Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-17, 11:29 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
Found this under a bunch of grime as Peloton cleanup continues.

A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 04-17-17, 09:35 AM
PeregrineA1 

Bikes: Wizard, Eisentraut, Paramount, Litton, Turner, Surley, Trek, Kona, Landshark, Hujsak, Masi, Tesch, Holland, Retrotec, Spectrum

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by plonz
Seriously cool ride you're building. With that head badge, this thing needs to find its way down to the Republic of Texas.

Made in Wimberley....

Maybe I'll take to Austin one day. We go regularly for food and music.
Old 04-17-17, 09:56 AM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
Originally Posted by plonz
Seriously cool ride you're building. With that head badge, this thing needs to find its way down to the Republic of Texas.
Hey @plonz and @PeregrinA1, why am I not seeing your photos? All I get is a circle with a minus sign (-) in the middle.

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.

USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!
Old 04-17-17, 10:05 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Mounting toe-clips on the fresh build/painted '97 Trek 7000 rigid. The new Acera shifters and RD work silky smooth and quick. I'm getting this beast ready for the first real trail ride up our Avalance Mt hill and trail system.
Old 04-17-17, 11:53 AM
PeregrineA1 

Bikes: Wizard, Eisentraut, Paramount, Litton, Turner, Surley, Trek, Kona, Landshark, Hujsak, Masi, Tesch, Holland, Retrotec, Spectrum

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DQRider
Hey @plonz and @PeregrinA1, why am I not seeing your photos? All I get is a circle with a minus sign (-) in the middle.

No idea, though I see the same symbol on some other photos on this and other threads. Not for my pics though.
Old 04-17-17, 01:10 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1608 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
Waxed the Pinarello.
Old 04-17-17, 01:24 PM
GordoTrek

Bikes: 1962 Carlton Franco-Suisse Custom,1968 Raleigh DL-1/Tourist, 1971 Holdsworth Professional, 1973 Holdsworth Mistral,1973 Raleigh Gran Sport,1974 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1993 Trek 2200 Composite, 2011 Trek 7.3FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
A friend of mine has been commuting on an old run-down MTB that is too small for him. He mentioned it "broke" and he's without a bike now. I told him I could fix it for him without asking him what "broke" means. He said it's not worth it, because it was always too small for him, and I realize that he's right. Whether the bike is worth fixing or not, it's not worth fixing for him.

Someone left an English 3-speed in the basement of my apartment building long ago. I asked, and no one claims to own it, so I took it and fixed it up. It had been decades since anyone had so much as rolled it along the floor, so it was really stiff. I aired up the tires and applied oil everywhere, and it's good again. There is some rust, but this will be a beater bike, so it's not worth fixing up. There was a lot of dust and grime on it, but it washed off easily.

I can't tell what year bike it is. The rear wheel has been replaced with a wheel that has a SunTour 3-speed hub. I know this hub. It's an exact copy of the Sturmey Archer AW hub, but it has no date code or oil port. I took the indicator chain out and dropped oil in there.

The bike has also had its left crank replaced and its brake pads and obviously the saddle. The seat post moves, and I raised it an inch for myself. It will go higher for my friend who is taller than I am. I couldn't find a proper hammer, so I wasn't able to give the stem expander bolt a proper blow. I wasn't able to free the wedge in the stem and move the stem, but it might not be stuck once it is met with a hammer. The bolt does turn in the stem. I'm leaving it as is for now.

The tires have no dry rot!

I took it for a 2.6-mile ride around the neighborhood. I want to get rid of the rattle from the little ornament on the front of the front fender. Plus there is a click each time the master link comes around the rear cog, so there may be some alignment problem. Maybe the master link is banging on the chainguard.

Ideally, I will overhaul the BB, front hub, and headset. But I'm not sure I will. The front hub is very rough and may not last much longer, but then again, betting against the Raleigh's longevity isn't necessarily a good idea.

Can anyone guess what year this is?

