Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How was the commute today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

How was the commute today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-06, 10:42 AM
fixed.rider

Bikes: S-works Tarmac/e-5; BPStealth mtb; Fillmore fixie; Flanders cross(turned fixed); Argon18 Krypton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Two Buck Chuck
Brrrrr. Temp was around 34F, but 25+ mph winds put the windchill at 21F. The ride over the Potomac was brutal for this South Carolina native! I rode in with a neighbor, who got bad info from the weatherman and was riding in shorts!
The wind made it really cold, esp riding INTO the wind. I was warm once I got going, got pushed around a little by the wind. Unfortunately, I wore the wrong gloves. I know better by now, but I went too light on the gloves, and my fingers suffered for it. Bad. Still a little stiff, and I have been at the office for 4 hrs.

Nice to have the cold, know it will be cold, weather here. And as always, no one at work understands, why I rode today.
Old 12-04-06, 10:47 AM
Relaxer
Tora Tora Tora

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fixed.rider
Nice to have the cold, know it will be cold, weather here. And as always, no one at work understands, why I rode today.
I'm getting a lot of that today too. "You're so crazy!" What I didn't tell them is that I did 40 miles late last night at Haines Point in substantially colder weather than this morning. They probably wouldn't believe me anyhow.
Old 12-04-06, 11:08 AM
bikedaddy

Bikes: Trek 7100 Hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A warm 18F this morning with bright sun. Felt nice compared to my past few rides. A fox ran along me for about 50 yards and then just stopped and stared as I went by. I wonder if he would do that with a cager ... probably not.
Old 12-04-06, 11:18 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I was really tired this morning. I was putting up Xmas lights yesterday and wrestling with an extension ladder is surprisingly hard work. (Plus, I have no upper body strength anymore: I'm a cyclist!)

Other than that, not too notable except that I wore a tie for the first time in months on the commute. No big deal, but perhaps drivers think "Hey, that guy is going to work, just like me..." (But probably not. People are pretty self-absorbed.)
Old 12-04-06, 12:01 PM
pinkrobe
DNPAIMFB

Bikes: Titus El Guapo, Misfit diSSent, Cervelo Soloist Carbon, Wabi Lightning, et al.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Warm like toast today - maybe only -2C. It's supposed to be up around +13 by Thursday, so hopefully some of the slush will melt away...
Old 12-04-06, 12:07 PM
thdave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There was a pretty dusting of snow everywhere this morning, which added to the commute. Ice is forming at some ponds I pass, which are next to the river my MUP follows. It is great seeing the sunrise on the ponds and on the snow. I loved it.

Went into a headwind the whole way, so I had one of my slowest days yet. However, it should make it a simple glide home.
Old 12-04-06, 12:08 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
13F this morning - first time it's gotten below the mid 20s this fall - and it's been in the 40s-60s the last couple of weeks. Dayum, I hate when Indian Summer gives way to old man Winter virtually overnight!
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 12-04-06, 12:26 PM
rule

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, mid teens for the ride in here. That was a spectacular moon this morning; it lit up everything and even made the frost look extra cool. I had my first run in with a surprise bit of black ice. I won, but just barely.
Old 12-04-06, 12:29 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Two Buck Chuck
Brrrrr. Temp was around 34F, but 25+ mph winds put the windchill at 21F. The ride over the Potomac was brutal for this South Carolina native! I rode in with a neighbor, who got bad info from the weatherman and was riding in shorts!
Ouch! Quite a pleasant ride this morning, but it certainly would not have been so with shorts. I hope he made it OK. I'm certainly now gettting in a mood to put up decorations not that we seeing some almost winter-like weather. I'm hoping these falling temperatures mean an early snow and even a White Christmas.

Paul;
Old 12-04-06, 03:39 PM
habernac
commuting Canuck

Bikes: 07 Rocky Mtn ETSX-70, 00 Rocky Mountain Hammer (commuter) 98 Lemond Chambery

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't believe they've finally plowed the pathway all the way north to my place! No more dicing it out with the cagers on the road, yippee!! Beautiful day today, -2C this morning, it'll be well above zero when I head home.
Old 12-04-06, 04:22 PM
Randomus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Today's commute was an absolutely warm one which featured a 64F temperature.
Old 12-04-06, 07:31 PM
DataJunkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I do not know what is with me this season. I have absolutely no desire to ride on snow and ice. Maybe it has to do with my easy mass transit alternative or the fact that I have done it before. Just no desire.
I suppose it could improve if I had more appropriate equipment. 700X28 are pointless in snow.
Anyhow, my morning commute was evil and while the afternoon was better, I was still having issues with a crappy trail. Going to take a break tomorrow and let everything finish defrosting. Don't want to turn into a fair weather commuter, the possible end result of me getting annoyed. Wed it is!
Time to break out the stationary bike. No time to hit the gym tomorrow.
Old 12-04-06, 07:54 PM
tomg

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
cold, into the wind (33degF, 15 notts) going in. traffic was light, lights working 100%. got to work 30 mins early (froze at work AM meet, heater down - new office - 58degF )
ride home was colder, but wind to left back, pushing! traffic at 4PM though was over/all "OK", but there were several A/H who "had" to get infront, close passing, cut off, honk repeatedly as i held a lane (road sholder's torn-up).
i think the training sessions are starting in the new job sight/area.
i hope they (people in autos) are as train-able as those on my last commute route.
Old 12-04-06, 07:55 PM
JohnnyOTS
Ow.

