Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Official Trek FX Thread

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Official Trek FX Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-15, 11:22 PM
dgunay

Bikes: Giant

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by usood89
Thanks! I will be going next week to buy a 7.3 or 7.2 for myself (can't decide), and a 7.2 wsd for my girlfriend. Only thing is wouldn't you guys wait for the 2016 to come out or just go for the 2015? No upgrades we know of?
I'd pick 7.3. Better handlebar, better frame, better (lighter) fork, etc. better bike overall. It is worth the difference.
Old 06-15-15, 11:22 PM
FasterNU

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are no upgrades for the 2016 7.4 (other than the Firebrand color). I am still on the fence between the 2015 7.3 Lime Green and the 2016 7.4 Firebrand (bright orange). I like both colors more than Trek's default black, gray or white.
I don't know if I can justify the cost difference for a carbon fork and slightly better derailleur.
I would like to add that of all the LBSs I've visited, the staff at the Trek Superstore were by far the most knowledgeable and helpful. (REI came in second and everyone else was useless. Avoid Dick's.)
Old 06-16-15, 06:32 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 220 Posts
Originally Posted by FasterNU
There are no upgrades for the 2016 7.4 (other than the Firebrand color). I am still on the fence between the 2015 7.3 Lime Green and the 2016 7.4 Firebrand (bright orange). I like both colors more than Trek's default black, gray or white.
I don't know if I can justify the cost difference for a carbon fork and slightly better derailleur.
Much better looking crank on the 7.4
Old 06-16-15, 09:54 AM
Rsmith11

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would like to add that of all the LBSs I've visited, the staff at the Trek Superstore were by far the most knowledgeable and helpful. (REI came in second and everyone else was useless. Avoid Dick's.)

I don't know if you have a Scheels near you, but they are Trek dealer's and are knowledgeable and have the best customer service.
Old 06-16-15, 11:04 AM
zeeway

Bikes: Trek Madone 2.5, single speed

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
Bought and installed a combo duo trap sensor and a computer yesterday on my 7.4fx. One of the Cateyes would have been cheaper, but I was sucked in by the sensor pocket build into the frame. Install was straight-forward - my biggest challenge was taking off the left pedal to install the cadence sensor. So you need two tools, a small metric hex wrench (I have a set), and a 15 mm open end wrench for the pedal removal (it has a left hand thread). The setup was easy since there are specific tire sizes built in which makes calibration easy. And I am happy to report, everything is working.

Angie

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Bike Computer.jpg (69.1 KB, 932 views)
Old 06-16-15, 04:28 PM
DeltaFoxtrtZulu

Bikes: Trek FX 7.4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just picked up my White 7.4 FX a couple weekends ago and I'm loving it so far. Rode it almost every day last week. A few 7.5-9 mile rides and a long 24 mile ride on the weekend. Might be pushing it a bit this early, but I'm excited to get out there and ride and actually start getting more serious about exercise. Loving mine so far. I did add a gel seat pad as a temporary solution while I look into a replacement more comfortable seat. Some of the suggestions in this thread sound very promising.

Just picked up some Shimano Click'R shoes(41) and pedals(400) that I'm looking forward to trying out. Got them installed but haven't had the time to practice or ride with them yet.

Originally Posted by johnbash612
I had to make some adjustments on my own because I was too lazy to take the bike to my LBS, plus its a great learning experience to learn how to do it. The front brakes got off balance pretty quickly, I had to adjust them. I took my wheel off once or twice carefully and it still happened. My gfs 2014 Trek 7.2 had the exact same issue. I also had to adjust the front derailleur, I had chain rub like nobodies business, so I had to adjust the high/low and actually pull the cable tighter on the derailleur. With that said, the adjustments were damn easy and a great way to learn about my brand new bike.
I had to do the exact same things to my FX. The front brake was a little off (I do associated this with removing the front wheel too). Found a video guide and fixed those up. And my front derailleur was causing rub in the 3 smallest rear gears (middle front) I had to adjust the high/low and tighten the cable to get it to quiet down. Odd, but as you said, a good learning experience to do it myself.
Old 06-16-15, 09:33 PM
yashinon

Bikes: Trek Domane

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
The carbon fork is worth it! You can really feel the quality in the 7.4, at least I can. LOVE MINE!
Old 06-17-15, 07:38 AM
Catinella

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX (2015), Trek 1500 SLR (2005)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by yashinon
The carbon fork is worth it! You can really feel the quality in the 7.4, at least I can. LOVE MINE!
I have the 7.4, and am finding it a great bike. Keep in mind that only the non-disc version of the 7.4 has the carbon fork.
Old 06-17-15, 07:42 AM
Bad Girl 1

Bikes: 2014 Trek 7.7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by marimorimo
Did you end up replacing the stem? I'm shorter than you (5'2 on a good day) and I find the stem too short for me! I like the IsoZone grips but unfortunately for me I find the handlebars too wide for my shoulders which results in pain and numbness after 25+ km. Because the handlebars are too wide for me, adding bar ends won't help me either.
I'm 5'1" and have a 2014 FX 7.7. I added LOOK Kéo 2 Max Carbon Road Pedals, a Serfas Dual Density gel seat, and the usual water cages. I love it except for the handlebar. It's simply too wide. I'm now looking at replacing it. I'm considering the Bontrager UCI Legal SC Bar. Has anyone tried replacing the handlebar?