Please remind me: which side does the adjustable cone of the front hub go on?

judging by the decals, i would say late 60's ? If you are not worried too much about a full rebuild, you could always drop a few ounces of manual transmission fluid down the seat post, to lube the bottom bracket. This way you don't have to fight with those cotters. That was a trick i learned from my CoOp. Kinda of a hack, but it works. I wouldn't do it if i owned it of course
Old 04-17-17, 02:03 PM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 267 Posts
Been getting final adjustments made on my 66 & 71 Super Sports during this cold/wet Winter & Spring. Twice recently a sunbreak led me to gather my gear, pump up the 66 only to find it was raining again. So I dug out an old pair of Honjo fenders, cleaned/polished & mounted them. Also changed to an Arabesque Shimano 600 crankset on the 71. Lots of daylight shows running 28 tires on the 66, so I will probably be able to go to 36 or 42 when these are worn out. Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
66-SS-1.jpg (102.0 KB, 335 views)
66-SS-2.jpg (101.2 KB, 329 views)
71-SS-1.jpg (100.0 KB, 332 views)
71-SS-2.jpg (100.2 KB, 330 views)

Last edited by ollo_ollo; 04-17-17 at 02:12 PM. Reason: correction
Old 04-19-17, 09:07 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7350 Post(s)
Liked 2,475 Times in 1,438 Posts
Originally Posted by GordoTrek
judging by the decals, i would say late 60's ? If you are not worried too much about a full rebuild, you could always drop a few ounces of manual transmission fluid down the seat post, to lube the bottom bracket. This way you don't have to fight with those cotters. That was a trick i learned from my CoOp. Kinda of a hack, but it works. I wouldn't do it if i owned it of course
Either in this thread or another one, some folks have helped me identify the year to be 1969 or thereabouts.

I've oiled BB spindles by dropping oil where the spindle meets the cups, and I did that here, too. I could add some to the seat tube, too, so thanks for the tip.

My friend and I have scheduling problems, so I STILL haven't handed the bike off to him.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-19-17, 09:34 AM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
Many things but the very latest is another road bike. This is how I Built it up quick for some test rides. I will bring it down for some frame touch up and component change out.
Attached Images
IMG_1186.jpg (98.6 KB, 314 views)

Last edited by 3speedslow; 04-19-17 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Added
Old 04-19-17, 10:17 AM
tiredhands 
Sempiternal Newb

Bikes: '92 Trek 750, '85 Univega Gran Turismo, '95 Stumpjumper,

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
I've been working on two very different projects: A late 80s Schwinn Mirada reimagined as a slow and sturdy cruiser with Wald fenders and an early 90s Performance branded frame built as a flat bar 9 speed - high speed commuter. The Mirada is complete and on the local c'list, and all the Performance needs is crank bolts for some Ultegra cranks and a swifter-looking saddle before it gets listed as well.

Old 04-19-17, 10:59 AM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Either in this thread or another one, some folks have helped me identify the year to be 1969 or thereabouts.

I've oiled BB spindles by dropping oil where the spindle meets the cups, and I did that here, too. I could add some to the seat tube, too, so thanks for the tip.

My friend and I have scheduling problems, so I STILL haven't handed the bike off to him.
If the shifter is original (from the the rear wheel was replaced), you can get a date range from that. The chainring may nail down the date closer - see here:
'The Headbadge' - Vintage bicycle information
Old 04-19-17, 06:11 PM
Billyensign

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Walmart Granite Peak, Custom Wile E Coyote Bike using a Panasonic frame

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Changed my winter wheels and brake pads to summer wheels today.
Also used for the first time a dropout adjustment tool; well worth the investment.
Went for a ride, one of my pedals creak. (Cheap ebay platform) Just opened and I have silver dust inside. It all fun.
Old 04-23-17, 08:12 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
After converting my Peloton from 9-speed Dura Ace STIs to 10-speed Dura Ace downtube shifters late last week (loving it), it was time to use the now un-used Dura Ace pieces on another bike. Basically, between three of my bikes, everything is getting shuffled. The Peloton is in her 'final form' for numerous reasons--she is also in her best form.

My Ross Signature, which has been acing this unbelievably wet and crappy fall/winter/spring finally gets Shimano STIs. I had been running 8-speed Record Ergos with a Chorus FD and Mirage RD with Dura Ace cranks and single pivot Shimano Exage Sport brakes of the standard reach variety, and it was time to make it all the same. Snagged some absolute gems of Shimano BR-R650 dual pivot calipers in standard reach in the used brake bin at Recycled Cycles. Ultegra/Dura Ace level stuff in 47-57mm standard reach for a killer price. The bike and fenders were cleaned and lightly polished for the occasion of the arrival of all Dura Ace pieces. Gatorskins on the DA/polished MA-2 rims and we are set!

Test rode my re-built-up again Raleigh 531 (3x10 Veloce through Record) after completing it yesterday (or was it Friday?) and rode it before rain got the better of my fenderless excursions. After trying to sell the frameset (one I picked up at last year's Bike Swap for just $40) for months, having concluded that it was not really lighting my fire, I built it up to see if I could sell it, with a very outside chance of keeping it, I am........keeping it! The Nitto Noodles look fantastic on it and the DB 531 frame is a delight to ride. How did I not feel that before**********? Keeper!

