!!
Lewis

PS- please tell me if this is the correct forum area for this post!! I was gonna post it in Classic/Vintage but it’s a new bike so...
There is a on-line seller that specializes in handmade steel and titanium frames with good prices and some new old stock frames as well.
https://www.adrenalinebikes.com/stor...ategoryID=5780
Old 04-15-20, 04:30 PM
Johnk3

Barco XCr stainless steel custom frame build

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Welded main traingle with brazed stays? Interesting mix.
My Fairlight gravel frame is joined this way.

Obviously- pics of the frameset before and after build, please.
Cicli Barco custom XCr with the Barco Viva fork and carbon steering tube, Chris King headset, Campy Super Record 12 sp group set with direct mount brakes, WR Compositi carbon stuff, HED Belgium Plus rims on White Industries T11 hubs, Vittoria Corsa Control tires.

Gianluca Barco (info@ciclibarco.it)is quite fluent in English and very responsive and helpful in the design, fitting, options and production. They have a huge number of choices and options in both TIG and lugged stainless steel with stainless forks and lugs of all types. He works carefully with you on measurements. He also got me a good price on many of the carbon and Campy parts.

My custom frame cost 3,320 Euros ( $3,600) including shipping. But, it has a lot of options like name plate, Italian shield, nickel head badge, direct mount brakes, multi-color paint, the Viva fork, the carbon steering tube and Chris King headset. The base price for a XCr TIG welded frame with a curved stainless fork is 2,620 Euros ($2,900) including brushed or polished finish, one paint color, interior or exterior brake cables, and a number of other no-cost options. A stainless steel XCr lugged frame is 100 Euros more.

The bike weighs 18 lbs. 14 oz. with pedals for a size 58.5 frame. It rides very smoothly and feels alive. Also the production quality and paint is flawless. Cicli Barco won the "Best of Italy" and other awards last year at Bespoked, the British version of NAHBS. https://bespoked.cc/awards.html.

For an independent review of the Barco XCr frame look at this: https://www.cyclist.co.uk/reviews/66...rco-xcr-review

Barco makes handmade steel frames for about 20 other Italian bike companies to put their own name on. The odds are extremely high that any brand name Italian steel frame is probably made by Barco, although not to the quality control levels of bikes with their own name on it. Of course, there is a huge mark up by the other bike company. The Cinelli XCr stainless frame is actually made by Barco but has none of the options and quality finish that mine has but it costs $4,800.

Just so you know, XCr refers to Columbus XCr stainless steel tubing. It is a relatively new product, only about 10 years old, that features very high-tech metallurgy and is triple butted. The tubes are almost paper thin but quite strong. It also happens to be the most expensive tube set in the world, currently over $800 just for the raw tubes.

Old 04-15-20, 06:03 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by eric1971
Can't go wrong with a Master.

I would suggest an American Waterford Precision. It is a better bike though certainly nowhere near as beautiful as that Master.
Old 04-15-20, 06:48 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10969 Post(s)
Liked 7,495 Times in 4,191 Posts
Originally Posted by eric1971
Can't go wrong with a Master.

what handlebars are these?
Old 04-16-20, 05:22 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 498 Posts
Why not Swapping keep the Italian carbon and get a new or previously loved Italian steel ?
Cant go wrong with a Master, I have steel and CF versions, its a joy to ride either.

BTW did you LewisFernandes swap (N) or add (N+1) a recommendation?

Last edited by joesch; 04-16-20 at 05:26 AM.
Old 12-04-20, 01:06 PM
Rocket-Sauce 
Port

Bikes: 2022 Soma Fog Cutter, 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 1,870 Times in 1,065 Posts
I just saw that Merlin are selling Wilier Superleggera frames at a steep discount. Smaller sizes and only in red or white.
https://www.merlincycles.com/en-us/w...et-198905.html $1123.88