Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

GM to make e-bikes

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

GM to make e-bikes

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-18, 08:38 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
if only there were something in a person’s browser like a search bar so they could type in how much in taxes and fees do rental car companies pay. You have to wonder if they pay for a business license and building permits before buying or renting the land where their businesses are? Wait they do have a search bar in all of the popular browsers! Eureka.
Old 11-25-18, 02:14 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
Originally Posted by Mobile 155
if only there were something in a person’s browser like a search bar so they could type in how much in taxes and fees do rental car companies pay. You have to wonder if they pay for a business license and building permits before buying or renting the land where their businesses are? Wait they do have a search bar in all of the popular browsers! Eureka.

https://www.google.com/search?biw=13...67.wrtYpNE_KEQ
Old 11-25-18, 10:51 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by tandempower
When a local government charges a $500 annual fee per scooter for share companies to have the scooter available on the street,
What local government charges a $500 annual fee per scooter for share companies to have the scooter available on the street? I Googled; could not find any evidence of this $500/scooter fee.
Old 11-25-18, 11:39 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
They need to have better methods for stacking them. Scooters could easily be stacked so that their handlebar stems clip onto each other as the decks are stacked. Share bikes can also be stacked neatly if they are equipped with folding handlebars and pedals. I don't know if any of the share vendors already install these simple space-savors but it's a mistake not to.
Sounds almost as if docking stations could work.
Old 11-25-18, 01:32 PM
Mobile 155

Originally Posted by jon c.
i don’t think that has anything to do with GM or any other can manufacture. Sounds like a public backlash issue to me.
Old 11-25-18, 02:24 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

i don’t think that has anything to do with GM or any other can manufacture. Sounds like a public backlash issue to me.
Also note that any fees (real or conjured) imposed on the so-called "share" companies that scatter dock-less scooters or dock-less bicycles about a town, also has nothing to do with GM or any other car manufacture, except perhaps in the vivid imagination of the conspiracy mongers of LCF.
Old 11-25-18, 02:28 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Work at doing what? How many scooter customers are going to spend an iota of time or effort stacking and unstacking scooters in order to ride a mile or two? How exactly do docking stations "work" with the concept of the alleged convenience of dock-less scooters?

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 11-25-18 at 02:31 PM.
Old 11-25-18, 02:37 PM
jon c. 

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Work at doing what?
They might work in reducing clutter on the sidewalk.
Old 11-25-18, 03:05 PM
Mobile 155

Well we have moved away from GM and Ebikes. But isn’t stacking a drop anywhere and pick up anywhere system a detriment to dropping anywhere or picking up anywhere? It doesn’t seem if the problem can be left at GM’s feet. It also is placing an unnecessary burden on the public to deal with a problem they had no control over.

The real question might be that neither GM nor local governments are at fault. Could it be the product and business model?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.bus...acklash-2018-8
Old 11-25-18, 03:06 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

So would a dumpster.

Docking or theoretical stacking stations might "work" in a physical sense for dock-less scooters as suggested, but not in a practical business sense it would seriously reduce their usefulness for the customers.
Old 11-25-18, 03:15 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Well we have moved away from GM and Ebikes. But isn’t stacking a drop anywhere and pick up anywhere system a detriment to dropping anywhere or picking up anywhere? It doesn’t seem if the problem can be left at GM’s feet. It also is placing an unnecessary burden on the public to deal with a problem they had no control over.

The real question might be that neither GM nor local governments are at fault. Could it be the product and business model?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.bus...acklash-2018-8
No paywall at https://nordic.businessinsider.com/a...cklash-2018-8/

See https://t.co/8EZvkUfbsO
https://t.co/8EZvkUfbsO
Old 11-25-18, 06:24 PM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts

I don’t think making up your own definition of how things work constitutes any kind of proof. Now if you could show a codified set of rules of how a successful company must deal with a non related startup company you could prove GM or any auto company has broken the rules and that caused elected officials, elected by you and your neighbors, to inact specific regulations that they have never applied to any other company you would have the beginnings of a conspiracy claim against the city, county, or state.

Still tgere is no legal requirement that a car company has to assist other transportation startups to become successful. You will not even find that concept in a book on ethics.

Perhaps if the concerns you have expressed about how scooters and bikes “could” be better managed and so less obtrusive to the people that object to them were sent to the scooter and bike companies they could evaluate their plans and approach the cities effected.

It it might be helpful if you had a basic knowledge of how corporations work and the fees and taxes they paid before you assume they aren’t paying way more than $500.00 a unit. Not to mention what the customer is required to pay.