Last edited by Bad Girl 1; 06-17-15 at 07:47 AM. Reason: forgot punctuation
Old 06-17-15, 07:38 PM
dhopper521

Bikes: Trek 2014 7.2x

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 2014 7.2 FX. Love it. I'm sure the higher models are better but the 7.2 is great. I do about 40-50 miles per week. Great bike. Whatever you get, enjoy!
Old 06-17-15, 08:20 PM
yashinon

Bikes: Trek Domane

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Bad Girl 1
I'm 5'1" and have a 2014 FX 7.7. I added LOOK Kéo 2 Max Carbon Road Pedals, a Serfas Dual Density gel seat, and the usual water cages. I love it except for the handlebar. It's simply too wide. I'm now looking at replacing it. I'm considering the Bontrager UCI Legal SC Bar. Has anyone tried replacing the handlebar?
I replaced the ISOZone bar on my 7.4 w/ the Bontrager Race Lite bar. A lot better IMO! The UCI Legal bar looks sweet but pricey!
Old 06-17-15, 11:02 PM
FasterNU

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just picked up my new 7.4 (Fierbrand orange) and the duo trap today. I am so looking forward to tomorrow's commute.
Thanks to everyone for your advice and input.
Old 06-18-15, 07:57 AM
Rsmith11

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It seems like a lot of new people are getting FX's and enjoying them. I like the look of the 7.4 in White, but my LBS didn't even have one in stock. All they had were 7.4s in that grey color and I didn't like that. I went with the matte black 7.3 for the look. I'm wondering if I should have considered the 7.4 in white w/ carbon fork more seriously! But still, i love my 7.3.
Old 06-18-15, 11:33 AM
DeltaFoxtrtZulu

Bikes: Trek FX 7.4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rsmith11
It seems like a lot of new people are getting FX's and enjoying them. I like the look of the 7.4 in White, but my LBS didn't even have one in stock. All they had were 7.4s in that grey color and I didn't like that. I went with the matte black 7.3 for the look. I'm wondering if I should have considered the 7.4 in white w/ carbon fork more seriously! But still, i love my 7.3.
I had a similar problem. Tried and liked the black 7.3. Then the salesman made me try the gray 7.4 for the fork. I actually preferred some parts of the 7.3 over the 7.4 (shifting felt crisper/more controlled) and the looks for sure. I kinda felt the carbon fork was better but wasn't sure about it and the color. Came back another day and tried them both back to back and this time he had a white 7.4. I better understood what the fork was doing for me and I liked the white more than the gray so I ended up with the white 7.4.
Old 06-18-15, 01:07 PM
jstolo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm sure this has been answered already, but I'm looking for an updated OPINION from the group.

I am pretty much sold on a new 2016 7.4 FX. The problem I have is my LBS only has a 17.5" frame on the floor for me to try. I am 5'10" with a 31" inseam. Any road bike I have had in the past was always a 55cm - 56cm frame. The 17.5" felt a little small but the LBS said that is the right one for me... Whats your opinion? Just for a comparison I went to a different LBS that sells Raleigh and tried an Cadent 3 which is almost exactly the same but their frames are 17" and 19". The 19" frame fit me like a glove and they agreed. So what should I do? Thank you all in advance for your advice.
Old 06-18-15, 02:31 PM
zeeway

Bikes: Trek Madone 2.5, single speed

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by jstolo
I'm sure this has been answered already, but I'm looking for an updated OPINION from the group.

I am pretty much sold on a new 2016 7.4 FX. The problem I have is my LBS only has a 17.5" frame on the floor for me to try. I am 5'10" with a 31" inseam. Any road bike I have had in the past was always a 55cm - 56cm frame. The 17.5" felt a little small but the LBS said that is the right one for me... Whats your opinion? Just for a comparison I went to a different LBS that sells Raleigh and tried an Cadent 3 which is almost exactly the same but their frames are 17" and 19". The 19" frame fit me like a glove and they agreed. So what should I do? Thank you all in advance for your advice.
Well, you can ask LBS #1 to get in a Trek 7.4fx 20 inch frame, and try it out. While their advice is valuable, ultimately it is you that will know which ones feels right.
Old 06-18-15, 05:12 PM
FasterNU

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am 5'10" with a 33" inseam I love the fit of my 20" FX I did consider the 22.5" version but was advised to get the 20".
Old 06-18-15, 06:29 PM
Ktel16

