Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Should a high quality very costly bike be based upon ability? Not cash in hand?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Should a high quality very costly bike be based upon ability? Not cash in hand?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-13, 05:00 PM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by CALE262
Funny and true...May not be applicable to the 41...
Now I don't care where you stand on income redistribution, that is funny stuff.

Old 06-16-13, 05:04 PM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by SolitaryRider
No, I get that. I mean, I like nice things, too- which is why I have a few nice bikes instead of a department store bike. But IMO, there comes a point (in any hobby) where the level of equipment loses all proportion; to where you have amateurs using stuff which is "better" than what the pros use. Of course, in many sports, such as cycling, the pros are sponsored and given certain equipment to use- not necessarily because it's better, but to create a demand for it among amateurs who want to be like the pros. Yet, I'll bet if one were to inquire as to what bikes these pros owned that they bought with their own money, and which they ride on their own time, one would be quite surprised. I'll bet they aren't the latest state-of-the-art techno-gimmick "velo-systems".

I was into art when I was younger. I never felt a need to buy an $800 sable brush. One can paint with no limitations with an $80 brush. The pros don't even use $800 brushes; only art students and wannabes do.

IMO, the "best" is something that has a look and feel which is pleasing and of quality; is durable; and which performs well enough so that it does not limit one's performance. I believe that one can achieve those things easily without getting near the uber-expensive category. It seems to me that when people get up into that category, that they are seeking something beyond the benefits that the equipment can offer relative to their participation in the sport or hobby.
Have you tried riding an uber bike equipped with the best? If not then hold the judgements and try one. Then get back to us.
Old 06-16-13, 05:19 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by AdelaaR
I laugh at your $12k bicycles.
My speaker cables are worth more.
I like it. Bike companies would love it if customers would spend endless amounts of time arguing over which piece of equipment is the best and why they need it right now. Oh wait . . .
Old 06-16-13, 05:29 PM
xoxoxoxoLive

Bikes: 2013 TREK 7.6 FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
You're envious, not jealous. (common mistake)

Maybe the UCI can set up qualifying time trials. Based on your time, you qualify for a bike of a certain cost.
For instance, sub 50 minute 40 k, no limit.
50 - 54 min, up to $6000
55-59 up to $5000
1 hr - 1:04 up to $4000
Etc

I should be riding a Huffy
That puts me on a Big Wheel..
Old 06-16-13, 06:07 PM
SolitaryRider
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveWC
Bingo. But this point will fly over the heads of those that put down people buying bikes that cost more than their own bikes. They ignore the people that suggest that a $1,000 or $2,500 bike is equally unnecessary, because they have found that that price level is necessary. It's all relative. Buy what you want and don't worry about what other people own. Funniest post on this thread is the "art hobby" comment about not needing an $800 sable brush as an $80 brush will do for him... fantastic irony.
It's not quite so cut and dry: I think most would agree that an $80K car being driven by someone worth a few mil is not extravagant. On the other hand, most would also agree that an A-rab oil sheik who has 50 cars that all cost well over $80K is ridiculous.

It is similar with bikes, or anything else. There is a point below which you can not get quality (Regardless of whether one can afford to purchase at that point or not); and there is a point at which quality stops increasing, and you just get blue-sky or bling for any additional money you spend- like the A-rab sheik, at a certain point, you stop increasing quality and function, and the metric becomes just the fact that you own it/them and what it/they cost- but it becomes irrelevant as to whether you're riding in the $180K Bentley off the showroom floor, or the gold-plated custom-made Benz; or whether you're riding the $2K DA bike with allow wheels or the $12K Di2 bike with $2K CF wheels. Or whether your kid is playing hockey with a $20 wooden stick or a $300 CF stick......At a certain point, it ceases to be about the hobby/sport/function, and becomes some quest for something apart from those things.
Old 06-16-13, 08:07 PM
Commodus

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
If you're racing, your equipment doesn't matter unless it breaks.