But I know that would take looking at both sides of the issue and that requires objectivity rather than advocacy.
Here is a quote from Wikipedia regarding competition law that could apply:
supervising the mergers and acquisitions of large corporations, including some joint ventures. Transactions that are considered to threaten the competitive process can be prohibited altogether, or approved subject to "remedies" such as an obligation to divest part of the merged business or to offer licenses or access to facilities to enable other businesses to continue competing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Competition_law
It remains to be seen whether GM's goal is to expand the availability and convenience of car-free options or to hinder them through anti-competitive practices. Once they start making their ebikes or whatever and deploying them in markets, it will become clear whether their market activities are supporting the expansion of car-free transportation options or interfering with competition in order to render car-free options less available and/or convenient.
Old 11-25-18, 06:28 PM
tandempower

Originally Posted by Machka
Since you seem to know ... how much are they charging for rental cars?
I didn't think they had to pay special fees to rent out cars. Maybe I'm wrong.
Old 11-25-18, 06:32 PM
Mobile 155

Here is a quote from Wikipedia regarding competition law that could apply:

It remains to be seen whether GM's goal is to expand the availability and convenience of car-free options or to hinder them through anti-competitive practices. Once they start making their ebikes or whatever and deploying them in markets, it will become clear whether their market activities are supporting the expansion of car-free transportation options or interfering with competition in order to render car-free options less available and/or convenient.
you have yet to provide proof of a violation. If such existed a restraining provision could be asked for in a court with jurisdiction. The connection has not been made.

and because Ebike and scooter concerns already exist and are operating without GM connection the link is even less secure. Plus jurisdictions have already started legal actions against Scooter and Ebike companies before any automotive connection can be made. As seen in the several links already posted. The actions are driven as a protection of the population concerned by their elected representatives.

Last edited by Mobile 155; 11-25-18 at 06:42 PM.
Old 11-25-18, 06:33 PM
tandempower

Ok, so if rental cars pay a fee of $2/day, that comes out to about $700/year. If escooter shares are being charged $500/year that would be very disproportionate to their size relative to rental cars. A car takes up about 500 square feet of pavement and weighs over 2000lbs. An escooter is about 1% of the size and weight of a car, so its fee should be about 1% of the car, i.e. $7/year.
Old 11-25-18, 06:42 PM
tandempower

What they really should do is to offer a discount for parking at a docking station and then put poles, yes just poles, at frequent locations, and the scooters should be designed so their decks stack neatly and the handlebar stems clip together. Then, the city should have some fee for when a share scooter or bike is reported as a nuisance. When a complaint is called in, the caller should give their name and if the scooter is not found to be parked badly, the caller should be fined. If someone is sent and the scooter is indeed found to have been parked badly, then the owner would get the fine.
Old 11-25-18, 06:44 PM
tandempower

you have yet to provide proof of a violation. If such existed a restraining provision could be asked for in a court with jurisdiction. The connection has not been made.

and because Ebike and scooter concerns already exist and are operating without GM connection the link is even less secure. Plus jurisdictions have already started legal actions against Scooter and Ebike companies before any automotive connection can be made. As seen in the several links already posted. The actions are driven as a protection of the population concerned by their elected representatives.
Do you ever have the feeling that someone is lying, and then they challenge you to prove they are lying, and that just supports your sense that they're lying?
Old 11-25-18, 06:55 PM
jon c. 

Well we have moved away from GM and Ebikes.
The discussion did stray into a rental scooters. But entering the rental scooter market is indeed vastly different than selling e-bikes. The latter is, I believe, a potentially viable long term proposition and I think they may also look at it as a means of positioning themselves for the introduction of other types of small electric vehicles. It isn't clear at this point whether they intend to simply sell vehicles or if they want to get into the rental market, which I think is more geared to creating overvalued start-ups than it is to creating a long term profitable enterprises.
Old 11-25-18, 07:08 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
Ok, so if rental cars pay a fee of $2/day, that comes out to about $700/year. If escooter shares are being charged $500/year that would be very disproportionate to their size relative to rental cars. A car takes up about 500 square feet of pavement and weighs over 2000lbs. An escooter is about 1% of the size and weight of a car, so its fee should be about 1% of the car, i.e. $7/year.
No, most rental car taxes are a % (2-11%) of the rental. At $40-70 a day rental rate your talking about $1-$8/day. These also often pay parking meter fees when they are rented.
I believe the government scooter charges are more to do with their propensity to be left in places the municipality has to physically remove and handle them, not how much pavement they take up.

Once again, please shows us a citation that they are being charged $500/year by a government entity anywhere for a scooter.
Old 11-25-18, 07:17 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Tandempower's theory of relative rental prices misses a lot of variables and stuff. One thing is the scooters are not as durable as a car and that right now they are testing markets and getting booted from them or finding it not worth the trouble.

But the LCF Superstars are always years ahead and fast-forward thinking..
Old 11-25-18, 09:37 PM
tandempower

Originally Posted by Rollfast
Tandempower's theory of relative rental prices misses a lot of variables and stuff. One thing is the scooters are not as durable as a car and that right now they are testing markets and getting booted from them or finding it not worth the trouble.

But the LCF Superstars are always years ahead and fast-forward thinking..
It's not 'years ahead,' but rather years in the making. The 'last mile' problem of public transit has been discussed for years a reason many people are deterred from public transit. You have sprawling cities where it would be cost-inefficient to run bus routes close to everything, so you end up with a mile or more between bus stops and destinations and residences.