Did a lot of tire swapping out this weekend. Oh man.

The Campy stuff from the Ross will go on a Cannondale and get sold. Another frame or two will get built up and sold for a good price to get them out of my possession.

Will try to do some more work on my Paramount restoration.

I also snagged a sweet 1987 Schwinn Super Sport with the later-in-the-year paint job for a really great price that came with DA/MA40 wheels as an upgrade to the 6209-era 600 pieces. And Paramount road cycling shoes. Fun!

Last edited by RiddleOfSteel; 04-23-17 at 08:25 PM.
Old 04-23-17, 08:34 PM
fleslider 

Bikes: 1974 Paramount ~ 1974 Raleigh Pro ~ 1977 Pro-Tour ~ 1978 TX900 ~ IronMan 85,87:E/M,88:M/Pro,89:E ~ 98 Peugeot Festina Replica

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 91 Posts
Ok it may not be to much C&V but one ive been wanting to build, a late 90's Mountain Bike with Hydraulic Magura rim brakes.
So here it is a 1999 GT Avalanche

Magura Raceline D Hydraulic Rim Brakes
Rock Shox SID Fork
XTR Rear hub,Cassette, Derailueuer.
Deore LX 9 Speed Shifter
Basic 1x setup on 175 mm Truvativ 2 piece cranks
Race Face Seatpost
GT Saddle has a Wood looking texture to it
GT Platform Pedals
GT Stem and GT Handlebars
Old 04-23-17, 09:16 PM
Velocivixen

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
@noglider - on Raleigh hubs the adjustable cone goes on the non drive side of the front hub.

Don't have much in the way of photos, but I bought a 1987 Canadian built Peugeot "City Express". The chrome chain stay protector shows a Canadian flag and says made in Canada in French. I only did a short parking lot test ride, but I can't wait to really ride this baby. It's the step through model and, deceptively, looks huge. The bottom bracket is about 12" off the ground, seat tube only 19", and the head tube is about 8.5" tall. Has cantilever brakes, 26" alloy rims and riser handlebars. Shimano indexed 6-speed thumb shifters with 28/38/48 front and 14/15/18/22/28/34 rear, Shimano "Light Action" front/rear derailleurs. Guy I bought it from got it in Portland at an estate sale from the original owner. Paint is 8/10 - rose-beige, frame dropouts aligned, wheels dished well. Still has the shop sticker & shop water bottle. Shop is still around, but changed their name when the owner died.

So far I've cleaned and re packed bottom bracket, headset, both wheel hubs, freewheel and brake calipers (Shimano AT50). Installed new brake cables/housing/pads front & rear. I also washed, polished then waxed the frame. Color sometimes look more muted plum, and other times beige shimmer.

According to the 1987 US Peugeot brochure, this bike is all original. First owner added a silver Blackburn Mtn rear rack with an attatched collapsing grocery basket, and a kickstand. And carved his Oregon Drivers License # on the downtube.

Here's the link. Could someone please do a picture assist?
https://www.bikeboompeugeot.com/Broch...0Page%2021.jpg

Last edited by Velocivixen; 04-23-17 at 09:35 PM.
Old 04-23-17, 09:44 PM
fleslider 

Bikes: 1974 Paramount ~ 1974 Raleigh Pro ~ 1977 Pro-Tour ~ 1978 TX900 ~ IronMan 85,87:E/M,88:M/Pro,89:E ~ 98 Peugeot Festina Replica

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by Velocivixen
@noglider - on Raleigh hubs the adjustable cone goes on the non drive side of the front hub.

Don't have much in the way of photos, but I bought a 1987 Canadian built Peugeot "City Express". The chrome chain stay protector shows a Canadian flag and says made in Canada in French. I only did a short parking lot test ride, but I can't wait to really ride this baby. It's the step through model and, deceptively, looks huge. The bottom bracket is about 12" off the ground, seat tube only 19", and the head tube is about 8.5" tall. Has cantilever brakes, 26" alloy rims and riser handlebars. Shimano indexed 6-speed thumb shifters with 28/38/48 front and 14/15/18/22/28/34 rear, Shimano "Light Action" front/rear derailleurs. Guy I bought it from got it in Portland at an estate sale from the original owner. Paint is 8/10 - rose-beige, frame dropouts aligned, wheels dished well. Still has the shop sticker & shop water bottle. Shop is still around, but changed their name when the owner died.

So far I've cleaned and re packed bottom bracket, headset, both wheel hubs, freewheel and brake calipers (Shimano AT50). Installed new brake cables/housing/pads front & rear. I also washed, polished then waxed the frame. Color sometimes look more muted plum, and other times beige shimmer.

