Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Should a high quality very costly bike be based upon ability? Not cash in hand?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Should a high quality very costly bike be based upon ability? Not cash in hand?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-13, 08:11 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 373 Posts
Originally Posted by RT
I disagree with the broadness of your assertion. Take a look at the mechanics forum - you don't see the same hand-wringing and snark in there that you do in here. Wrenching is also a hobby, and I do not think the term 'most' applies, at least not in my world.
Every hobby I've engaged in, there has always been enthusiatic newbs that bought expensive equipment they didn't know how to use. More experineced people in the hobby tend to think these people are rather silly, although most people tend to keep it to themselves.

Applying the mechanic's example, I'd bet that many experienced mechanics would get a chuckle out of someone who decided to spend tens of thousands of dollars outfitting a shop if that person had never turned a wrench, and didn't know an alan bolt from a phillips head screw.

YMMV.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 06-14-13, 08:12 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
every hobby i've engaged in, there has always been enthusiatic newbs that bought expensive equipment they didn't know how to use. More experineced people in the hobby tend to think these people are rather silly, although most people tend to keep it to themselves.

Applying the mechanic's example, i'd bet that many experienced mechanics would get a chuckle out of someone who decided to spend tens of thousands of dollars outfitting a shop if that person had never turned a wrench, and didn't know an alan bolt from a phillips head screw.

Ymmv.
mmdv :-d
Old 06-14-13, 08:18 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
This is about the third trolling thread OP has started in the last few days. Go away.
If the OP generates a conversation and others appear to want to partake is it really trolling??? Perhaps you can educate us all on what & how to post an interesting and educational and fun post. I'll wait.....
Old 06-14-13, 08:20 AM
svtmike

Bikes: S-Works Roubaix SL2^H4, Secteur Sport, TriCross, Kaffenback, Lurcher 29er

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thehammerdog
If the OP generates a conversation and others appear to want to partake is it really trolling??? Perhaps you can educate us all on what & how to post an interesting and educational and fun post. I'll wait.....
Step 1 is to come up with a topic that hasn't already been beat to an unrecognizable pulp countless times before. Try that.
Old 06-14-13, 08:24 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Cycling in Syria...that's not beat up yet is it?
Old 06-14-13, 08:27 AM
danmc

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Obviously, people are free to spend their own money any way they want.

That said it does make sense for newbies to put in some time, and work their way up, before making major expenditures. Not because they dont' "deserve" a nice bike, but it's a good idea to take some time and figure out what you actually need and want.
Yes, when I bought my Specialized Allez last year April, I basically thought there were only three types of bikes: hybrid, mountain, and road. I had been riding a hybrid and knew that I wanted one of them bikes with the droopy handlebars to ride on the road but other than that had no clue. Now riding it for over a year, ok, so I'm still clueless, but learning more about how I like to ride and what I really want, e.g. I recently un-flipped my stem and am going to replace one of my chainrings.

It would be really foolish for someone just getting interested in road cycling to drop $5,000 on a bike that they'll realize in a few months doesn't fit their needs, but hey, if they've got the money to spend.
Old 06-14-13, 08:27 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by svtmike
Step 1 is to come up with a topic that hasn't already been beat to an unrecognizable pulp countless times before. Try that.
You first! Clearly there is a limited amount of topics that are conversation worthy in the world of cycling.

Would it be better to just bring back zombie threads? Should the forum just consist of a dozen or so several hundred page threads that no one reads the content of because they're too long? New forum readers, like myself, aren't tired of some of these topics yet.
Old 06-14-13, 08:31 AM
svtmike

Bikes: S-Works Roubaix SL2^H4, Secteur Sport, TriCross, Kaffenback, Lurcher 29er

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RPK79
You first! Clearly there is a limited amount of topics that are conversation worthy in the world of cycling.

Would it be better to just bring back zombie threads? Should the forum just consist of a dozen or so several hundred page threads that no one reads the content of because they're too long? New forum readers, like myself, aren't tired of some of these topics yet.
I don't start threads unless there's something I want to discuss, after searching for previous discussions. So don't look for me to start a lot of threads.

OP sometimes starts three threads a day, with very tired subject matter. It only adds to the noise level here.
Old 06-14-13, 08:36 AM
bonz50

Bikes: 2013 Synapse 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Because you're paying a substantial amount of money to finance the unnecessary purchase of a depreciating asset.

You'll likely end up in a situation where the debt exceeds the value of the bike for a number of years, depending on how you finance it. If you dont have the cash for such a discretionary purchase, it makes little sense to incur that financial risk.

"Compound interest is the eighth wonder of the world. He who understands it, earns it ... he who doesn't ... pays it"
I agree with you, but the same is true of cars as well, average new car purchased in the USA is now over $30k, i don't know ANYONE who buys 'em for cash.