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I am new to the forums. I have been thinking about getting a bike for some time now and narrowed it down to the trek 7.3 or 7.4. Well, here is my dilemma..my lbs has a white 7.4 fx which he will give it to me for $700. I know it is a good deal but I really wanted a matte black 7.3 which would cost $659.99. After seeing the white 7.4, i really like the white but think I like the matte black better but I feel like I cannot turn down this deal. What do you all think? Should I base my decision soley on color (in which I am sort of impartial now) or go with the best bang for my buck? Thanks and happy riding!
Old 06-18-15, 07:22 PM
knightblaze

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bought my wife the FX 7.2 (white with the metallic blue accents). As far as I know, only the colors are changed on the 16 models, but that Firebrand Orange is truly drool worthy. I literally had to have it right then and there. Finally picked both bikes up today and earnestly waiting a nice day/night I can ride around on it! I'll post up some photo's on a sunny day, should make the color pop more.
Old 06-18-15, 07:25 PM
knightblaze

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ktel16
So I am new to the forums. I have been thinking about getting a bike for some time now and narrowed it down to the trek 7.3 or 7.4. Well, here is my dilemma..my lbs has a white 7.4 fx which he will give it to me for $700. I know it is a good deal but I really wanted a matte black 7.3 which would cost $659.99. After seeing the white 7.4, i really like the white but think I like the matte black better but I feel like I cannot turn down this deal. What do you all think? Should I base my decision soley on color (in which I am sort of impartial now) or go with the best bang for my buck? Thanks and happy riding!

The 7.4 comes with some upgrades aside from the Carbon Fork (have yet to ride mine to really see the difference). The shop should be able to provide you full details or even the trek website. The other plus are the Tubeless Wheels (need to get the proper tubes for them, but they are ready). One other thing is the 7.4 I believe comes with the presta valves (i need an adapter) and the 7.3 still comes with schrader valves. The others who are far better educated at the nuances between the variants can fill in the real differences.
Old 06-18-15, 07:44 PM
Ktel16

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by knightblaze
Bought my wife the FX 7.2 (white with the metallic blue accents). As far as I know, only the colors are changed on the 16 models, but that Firebrand Orange is truly drool worthy. I literally had to have it right then and there. Finally picked both bikes up today and earnestly waiting a nice day/night I can ride around on it! I'll post up some photo's on a sunny day, should make the color pop more.
I saw a firebrand orange 7.4 today and it really is beautiful! I took pics of the white one as well...

ps: sorry if the pics suck... my first time posting pics on here!
Attached Images
GWcf7i.jpg (81.1 KB, 1008 views)
3PaFJs.jpg (80.0 KB, 986 views)
rnYUmN.jpg (85.8 KB, 996 views)
e78Sbb.jpg (93.3 KB, 972 views)
3LOeFN.jpg (84.2 KB, 968 views)
Old 06-18-15, 07:50 PM
knightblaze

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Even the white is slick, they know how to pick the right colors! Thanks for posting the pics!
Old 06-18-15, 07:57 PM
Ktel16

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They really do! I really like the orange... If the bike shop had it in stock (22.5"), I would really consider getting it over the white... But then again I am so very picky and cannot decide what color I really want! Lol. I just think the matte black is kind of plain... I need some color!
Old 06-19-15, 02:11 AM
JGM411

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2 2014(i think) Giant Defy Advanced 2 2013 Trek 7.3, 1973 Schwinn Continental, 1967 AMF Hercules

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jstolo

I am 5'10' w/32' inseam. In 2013 I bought a 17.5' 7.3. I wish I would have gone with the 19 inch frame. My road bike is 54cm and it fits great.
Old 06-19-15, 07:19 AM
sh00k

Bikes: 2011 Trek FX 7.3 | 2015 Trek FX 7.4 | Lotus Classique

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Be very careful here and trust the lbs person on size but with a bit of skepticism. I say this bc the lbs told me that a 20" trek 7.2 was the better size for me (back in 09 or '10 i believe) and i bought it but it was the wrong size! it turns out they just had a 20" on the floor and wanted to get rid of it so they pushed and pushed and said 20" was the right size just for the sale. it was very slimey of them to do that but i sold the bike a couple months later for almost what i paid for it so it worked out in the end! but be very wary of them pushing floor models onto you.

at 5'10", i think the 20" frame is the better fit. unless your arms and legs are shorter than the average 5'10" person, i think the 17.5" model is far too small for you. im 6'1" and my wife is as well and we have long arms and legs. for us, the 22.5" is actually a better size.

when you are on the bike, sit on the seat and rotate the bars all the way left and all the right. if they come close to hitting your knees (raise your knee up like you are about to pedal), then the size is too small for you.

the above is what i used to size myself for the 22.5" but ultimately you have to go with what you think FEELS the best.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.