So the idea with scooter/bike shares was that people could grab a bike or scooter to get to the bus stop and then grab another one when they got off the bus, so they could get to their home or destination faster. It takes time for people to develop a sense of how to coordinate share vehicles and transit use, and it requires a lot of trust that a share vehicle will be available wherever you get off the bus. So if there is obstruction in whatever way for this multimodal transit+sharing transportation to develop, people are going to stick with driving because they know it and trust it, even if they have to deal with congestion, risk, costs, etc. The automotive sectors bank on this, so people who support the automotive culture have only to obstruct the alternatives a little to stimulate people to cling to driving as a tried-and-true method, even if it is a flawed and wasteful mode with many harmful effects, which dooms us to unsustainabilities environmental and economic.
Old 11-25-18, 10:12 PM
Mobile 155

Do you ever have the feeling that someone is lying, and then they challenge you to prove they are lying, and that just supports your sense that they're lying?
I try not to base my observation of how people accept or reject technology based on my feelings.

a few weeks ago I got a chance to Drive a Tesla S 85 D. It was one of the best driving experiences I have ever had. It is quiet, clean, smooth, luxurious. It gets an equivalent of 95 MPGe city and 106 MPGe highway. Better than a bus with 30 passengers fully loaded. It automatically cools the cabin if it is sitting in the sun. The computer system updates itself so that a 2015 S will have all the upgrades of a 2018. After I got home and sat in the after glow of the experience I “felt” that the Tesla might be the best choice for personal transportation there is. News flash!!! That feeling doesn’t make it true. Tesla could go belly up. Hydrogen cars and motorcycles could become viable. Someone else could come up with an E-Car that cost less and fits my needs and wants better. The list of where I could be wrong with my feelings could be more than one page.

so no feelings are not what drives my observations.
Old 11-26-18, 03:35 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
When a local government charges a $500 annual fee per scooter for share companies to have the scooter available on the street, why aren't they charging the same fee for rental cars? Because those aren't dockless? Well then why can't share companies rent small docks to stack share bikes/scooters instead of paying $500 per unit? $500 per year is a high tax to pay to have a share scooter available.
Originally Posted by Machka
Since you seem to know ... how much are they charging for rental cars?
I didn't think they had to pay special fees to rent out cars. Maybe I'm wrong.
OK, what makes you think escooter shares are being charged $500/year?

And of course car rental companies get charged a fee/tax!!!

Then, the city should have some fee for when a share scooter or bike is reported as a nuisance. When a complaint is called in, the caller should give their name and if the scooter is not found to be parked badly, the caller should be fined. If someone is sent and the scooter is indeed found to have been parked badly, then the owner would get the fine.

"Hi, I'm tandempower and I'd like to report a scooter that is parked badly ...."

Yeah, OK, that could work.
Old 11-26-18, 06:26 AM
tandempower

Originally Posted by dedhed
No, most rental car taxes are a % (2-11%) of the rental. At $40-70 a day rental rate your talking about $1-$8/day.
If scooters cost $1 + $0.15 per minute, then, 2-11% fee would be around $0.01 per minute.

These also often pay parking meter fees when they are rented.
I believe the government scooter charges are more to do with their propensity to be left in places the municipality has to physically remove and handle them, not how much pavement they take up.
The municipal fee schedules I read about included additional fees for scooter removal.

Once again, please shows us a citation that they are being charged $500/year by a government entity anywhere for a scooter.
Sorry, I don't remember the source. There were a lot of articles about various municipalities creating fee schedules and unit limits for share bikes and scooters. They seemed overly restrictive to me, and I read an article that explicitly noted that they would stifle the level of unit deployment that would be necessary for providing a popular alternative to driving.

In other words, the municipal governments are trying to restrict them to a certain elite, probably because they've been lobbied by certain business interests that want to limit alternatives to driving, i.e. in order to protect businesses that support driving from potential losses.

In other words, they are trying to force people into driving by blocking alternatives. They use things like sidewalk clutter and safety as excuses to protect their big tax payers from losses.
Old 11-26-18, 06:28 AM
tandempower

I try not to base my observation of how people accept or reject technology based on my feelings.

a few weeks ago I got a chance to Drive a Tesla S 85 D. It was one of the best driving experiences I have ever had. It is quiet, clean, smooth, luxurious. It gets an equivalent of 95 MPGe city and 106 MPGe highway. Better than a bus with 30 passengers fully loaded. It automatically cools the cabin if it is sitting in the sun. The computer system updates itself so that a 2015 S will have all the upgrades of a 2018. After I got home and sat in the after glow of the experience I “felt” that the Tesla might be the best choice for personal transportation there is. News flash!!! That feeling doesn’t make it true. Tesla could go belly up. Hydrogen cars and motorcycles could become viable. Someone else could come up with an E-Car that cost less and fits my needs and wants better. The list of where I could be wrong with my feelings could be more than one page.

so no feelings are not what drives my observations.
But can you prove that?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.