Bikes: 2006 Kona Jake, 2003/4 Cervelo SuperProdigy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
66 degrees on the commute home - shoved the fleece jacket in the panniers and rode home in a T-Shirt and shorts. Made the 20 miles in 1 hour and 34 minutes - my best time yet. It's a good thing my Kona Jake can't talk. I suspect it would like to go considerably faster than 13mph average. Even more amazing, I actually saw 7 other people riding bicycles in the course of the trip! Le Gasp! A new record! One was even wearing...wait for it...a HELMET! And even more astonishing, a REFLECTIVE VEST! I won the "geekiest thing on the road" contest though, with my glasses mirror, helmet, reflective ankle bands, flash flag, and two PB Superflashes. I feel like Macaulay Culkin in The Pagemaster. (Before the animated bits.) Only older. And fatter. >.>
Old 12-04-06, 08:00 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Had to work late and just got home...man it felt colder out when I left tonight than it did this morning...but at least the wind was a tailwind!
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 12-04-06, 09:37 PM
ken cummings

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
32 on the way to work and 59 coming back. Shedding two layers added 4 MPH to my speed. Saw one cyclist in the AM and 25 on the way back.
Old 12-04-06, 10:41 PM
buzzman
----

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
great ride in this morning on my studded snows for the first time this year. there was a dusting of snow on the ground today. had to be at a meeting about 8 miles from work and another 8 home from there so ended up with about 30 miles on the studded tires today- I actually like the way they roll. With the rear milk crate jammed with stuff and the chunky studded tires my bike feels like a utility vehicle. I feel like I'm driving a four wheel drive go anywhere truck. The ride home in the 23 F crystal clear night was marvelous. Took a series of back roads I hadn't ridden in years and a stretch of new bike path I've never ridden. Was warm as toast.
Old 12-04-06, 11:16 PM
efschmid
Fat guy with a pony tail.

Bikes: 99 Trek 720

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My derailleur was still stuck this morning. Got a half a block from home turned around and went back to the garage to fix it up. A little lube on the cable took care of it. It was 17 degrees with an 18 mph wind from the SSW which is mostly at my back most of the way to work. It warmed up to 25 by the time I got off. The wind had died down to 15 mph form the SW, mostly in my face on the way home. All in all it was a good day!!! Every day I ride is a good day!!
Old 12-05-06, 12:17 AM
tokolosh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
kind of wide-eyed about how much of that snow is still around. it rose above freezing three or four days ago, but i guess it's still dropping below freezing at night because anywhere the roads haven't been cleared a whole bunch of it is still with us. just sitting there. in places it's just an inch or two of ice with water on top of it now. most of the roads in my neighbourhood are still a few inches under. still, i got to ride for longer stretches than i have all this week. one side of the mup has been cleared, which was the one i took this morning. i sort of figured they'd only do one, so on the way home i gambled on that hunch, and lost. walked over the bridge on the other side yet again. it's just solid lumpy ice now.

i don't seem to have the hang of studded tires. or maybe there's no real hang to get in a situation like this. my bike's jumping and slithering all over the place; i feel like a mountain biker or a rodeo dude. i start to think the tires are overkill and kind of pointless, then i get off the bike and find out there's black ice everywhere underfoot.

only something-teen days to the winter solstice.
Old 12-05-06, 01:12 AM
vrkelley
Enjoy

Bikes: Trek 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First day commuting on the new job. It's the 7th job I've commuted to...7 must be the lucky ticket. Rolled in, parked, got changed etc without a hitch!
Old 12-05-06, 06:44 AM
GreenAnvil

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Roubaix 1.0 LE

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 19 Posts
Good morning folks!

I have been laid off from work so there won't be any further bike commutes for now. Once I find another position and if it's feasible to bike commute to that location I will resume posting my daily logs here.

It's been a pleasure getting to know some of you by your posts in this forum. You all have been a very friendly and encouraging bunch.

May you have a very blessed, peaceful, healthy and prosperous Holiday Season.

Good roads to you all.

GreenAnvil
Old 12-05-06, 06:54 AM
vtjim
Belt drive!

Bikes: 2011 Trek Soho DLX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Crummy time to get laid off! Don't let the b*st*rds get you down. Good luck.

My cyclocomputer read 8F briefly, but spent most of its time at 13F. Clear sky. Another nice ride. Time for my breakfast. One clementine and one apple.
Old 12-05-06, 07:42 AM
ax0n
Trans-Urban Velocommando

Bikes: 06 Trek 1200 - 98 DB Outlook - 99 DB Sorrento

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Warming back up but there are still some patches of black ice around. I was almost as fast on my knobbies today as I was on my slicks before this whole weather mess got started. I can't wait for the ground to dry up completely so I can break out the slicks again. I wouldn't be surprised if my average speed on the slicks goes up by 3 MPH when I switch back.

My freaking saddle came really loose on the ride in today, out of nowhere. 2 major cleanings ago, I torqued it down pretty good. Must be the thermal effect of going in and out between the sub-freezing weather and my warm apartment. Anyhow, once I got off the bus, the ever trusty Park Tool MTB-3 came out to play, and everything is right in the world again.
Old 12-05-06, 07:43 AM
ax0n
Trans-Urban Velocommando

Bikes: 06 Trek 1200 - 98 DB Outlook - 99 DB Sorrento

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mmmm b-fast. Something I didn't get yet (no time before I left)

Time for a nanner and a bowl of maple brown sugar malt-o-meal.
Old 12-05-06, 07:46 AM
jeff-o
Recumbent Evangelist

Bikes: Rebel Cycles Trike, Trek 7500FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Better than yesterday.

I'm really looking forward to implementing rev. 2 of my lights, though! I'll feel a lot safer....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.