Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2013!! How Was your Commute Today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2013!! How Was your Commute Today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-13, 07:11 AM
Mumonkan
Brown Jersey Winner

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
30F, used a lighter fleece hoodie today and still was a bit sweaty but not as much, would be the perfect combo for 20s

Everything was going fine till i got to the park i cut through to avoid the intersection in front of campus

Was beginning my turn into the lot and aparently the entire park was black ice, no ice anywhere else in my previous 11 miles. But the front tire went right out from under me and i fell on my other side (the side i didnt get hit by a car on) and slid about 30 feet

Was kinda fun, was loling soon as i hit the ground

Im officially an all season rider?
Old 02-06-13, 07:31 AM
Tractortom
recumbent bike advocate

Bikes: Bacchetta Belladare, long wheelbase

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A foggy ride to work this morning in 54 degree weather. Not much breeze, most drivers followed the rules, kind of uneventful really. A couple of the guys that I work with passed me a 1/2 mile from work, in the fog. I checked with them that they could see my Planet Bike Blinky Taillights in the fog, both told me 'yes', so I guess that is working to keep me safe. Hard to get much speed in the morning when it's cool like it was this morning....seems like I'm always faster in the afternoons.

Tractor Tom in Okeechobee, FL
Old 02-06-13, 08:07 AM
Telly
What, me worry?

Bikes: Corratec / Jamis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
...And I'm not commuting again because of moderate muscle pain, probably from a cold or flu. This year hasn't been very cooperative concerning bicycle commutes with severe weather and (thankfully mild) sick days. And it's also been three weeks since I've been trying to find a break during the weekend for some day touring, but it seems that every weekend the weather gets really nasty and clears up on Monday morning!

Oh well, I hope you're all enjoying your commutes!
Old 02-06-13, 08:14 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Fog here as well, 6°C which is pleasant with my setup. My speeds have improved with the warmer weather, and the final adjustments on my fairing. I think the morning traffic is finally getting used to seeing it; at least it's not stopping traffic any more.
Old 02-06-13, 08:47 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by aquateen
Something happened to me TWICE today that has never happened on my commute before. Two separate cars stayed behind me at a comfortable distance for a considerable amount of time. They had plenty opportunity to pass and at some points I even waved them on. I figured it out later that they were simply lighting my way. Not that I needed them to, but the gesture itself was pretty nice.
gee, in D.C. you sure they weren't some kinda spy tailing you! 29F, no wind, roads pretty dry and I was perfectly dressed. Dare I say it's warming up?!
Old 02-06-13, 09:06 AM
DogBoy
No one carries the DogBoy

Bikes: Roubaix Expert Di2, Jamis Renegade, Surly Disc Trucker, Cervelo P2, CoMotion Tandem

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yesterday I took a detour on the way home to run an errand, now this morning my legs were uncooperative. I forgot just how out of shape I had gotten. My challenge to myself is needed, and right now, its the only thing keeping me from wussing out and driving. Rode this morning though. That's what counts.
Old 02-06-13, 09:06 AM
dramiscram
ouate de phoque

Bikes: Bianchi, Nakamura,Opus

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
-12 celcius, big tailwind, easy ride.
Old 02-06-13, 11:26 AM
whitenhiemer

Bikes: 2013 Giant Escape CIty

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
45 F, and a huge head wind the whole way here. Brutal ride, even with it being so cold I got to work drenched in sweat. Good thing that they have showers in the parking garage.
Old 02-06-13, 09:30 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I started to skip this since you probably won't believe it, but what the heck. I was really jazzed starting out, fifteen minutes early to catch the sunshine, perfect weather, feeling great! Just after turning onto the Greenway I caught up behind this guy and he's going a pretty good clip so I debated just staying behind a little ways. He's got earplugs in and no idea that I'm back there, and he started waivering his speed - 18, 21 what have you, and with a kind of random line - so I dinged my bell and passed quickly. As I'm going by I hear the loud WTF (because of what I'm riding), more like "what the fuuuuuuu" fading in the distance I'm still chuckling a little while later, just after a big S turn, and another biker further down the straightaway stops his bike and stands straddling it, raises his fist high in the air and raises an exuberant shout "Yeah!", pumping his fist, literally cheering me all the way to the next turn!

I can't say that I've ever seen that sort of reaction before, not the second guy anyway, but I couldn't help but get a kick out of it.
Old 02-07-13, 12:02 AM
Mumonkan
Brown Jersey Winner

on my way home some guido says quietly out of his parked BMW where him and his buddy were presumably smoking weed

"stay safe playboy"

i audibly loled and keept on flowing

aparently just a wool shirt is what it takes for my arms to not sweat in the 30s, still had some backsweat from my bag but thats inevitable
Old 02-07-13, 06:29 AM
jrickards

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Today's commute was the worst, primarily because I rushed and took shortcuts and suffered as a result.

