Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Living car free, 5 year predictions

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Living car free, 5 year predictions

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-17, 10:36 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker
it's just that caps come across as shouting.

How the heck would you know the mannerism of some person behind a keyboard, which you never met in real life ??.
Old 02-25-17, 11:13 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
How the heck would you know the mannerism of some person behind a keyboard, which you never met in real life ??.
ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

Admit it - it looked like I was shouting.
Old 02-25-17, 05:24 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Too bad when the voice of reason is in all caps.
Old 02-25-17, 07:21 PM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Walter S
Too bad when the voice of reason is in all caps.
It wasn't reason. It was a prediction that drones would all be banned, presumably out of fear for replacing human slavery with machine slavery; because don't you know the human slaves can only get their money if they stop the machines from doing the driving and deliveries?
Old 02-26-17, 04:58 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2671 Post(s)
Liked 1,151 Times in 872 Posts
Originally Posted by tandempower
It wasn't reason. It was a prediction that drones would all be banned, presumably out of fear for replacing human slavery with machine slavery; because don't you know the human slaves can only get their money if they stop the machines from doing the driving and deliveries?
... i take your "reasonable" 5 year counter prediction to be that drones will fill urban skies byways & hi ways thereby efficiently replacing the slave labor currently driving and making deliveries and that these newly liberated displaced slaves can migrate to new fields on bicycles because they will be car free, work free, and $$$ free
Old 02-26-17, 07:37 AM
tandempower

Originally Posted by jack pot
... i take your "reasonable" 5 year counter prediction to be that drones will fill urban skies byways & hi ways thereby efficiently replacing the slave labor currently driving and making deliveries and that these newly liberated displaced slaves can migrate to new fields on bicycles because they will be car free, work free, and $$$ free
No, I don't want to engage in debate with you because of your aggressive and hostile stance. If you want to discuss politics, let's do so in the p&r sub-forum.
Old 02-26-17, 09:18 AM
wolfchild
Banned

No, I don't want to engage in debate with you because of your aggressive and hostile stance. If you want to discuss politics, let's do so in the p&r sub-forum.

It's not your job to teach other people forum etiquette and how they should talk or express themselves. Let it go, because anybody is allowed to come here and post their ideas and opinions. There are no forum rules which say that EVERYBODY HAS TO AGREE WITH YOU OR AGREE WITH OP AND THERE ARE NO RULES WHICH FORBID PEOPLE FROM USING A BIT OF POETRY OR SARCASM TO EXPRESS THEMSELVES...This entire thread is a mixture of politics, crystal ball prophecies, economics, science fiction and other things which are irrelevant to LCF and transportational cycling.
Old 02-26-17, 11:07 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

It's not your job to teach other people forum etiquette and how they should talk or express themselves. Let it go, because anybody is allowed to come here and post their ideas and opinions. There are no forum rules which say that EVERYBODY HAS TO AGREE WITH YOU OR AGREE WITH OP AND THERE ARE NO RULES WHICH FORBID PEOPLE FROM USING A BIT OF POETRY OR SARCASM TO EXPRESS THEMSELVES...This entire thread is a mixture of politics, crystal ball prophecies, economics, science fiction and other things which are irrelevant to LCF and transportational cycling.
So you agree - caps are for shouting?

Anyway, folks please stick to LCF 5 year predictions and progress reports.
Old 02-26-17, 11:25 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
So you agree - caps are for shouting?
Posts on LCF that are mixtures of politics, crystal ball prophecies, economics, science fiction, etc. are irrelevant to LCF and transportational cycling whether they are 5 year predictions or not, whether they are shouted in all caps or whispered in cooker-tandempower-approved capitalized fonts.
Old 02-26-17, 11:31 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Posts on LCF that are mixtures of politics, crystal ball prophecies, economics, science fiction, etc. are irrelevant to LCF and transportational cycling whether they are 5 year predictions or not, whether they are shouted in all caps or whispered in cooker-tandempower-approved capitalized fonts.
What is relevant to LCF?
Old 02-26-17, 11:51 AM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
I also read somewhere that... VW has said they will be selling an autonomous vehicle in 2025... Tell them it's pie in the sky thinking/dreaming... Should make everyone safer, including bicycle riders/pedestrians...

Last edited by 350htrr; 02-26-17 at 12:03 PM. Reason: add stuff
Old 02-26-17, 11:54 AM
tandempower

Some people exercise the liberty of behaving themselves without rules, masters, and whips. Apparently you don't believe in that, but by posting about it here instead of in P&R, you're trolling.
Old 02-26-17, 12:14 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

What is relevant to LCF?
Available public transit options, and for some people, bicycling options to walking everywhere; or going nowhere as an option.

Odes to ascetic preferences and fantasy schemes are not.
Old 02-26-17, 12:23 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Some people exercise the liberty of behaving themselves without rules, masters, and whips. Apparently you don't believe in that, but by posting about it here instead of in P&R, you're trolling.
Sez the fellow notorious for posting numerous Gratuitous P&R commentary/rants on this list and then complaining that posters who disagree are lacking "respect", and/or complaining that posters who disagree with your gratuitous P&R commentary/rants are trying to derail the thread to the P&R list.
Old 02-26-17, 12:30 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by 350htrr
I also read somewhere that... VW has said they will be selling an autonomous vehicle in 2025... Tell them it's pie in the sky thinking/dreaming... Should make everyone safer, including bicycle riders/pedestrians...

