Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Know of any gov-funded cycling-advocacy org that not doing it job:

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Know of any gov-funded cycling-advocacy org that not doing it job:

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-16, 03:59 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
tax deductible charities are private funds diverted from going away in taxes to the government.
Well, a little. I haven't been able to deduct charitable giving for years. My standard deduction is always more than the couple thousand a year I give charitably, so I get no return from the giving. I'm sure I'm not alone.
Old 04-06-16, 11:09 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by molten
That not responding to actually "advocate", hence stand-up to argue for, for cyclists.
Like joining a cyclist's action to present an issue to city/county council, traffic commission, etc.
Add the group not serving an obligation to speak to the media, when issues like potholes, lack of gov. action to repair roads -- etc. go on.
Do you? Please be forward and tell us if you think you have one in mind, otherwise this cryptic question is not a good one but a rant in the making, which I suppose I will see by the end of the second page I have not read YET.
Old 04-06-16, 11:10 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Originally Posted by dynodonn
Don't laugh, I think it's listed just before Klingon in Google.
Old 04-06-16, 11:11 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

I guess the answer is no.
Old 04-07-16, 06:49 AM
molten

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
I don't think there are any complete sentences anywhere in that post that make any sense. I can't figure out what you want. Apologies if you are not a native English speaker.
ItsJustYou
Old 04-07-16, 07:01 AM
molten

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
Although... most people don't think of advocacy groups as being publicly (government) funded.... many are. Any (which literally means every) lobbying group that influences congress in it's allocation of funding is entitled (under federal regulations) to class action funding. So... you could Google [search] for a "National Bicycle Lobbyist"... or you could just go directly to the League of American Bicyclists.

Of course... once any organization gets the bulk of it's funding from a single source... that is who/what they become. "The League" mostly lobbies for bicycle path infrastructure spending... and they get a percentage/class action funding in return... as I understand it. So road repair/potholes in streets... would be of no concern to them (making the short answer... no).

But you could try joining a local cycling group/club that may have shared interests in approaching local officials about the local street/traffic conditions.

However.... for most people the first response to a "pot hole" or "traffic problem" is to call the/their local city commissioner and ask that the problem be addressed.
Dave: your 2nd-to-last-sentence be what I came to bring the Thread for. When a cyclist wants to make/bring an issue to a local group/club. ADD: for the reason of future time, be it that the cyclist wants to bring the issue to city personnel. That be where/when the addt'l members, esp the admin of the club, would be of assistance. But with such cycling club admin who be of so inactive, to do so.
Add their other members who are insecure/afraid to go to such meetings.
This is what makes these groups so useless, who claim to "advocate."
Old 04-07-16, 07:52 AM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
...... other members who are insecure/afraid to go to such meetings.
You likely won't find "other" club member afflicted with Paranoia. Paranoia is not a common illness. In many cases it is merely a symptom of another disorder. You need to seek treatment! See your doctor and share you feelings/thoughts/concerns. You don't have to live in fear.

This is what makes these groups so useless, who claim to "advocate."
You don't need to deal with politicians and laws to advocate. That isn't even what the word means. You could champion and/or promote the use of bicycles by simply joining a club and enjoying the group rides. Or by giving a small cash gift to a local bicycle co-op. Or donating to a charity that would provide bicycles (and other gifts) to children at Christmas.

But your ability to help others may be limited by your own illness. First... get yourself the help you need. Rid yourself of the crippling paranoia and fear.... so you can then help others.

Last edited by Dave Cutter; 04-07-16 at 08:03 AM.
Old 04-09-16, 10:38 PM
molten

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
You likely won't find "other" club member afflicted with Paranoia. Paranoia is not a common illness. In many cases it is merely a symptom of another disorder. You need to seek treatment! See your doctor and share you feelings/thoughts/concerns. You don't have to live in fear.

You don't need to deal with politicians and laws to advocate. That isn't even what the word means. You could champion and/or promote the use of bicycles by simply joining a club and enjoying the group rides. Or by giving a small cash gift to a local bicycle co-op. Or donating to a charity that would provide bicycles (and other gifts) to children at Christmas.

But your ability to help others may be limited by your own illness. First... get yourself the help you need. Rid yourself of the crippling paranoia and fear.... so you can then help others.
What "illness" is this quoted/classified as? What is that 1st sentence about? Only insulting another one'es comments? You would be a challenge to argue against, at a city council meeting --- in front of politicos. (you) Got the guts to do it?
Local clubs are too generalized in what their goals are; not what the members want. One who efforts the time & energy to "advocate" )me( does not have an (your quoted word) "illness" as you call it. Because the majority of human animals are afraid to do it.
In another BF thread, I have put interest in another BF member to visit/speak at "public meetings" --- so to make "public speech" about his issue. As the majority of citizens are afraid to do. Likely including you. At least I got him to stand up for HIS ISSUE/BELIEF -- that he needs to (your quoted word) "ADVOCATE" for himself---- on to the local politicos.

Last edited by molten; 04-09-16 at 10:49 PM.
Old 04-10-16, 07:26 AM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
What "illness" is this quoted/classified as? What is that 1st sentence about? Only insulting another one'es comments?
Of course I am NOT insulting you. It was YOU that complained of an illness "paranoia" holding back your progress here in post #11 :

..... much of society is INSECURE nowadays. As taxpayers who contact to local & govt officials -- once contact be made, their name become avail to the public. Much of society be paranoia to making public comment, due to name of who made comments (add comments) made at public meetings -- possibly to become published or televised. So much paranoia.
You would be a challenge to argue against, at a city council meeting --- in front of politicos. (you) Got the guts to do it?
Few people enjoy public speaking. But that IS NOT what you described. Yes. I have been to counsel meetings. We have a civic duty to represent ourselves.

I have put interest in another BF member to visit/speak at "public meetings" --- so to make "public speech" about his issue. As the majority of citizens are afraid to do. Likely including you. ....
If you are afraid of your government... you live in tyranny. But you didn't use the word tyranny.... you posted paranoia. I can only address your posts... I have no way of knowing what you secretly may mean or don't mean.

Last edited by Dave Cutter; 04-30-16 at 08:06 PM.
Old 04-30-16, 08:16 AM
molten

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Im sure like any big government spending there are some advocacy groups that spend their money wisely, and some that dont. I would like to hear and see proof which ones are not.
Just like citizens "would like to hear and see proof which ones are." As the one who are spending taxpayers money wisely ---- are even more rare to find.
Old 04-30-16, 07:37 PM
molten

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
I don't think there are any complete sentences anywhere in that post that make any sense. I can't figure out what you want. Apologies if you are not a native English speaker.
How much are you commited to your "Apologies"?
Old 05-01-16, 03:03 PM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
That not responding to actually "advocate", hence stand-up to argue for, for cyclists.
Like joining a cyclist's action to present an issue to city/county council, traffic commission, etc.
Add the group not serving an obligation to speak to the media, when issues like potholes, lack of gov. action to repair roads -- etc. go on.
There are several bike organizations in the region. But they all seem to be 'biding their time'. As to the legislative calendars.