I didn't check the weather conditions but just relied on how it felt outside when I drove my wife into work for 6am. It felt cool but not bad. I see, now that I am on the computer, that it was -22C (-8F) with a wind chill of -32C (-26F) but on top of that, 75% of my route takes me into the wind so the wind chill was worse. I rushed and didn't put on my gators and my pants caught in the chain and ripped, I would have put on my extra warm wool socks instead of my lighter weight wool socks, I would have worn my snowboarding jacket instead of my short rain shell (I did put on a warm underlayer so my arms and chest were fine. In the end, my toes were freezing, my pen1s felt like it had been frost bitten (my longer snowboarding jacket would have protected my crotch) and my thumbs were freezing (I don't know what I could have done to prevent this, I was wearing the right mitts).

The riding conditions were horrible too: my bike was stuck in a slightly too high gear, the snow plow had tossed lumps of moderately hard snow onto the path making it feel like I was riding through sand in too high a gear.

Well, on the bright side, the rest of the day can't get worse. LOL

Furthermore, the temperature will rise through the day, the sun will be out and unless it changes direction, the wind will be at my back. I'll grab a rubber band to tie up my pant legs. The forecast also calls for 2-4cm (1-1.5") of snow so hopefully, the sidewalk plow will be out to clean up the mess.

Update: I discovered that I was carrying my old pant elastics so my pants didn't have to get ripped up if I had only checked. And, oh yeah, I short changed my lunch. It can only get better from here.

Last edited by jrickards; 02-07-13 at 06:58 AM.
Old 02-07-13, 06:31 AM
jrickards

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
I started to skip this since you probably won't believe it, but what the heck. I was really jazzed starting out, fifteen minutes early to catch the sunshine, perfect weather, feeling great! Just after turning onto the Greenway I caught up behind this guy and he's going a pretty good clip so I debated just staying behind a little ways. He's got earplugs in and no idea that I'm back there, and he started waivering his speed - 18, 21 what have you, and with a kind of random line - so I dinged my bell and passed quickly. As I'm going by I hear the loud WTF (because of what I'm riding), more like "what the fuuuuuuu" fading in the distance I'm still chuckling a little while later, just after a big S turn, and another biker further down the straightaway stops his bike and stands straddling it, raises his fist high in the air and raises an exuberant shout "Yeah!", pumping his fist, literally cheering me all the way to the next turn!

I can't say that I've ever seen that sort of reaction before, not the second guy anyway, but I couldn't help but get a kick out of it.
That's a great story!
Old 02-07-13, 06:38 AM
dcb23

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mumonkan
on my way home some guido says quietly out of his parked BMW where him and his buddy were presumably smoking weed

"stay safe playboy"

i audibly loled and keept on flowing

aparently just a wool shirt is what it takes for my arms to not sweat in the 30s, still had some backsweat from my bag but thats inevitable
This reminds me of a few weeks back when a guy was crossing the street and saw my blinking light so he launches into "Flash light" by Parliament.

Just at freezing, good ride in.
Old 02-07-13, 06:49 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Worst day so far.

2C/35F

at soon as I leave the house it starts hailing and freezing rain. this is in the city center (lowest elevation point in the area) and i commute into the foothills. as soon as i get out of the city, the sun came out and the weather was nice!

however, i now see the need for glasses and fenders.
Old 02-07-13, 07:15 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 2,646 Times in 952 Posts
First commute this week. Got the bike back from the shop yesterday afternoon. It really felt smooth. Apparently I had a broken rear axle.
Old 02-07-13, 07:18 AM
Mumonkan
Brown Jersey Winner

26F, no getting hit by cars or busting my ass on ice, not even very sweaty and slightly faster than usual

i even saw 2 cyclists on my way in!
Old 02-07-13, 07:22 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Rolled the dice and decided to ride today despite a storm system on the way later today. The forecasts are pretty iffy about the time of arrival for the rain, so I figure to have about a 50-50 chance of making it home dry. The rain is supposed to continue through tomorrow morning, so I plan to drive then and didn't want to miss two days of riding this week. I've lost a lot of rides so far this year due to lousy weather and would kick myself if I drove today and then the rain didn't arrive until tonight, which is very possible. The main flaw in my plan is that the rain is supposed to be very heavy, so I might end up having to catch a ride home this afternoon with a coworker, but at the least I'll get in a morning commute and over 100 miles for the week.
Old 02-07-13, 07:40 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
I'm guessing I will never have a better day to commute. Cloudy and mid 50s this morning with a mild tailwind (about 10 mph). This afternoon should still be cloudy with temps in the mid 60s. The wind is supposed to shift during the day so I should have a tailwind going home, too.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 02-07-13, 09:16 AM
dramiscram
ouate de phoque

Bikes: Bianchi, Nakamura,Opus

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No commute today, I had a hard time getting back home last night. I don't know why but as soon as the temperature get below -22 celcius my energy deplete a lot faster. So I ran out of energy last night and finished my commute at about 10-12 km/h on the lowest gear I had. This morning at -22 celcius with a big headwind: no way!
Old 02-07-13, 09:25 AM
Ridefreemc

Bikes: 2017 Kona TI, 2016 Bike Friday Haul-A-Day, 2015 Bike Friday New World Tourist (for sale), 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro - for now :)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Tractortom
A foggy ride to work this morning in 54 degree weather. Not much breeze, most drivers followed the rules, kind of uneventful really. A couple of the guys that I work with passed me a 1/2 mile from work, in the fog. I checked with them that they could see my Planet Bike Blinky Taillights in the fog, both told me 'yes', so I guess that is working to keep me safe. Hard to get much speed in the morning when it's cool like it was this morning....seems like I'm always faster in the afternoons.