Should make everyone safer, DOESN'T MEAN IT WILL MAKE EVERYONE SAFER...And how do you persecute a robot or a piece of software in a court of law or how do issue a traffic infraction, if they are involved in an accident or hit and run or breaking some other traffic laws ??...
Old 02-26-17, 12:42 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Should make everyone safer, DOESN'T MEAN IT WILL MAKE EVERYONE SAFER...And how do you persecute a robot or a piece of software in a court of law or how do issue a traffic infraction, if they are involved in an accident or hit and run or breaking some other traffic laws ??...
I would say, any accident with an autonomous vehicle would have reams of info recorded, a 360* view of everything and everyone... Better than eye witnesses any day. IMO And yes, it does mean everyone will be safer. Once the technology gets past the first few hundred deaths, and starts to work as needed...
Old 02-26-17, 01:30 PM
350htrr

The future of bicycling.
Old 02-26-17, 01:48 PM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That doesn't commit VW to do spit. It's good marketing that gets people like you all keyed up and giddy about the technology. Driverless cars have serious technical and legal issues and may never be approved for use without a dedicated hands on veto thru manual control.
Old 02-26-17, 02:13 PM
350htrr

That doesn't commit VW to do spit. It's good marketing that gets people like you all keyed up and giddy about the technology. Driverless cars have serious technical and legal issues and may never be approved for use without a dedicated hands on veto thru manual control.
Hedging your prediction I see...

I agree for the first little while, manual intervention will be a legal must, and that will fail as people will be too trusting of the technology and will not pay attention, will just not do it conscientiously enough to make a difference.

What will happen, is driving will be taken away from humans on public roads once it is proven that it will save the 40,000 lives lost every year to human drivers, and autonomous vehicles will prevail 100% on public roads, for safety reasons... IMO
Old 02-26-17, 04:40 PM
350htrr

Well now, My point is/was trying to be, that others IN the game (not just dreamers like me), are investing billions, and do think it's a viable project, not pie in the sky like some here have said... Practically every major car manufacturer is trying and thinking that they can, do it... And make $$$ with it...
Old 02-26-17, 05:24 PM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well now, My point is/was trying to be, that others IN the game (not just dreamers like me), are investing billions, and do think it's a viable project, not pie in the sky like some here have said... Practically every major car manufacturer is trying and thinking that they can, do it... And make $$$ with it...
The technology they develop for various levels of autonomous operation has market appeal regardless of whether or not truly driverless cars are ever possible given issues with technology such as sensors that work only in good weather, and a number of legal/liability issues.

The car manufacturers all want to position themselves as leaders and aspire to the full challenges of driverless cars. I maintain that this is just smart marketing. It dovetails nicely with their investment in features like automatic parking, lane changing, etc. while never necessarily going much further than that.

To make a compelling argument that driverless cars will happen you need to support that with more than the fact that car manufacturers talk a lot about it in marketing materials.
Old 02-26-17, 05:37 PM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hedging your prediction I see...

I agree for the first little while, manual intervention will be a legal must, and that will fail as people will be too trusting of the technology and will not pay attention, will just not do it conscientiously enough to make a difference.

What will happen, is driving will be taken away from humans on public roads once it is proven that it will save the 40,000 lives lost every year to human drivers, and autonomous vehicles will prevail 100% on public roads, for safety reasons... IMO
What about people in rural areas that drive trucks and farm equipment on dirt roads? What about people that navigate a four-wheel jeep up a frozen mountain road in the winter to their cabin? Those people don't get to exist anymore? You'll get push-back that will last for generations at least.

I've just scratched the surface with a couple of niche items. There are emergency vehicle drivers that navigate around novel situations in the roads that totally driverless car is just not going to figure out in the foreseeable future. Many other examples I don't have time to write. The world is complex and driverless cars have operated nowhere at all. And not adequately tested around children and bicycle riders. And everybody pretends the sensor issues will solve themselves somehow. Technology does not happen because you want it. That's why we don't have things like personal aircraft, that we were sure to have by now. But we DO have the internet, which nobody even thought of.
Old 02-26-17, 06:53 PM
350htrr

The technology they develop for various levels of autonomous operation has market appeal regardless of whether or not truly driverless cars are ever possible given issues with technology such as sensors that work only in good weather, and a number of legal/liability issues.

The car manufacturers all want to position themselves as leaders and aspire to the full challenges of driverless cars. I maintain that this is just smart marketing. It dovetails nicely with their investment in features like automatic parking, lane changing, etc. while never necessarily going much further than that.

To make a compelling argument that driverless cars will happen you need to support that with more than the fact that car manufacturers talk a lot about it in marketing materials.
Did you even watch that Tesla video where the car drove from A to B and then parked itself on "real roads, in real conditions, on a real public road, inter acting with real drivers and real bicycles and real pedestrian traffic with no input from the driver... ? Of course it's not only possible it IS happening TODAY...
Old 02-26-17, 06:54 PM
350htrr

What about people in rural areas that drive trucks and farm equipment on dirt roads? What about people that navigate a four-wheel jeep up a frozen mountain road in the winter to their cabin? Those people don't get to exist anymore? You'll get push-back that will last for generations at least.

I've just scratched the surface with a couple of niche items. There are emergency vehicle drivers that navigate around novel situations in the roads that totally driverless car is just not going to figure out in the foreseeable future. Many other examples I don't have time to write. The world is complex and driverless cars have operated nowhere at all. And not adequately tested around children and bicycle riders. And everybody pretends the sensor issues will solve themselves somehow. Technology does not happen because you want it. That's why we don't have things like personal aircraft, that we were sure to have by now. But we DO have the internet, which nobody even thought of.
I would say that there will be a manual mode for decades...
Old 02-26-17, 07:01 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2671 Post(s)
Liked 1,151 Times in 872 Posts
raceN

the real test bed for driverless vehicles would be a road races ... much of todays digital tech in autos is derived straight out of F1 racing ... irrespective of my disdain for driverless autos i think we will see a driverless auto race within the next 5 years

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.