I think its silly to buy 'toys' on credit. however, there are instances where it is a good idea IF you are a responsible user of credit. like if they are offering 0% for 12 months. rarely though do people pay it off prior to getting charged with interest though. those that do are using it wisely.

some people with low means view finances on a monthly cash flow point of view with little regard to long term financial health. and often the reason so many people have a ton of recurring $5-10 monthly charges (ugh, don't get me started on that stuff!!)
Old 06-14-13, 08:38 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Originally Posted by tagaproject6
Cycling in Syria...that's not beat up yet is it?
If I cycle in Syria, will the Chemical exposure make me test positive for PED's?
Old 06-14-13, 08:38 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by RT
Because we do not agree does not make either one of us right. We also do not share the same hobbies, although we apparently have one in common. Merely stating my experience.

...and we've had this conversation before.
I don't think "we've"ever had a conversation before, and if so it certainly wasn't this one.
Old 06-14-13, 08:54 AM
bonz50

Bikes: 2013 Synapse 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Every hobby I've engaged in, there has always been enthusiatic newbs that bought expensive equipment they didn't know how to use. More experineced people in the hobby tend to think these people are rather silly, although most people tend to keep it to themselves.

Applying the mechanic's example, I'd bet that many experienced mechanics would get a chuckle out of someone who decided to spend tens of thousands of dollars outfitting a shop if that person had never turned a wrench, and didn't know an alan bolt from a phillips head screw.

YMMV.
one thing I've learned over the years is this. generally speaking, if you buy crap equipment you are often gonna have a crap experience and be left with crap equipment you can't resell. if you buy up a little and get decent (not necessarily high end) equipment you'll get a more true experience and if you then don't like it or don't continue with it, at least you can resell your decent gear and get some of your cash back.

as I've said many time on several different forums (this one included), I can't afford to buy cheap stuff. that does not mean buy a McLaren Venge, it means buying smart. I would never have bought a GMC Denali to get into road cycling, but my GT has been excellent and worth every penny even though I didn't buy expensive stuff.
Old 06-14-13, 09:01 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

If I cycle in Syria, will the Chemical exposure make me test positive for PED's?
That was such an obscure reference, I didn't think anyone would follow...
Old 06-14-13, 09:01 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by RT
mmdv :-d
The thing is, your assertion was over a scope broader than your experience. It doesn't matter if you don't see it in your other hobbies; the fact that it does occur in other hobbies you don't pursue does mean that the phenomenon occurs in other venues. Including in the real world.
Old 06-14-13, 09:05 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Is it OK to be a newby with a new Dragonfly Calfee with full dura ace?
How does this affect you?

I mean, sure, you got so annoyed you had to start a thread about it. But really it's no skin off your back.
Old 06-14-13, 09:08 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Sometimes I ride my Cervelo slowly. Last weekend I went backpacking, and carried far too much stuff (warmth and camera gear) up six miles up a mountain, then back down the next day. The following day I went for a real slow recovery ride, in my clipless sandals.
Old 06-14-13, 09:12 AM
danmc

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Sometimes I ride my Cervelo slowly. Last weekend I went backpacking, and carried far too much stuff (warmth and camera gear) up six miles up a mountain, then back down the next day. The following day I went for a real slow recovery ride, in my clipless sandals.

You should be ashamed of yourself; this belongs on the "Confessions" thread...
Old 06-14-13, 09:14 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Sometimes I ride my Cervelo slowly. The following day I went for a real slow recovery ride, in my clipless sandals.
thank god you weren't in a bikini.
Old 06-14-13, 09:15 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
How does this affect you?

I mean, sure, you got so annoyed you had to start a thread about it. But really it's no skin off your back.
Well, as I was taking care of my morning business and reading the latest Road Bike action they reviewed the New Calfee suspension bike and I was drooling hoping to win the lottery just to have the chance to how one.....it got me to thinking??? am I worthy? Sadly nope was the answer, purely based on my empty wallet, thus the post...sorry if it ruined your day, but sometimes it does get under my skin that money = better stuff and the quality of the athlete = zippo. Luv that bike...
Old 06-14-13, 09:18 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Well, as I was taking care of my morning business and reading the latest Road Bike action they reviewed the New Calfee suspension bike and I was drooling hoping to win the lottery just to have the chance to how one.....it got me to thinking??? am I worthy? Sadly nope was the answer, purely based on my empty wallet, thus the post...sorry if it ruined your day, but sometimes it does get under my skin that money = better stuff and the quality of the athlete = zippo. Luv that bike...
Once you turn pro they'll give you the equipment according to your ability.
Old 06-14-13, 09:20 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Why does it get under your skin? Money provides access to better... more or less everything.
Old 06-14-13, 09:21 AM
tagaproject6

Originally Posted by RPK79
Once you turn pro they'll give you the equipment according to how well you can sell their bikes and make them money.
fify
Old 06-14-13, 09:21 AM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
I like it - no carbon anything until you can demonstrate your ability to dial it up to 400W and drope the hamer.
Old 06-14-13, 09:25 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by pallen
I like it - no carbon anything until you can demonstrate your ability to dial it up to 400W and drope the hamer.
What's the bonus for slamdancing?
Old 06-14-13, 09:29 AM
tagaproject6

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
What's the bonus for slamdancing?
A slammed stem

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.