If you're not, you can assign any value to your bike stuff you like. If you like shiny things, buy 'em, nobody gives a crap so long as you can hold your line.
Old 06-16-13, 09:08 PM
R1lee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So bling peeps can't buy bling bikes due to their noob status? So we limit them.

what happens if your awesomely awesome, but you gotsta barely money to fund milk for the kids? Is there a government fund to help us out?
Old 06-16-13, 09:43 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
It's not quite so cut and dry: I think most would agree that an $80K car being driven by someone worth a few mil is not extravagant. .
Your first sentence is way off base. There are many, many people driving $80,000 cars that certainly aren't worth anywhere near a million, much less a few. Just walk into a Mercedes or BMW dealer any weekend and see all the $80K vehicles going out the door. Even Chevy and Ford dealers have constant $60K vehicles sold.
Old 06-16-13, 09:57 PM
SolitaryRider
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
Your first sentence is way off base. There are many, many people driving $80,000 cars that certainly aren't worth anywhere near a million, much less a few. Just walk into a Mercedes or BMW dealer any weekend and see all the $80K vehicles going out the door. Even Chevy and Ford dealers have constant $60K vehicles sold.
Yeah, I realize that. A friend of mine used to date this girl- her parents didn't have a pot to pee in, and they were leasing a new Town Car- but that just further complicates the discussion. Someone worth a few mil can afford an $80K car. Someone who's not worth $100K can't. My point is, just because one can afford something, doesn't mean they should necessarily buy it. I know a few people who are worth quite few mil...and they don't buy new $80K cars- they drive salvage vehicles. I'm operating under the assumption that we are talking about people who can easily afford a $10K bicycle.
Old 06-17-13, 05:21 AM
DaveWC

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
It's not quite so cut and dry: I think most would agree that an $80K car being driven by someone worth a few mil is not extravagant. On the other hand, most would also agree that an A-rab oil sheik who has 50 cars that all cost well over $80K is ridiculous.
You say it's not cut & dried while completely ignoring my point. I'm not talking about whether someone "should" buy a $10k bike. That's an idiotic thing to even consider since there is no "should" when it comes to a person's spending. No one, outside of their immediate family, gets to decide what they "should" be buying. My point was that on the one hand you seem to think you know what the upper $ limit on a bike is, and in the same thread you discuss your need for $80 sable paint brushes and Citizen watches (because Timex is just too cheesy). Tell me, in the same vein as you comment about how a $10k bike delivers nothing more than a $2k bike (other than style), what exactly do you get from a Citizen watch that you don't get from a Timex? You're ignoring the irony of your own financial decisions while questioning the decisions of others.

Last edited by DaveWC; 06-17-13 at 07:10 AM.
Old 06-17-13, 05:24 AM
DaveWC

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sleepy
Love capitalistic materialist busting out with the reverse Hippy "Do what you want, if it feels good, do it. If it feels good, buy it!"
You think you have a point to make and you'll force it into every response whether it's applicable or not. You've found common ground with SolitaryRider in criticizing capitalistic, materialistic people while ignoring his own capitalistic, materialistic posts. When I point out the irony of his posts, you just plow ahead with your own talking points, logic be damned.
Old 06-17-13, 05:41 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
I was in a position to get some really nice stuff, without even realising how top-notch stuff it was. For me personally, it is better to start with lower quality, because you enjoy going up - as you improve and are able to exploit the advantages of improved equipment.

Sometimes you learn faster with slightly lower quality stuff. E.g. low quality shifters and derailleurs will teach you not to stomp on the pedals while downshifting, while if you ride top stuff, you might not learn so quickly (because it is for racing and you don't want to waste power while racing...).

There is also one more thing to consider: I'd never ride/use something so expensive for my income that I'm afraid to damage it through normaln use. I have a nice bike, but when going shopping, or to a pub, I always take the old ugly looking "mule", because I am relaxed when leaving the mule parked unattended, or if I crash it in the dark on some bad road.

And it is a bit funny when I see that a bike is a lot better than the rider. I don't think I'm jealous when saying that - my bike is nice... and a lot better than myself as a rider.
Old 06-17-13, 07:07 AM
gc3
Falls Downalot

Bikes: Now I Got Two

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
....that an A-rab oil sheik .... like the A-rab sheik.....
Can you please be more clear on which group it is you really hate, I'm getting confused...is it foreigners or 1-percenters...?
Old 06-17-13, 07:34 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
aOMG! What have I done.....a simple post became a sociological thesis. We all agree those who can do buy better stuff not much more than that. However, it does sux when you have a skill but cannot access the things that make you better. Carry one
Old 06-17-13, 07:40 AM
mprelaw

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by thehammerdog
aOMG! What have I done.....a simple post became a sociological thesis. We all agree those who can do buy better stuff not much more than that. However, it does sux when you have a skill but cannot access the things that make you better. Carry one
In your next life, study harder in school.
Old 06-17-13, 07:50 AM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Its boils down to this. You can buy whatever you want, its your money. But, if you have an expensive bike and you're a slow noob, some people might laugh at you - just like we laugh at the guy in the Ferrari who wrecks his car because he cant drive. Yeah, its a little jealousy, but its still funny.

