Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

27 inch wheels - how come?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

27 inch wheels - how come?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-20, 09:52 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Mostly I switch, for reasons of weight-saving (kevlar beaded tires and freehubs) and fat, supple tire options, but some high-end touring stuff is worth saving. I've seen a couple 40-spoke-rear/36-spoke-front wheelsets with those Suntour sealed hubs that seem like they'd run forever (as long as the axle doesn't break). Sometimes those venerable 27" Araya rims are even anodized, and it fades to a beautiful champagne color which complements the gray paint commonly found on old Univega tourers. One of my friends who had such a wheelset didn't want to spend the extra money to switch, so he commissioned me to build that rarest of birds: a 27" dynamo front wheel. He got a used 3N30 from his homeland of Germany, bought some Taiwanese spokes, and I built it up with the original Araya anodized rim. I put a solid axle in his rear hub, and with nearly-flatproof Schwalbe Marathon tires he's ready to set off wherever. The bike does weigh north of 35lbs though, and that's the downside.
Old 10-06-20, 10:55 AM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Many bikes that came with them are outfitted for them, especially the brakes, there can be other things that are a PITA to change as well.

One of the "Paramount" tenants can be "do no harm", many of the bikes that are original with them and are still original this far down the line need to stay that way to preserve them.

Case in point. 1958 Paramount,

Original wheels, including hubs and spokes.

And another Paramount, 75-6?

Original wheels laced to old Phil Wood hubs, likely very early on as this was fairly common back in the day.

Your Paramounts are gorgeous ! Thanks for sharing.
Likes For frogman:
Old 10-06-20, 01:20 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,392 Times in 3,676 Posts
Originally Posted by frogman
Your Paramounts are gorgeous ! Thanks for sharing.
Thank you sir, anytime.

They both present well, were in very good condition when they got to me so I'm just the steward.

The 58 was pretty grungy so pretty scary carefully chiseling petrified grease but went ok and turned out good.

Everything was in great condition for being 60 years old, especially the headset, hubs and bearings.

See here,

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...nt-p-12-a.html