Tom - I keep waiting for our winter to arrive! However, it has been cool enough to wear a backpack. Earlier this week I was wearing wool gloves, a fleece, and bright cycling windbreaker too. Yesterday just the windbreaker and sweating a little. Today, short sleeves on the way in (at 6:00 a.m.).
Old 02-07-13, 09:52 AM
Ridefreemc

Bikes: 2017 Kona TI, 2016 Bike Friday Haul-A-Day, 2015 Bike Friday New World Tourist (for sale), 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro - for now :)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jrickards
Today's commute was the worst, primarily because I rushed and took shortcuts and suffered as a result.

I didn't check the weather conditions but just relied on how it felt outside when I drove my wife into work for 6am. It felt cool but not bad. I see, now that I am on the computer, that it was -22C (-8F) with a wind chill of -32C (-26F) but on top of that, 75% of my route takes me into the wind so the wind chill was worse. I rushed and didn't put on my gators and my pants caught in the chain and ripped, I would have put on my extra warm wool socks instead of my lighter weight wool socks, I would have worn my snowboarding jacket instead of my short rain shell (I did put on a warm underlayer so my arms and chest were fine. In the end, my toes were freezing, my pen1s felt like it had been frost bitten (my longer snowboarding jacket would have protected my crotch) and my thumbs were freezing (I don't know what I could have done to prevent this, I was wearing the right mitts).

The riding conditions were horrible too: my bike was stuck in a slightly too high gear, the snow plow had tossed lumps of moderately hard snow onto the path making it feel like I was riding through sand in too high a gear.

Well, on the bright side, the rest of the day can't get worse. LOL

Furthermore, the temperature will rise through the day, the sun will be out and unless it changes direction, the wind will be at my back. I'll grab a rubber band to tie up my pant legs. The forecast also calls for 2-4cm (1-1.5") of snow so hopefully, the sidewalk plow will be out to clean up the mess.

Update: I discovered that I was carrying my old pant elastics so my pants didn't have to get ripped up if I had only checked. And, oh yeah, I short changed my lunch. It can only get better from here.
Good attitude But, you are well aware that to be a bicycle commuter you really need one!
Old 02-07-13, 09:55 AM
EKW in DC

Bikes: Trek 830 Mountain Track Drop bar conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good commuting this week. I've ditched the tights in favor of colder legs and shorts only for easier and quicker ride prep. This morning felt a but colder than yesterday morning despite the temp being the same. Guess the lack of sun and different wind direction made a bigger difference than I would have thought... more humid, too.

Had a very pleasant exchange with a jogger on the MUP this morning. Rang my bell on approach as always. He wasn't wearing earbuds so he actually heard it. As I passed him, he said in multiple sentences something to the effect of, "Thanks for the bell. I really appreciate it." He want being facetious. Either he was extra appreciative after unannounced (?) passes by the two cyclists somewhat ahead of me, he just likes to make a point of complete thanks for called passes, or he was just being an uber kind Australian (judging by accent). Whatever the case, it was nice to have my bell running heard, acknowledged, and so appreciated. You're welcome Aussie jogger, you're welcome.
Old 02-07-13, 12:18 PM
Tractortom
recumbent bike advocate

Bikes: Bacchetta Belladare, long wheelbase

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No commute for me today. I pumped tires yesterday afternoon before the commute home, and went about 105psi on both tires. Had a pretty good ride home, with the wind in my face. Just before I turned into our housing development off the access road I heard---"PLINK!"----

Damn! Just broke a spoke! So I rode the half dozen blocks home, and could tell the rear wheel was out of true when I tried to use the rear brake...but I was tired when I got home. So I brought the bike inside and checked 'quickly' for a broken spoke, but didn't see one???

Anyway, I drove the pickup to work today, and will tear into the bike tonight after work and see if I have a spoke that will fit it.... If not, I'll have to take the wheel to the bike shop in Sebring on Saturday when we are on the way to Orlando for the weekend.

If I have the correct spoke, I'll fix it myself and ride in tomorrow...

Old 02-07-13, 01:09 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Got out early, onto the bike trail and was able to get in my 2x20's before heading back towards downtown. Pulled into the garage just as the sprinkles started. Awesome.
Old 02-07-13, 01:23 PM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Easy commute for me this morning, 45 Deg.F to start, down to 41 by the time I got to the Metro station in Norwalk. No problem on the train, but got stopped by a Metro cop for riding my bike before being totally off the Metro station sidewalk at the Figeroa (Harbor Freeway) station.

He took out his "book" and flipped it open like he was going to write me a ticket, asked for my I.D. (showed him my California drivers license), but he just gave me a warning, so no worries. I walked my bike to the parking lot and took off.

Have to be more careful in the future!

Rick / OCRR

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.