BTW - I hate the phrase "Improve yourself" being associated with higher earning. Gaining a skill or going through the networking that can result in a higher income is not always an improvement. It also tends to reinforce the assumption many have that the rich have worked harder or are smarter than others who have less. I've met a lot of dumbass rich people in my life and some hard working poor people. Its kind of cliché, but the key is learning to be happy with what you have, or what you can afford. You can have a lot of fun on a $300 bike, or a $1000 bike, or a $10,000 bike.
Old 06-17-13, 08:01 AM
SirHustlerEsq

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Worthiness is not based upon strengths in cyclings, it's based around the social order defined by your affluence. The dude on the C59 Italia Disk doesn't care that he's slower than you because he's going to drive home in his G-Series, park next to his Lambo and Ferrari, then go home to his super-model wife. He already won before you started caring about who rides what. No matter how fast you go, the guy on the expensive bike is always "better than you" in all aspects of life.
Old 06-17-13, 08:06 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Songwriters: ANDERSSON, BENNY GORAN BROR / ULVAEUS, BJOERN K. / KOTLIAR, MARCELO

I work all night, I work all day, to pay the bills I have to pay
Ain't it sad

And still there never seems to be a single penny left for me
That's too bad

In my dreams I have a plan
If I got me a wealthy man
I wouldn't have to work at all, I'd fool around and have a ball...

Money, money, money
Must be funny
In the rich man's world
Money, money, money
Always sunny
In the rich man's world
Aha-ahaaa
All the things I could do
If I had a little money
It's a rich man's world

A man like that is hard to find but I can't get him off my mind
Ain't it sad

And if he happens to be free I bet he wouldn't fancy me
That's too bad

So I must leave, I'll have to go
To Las Vegas or Monaco
And win a fortune in a game, my life will never be the same...

Money, money, money
Must be funny
In the rich man's world
Money, money, money
Always sunny
In the rich man's world
Aha-ahaaa
If I had a little money
It's a rich man's world

Money, money, money
Must be funny
In the rich man's world
Money, money, money
Always sunny
In the rich man's world
Aha-ahaaa
If I had a little money
It's a rich man's world
It's a rich man's world
Old 06-17-13, 08:08 AM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by SirHustlerEsq
Worthiness is not based upon strengths in cyclings, it's based around the social order defined by your affluence. The dude on the C59 Italia Disk doesn't care that he's slower than you because he's going to drive home in his G-Series, park next to his Lambo and Ferrari, then go home to his super-model wife. He already won before you started caring about who rides what. No matter how fast you go, the guy on the expensive bike is always "better than you" in all aspects of life.
What a crap attitude. A person's inherent worth is based on the size of his bank account? And you appear to be envious of it.

Old 06-17-13, 08:12 AM
gc3
Falls Downalot

Bikes: Now I Got Two

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
Songwriters: ANDERSSON, BENNY GORAN BROR / ULVAEUS, BJOERN K. / KOTLIAR, MARCELO

I work all night, I work all day, to pay the bills I have to pay
Ain't it sad ....
Old 06-17-13, 08:48 AM
SirHustlerEsq

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
What a crap attitude. A person's inherent worth is based on the size of his bank account? And you appear to be envious of it.
Pick your idiom. I will never buy the super-flashy stuff because I don't like wearing the target. I'm trying to justify spending money on a nicer bike, but can't find the utility in spending the money...yet.
Old 06-17-13, 08:51 AM
SolitaryRider
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveWC
You say it's not cut & dried while completely ignoring my point. I'm not talking about whether someone "should" buy a $10k bike. That's an idiotic thing to even consider since there is no "should" when it comes to a person's spending. No one, outside of their immediate family, gets to decide what they "should" be buying. My point was that on the one hand you seem to think you know what the upper $ limit on a bike is, and in the same thread you discuss your need for $80 sable paint brushes and Citizen watches (because Timex is just too cheesy). Tell me, in the same vein as you comment about how a $10k bike delivers nothing more than a $2k bike (other than style), what exactly do you get from a Citizen watch that you don't get from a Timex? You're ignoring the irony of your own financial decisions while questioning the decisions of others.
I think YOU'RE failing to see the point. Take the watch analogy: A $100 citizen vs. a $40 Timex. Even though $100 is more than $40 (Hey, I watched Sesame Street.... Yesterday ) $100 is not a huge sum of money- especially for something that will last many years; for somethinjg that will out-last the Timex. And in my case, I have an "Eco-Drive" in which the battery is recharged by the sun, so, so far, in 6 years of ownership, I have never had to replace a battery- not bad for a $99 watch!