According to the 1987 US Peugeot brochure, this bike is all original. First owner added a silver Blackburn Mtn rear rack with an attatched collapsing grocery basket, and a kickstand. And carved his Oregon Drivers License # on the downtube.

Here's the link. Could someone please do a picture assist?
https://www.bikeboompeugeot.com/Broch...0Page%2021.jpg
Pic Assist:
Old 04-24-17, 06:40 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Spent yesterday afternoon doing long-overdue maintenance on the Bianchi. Oh, I've cleaned and lubed it occasionally, but untold recreational miles and even more commuting miles, some in rain, can really gum things up.

Was there a thread recently about parts which were worn beyond their useful life?
Old 04-24-17, 07:26 PM
primo123

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
This Miele frame has been sitting for a long time. I finally resuurected the old thing for a daily. Looks beat to hell, but rides good (Ive since ran brakes, cables, and added a chain.

Old 04-25-17, 02:40 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,602 Times in 1,764 Posts
Picked this up many years ago, and stuffed it in the attic as I was working on other things at the time. Kinda forgot about it until last weekend. Took it down, dusted it off, put 100 psi in the tires, and off I went. I came back rather impressed.

Currently on the stand for some further cleaning and maintenance, before I take some "after" pictures. This is a seller's pic from 2012 or thereabouts. 1984 Batavus Professional. It has a mixture of 6207 and 6400 parts, probably the result of an earlier upgrade to 7-speed.

Old 04-25-17, 03:12 PM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 274 Posts
I'm working on a 1986 Schwinn Voyageur:

https://flic.kr/s/aHskYfVeGS

The seatpost is seized, so I've got penetrating oil working at that. I haven't dug into the hubs yet, I suspect I may need new ones, we shall see. The SR SP-11 pedals will need an overhaul for sure, they are gravelly when I try to rotate them. The rear derailleur has issues, so I will replace that. Everything else is pretty good. Just need to clean up some rust spots and find some British Green touch-up paint. Minor rust on the shiny bits came off nicely with Evapo-Rust. The Shimano Biopace crankset will go away, in favor of a Sugino triple.
Attached Images
34221527925_5f82845c9e_z.jpg (99.5 KB, 257 views)
Old 04-26-17, 02:20 PM
toavii

Bikes: 1989 Tommasini Super Prestige, 1985 Chris Kvale, 1977 Colnago Super, 1992 Serotta Colorado, 1984 Schwinn Cimarron

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 20 Posts
Went into the week wanting a project. Now I have two...

1996 Cinelli Supercorsa SLX

1986 Schwinn Cimarron

Have a bunch of stuff coming in for Cimarron that I think will turn it into a pretty fun tool.
Old 05-01-17, 12:26 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
I am getting a 56cm 1983 Centurion Pro Tour 15 (now 18!) ready for sale. Got new canti pads and 27" tires for it and put it all together. It's my first foray into the canti brake world, having them fully disassembled and reassembling all of it. It's actually gone quite well--pretty straightforward, though you won't see me giving up my rim brakes any time soon.. It's going to be a bit of assemble, then sell, assemble another, then sell. Get some money back in my pocket, and get bikes out of my place. Seven is a workable number and I'm at about eight, plus frames etc. Can't have it like this so action is being taken. Also at this juncture, I am tired of projects. I've built a lot over this long fall/winter/spring and it's time for the main event(s) bikes and not side shows. My proverbial cup is full.
Old 05-01-17, 08:03 AM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
Took this Peloton to bare frame for cleanup and rebuild and riding. Still needs replacement of mismatched rims and correct FD, along with clips and straps and other little things here and there... maybe swap out the 39T ring as well, and the RD required a new cage (incorrect but good)... so much more will happen to this one over time. Anyway:

A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera

Last edited by Fahrenheit531; 05-01-17 at 08:07 AM.
Old 05-01-17, 08:21 PM
flying_rhino

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I guess this counts as wrenching: Took the Centurion out for a shakedown ride. I am going to have to change the horrid Tange Aero Levin out as it loosened up on after a couple of miles (I don't have the corresponding special headset wrench and my hack solution obviously isn't cutting it). Other impressions: After riding dual pivot brakes, the old Dia Compes just don't instill a lot of confidence. Hard to believe I used to bomb downhills at 40mph+ on similar technology. The inability to dial the single bolt seat post to that perfect setting also makes me appreciate two bolt adjustment systems. Add in forgetting my water bottle and it was an inauspicious debut to say the least.
Attached Images
image.jpg (93.5 KB, 392 views)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.