Now on the other hand, how much benefit and value would I get if I were to buy a $10K bike, over what I already have in a used Ultegra bike which cost me $700? I love my Ultegra bike, but really, it's not like it's night anjd day above my first entry-level bike. The differences are subtle. I would have felt like I wasted a lot of money had I bought the Ultegra bike brand new for the $3000 it cost then. The difference in the bikes, which just amounts to "feel", is not worth a few thousand dollars.

I think the only "benefit" to a $10K bike, is that you know what all the carbon high-tech and electronic gimmickry is supposed to do for you, and therefor you say "It's the best"; but if you didn't know that, you likely wouldn't be able to tell the difference between that bike and one that cost a quarter as much.

Another thing I've noticed, is that many of the people with these super-expensive bikes, never seem to keep them long. A year or two, and then they're buying a newer one. Why, if they're so great? It's the mindset! Newest; latest; greatest; Can't be seen on an old bike, 'cause a 7 year-old Venge is like a 7 year-old Cadillac and won't impress anyone.
Old 06-17-13, 08:58 AM
Square Wheels
Banned.

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert Compact

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I just started riding, and have a bike with far more potential than me.
On Saturday, I went for a ride on the bike this forum has determined I don't deserve.
I rode with a guy in his early 60's (I'm 49) on an old steel frame fixie that he just put together from parts he had laying around. He rode it for the first time on our ride.
I had my ass handed to me several times on our 30 mile ride.

Does that mean I should trade in my sweet ride for a steel fixie? Nope, ain't happening.
I'll get better, I'll never be great and I'll never race.

I like nice toys and this is one of them.

Not only do I not deserve the awesome bike I own, I clearly don't deserve the awesome carbon bars my wife gave me for my birthday today.

I read through a lot of the posts here, I guess I don't understand why others care what I have. Are there sympathy threads for great riders who are relegated to riding Walmart bikes? I'm sure there are plenty of them who who kick my ass too. I don't feel bad for them, nor jealous of someone riding a Dogma. I have what I have, you have what you have, now let's just ride and be friends.
Old 06-17-13, 09:01 AM
SolitaryRider
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SirHustlerEsq
...and pass-out every night in an alcohol or drug-induced coma [like all the celebrities] because he devoted his life to the pursuit of those "things", and yet they fail to make him happy, because that's not what life is about.
Old 06-17-13, 09:09 AM
Allez07

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Allez Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Honestly, I see nothing wrong with spending money on a good quality bike if you have it...even if you're a complete noob.

I'm pretty new to cycling myself and my experience went somewhat like that: I went to a LBS for my birthday last year, decided to get a road bike, financed it (being the poor grad student that I am I had to at the moment), walked out with a brand new Specialized Allez having ZERO experience riding road bikes....and I mean ZERO, as in "never ridden a road bike in my life before". I always had bikes as a kid but just the average, cheap hybrid that you use to ride with your friends, nothing serious. I felt like I had to start from scratch, learning how to ride a bike all over again pretty much, and I'm sure people probably thought that bike was too nice for someone like me. Five months after that I rode my first 68 miles at Tour de Cure at a decent pace for a true beginner (18mph). If I had chosen a bike based on my "level" at the time I would've ended up with something really crappy and I wouldn't have been able to pull that off in only a few months. Plus, the learning curve would have been an unpleasant/frustrating experience. Granted, I bought an entry level bike and not something that costs $5k, but the principle behind it remains the same, since at the time the bike still was too much for me in terms of skills. I did have to spend some extra money down the road in order to "customize" the bike a little more based on my riding preferences (such as new handlebars, saddle, pedals, etc...), but having a decent bike definitely helped me add more miles to it and made learning much more fun.

Having said that, I also think there needs to be some common sense. Like someone already said, if you're a complete noob it won't make much sense to get an uber expensive bike that you don't really know you'll like yet, and that probably says something about the bike shop too (as I would expect them to guide you a little better if you know nothing about bikes). But hey, if you have the money to spare on a fancy bike and you can add/change things eventually, then go for it. If getting a better bike means you'll be putting in more miles and it'll encourage you to ride, then more power to you.

Just my newbie 2 cents.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.